PDA

View Full Version : Animal Totems (Revisited)

eraser
06-11-2010, 06:16 PM
I see there was an older, now locked, thread on animal totems. I’d like to resurrect the topic.

About three years ago I came to believe that it’s possible to have a special, near-spiritual connection with certain animals. My own experiences led me to research the topic more thoroughly and I gained a better understanding of this connection through the book Animal Speak by Ted Andrews and the Medicine Cards of Jamie Sams and David Carson, as well as other sources.

This sense of kinship is difficult to describe. All I can say for certain is that it increases my respect for Nature (which was high to begin with) and cements my sense that we are all connected. It sounds a little loopy, but by coming to a better understanding of the animals I feel this kinship with, I have come to a better understanding of myself and my place in the natural scheme of things.

The Great Blue Heron is my primary totem. I also feel a special bond with chickadees, crows/ravens, trout, buffalo, moose and bears.

I’d like to know if anyone here feels similarly. Is there a certain animal you are drawn to – that perhaps you see more often than happenstance would indicate, or that you dream about often?

Spiritlite
06-11-2010, 07:28 PM
My primary is the owl for a variety of reasons, I see owls everywhere and during last full moon when I went to see the moon an owl flew over me. My secondary is a black panther only because when I asked spirit was my other animal totem was my black big cat came to me and rubbed on me, he literally looks like a black panther, he's as big as a small dog if not bigger and NOT ONE white hair on his body even his whiskers are black.
So for me it's owl and panther.
Spiritlite.

cheeky_monkey
06-11-2010, 07:30 PM
I feel close to the crow because I had an experience where I saw an apparition of a crow from my childhood. It was so real that it even created a breeze and noise as it flapped it's wings. I also feel close to a brown bird which I think is a woodpigeon, and most birds in general such as budgies, finches, pigeons, doves (doves were nesting in our neighbourhood this summer and my dad found and nursed an injured dove when I was a child)etc. Aswell as that I feel a closeness to hamsters and believe my pet hamster returned to say hello a few years ago. Guinea pigs, I had a dream my passed guinea pig was sitting on my bed and it was so vivid too. I even befriended a huge spider in my room, and have smelt the presence of a dog which is malting when I was alone in my room. I don't know if these count as totems or mystical experiences with animals but they have helped me in many ways.

Moon Willow
06-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Mine is the owl (I think I may share the same owl with my husband too), and I will often see through her eyes as I'm drifting off to sleep....it's funny seeing grass and mice in such vivid detail :D and in black and white! I also know when she is around alot because at night time I wake up alot and don't get much sleep! If I'm really tired I have to ask for her to step back a little so I can sleep without being woken up.

And recently I have a hawk totem coming through - don't know much about them yet but have a new book which I'm going to read and hopefully shed some light.

I love this topic and very excited to learn more!

Love, light and blessings,
Moon Willow :hug:

Kapitan_Prien
06-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I used to work with the Shark...but it my other is the Wandering Albatross.

If you have Albatross as your Totem: (http://www.wildspeak.com/vilturj/totems/walbatross.html)

People with this animal as a totem will often manifest traits similar to the animal itself. I work on the philosophy that we only have one totem, and it teaches us lessons as well as representing the core aspects of our personality. Therefore -

- Albatross people are wandering spirits that often find it hard to commit to any one path in life for too long (except that of wandering). People with albatross as a totem will often go where they want, when they want. Neither culture nor people can make them conform.

- Albatross people teach us the value of long-distance relationships, and monogamy despite great distance. They will overcome odds in order to show that long-distance relationships can be just as fruitful as other relationships.

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/science/abbbs/images/wandering-albatross.jpg

white_monarch
08-11-2010, 01:44 AM
I have two. I was told about the crocodile, and she is my main. The other has appeared to me in dreams and outside. I haven't had much interaction or really talked with either but here is some information.

Snake: Versatility, transformation, change, healer, spiritual muse, water, sexuality, fertility, control over emotion, intuition, ability to heal quickly, slow to anger - strike with control and precision, awakening of spiritual and magical intiution, observation, opened horizions, sensitive to environment, eternity, wisdom, transition, power, protector, rashness, guardian, collective consciousness, dreams.

Crocodile: Power struggle, ancient primal energy, tenacity, wisdom, contradiction, survival, patience, duality, balance in upper and underworld, rebirth, cunning, stealth, plutonium energy, timing, tenderness, Valuing of strength and building of personal power, understanding, dualism, Self-discipline, balance.

Also, I have a question for you guys. I'm actually working on an art series of Spirit animals. Would anyone mind if I used your stories toward the series and the animals I choose/scenes I use in it? I am so far using my croc and snake, my mother's bison, and a friend's humming bird.

Silver
08-11-2010, 01:53 AM
I grew up in an area of relatively easy access to the wilds, so animals of all sorts have been exciting to me. I wanted a horse all my life and eventually came to own one for 3 years and am always been crazy about them. I discovered that according to Chinese astrology, I'm a dragon, and so I believe they are a totem, too. Cats have always come around me even cats that people said didn't like strangers, that goes for dogs, too actually. In recent times, crows have become a totem for me, and I have a special affinity for all of these.

Rumar
08-11-2010, 02:31 AM
The only animals I have made spiritual connection to were:
Giant snapping turtle (bigger than a car)
a spirit of a cat (approached me while at work during a command BBQ)
Spirit of my friend's dog
Multi-headed snake
Giant Spider
Giant birds

Nothing really all spectacular when it comes to animal connections, but beings I have met tend to make it up, lol

earthprowler
08-11-2010, 03:19 AM
i suppose when I think about it I have two main ones. The Grey Wolf and the horse.

We actually had a wolf when I was growing up, she was a hybrid but still wolf and I "understood" her. When they say a wolf will go out of it's way to avoid attacking a human, it's very true, we saw it with a 7 year old that wandered into our yard one day and she was going to nail her when the girl yelled her name, she stopped dead in her tracks and turned around. But they will also protect without warning. we had an upper duplex in the back of our house (beware of dog signs everywhere), mom let the dogs out from eating, he came in the back, she took one leap (i swear to you 20 feet at least), he picked up a stick to hit her and she nailed him. anywhooo........very awesome dog.

I've also always had some weird connection to horses that i can't explain that they will let me near them quicker than some other people.

Sangress
08-11-2010, 05:25 AM
Crow and Raven
Most spiders
Albino Python
Deep Sea Dragonfish

Cat's absolutely adore me, But I have yet to accept a connection from them because they practically demand it (as well as many other selfish things,) which is a trait I dislike and do not wish to adopt.

Silver
08-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Crow, Raven and most spiders.

Cat's absolutely adore me, But I have yet to accept a connection from them because they practically demand it, which is a trait I dislike and do not wish to adopt.

I hear you, there~I think we have catnip in our blood or something.
:D

eraser
08-11-2010, 03:37 PM
...snip...

Cat's absolutely adore me, But I have yet to accept a connection from them because they practically demand it (as well as many other selfish things,) which is a trait I dislike and do not wish to adopt.
You sound a little snooty...you know...kinda like a...

Meow...

By denying cat's affections, you're acknowledging your own - let's call it "felinity" - and they, of course, being smarter than us in many ways, recognize that. They're being patient with you until you wise up. (Among many things cats can teach -- patience is way up there.) They understand you're a little slow but have faith you'll eventually come around. :wink:

Thanks all, for your responses thus far. I hope we can keep a dialogue going on this thread for a while. :smile:

Silver
08-11-2010, 03:50 PM
I posted this on myspace here in the forum and thought it would be interesting here~

I've always had an attraction to crows cause they're so big 'n' sassy. When I went riding (horses) with a friend one time, we were riding through tall trees and bamboo one day and there were crows talking to each other all around, and I let out a few 'caws' myself and my friend said, you're really changing, lol! I felt at one with them and always have. One time, I was going into a public building and there were about 2 or 3 crows around walking on the sidewalk and one in particular seemed like he was deliberately walking in front of my path, but he wasn't aggressive or scary, almost like a connection between us, like hi, how are ya, just cooly walking along the stair in front of me. And the thing about him or her, was that he seemed so perfect. Every feather laid just so, he looked so solid, unreal almost. I never get that picture out of my mind when ever I think of it, it seems amazing to me. I guess you had to be there, lol. Another thing, I like imagining that when birds fly near my car or butterflies or other creatures, they know it's my car, Iknow that sounds totally nuts, but it's kinda fun to imagine it is so~

cheeky_monkey
08-11-2010, 03:57 PM
I got pooped on by a pigeon the first time I met my mum's boyfriend. I like to imagine it was a sign too :D

Katiecat
08-11-2010, 06:59 PM
OK, Prien...I just asked in your other thread about albatrosses....I should have waited, because I found the answer here. Really weird because it fits a lot of my personality. When I was a child, I had to do a report at school about an animal. I had recently read a poem about albatrosses. So in order to learn more about them, I did my report on them. I actually became obsessed with the research and went above and beyond the minimal report requirements and ended up doing a full fledged research paper...in grade school. lol Ever since, I have considered them near and dear.

I have been told that I have a Turtle as a totem...by someone who could see it. They said it was my power animal and that I had turtle medicine. I have yet to fully understand this. However, the odd thing is...as a teenager, people use to buy me turtles all the time as gifts (figurines). -And I never asked or shown interest in a single one, but had (still have some) a tremendous collection.

NOW, I also kind of consider the domestic cat (or all cats really) my totem. Cats are my favorite animals. I love them, they love me. They show up on my farm, I feed them all. Currently I have ten cats that I feed outside. I cannot have an indoor cat right now due to my families allergies and it has caused much heartache for me. The reason I like to consider the "domestic" cat over any other is because I'm a house wife. I have domestic duties at home. Domestic indoor cats generally LOVE and REQUIRE an immaculately clean home. If you don't have a clean home for them, you are likely to have cat pee in inappropriate places. I am naturally a slacker. lol I'll admit it. I'm a slob. Lately, when I'm cleaning, I feel like I'm cleaning for a cat...and that the cat is there, motivating me. I know that sounds dumb. But that's how I feel led to believe. There are more to cats than the typical definition of "mysterious, independent, magical, blah blah blah." -They are all of those things, but they are much more.

In physical life, other than my many cats that live in my barn, I also see hawks. I see them perched on fence posts in front of me when i'm driving and I pass them. I see them every time I drive...and sometimes multiple ones on the same street. I seen one today, when I was outside with my cats...flying over my field. I was at my mom's house recently...in the city, and seen 3 hawks bathing in her birdbath! -How weird is that? I wonder if they have a message for me, or are protecting me.

elliestar11
11-11-2010, 11:07 PM
My totems are a red and silver winged dragon, and a white lion.

Sangress
11-11-2010, 11:35 PM
snooty...you know...kinda like a...

Meow...

By denying cat's affections, you're acknowledging your own - let's call it "felinity" - and they, of course, being smarter than us in many ways, recognize that. They're being patient with you until you wise up. (Among many things cats can teach -- patience is way up there.) They understand you're a little slow but have faith you'll eventually come around. :wink:
Probably true . . . .

*Hisses* I still don't like cats. ;p

But, lately I have been drawn to this one black street cat, a huge feline, that's been perched alongside one of "my" crows on the brick wall outside my house all week.

The entire fact that it hasn't been trying to eat the birds, and that it's guarding the house from all the other cats....makes me want to thank it.

So my intense dislike of cats may change yet.

Crows are easily the true ones I am connected with the most.

I've actually had several offers to be given crow chicks to raise, all in different circumstances (mind you, none dishonest circumstances,) but I'm not in the position to get a Wildlife License to make caring for such wonderful creatures legal. :(

I'll get it in a year though. I know I will. :)

I still have three crows that nest in my yard every year (and fly through the window and enjoy sitting on the backs of my chairs for some reason *facepalm*) so I don't think I am any less involved than I should me, chicks or not. Haha.

Mouse
12-11-2010, 03:13 PM
It's cats for me. I like them, they seem to like me. In terms of 'totems' I've had a vision/dream or two about black panthers...I feel that totems are about energy. They come into your consciousness because their energy pattern resonates with you. Something tells me that this is much much deeper than we know, just a gut feeling.

Thirteen
15-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Something I've noticed about crows. There is a large judicial building in Tampa FL.... it is the only building I see crows on, or flying around. Sure the occasional one resting somewhere, but they all seem to meet on the judicial building.

With cats... I've always like them and trusted them. I know my cat told me the position to place my crystals for recharging, the first night I wanted to.

Like dogs but don't get too much from them spiritually, other than our now departed ancient silky, and my timber wolf. Occasionally I initiate a visit with Wolf or wolf will find me. Also had an experience when my form in some other place turned into two ethereal wolf cubs to protect my children.

Though when I sought totem animals mine were always more exotic.

LightFilledHeart
15-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Something I've noticed about crows. There is a large judicial building in Tampa FL.... it is the only building I see crows on, or flying around. Sure the occasional one resting somewhere, but they all seem to meet on the judicial building.

With cats... I've always like them and trusted them. I know my cat told me the position to place my crystals for recharging, the first night I wanted to.

Like dogs but don't get too much from them spiritually, other than our now departed ancient silky, and my timber wolf. Occasionally I initiate a visit with Wolf or wolf will find me. Also had an experience when my form in some other place turned into two ethereal wolf cubs to protect my children.

Though when I sought totem animals mine were always more exotic.

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I have an affinity for crows as well, but they are not my totem. My mystical bond is with the timberwolf, and it has been my instructor/protector and toem from childhood through adulthood, appearing to me in dreams and visions, imparting wisdom and practical teachings as well. Then in my 30's I got the opportunity to help a friend raise a 7 week old full-blooded male timberwolf to adulthood. What an experience that was!!!! That wolf taught me every single day, and all my ordinary canine companions (dogs) have as well. The dogs teach unconditional love and also prompt their charges (their human "owners") to embrace and grow into certain attributes they would not otherwise have been able to on their own. Companion animals teach us and grow us, and they take their assignment very seriously. Even the subtlest of lessons is not without value... though we must be sensitive enough to "get" what's being transmitted. I love cats, but I've never felt a strong bond with one. They are more elusive and more of a distant teacher... less "hands on" than dogs. All are wonderful though. I'm so grateful for our animal teachers... those who are our totems, and those who merely share their medicine with us in passing :smile:

BlueSky
15-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I posted this on myspace here in the forum and thought it would be interesting here~

I've always had an attraction to crows cause they're so big 'n' sassy. When I went riding (horses) with a friend one time, we were riding through tall trees and bamboo one day and there were crows talking to each other all around, and I let out a few 'caws' myself and my friend said, you're really changing, lol! I felt at one with them and always have. One time, I was going into a public building and there were about 2 or 3 crows around walking on the sidewalk and one in particular seemed like he was deliberately walking in front of my path, but he wasn't aggressive or scary, almost like a connection between us, like hi, how are ya, just cooly walking along the stair in front of me. And the thing about him or her, was that he seemed so perfect. Every feather laid just so, he looked so solid, unreal almost. I never get that picture out of my mind when ever I think of it, it seems amazing to me. I guess you had to be there, lol. Another thing, I like imagining that when birds fly near my car or butterflies or other creatures, they know it's my car, Iknow that sounds totally nuts, but it's kinda fun to imagine it is so~

Native American legend says that the crow is so smart that when it had the opportunity to reincarnate as a human it chose to stay a crow. lol
Just thought I'd share that.
I really like the last part Silvergirl, and can really relate to it. I'd like to think that there is a relationship on a personal level with the birds and animals that visit and bless my life and I have plenty of stories to suggest that it is so.
I feel that I did my part in reestablishing such relationships and that they came to trust and know me.
Thinking about this, I can see how, here again, is another 'thing' I have pushed aside because I don't see how it can fit into how I see things now.
How stupid of me.......
Nice post, I enjoyed it very much and it brought back memories.
James

Native spirit
15-11-2010, 05:54 PM
:smile: Mine is the Crow everywhere i go they follow me,they are always around me
and also the Wolf i see him walking by my side.

Namaste

BlueSky
15-11-2010, 05:59 PM
:smile: Mine is the Crow everywhere i go they follow me,they are always around me
and also the Wolf i see him walking by my side.

Namaste

I use to follow what is called crow augury and it is pretty cool to see that these incidences we run into with nature can possibly have messages hidden in them.
The number of crows and the direction they appear from all have specific meaning that has been documented over the ages.
Ted Andrews is a master at this.
Have you ever looked deeper into the events of when the crows appear?
It's fun to do..........:smile:
James

Native spirit
15-11-2010, 06:18 PM
:smile: Hey james

No havent looked into it ill do that, what freaked my family out was when i buried my husband there were crows on the roof of my house, when i traveled in the car they were sitting on top of it, but when we buried him everyone just looked they couldnt believe their eyes, all the head stones had crows on them.
when i went back home they followed and were on my roof again.

Namaste

eraser
15-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I too believe that we have much to learn from our associations with our furred and feathered brethren. And I agree that not all companion animals are necessarily life-long totems. It's my sense that some animals will play a larger role in our lives when there is a specific lesson (or series of lessons) to be learned.

Once those lessons have been absorbed, we may be nudged in a different direction by another companion or two.

My kinship with the Blue Heron goes back to my childhood though, and I'm nearly 60 now. His presence has woven itself in and out of my life and helped open me to the teachings of others. It's an exciting and fulfilling time.

BlueSky
15-11-2010, 06:24 PM
:smile: Hey james

No havent looked into it ill do that, what freaked my family out was when i buried my husband there were crows on the roof of my house, when i traveled in the car they were sitting on top of it, but when we buried him everyone just looked they couldnt believe their eyes, all the head stones had crows on them.
when i went back home they followed and were on my roof again.

Namaste

I believe it! Wow.............that must have been comforting for you at the time.
I remember once finding a crow feather right after someone I knew passed away and when I found it, I was thinking about them so I looked up the meaning and it seems legend has it that crow feathers represent the souls of those who have passed.
Life is full of such cool mysteries isn't it! :smile:

BlueSky
15-11-2010, 06:32 PM
I too believe that we have much to learn from our associations with our furred and feathered brethren. And I agree that not all companion animals are necessarily life-long totems. It's my sense that some animals will play a larger role in our lives when there is a specific lesson (or series of lessons) to be learned.

Once those lessons have been absorbed, we may be nudged in a different direction by another companion or two.

My kinship with the Blue Heron goes back to my childhood though, and I'm nearly 60 now. His presence has woven itself in and out of my life and helped open me to the teachings of others. It's an exciting and fulfilling time.

I agree eraser……….
A little story:
I remember when the time came for me to learn my power animal totem. I went outside and reflected on this and suddenly heard an Owl. It happened again shortly thereafter and up till then, I never heard an Owl outside so I went in and got online and from the sound I heard, it was clear that it was a Great Horned Owl.
Being the way I was at the time, I still insisted on proof, so I went back out and asked for a 3rd ‘hooting’ to give me confirmation.
Nothing happened so I was a little surprised because the whole thing was kinda magical.
Anyways, I go inside, sit down with my family who is watching a movie and as soon as I sit, the scene on TV switched to a night scene and in the darkness let out the exact same hoot I heard outside!
My 3rd confirmation and in a way that left me with know doubt. How cool is that!
The mysteries of life.
James

eraser
15-11-2010, 08:31 PM
That's nifty, James. And yes, life is indeed full of mysteries.

Erato
18-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I believe my totem to be the mourning dove. It relates to the place I grew up and had my first childhood memories. Then they disappeared from my life. Not until I moved to my current place did they come back to me.
Their cooing comforts me and reminds me of home.

http://roughcreekproductions.com/images/mourning-dove-1-040703.jpg

Here is the part of what I relate to in their symbolism:
The dove is a member of the pigeon family and both hold the qualities of home, security and maternal instincts. Many with this totem will experience unsettling childhood's and will be challenged continually to acquire a solid secure foundation in all areas of their lives.

The legends and lore surrounding the dove associates it with many goddesses and it is considered the embodiment of the maternal instinct. The brood of dove consists of two eggs. Two represents the creative and feminine energies. Home and family are important to those with this totem and life lessons will be most predominant in these areas.

Since the dove is a ground feeder and eats mostly seeds those with this totem would benefit from a diet rich in wholesome seeds, nuts and grains. They would also do well in any health profession relating to nutrition.

The dove's song is its most distinctive feature. It can be heard throughout the day. The mourning coo of the Dove reflects hidden emotions stored within those who carry this medicine. How you perceive its sound often reflects the energies that are playing out in your life.

When dove appears it is asking us to go within and release our emotional discord, be it of the past or the present. It assists us in releasing trauma stored within our cellular memory. Humming can aid in this release.

Doves hold the energy of promise. When inner turmoil is cleared from our thoughts, words and feelings, the possibility of good fortune awaits us. In order to receive the gifts the doves bestows on us healing on all levels is paramount.

As per http://www.matchdoctor.com/blog_87724/Mourning_Dove.html (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .matchdoctor.com%252Fblog_87724%252FMourning_Dove. html)

BlueSky
18-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I believe my totem to be the mourning dove. It relates to the place I grew up and had my first childhood memories. Then they disappeared from my life. Not until I moved to my current place did they come back to me.
Their cooing comforts me and reminds me of home.

I’m kind of a bird nut and the cool thing, I think about mourning doves, is how they feed their young by regurgitating what is called ‘crop milk’.
The other cool thing is that the cooing sound they make is sometimes mistaken for my totem which is the Great Horned Owl.
Thanks for sharing…..they are an awesome peaceful bird.
James

Erato
18-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I’m kind of a bird nut and the cool thing, I think about mourning doves, is how they feed their young by regurgitating what is called ‘crop milk’.
The other cool thing is that the cooing sound they make is sometimes mistaken for my totem which is the Great Horned Owl.
Thanks for sharing…..they are an awesome peaceful bird.
James

Oh, wow. Never know about the "crop milk". What exactly is it? Thank YOU for teaching me something new, WhiteShaman. And it's only 9:30 am. :)

The mourning dove is a very common bird and indeed very peaceful, but the best thing about them is that they will never beg you for food like pigeons do. I leave seeds for them on the ground right around my bird feeder. I love birds as well.

BlueSky
18-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Oh, wow. Never know about the "crop milk". What exactly is it? Thank YOU for teaching me something new, WhiteShaman. And it's only 9:30 am. :)

The mourning dove is a very common bird and indeed very peaceful, but the best thing about them is that they will never beg you for food like pigeons do. I leave seeds for them on the ground right around my bird feeder. I love birds as well.

I think it is a milky undigested cottage cheezy regurgitated substance rich in fat and protein. Yum!
Thankfully there are alot of mourning doves because they are the ones that get hit by the hawks in my yard when hawks are around.
It is also my understanding that in Connecticut anyways, they use to be legally hunted and were a big source of food for early americans.

eraser
18-11-2010, 04:44 PM
I recently enjoyed watching a skirmish between a mourning dove and a chipmunk. Each took turns claiming ownership of the seeds that had fallen to the ground beneath one of my birdfeeders.

The mourning dove was first. The chipmunk approached from the rear and suddenly charged. The startled dove flew off a few feet and glared. The victorious chipmunk smugly began to feed.

Not so fast! The mourning dove circled behind the now-oblivious chipmunk and suddenly charged.

The chipmunk jumped like he'd been goosed but I'm pretty sure no contact was made.

The dove happily commenced eating.

But the chipmunk wasn't done....

Over the next few minutes, each chased the other about four times before a passing car's horn startled them both into taking cover. It was hilarious. :)

BlueSky
18-11-2010, 04:50 PM
I recently enjoyed watching a skirmish between a mourning dove and a chipmunk. Each took turns claiming ownership of the seeds that had fallen to the ground beneath one of my birdfeeders.

The mourning dove was first. The chipmunk approached from the rear and suddenly charged. The startled dove flew off a few feet and glared. The victorious chipmunk smugly began to feed.

Not so fast! The mourning dove circled behind the now-oblivious chipmunk and suddenly charged.

The chipmunk jumped like he'd been goosed but I'm pretty sure no contact was made.

The dove happily commenced eating.

But the chipmunk wasn't done....

Over the next few minutes, each chased the other about four times before a passing car's horn startled them both into taking cover. It was hilarious. :)
Ha! love it!
Isn't it cool how when they have it out like that, that there is no real fighting.

Kiran
20-11-2010, 04:43 AM
How do you get an animal totem or know which is yours?

I guess from my intuition that for me it should be the lion, as in one of my strongest visions I saw my spiritual mentor as a lion I needed to tame and make love to (a bit rough I like it sometimes :D ) and I also feel very close to Ayla in the writings of Jean M. Auel whose totem is a lion.

A cat if you want something more tamed. Following its own rules but appreciating friendship and able to give much love if treated right. We always had several cats at home where I grew up (I was raised on a cattle farm). To most cats I felt great friendship. When I was ingressed in a psychiatric long-term unit, a cat came to me. It was a beautiful half-angora female, three-coloured, whom her previous owner called "Trinity". She constantly ran away from there and came to the village the psychiatric unit was in. She felt strangely focused on our house. I fed her outside the house with what was left from my meals, gave her water and sometimes a little milk mixed with warm water. I liked her very much and she started coming by every day. It was getting winter and one of the therapists said I couldn't feed a cat on only leftovers, so she was allowed to come in and he (the therapist) bought dry cat food for her from his own money. She became our house cat. She never needed a cat toilet as she would be out and roaming around most of the day, coming back when we were sitting in the living room to cuddle and be stroked. She liked me best but also helped other patients in recovering. When I was leaving the unit I wanted to take her with me but everyone had grown so accostumed to her that with a bleeding heart I left her behind. I heard she has moved to a different house of the complex now. She never came behind me to seek me, but I would very much wish for a cat like her (not "like", actually. Her.) when I would be living alone. In our shared house we have two cats. The older one, who was there before, is very independent and intelligent (she'd climb in and out through the window and sleep in her "cave" in our huge living room bookshelf), but the younger one - we got her as a kitten - is a pain in the ***. She kept ****ting and peeing our carpet when she was younger and would by no means accept the cat toilet (she had it all to herself and we tried with several brands of litter). She is disrespectful of the older one, even hitting her with the paw. To us she is very shy and keeps running away when we approach her, only trusting a select few and even those not all the times. And even if I love cats I have to resist the urge to hurt her whenever I see her. Maybe that is why she is running off as soon as she spots me.

I also like polar bears. My BFF is called Ursula which means "female bear". I once saw a polar bear in a zoo in summer and felt a huge compassion for him. I think they should be left to their natural habitat. Animals who aren't pets need to live in freedom in the place they evolutioned.

As most females, I appreciate horses and shared a friendship, almost love with a foal when I was 13. She was an only one and had no-one to play with, so we stormed over the field together (she always won me, of course), but today I just think they are elegant animals without further attachment to them.

Cows aren't sacred to me but born into a cattle and dairy farm I know all those good things that come from them. They can have very different personalities and my father knows and appreciates every single one of them. I hated them as a teenager but learned to accept my humble roots with age.

LightFilledHeart
20-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Hey, Kiran :smile:

Totems choose you... not the other way round. They can present in dreams, in visions, or sometimes merely with a life-long fascination for that particular animal. My totem animal is the timberwolf, and I had the privilege of helping a friend raise one from the age of 7 weeks to adulthood. It was an amazing experience that changed me forevermore. If you want to know your totem and are not sure what it is, ask that reveal itself to you and then watch for signs :wink:

Bountiful Blessings! :hug3:

becomingshaman
22-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Mine are a little owl and a dragonfly. I met them on two different inward journeys, and they are always there to help me every time I go inward. It is a very tender relationship and I appreciate them so much.

Interestingly, not all animal-looking-spirits are helpful. I met a bear once on a journey, and assumed, because of the animal shape, that she was a new power animal for me...

Wrong.

The bear was not that, and was a spirit looking to feed off of me, in exchange for giving me some of her power when I needed it. She placed a cup of wine before me, and told me that she would show me a greater level of power than I had ever known before----and if I wanted a relationship with her, to drink the cup to signify my agreement.

Normally, the "rules" are to never eat or drink in the spirit world, but in this case, it was a beautiful mother bear (we had a lot in common and I was very drawn to her) and she was in a safe place, and she seemed to be offering me her help in ways that I could really use. Plus, hey, she was an ANIMAL, and I just assumed she was a new power animal being given to me. Animal spirits are all good, right? So I drank.

The power was exhilerating, no doubt about that, almost addicting....but....there was a price for the power. (I would find out that she was feeding off of the karmic return on the good deeds I was doing). I wasn't aware at ALL of what was going on, and was so thankful that I casually mentioned the whole thing to the shaman I train with. His ears pricked up right away, and he began asking a lot of questions, and in the end, he went in and had the bear leave, and gave me some real specific instructions to follow, as to whether or not one should assume an animal spirit is a power animal or not.

If it wasn't for him, I'm not sure I would have ever known! :( This isn't said to scare anybody, but just to share a warning. Just because it's an animal doesn't mean it's automatically going to be a good thing. If you have any questions, or if something is a little strange, ask someone wiser than you to check it out.

Erato
22-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Mine are a little owl and a dragonfly. I met them on two different inward journeys, and they are always there to help me every time I go inward. It is a very tender relationship and I appreciate them so much.

Interestingly, not all animal-looking-spirits are helpful. I met a bear once on a journey, and assumed, because of the animal shape, that she was a new power animal for me...

Wrong.

The bear was not that, and was a spirit looking to feed off of me, in exchange for giving me some of her power when I needed it. She placed a cup of wine before me, and told me that she would show me a greater level of power than I had ever known before----and if I wanted a relationship with her, to drink the cup to signify my agreement.

Normally, the "rules" are to never eat or drink in the spirit world, but in this case, it was a beautiful mother bear (we had a lot in common and I was very drawn to her) and she was in a safe place, and she seemed to be offering me her help in ways that I could really use. Plus, hey, she was an ANIMAL, and I just assumed she was a new power animal being given to me. Animal spirits are all good, right? So I drank.

The power was exhilerating, no doubt about that, almost addicting....but....there was a price for the power. (I would find out that she was feeding off of the karmic return on the good deeds I was doing). I wasn't aware at ALL of what was going on, and was so thankful that I casually mentioned the whole thing to the shaman I train with. His ears pricked up right away, and he began asking a lot of questions, and in the end, he went in and had the bear leave, and gave me some real specific instructions to follow, as to whether or not one should assume an animal spirit is a power animal or not.

If it wasn't for him, I'm not sure I would have ever known! :( This isn't said to scare anybody, but just to share a warning. Just because it's an animal doesn't mean it's automatically going to be a good thing. If you have any questions, or if something is a little strange, ask someone wiser than you to check it out.

This is fascinating stuff, becomingshaman.

What did you mean when you said "when on a journey"?
How do you go on those journeys?

becomingshaman
22-11-2010, 11:56 PM
A "journey" is a term for a meditative experience that is a lot like dreaming, only in this case, you aren't asleep. It's not a visualization, because the experience has a life of it's own, and you aren't able to "choose" what you see---like dreaming, the only thing you have control over is your own self.

There are probably a lot of explanations, articles and thoughts on what journeying is and how to do it, if you type it into a Google search box (try terms like, "shamanic journey" or similar search terms).

It is a very powerful tool to have, but it can also be dangerous, because you are literally journeying to other dimensions (and can get into some trouble there, if you aren't aware of the "rules" and/or if you bump into a spirit that is on the not-friendly side). That's not said to frighten you, but more as a cautionary word. It can be an amazing experience, but it's not always all fluff and roses.

Erato
23-11-2010, 02:30 AM
A "journey" is a term for a meditative experience that is a lot like dreaming, only in this case, you aren't asleep. It's not a visualization, because the experience has a life of it's own, and you aren't able to "choose" what you see---like dreaming, the only thing you have control over is your own self.

There are probably a lot of explanations, articles and thoughts on what journeying is and how to do it, if you type it into a Google search box (try terms like, "shamanic journey" or similar search terms).

It is a very powerful tool to have, but it can also be dangerous, because you are literally journeying to other dimensions (and can get into some trouble there, if you aren't aware of the "rules" and/or if you bump into a spirit that is on the not-friendly side). That's not said to frighten you, but more as a cautionary word. It can be an amazing experience, but it's not always all fluff and roses.

Hi becomingshaman,
My question was about how you go on these journeys. Do you meditate? Do you use drum circles and go into a trance? Or do you use plants like San Pedro or aya? You said you were studying with a shaman. What do they think the best way is?

eraser
23-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Hi becomingshaman,
My question was about how you go on these journeys. Do you meditate? Do you use drum circles and go into a trance? Or do you use plants like San Pedro or aya? You said you were studying with a shaman. What do they think the best way is?

I would be interested in more details as well.

becomingshaman
23-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Hm. I'll have to ask him.

Personally, I just do it. Most of the time it works. It wasn't always that way...it used to take me a long time, and I had to get really still, down to this quiet place inside of myself...and then the journeys would start from there, but only sometimes. Now, it's very easy and except for very rare occasions, I just do it, like how I eat or jog or paint. No special noises or music, no special atmosphere (though that would be nice, lol), no plants or drugs or anything.

From what I know about journeying, it's not for special people but for everyone. It's something we all have the ability to do---it's just that we have never been taught and/or led to believe it is perfectly natural and normal.

I learned on accident, in a setting where I was bored out of my mind and had to be very quiet for a few hours, each time. I accidentally stumbled into this thing where I could "dream," only I was wide awake, and things would happen during those 'waking dreams' that would teach me things, or, if I asked for wisdom or help for a particular person or issue, I would get feedback and wisdom or direction for them (which I would then use to pray for them---only rarely would I actually TELL them what I saw).... I didn't exactly know what it was (or that anything like journeying existed at all, actually!)...but it was always very positive and beneficial....so I assumed it was a kind of prayer.

If I were to suggest a way to start learning to journey to someone, I would recommend sitting quietly, eyes shut, and daydreaming. Let the daydreams or pictures just kind of flood over you...or the dark color of the back of your eyelids (honestly, just quietly watch whatever it is you are seeing with your eyes shut---no worries if it is just darkness)...and daydream away, visualize, watch the darkness---- whatever it is you want to do...until the pictures or images or colors start taking on a life of their own.

When they do, follow them. See where they go, what happens, what goes on. When the pictures take on a life of their own, it may be something dramatic, like suddenly a panoramic scene opens up, or it may be something little, like circle shapes start spinning. That doesn't matter. As soon as the images start acting like they would in a dream, where they are doing what they want to do and it's not you making it happen, then, follow it. (Personally, my opinion is that I would not recommend seeking to interact with any spirit beings, should you meet any, if you are on your own and do not have anyone more experienced to guide you, except with caution. There are a lot of wonderful beings out there...but there are some that are not so wonderful, and it's always good to be careful, especially as a beginner. No eating or drinking either in the spirit worlds, of course).

It may start out slow and bumpy, and take more than a few tries to get anything at all...but with time...you may be surprised. :)

...We should start a new thread for this, actually, because I'm sure others may have thoughts or tips to pitch in.

Erato
23-11-2010, 04:20 PM
We should start a new thread for this, actually, because I'm sure others may have thoughts or tips to pitch in.

Please do!

JanG
25-11-2010, 06:58 PM
I am trying to learn about native american spirituality. So don't know really anything about animal totems.

All I can say is I have this great need to find out about wolves, and I have put it off for far too long.

If anyone has any direction in which to point me It would be greatly appreciated.

eraser
25-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Simply Googling "animal totems" will bring up a lot of sites. Some have worthwhile information. Some just parrot what others written. You'll have to sift through them and see what makes sense to you.

The book Animal Speaks by Ted Andrews provides a good overview and starting point for anyone interested in the topic and I also found the Medicine Cards of Jamie Sams and David Carson interesting.

Ciqala
05-12-2010, 12:51 AM
I tend to have more winged creature medicine
I am Raven, Crow, Eagle, Owl, Vulture, there are other birds i cannot put a name to...
I actually see Raven in his shapeshifting form lots. He's quite the trickster and i have a good relationship with him, but some of the things he does puzzles me, he as a sense of humour thats for sure. The first time i ever met him, he scared the **** out of me, flew down and transformed into a huge really tall dark native man, right in front of my face, and tried to seduce me. His eyes were dark and way too knowledgable to take in. We talked through eye contact, and he managed to erase my fear for hours it seemed. I can't remember what he said unfortunately, only bits and pieces of significant things. Weird thing is he made me fall in love with him. He works in weird ways. I ended up running away from him when his power was released from me. Then he did start talking out load, frantically, in a language i could not decipher, but he wanted me to follow him into a scary looking part of the forest, and my fear got the best of me, and i remembered not to follow creepy strangers into the bushes. Well i was scared of him for a few years actually, but now i know i totally misread the whole thing wrong.
I also have a beautiful white wolf who is my playful little spirit buddy
And crows follow me around everywhere, yelling at me, but i can't understand them when they aren't in spirit form. Ravens and eagles used to when i lived in the wilderness, but now it's just town life.
I've seen bear, not much though
Deer
Blue Deer from Huichol tribe, Aztecian nation
Killer whale
Crow brought me a Moth
I also have a giant tiger for some reason, in my visions and dreams i get to ride him
And ladybug, although me and ladybug don't get along well, because they scare me to death from the first time they decided to come to me. I was little, and ladybugs would fill my entire room, walls, ceiling just pulsing with red shells, and they wouldn't go anywhere else in the entire house. Nested in only my room for years. They still like to show up randomly and land on me, but i only freak out and run away screaming. Hopefully some day i will get over my phobia, because i am sure they have good medicine too.
I think i have a lot more i forgot, and that always sucks, because when i pray and do ceremony, i tend to forget to mention some.
I think all people have a lot more totem animals than they think. Especially if they grew up around a forest.

ShamanWoman
14-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Jaguar first came to me in a dream. It was more of a nightmare, she pounced on me with claws bared! Definitely got my attention, lol! She guided me for about a year and has since faded into the background a bit. Owl began appearing for me late last summer. I just had a past life regression done during which my guide showed himself to me in both human and owl form.

sensitivesoul
16-01-2012, 05:09 AM
I'de really love to be able to communicate with my totems. One is wolf and he's mostly all white except for a small batch of grey on his forehead. When he came to me in my dream he was teaching me something. His voice was very strong and I could feel he was full of wisdom.

I've also been contacted by a grey horse. I'm not sure which kind of horse though, all I remember is a gorgeous big grey head sticking out of the barn door and beautiful grey eyes looking back at me.

I want to contact these totems and talk to them but it's frustrating because my mind has trouble calming down and keeping free of random thoughts :redface: . Any tips or recommendations?

WhiteWarrior
25-01-2012, 07:22 PM
I had a chat with the spirits through a medium last night. Among the things I asked, was what totem animal I had - if any. The reply came promptly: 'owl'. And I did a facepalm, because now I see why the Cherokee elders decided to give me the name White Owl.

I don't know much about totem animals, and I am skeptical to what I find online because it is so easy to just make an article up based on what everyone knows about an animal. Does anyone have anything they can tell me about the owl as totem, that isn't just a copy/paste from a random website?

Oh, and the spirits also mentioned a bear but there was the addition that it meant love?

nightowl
25-01-2012, 07:50 PM
I had a chat with the spirits through a medium last night. Among the things I asked, was what totem animal I had - if any. The reply came promptly: 'owl'. And I did a facepalm, because now I see why the Cherokee elders decided to give me the name White Owl.

I don't know much about totem animals, and I am skeptical to what I find online because it is so easy to just make an article up based on what everyone knows about an animal. Does anyone have anything they can tell me about the owl as totem, that isn't just a copy/paste from a random website?

Oh, and the spirits also mentioned a bear but there was the addition that it meant love?

WW,

I understand you hesitation about wanting to read something one line. Personally for me owl is my power animal and if you want to ask me question about owl you are welcome to and I will try to help. A great book to get on animal guides that cover characteristics, to habituate, behavior and spiritual significance is Animal Speaks by Ted Andrew.

I would recommend this site as it has a in-depth explanation, if you wish to visit it;

http://www.shamanicjourney.com/article/6179/owl_power_animal_symbol_of_wisdom_stealth_secrecy_ part_I