PDA

View Full Version : The fate of the bees -do Monsanto really care?

Tobi
12-09-2013, 11:45 PM
I just stumbled upon this.

Monsanto has developed a self-pollinating soybean plant using part bee DNA.

This sounds almost like a joke to me -but have a sneaking feeling it isn't.

I won't describe how it works....the web page describes it.
http://www.nwedible.com/2011/10/monsanto-announces-new-soybeen-self.html

Now for the next stage....these seeds are obviously far more expensive than traditional soybean seeds.
What would happen, let's say, if the bees WERE all wiped out?
You got it. Monsanto would 'save the world'.

Enough said. I have a suspicious mind.
Bearing in mind that I am sure it was Monsanto who developed the Nicotinoid pesticides which have a devastating effect on bees.

Belle
13-09-2013, 07:38 AM
no time to read and not got the emotional energy. My heart sinks every time I hear about something like this. Too much in the way of genetic modification.

I would indeed like to think it its a joke.

Swami Chihuahuananda
31-10-2013, 10:11 AM
In believe it's a a safe assumption that Monsanto cares first and foremost about Monsanto . People, animals, the environment , bees, were all put on Earth to make Monsanto money, and they shall have dominion over the Earth.
I think God has a weird sense of humor !.

LPC
31-10-2013, 07:09 PM
I believe that it was Bayer which actually developed the nicotinoids - but no matter. Many of these multinationals in related fields, but not in direct competition, often work arm-in-arm. In this case, it means helping Monsanto escape suspicion by putting it one step away from direct involvement, even though they stand to benefit massively.

These American companies have kept on saying, "Where is the evidence of a direct effect on bees?". Well, even they must be seriously worried at this latest piece of research, showing a direct correlation:
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/10/an-insecticide-infection-connection-in-bee-colony-collapses

Enough said. I have a suspicious mind.

No, I wouldn't say that, Tobi. You just put two and two together - and made four! There is nothing wrong with your arithmetic! :smile:

Belle
01-11-2013, 07:20 AM
I keep coming back to the bee, and here in the northern hemisphere we are approaching the winter and the land will sleep. I have a prayer that the bees will find rest to face their cycle again in what will most likely be a new way - as increments of interference seep through.

May they stay strong.

alamode
01-11-2013, 02:07 PM
I don't know of any large corporation who cares more about the environment rather than maximizing profits. The money system by design is destructive to humans, nature and the environment. Its time to get rid of the money system and distribute resources and technology for free to everyone in the world.

linen53
09-12-2013, 04:27 PM
I have hydroponic tomato plants. Know how to imitate the bee's pollinating? Take a vibrating toothbrush (it imitates the vibration of the bee) and touch the flower and the pollen spews out. Collect that and using a soft paintbrush cross pollinate the flowers. But tomato plants don't need bees to pollinate them. The wind will do the same thing.

That being said, bees do not exist because of man. Bees exist because of God's flowers. I think the bees will do just fine.

We had a bee hive in an old hollowed out tree a few years ago. But they didn't survive the winter. I thought they were gone till some tree trimmers working on our property last month, told my husband they found a hive in the ground very close to that hollowed out tree. I said, "Yeah!! You go bees!!

Belle
09-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Bees do exist because of God's flowers but I worry about man's ability to destroy. Maybe Bees are stronger than man - wouldn't that be the best.

Lilyth Von Gore
10-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Of course Monsanto don't care.
You know that when a company wears big yellow hazmat suits to check their crops, there's something not quite right with what they're spraying on that crop.

Ummon
12-01-2014, 11:37 PM
This makes me sad, another short sighted corporation wiping out millions of years of evolution and banking on the supposition that they can make something better, faster, smarter, stronger when they really don't know the effect it would have on the larger system. But of course, bees are just there for pollination right? They don't have any other purpose right? Nevermind that it may disrupt the food chain or that bees might be useful in terraforming a planet in the future, etc

norseman
13-01-2014, 08:56 AM
If I am wrong and there is a Final Judgement, then Monsanto will have to answer to their many crimes against the Earth !
One word - BHOPAL !