PDA

View Full Version : Native American spirituality

keith95843
10-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Being only part native american and not part of any tribe nor did I grow up on a reservation I can only express my feelings this way.
I dont understand why our people (Native Americans) dont share there ways with the people who so strongly want learn it. Spiritual people are drawen to it like a moth to a lite

OnAPath
10-07-2013, 01:31 PM
From what I can tell, based on what I have learned from my Native American friend, it's kind of like when a foster child moves a bunch of times, and they take their clothing and maybe 1 or 2 favorite toys. They grow out of the clothes, that will come and go, but all they have left is that toy. They will hold on to it and cherish it, and by golly don't you dare try to "share" that toy, they do not want to share it, for fear that it will no longer be theirs.

Their tradition is their toy. It is special, so special to them. Having grown up (as a community/culture/race) with everything being taken from them, they are not the sort to shout their traditions from the rooftops, they hold it close and keep it safe.

Native spirit
13-07-2013, 10:00 PM
:smile: Why would a NDN want to share what they hold dear.when everything else was taken from them. i dont blame them one bit i have NDN blood in me and there are some things that my grandmother told me that i will only tell my own kids no one else.some will share their knowledge

Namaste

Neville
13-07-2013, 10:11 PM
I get that the forced relocation and removal of the tribal lands was awful. I get that worse things occurred during the colonization.

I also note that some wonderful native American Spirituality remains accessible in books like Hanta Yo (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/389881.Hanta_Yo) by Ruth Beebe Hill,

As does the Spirituality of Aboriginal,Maori, Massai.Latin American, Briton, and many other cultures that have been forcibly conquered, invaded.

The key to the survival of these wonderful heritage's is in my view the sharing of it, even if only written down for posterity. keeping it locked up and exclusive , I think will place it on the endangered list. The ways of the ancestors carry a great meaning for me personally. and I suspect that there is importance for all here, if only because knowing we have been gives us half an idea of where we have come from. Our basis/ foundation.

Whether these old ways are to be kept secret is a matter of debate. I remain very open to and interested in the diversity of beliefs and paths

running
14-07-2013, 02:38 AM
I respect other peoples decisions about information and such. But if it is something important to know. It can be locked up in every way. And still you can get it. I remember I couldn't find out what all the strange spiritual things I was going thru were. So I channeled what ever information I felt I needed. We called it the freedom of information act. Lol. I just bring this up because I always that it was kind of funny. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about this. I actually agree. Why not keep a few things.

I can't normally do that. But for some reason if I feel I have to or I'm really angry it has happend.

I get that the forced relocation and removal of the tribal lands was awful. I get that worse things occurred during the colonization.

I also note that some wonderful native American Spirituality remains accessible in books like Hanta Yo (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/389881.Hanta_Yo) by Ruth Beebe Hill,

As does the Spirituality of Aboriginal,Maori, Massai.Latin American, Briton, and many other cultures that have been forcibly conquered, invaded.

The key to the survival of these wonderful heritage's is in my view the sharing of it, even if only written down for posterity. keeping it locked up and exclusive , I think will place it on the endangered list. The ways of the ancestors carry a great meaning for me personally. and I suspect that there is importance for all here, if only because knowing we have been gives us half an idea of where we have come from. Our basis/ foundation.

Whether these old ways are to be kept secret is a matter of debate. I remain very open to and interested in the diversity of beliefs and paths

running
14-07-2013, 03:08 AM
For what ever reasons i don't get angry often. It kind of dawned on me perhaps my guides and such react by giving me information that may help. I don't know? Always wondered.

Or I think it just puts me in the zone. I think that's it. I grew up playing a lot of sports and using that energy to play well. Making me very focused in it. Could be that. Even as an adult I would exercise to a point of exhaustion often. Never thought of it as anger but I feel its the same energy. If it is. I would have to say I have been angry a lot. Lol

Thunder Bow
15-07-2013, 07:39 PM
You are not angry. Spiritual Connection with Nature (All There is) comes with living in it. Native Spirituality in modern times is Much Different than it was 800yrs.ago! Blood quota not a factor. Spiritual quota is what matters!

running
16-07-2013, 12:13 AM
You are not angry. Spiritual Connection with Nature (All There is) comes with living in it. Native Spirituality in modern times is Much Different than it was 800yrs.ago! Blood quota not a factor. Spiritual quota is what matters!

Thank you Thunder Bow, I appreciate your insights!

Time
16-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Its the simple fact that in NA over 90% of all native traditions and way of life is gone forever. They didnt write it down. They just dont know it to share.

Even at that point, they would remember what europeans did, especially in places like canada, where rez schools are still in some places up north.

Tabby94
17-07-2013, 08:10 PM
I have heard that Native Americans at funerals, ''celebrate'' the passing of the respective person to the land of spirit , it is more joyous than the grief filled funerals of non-Native American peoples, is this correct ?

Native spirit
17-07-2013, 10:18 PM
:confused: I have never cried at a funeral because we cannot die we just go on to the after life,or spirit world in my family we always celebrate a life never cry over it,i live in the uk but have NDN heritage i know a lot of people at funerals who mourn always wear black etc.its not for me.

Namaste

running
17-07-2013, 11:58 PM
:confused: I have never cried at a funeral because we cannot die we just go on to the after life,or spirit world in my family we always celebrate a life never cry over it,i live in the uk but have NDN heritage i know a lot of people at funerals who mourn always wear black etc.its not for me.

Namaste

I think that's a great perspective! I have never understood why people are so sad about them moving on. I'm sure its sad because we miss them. I understand where your coming from. Thanks for mentioning this!

Tabby94
18-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Namaste

That is a Great way to be. When my Gran passed in Feb of this year, I felt joy for her too, That she is no longer feeble. Thanks.

deepsea
21-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Being only part native american and not part of any tribe nor did I grow up on a reservation I can only express my feelings this way.
I dont understand why our people (Native Americans) dont share there ways with the people who so strongly want learn it. Spiritual people are drawen to it like a moth to a lite

Hi Keith...
Just realised who you were....Recognise the name Bluespirit?

Good to see you!

Deepsea....:smile:

the_crow
23-07-2013, 04:42 AM
There is nothing hidden about indian culture. It is there for anyone willing to search it out and/or live it. What remains of it, anyway.
Mostly it is about things so simple that white men are unable to see them.
Obvious things, that become invisible once reverence for nature is lost.

Animal totems are a big pursuit of mine, for example. But what possible use would that be if I lived in Detroit, or London? I'd be better off collecting stamps.

Ha. I've spent more time living like a pre-columbian indian than most modern indians :) Made me terribly skinny and ragged, too.

jaracz
25-09-2013, 05:27 AM

I wrote Joseph M. Marshall III, great writer, and in emails back and forth I mentioned that I practice Native American traditions. He thought this was wrong and crazy that someone taught me and refused to interact with me any longer. I see where he is coming from, because I have seen people who have done a lot of corrupt things with traditions they have hand exposure to or have read about.

That being said, an Apache man passed down traditions to a lot of non-Native Americans. A few communities have come out of this. I am in one of them. We welcome folks. It starts with training and a right of passage though. Just like in the indigenous culture, we see men and women as being trained and support each other as trained adults.

Susan

keith95843
27-09-2013, 11:28 AM
hello dear :hug3:

Hi Keith...
Just realised who you were....Recognise the name Bluespirit?

Good to see you!

Deepsea....:smile:

Riboflavin
27-09-2013, 11:34 AM
If they don't want to share their knowledge, forget them. They aren't the only ones who don't like to share. Most people into the occult are the same way.

Just follow your own path.

keith95843
27-09-2013, 11:36 AM
thanks for all your comments

deepsea
27-09-2013, 03:44 PM
hello dear :hug3:

:hug3:

Deepsea.

Raven Poet
08-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Hi, Keith. I hear you, bro - I am Anishinaabe who has European in my blood too, but I identify as Indigenous and am a member of the Red Nation - a daughter of the Prairie!

I know some Elders and knowledge keepers are happy to share, if the request is respectful and comes from the heart and there is an understanding that the information will be used in a good way. And I have talked with other Elders who tell me that seekers of sacred info need to "earn their stripes" - how I interpret this is its not coming from a place of egotistical power and control, but a genuine concern for protection for cultural knowledge. I don't know about you, but I hear of stories where people from various cultural backgrounds - Indigenous included - have exploited cultural knowledge for individual gain and profit, with no benefit going to the ones who shared it - the ones who faced jail and racial violence and exclusion and yet fought to keep this information intact and genuine.

If it is you who are seeking, Keith, please keep going on your search. With a good heart and humble intentions, you will find teachers and Elders who see your light and will be honoured to share with you!

keith95843
08-10-2013, 02:22 AM
Thank you for your words and the warm feeling that came with them

Raven Poet
08-10-2013, 01:48 PM
It is my pleasure. I admire your posts and your honesty in them. It is good to have a safe place to talk about these kinds of topics, with warm feelings part of the exchange. Have a great day, Keith, wherever you are today in this beautiful world!:D

elisi
01-06-2014, 03:13 PM
to indianajohal,

i can only speak of the cherokee....i find our passing over ceremonies more comforting than non native funerals. (though, always exceptions)

we do celebrate the life of the one passed and we know they are still here, only in a different energy form. i have seen many 'magical' things happen at these ceremonies.