PDA

View Full Version : The Voynich Manuscript - The Book That Cannot Be Read

D01
18-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Okay, so we know that historians and scientists have been having an extremely difficult time translating the Voynich Manuscript; however, what about certain gifted individuals? I'm surprised that nobody would have come out with some level of translation where the Manuscript is concerned by now, whether such translation would have arrived from channeling or other supernatural means... I mean, unless it has been translated by supernatural means and nobody wants to divulge what secret knowledge they have acquired for whatever reason such as for the maintenance of secrecy or something...?

What do you guys think? Any thoughts? Anybody think that they can beat science at their own game and crack the code?

livingkarma
18-08-2013, 05:35 PM
The Voynich manuscript, described as “the world’s most mysterious manuscript”, is a work which dates to the early 15th century, possibly from northern Italy. It is named after the book dealer Wilfrid Voynich, who purchased it in 1912.

Some pages are missing, but the current version comprises about 240 vellum pages, most with illustrations. Much of the manuscript resembles herbal manuscripts of the time period, seeming to present illustrations and information about plants and their possible uses for medical purposes. However, most of the plants do not match known species, and the manuscript’s script and language remain unknown and unreadable. Possibly some form of encrypted ciphertext, the Voynich manuscript has been studied by many professional and amateur cryptographers, including American and British codebreakers from both World War I and World War II. As yet, it has defied all decipherment attempts, becoming a cause célèbre of historical cryptology. The mystery surrounding it has excited the popular imagination, making the manuscript a subject of both fanciful theories and novels. None of the many speculative solutions proposed over the last hundred years has yet been independently verified.

The Voynich manuscript was donated to Yale University’s Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library in 1969, where it is catalogued under call number MS 408 and called a “Cipher Manuscript”.

Provided by http://voynichdecoded.com/?page_id=2

The plants are of unknown species so there doesn't seem to be much benefit in disciphering it, however, it sounds like it could be good entertainment for someone who wants to spend their time working on this puzzle ...

Animus27
18-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Okay, so we know that historians and scientists have been having an extremely difficult time translating the Voynich Manuscript; however, what about certain gifted individuals? I'm surprised that nobody would have come out with some level of translation where the Manuscript is concerned by now, whether such translation would have arrived from channeling or other supernatural means... I mean, unless it has been translated by supernatural means and nobody wants to divulge what secret knowledge they have acquired for whatever reason such as for the maintenance of secrecy or something...?

What do you guys think? Any thoughts? Anybody think that they can beat science at their own game and crack the code?
I doubt anyone would take such "translations" seriously, since one could make them up, and without a way of philologically figuring out what it says - the channeled translations can't be verified.

D01
18-08-2013, 06:33 PM
I doubt anyone would take such "translations" seriously, since one could make them up, and without a way of philologically figuring out what it says - the channeled translations can't be verified.

Yes, well that's certainly a given. But I can't help but wonder if anybody has come up with anything reasonable, perceivable, or remotely cohesive.

Time
19-08-2013, 12:50 PM
IT is not a recent forgery at least. THe book in itself is concidered genuine. There are many pictures of the plants that resemble closely real plants, and some that reseble closer up sections, almost microscopic, of plant parts.

It has now been generally accepted, that without reading it, it was a culmination of medical texts, or a forgery from bak then, so someoe can make money.

D01
19-08-2013, 09:32 PM
For sure. I know it's considered genuine... and even despite the fact that we we don't know the language, we can confirm its veracity because the pattern of text does not suggest gibberish... it's actually extremely difficult to create gibberish out of all those pages without repeating the combinations of text/what you're saying... So, undoubtedly, it's real... the real mystery is deciphering what it all means specifically!

tilly13
16-03-2014, 06:26 AM
Hi i have been fascinated with this book since i heard about it, am no professional cleaver intellectual but i think it could be a grimoire

Gryneos
16-03-2014, 09:10 AM
So, have y'all seen this?

600 year old mystery manuscript decoded by University of Bedfordshire professor (http://www.beds.ac.uk/news/2014/february/600-year-old-mystery-manuscript-decoded-by-university-of-bedfordshire-professor)
Fri 14th February, 2014

AN award-winning professor from the University has followed in the footsteps of Indiana Jones by cracking the code of a 600 year old manuscript, deemed as ‘the most mysterious’ document in the world.

Stephen Bax, Professor of Applied Linguistics, has just become the first professional linguist to crack the code of the Voynich manuscript using an analytical approach.

The world-renowned manuscript is full of illustrations of exotic plants, stars, and mysterious human figures, as well as many pages written in an unknown text.

Up until now the 15th century cryptic work has baffled scholars, cryptographers and codebreakers who have failed to read a single letter of the script or any word of the text.

Over time it has attained an infamous reputation, even featuring in the latest hit computer game Assassin’s Creed, as well as in the Indiana Jones novels, when Indiana decoded the Voynich and used it to find the ‘Philosopher's Stone’.

Much more at the link, including the part that helped begin the decoding, and rather interesting to me (in relation to a self-identifying fact.) :D

neospiritualist
16-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Draco Constellation. The image of the lizard like creature is a wingless dragon. Star leads into its mouth as an indicator that it is referring to Eltanin and London.

I already worked that particular constellation take on it in conjunction to the other images contained within in similar fashion. The two fish are Pisces and the other is Aries if I remember correctly.

Its a prophecy on the destruction of London that was hidden. The other much more complex images and pages are astronomical and astrological markers explaining how blood lines wpuld determine...wait why the heck should I explain my theory. Im a nobody lol

Good luck deciphering the rest.

Arcturus
17-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Although Professor Bax’s decoding is still only partial, it has generated a lot of excitement in the world of codebreaking and linguistics because it could prove a crucial breakthrough for an eventual full decipherment.

ughhh those titles that clam everything to pull you in...partial means very limited...about 14 characters in all. one coiuld guess some words from the plants, not much of a discovery really

Lilyth Von Gore
18-03-2014, 06:03 PM
I'm seeing a lot of repetitve words in that manuscript. Interesting.

Gryneos
19-03-2014, 09:03 AM
ughhh those titles that clam everything to pull you in...partial means very limited...about 14 characters in all. one could guess some words from the plants, not much of a discovery really
I don't understand what you mean by "those titles that claim everything to pull you in." I don't see a claim here that they have deciphered all of it. Yes, the title could have been better written (as is the case for 99% of the media ever since the invention of writing.) If you read beyond the title, I hope you learned just how important this discovery is.

This partial claim, even if "only" fourteen characters is far more than anyone else has managed. It's the first step, and I found it quite amazing they were able to identify full words. They can make huge inroads into the deciphering by that little bit alone. I don't know how many unique characters exist in this manuscript, but if it's at all close to the Greek alphabet, that represents over half of the total (24 letters in the Greek alphabet.)

Admittedly, I have not watched the video included in the link (just haven't taken the time for it.) However, I remain convinced that this is indeed a major discovery, and I'll be checking to see what other progress they make (and publish) :hello:

Arcturus
19-03-2014, 10:01 AM
if i was a bit quick to conclusion then please excuse. i did watch the vid but it did not hold my attention, not its fault. hopefully this'll lead to a full deciphering. the title was misleading

Rawnrr
19-03-2014, 10:27 AM
It is possible that it is a copy made of a copy made of a copy (etc etc) of some old Arabic (or something like that) manuscript as copied by medieval scribes who did not understand the language and just simply tried to imitate the letters.
Every generation of copies multiplying the errors of the previous ones until you have nothing recognizable anymore.

Gryneos
19-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Well, after reading this blog post (http://stephenbax.net/?p=275) (that is a point by point rebuttal of Nick Pelling's initial criticism) I don't get the impression that it's simply a multitude of copied texts over the years.

While I don't understand all of the linguistic terminology, what Prof. Bax has proposed so far seems the most plausible in deciphering a script in a real language. Any professor (i.e., Ph.D. scholar) in linguistics I would then expect to be educated enough to determine whether something is gibberish or not. He's made actual translations of a few of the words in the manuscript. You can't translate gibberish ;)

The Librarian
23-03-2014, 01:12 PM
The Voynich manuscript is pretty interesting. I'm jealous of people that dig this sort of thing up. I'm going to hand write and bind a book and bury it in big metal box for people in a hundred years to dig up and pull their hair out over. I'll be giggling in my grave.

Gryneos
24-03-2014, 09:50 AM
That's the spirit TL! :D

You might have a look at the Codex Seraphinianus. I'd link it here, but some of the drawings are explicit, even if it's meant to be a kind of alien-art biology book (it's a work of art, not a mysterious artifact.) :smile:

Radiant_Darkness
30-08-2014, 09:43 PM

Seemed to have worked out just fine for Joseph Smith...