PDA

View Full Version : Chakra toning for health

sunny shine
28-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Toning is vocalizing the sound of a vowel without melody or rhythm. The vowel sounds associated with the chakras are based on Sanskrit and are found in most languages around the world. As you extend the vowel sound with your voice, the vibration of your breath massages your body from inside out, relieving stress and tension, balancing the energy of your chakras, and promoting health and well-being

You can use a piano to find the right note, or if you have musical knowledge vocalizing each sound on the appropriate note makes toning even more powerful and effective.

Here are the traditional correspondences between the chakras and vowel sounds.

Chakra
Vowel sound
Musical note
Root
“uh” as in “cup”
C
Sacral
“oo” as in “you”
D
Solar Plexus
“oh” as in “go”
E
Heart
“ah” as in “ma”
F
Throat
“iy” as in “eye’
G
Brow
“ay” as in “pray’
A
Crown
“ee” as in “we”
B

LightFilledHeart
28-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Here are the traditional correspondences between the chakras and vowel sounds.

Chakra
Vowel sound
Musical note
Root
“uh” as in “cup”
C
Sacral
“oo” as in “you”
D
Solar Plexus
“oh” as in “go”
E
Heart
“ah” as in “ma”
F
Throat
“iy” as in “eye’
G
Brow
“ay” as in “pray’
A
Crown
“ee” as in “we”
B

Hi Sunny! :smile:

Very interesting! I learned to chakra tone in the system of Swara Yoga, but the vowel sounds assigned to each chakra were different. We we taught to go from the base chakra to the crown chakra with the following sounds, in this order:

Oo, oh, uh, ah, ay, ee, oo

The root chakra and the crown chakra were the same vowel sound (oo), but with a focus on going "up" on the latter one. No real change in sound between the two, but more an energetic thing :smile: Also, in Swara Yoag you are not taught to sound the tone for each chakra on a specific note. We were told to pick the key or note that feels right to us and tone that same note or key for all seven chakras, each with the specific vowel sound assisgned to it.

What system do you use? I didn't know there was another besides the Swara Yoga! It's interesting to learn about new things :smile: I've got the sounds ingrained in me now though. I do them in order with one long breath, and sometimes I go back to tone each individual one several times on its own, always finishing up with a run through all 7 on one breath. You hold each one for a few seconds, so it has to be a DEEP breath! :wink:

DulcePoetica
28-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Thank you for posting this. You referred to the "traditional correspondences between the chakras and vowel sounds", and I have currently a great deal of curiosity on this very subject. I would like to know the traditional source so I can do some more reading. In particular, I'm intrigued by the musical note association, though the vowel sound interests me as well.

However, there seems to be more than just the pointed-out discrepancy here with regards to the selection of vowel sounds. In particular, the "iy" as in "eye" is a tough one because that sound is created by pairing two separate vowel sounds ah and ee. So maintaining a consistent tone with that would be quite a trick. Not to mention that it seems the transition between vowel sounds in both cases above are incongruous with the rest of the exercise.

Go with me here: The colors, musical tones and even the sequence of awareness associated with the chakras are each progressive in nature. c-d-e-f-g-a-b all follow sequentially, as does red to orange to yellow, etc. I've done some work specifically dealing with enunciation and articulation, so I can see the gaps in the sequence of those vowels. The second string seems closer to a smooth transition between vowel sounds, though I still would argue there is a substantial gap between 6/ee and 7/oo. (ee eh uh oh oo would make more sense for a seamless transition of sounds). It just seems like too big a glitch overlook. Am I missing something here?

Spiritlite
28-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Hey this is great, I'm going to give it a try one of these days. I had a heart chakra bowl but it broke :( I have no clue how I think my kitten at the time knocked it over. But I do have a root bowel that's now safely tucked away I want to save up and buy another heart chakra bowl.
Also chakra healing cd's are great to listen too as well
Spiritlite.

Moon Willow
28-10-2010, 08:54 PM
If you are like me and wouldn't know if the right tone or note hit ya in the face, does a CD of the sounds work as well?

Spiritlite
28-10-2010, 08:59 PM
yeah that's a good question how do you know the tone is correct?
Spiritlite.

sunny shine
29-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi Sunny! :smile:

Very interesting! I learned to chakra tone in the system of Swara Yoga, but the vowel sounds assigned to each chakra were different. We we taught to go from the base chakra to the crown chakra with the following sounds, in this order:

Oo, oh, uh, ah, ay, ee, oo

The root chakra and the crown chakra were the same vowel sound (oo), but with a focus on going "up" on the latter one. No real change in sound between the two, but more an energetic thing :smile: Also, in Swara Yoag you are not taught to sound the tone for each chakra on a specific note. We were told to pick the key or note that feels right to us and tone that same note or key for all seven chakras, each with the specific vowel sound assisgned to it.

What system do you use? I didn't know there was another besides the Swara Yoga! It's interesting to learn about new things :smile: I've got the sounds ingrained in me now though. I do them in order with one long breath, and sometimes I go back to tone each individual one several times on its own, always finishing up with a run through all 7 on one breath. You hold each one for a few seconds, so it has to be a DEEP breath! :wink:

you perhaps seems to know more about this subject. Mine is just a bookish knowledge though! :smile:

sunny shine
29-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Thank you for posting this. You referred to the "traditional correspondences between the chakras and vowel sounds", and I have currently a great deal of curiosity on this very subject. I would like to know the traditional source so I can do some more reading. In particular, I'm intrigued by the musical note association, though the vowel sound interests me as well.

However, there seems to be more than just the pointed-out discrepancy here with regards to the selection of vowel sounds. In particular, the "iy" as in "eye" is a tough one because that sound is created by pairing two separate vowel sounds ah and ee. So maintaining a consistent tone with that would be quite a trick. Not to mention that it seems the transition between vowel sounds in both cases above are incongruous with the rest of the exercise.

Go with me here: The colors, musical tones and even the sequence of awareness associated with the chakras are each progressive in nature. c-d-e-f-g-a-b all follow sequentially, as does red to orange to yellow, etc. I've done some work specifically dealing with enunciation and articulation, so I can see the gaps in the sequence of those vowels. The second string seems closer to a smooth transition between vowel sounds, though I still would argue there is a substantial gap between 6/ee and 7/oo. (ee eh uh oh oo would make more sense for a seamless transition of sounds). It just seems like too big a glitch overlook. Am I missing something here?

thank you DulcePoetica. There are lot many information about these stuff on you tube about healing sounds, sound therapy etc. If i come to know more i will post it here.

AbrahamTV
29-10-2010, 05:46 PM
This is exactly what I needed. I am a yoga teacher, and am starting a new class geared towards working on specific chakras each class. I will certainly include this in my class.
THANK YOU

Spiritlite
29-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Hey Abraham you sound like a good yoga instructor.
Spiritlite.

LightFilledHeart
29-10-2010, 07:19 PM

I really don't know anything more than I was told and shown by the gentleman devotee of Swara Yoga who taught me the technique, but I can tell you that staying on the same note and toning the vowel sounds in the order given does produce some pretty profound alterations in consciousness and health benefits as well :smile:

LightFilledHeart
29-10-2010, 07:21 PM
If you are like me and wouldn't know if the right tone or note hit ya in the face, does a CD of the sounds work as well?

Hi Moon :smile:

Swara Yoga teaches that each person use whatever note/key feels right to him or her and use it for each of the vowel sounds in the order given, working one's way up from the root to the crown in one long tone. I don't think it matters what note you
use, as there are no "wrong" ones.

LightFilledHeart
29-10-2010, 07:23 PM
you perhaps seems to know more about this subject. Mine is just a bookish knowledge though! :smile:

I wouldn't say I "know more"... I just know what I was shown and instructed to do. It seems to work. Give it a try for awhile... see if you notice anything :smile:

MYFIGO
30-10-2010, 03:30 PM
What a neat post... I'll be trying this out myself. I'm anxious to see what I experience.

I notice in the psychic healing that I do that other peoples chakras are different than mine and that I can improve and balance theirs by devoting attention to it. I'm curious to see if the tones are different as well when they are unbalanced. I'm betting that they are.

Thanks for posting the topic!

sunny shine
31-10-2010, 03:56 PM
wow i am glad that what i posted resonated with so many, while all i did is just post a message there are many out their with greater purpose. All the best in your endeavours

Moon Willow
31-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi Moon :smile:

Swara Yoga teaches that each person use whatever note/key feels right to him or her and use it for each of the vowel sounds in the order given, working one's way up from the root to the crown in one long tone. I don't think it matters what note you
use, as there are no "wrong" ones.

Thanks very much for your feedback! I know that on the few occasions I have worked with the OM mantra that it's a very powerful tool, so sure that the individual chakra ones will also be very beneficial. I look forward to trying it. :hug:

sunny shine
01-11-2010, 04:36 AM
I have a CD "Music for Chakra Meditation" (Music by Sudhakar & Ganesh Muthu) with different ragas for each chakra ". This based on Indian Carnatic music.

Bilawal - Mooladhara chakra (Root)
Yaman - Swadhishthana chakra (Sacral)
Malkauns - Manipooraka chakra (solar plexus)
Bhairav - Anahatha chakra (heart)
Jai Jai Vanthi - Vishuddhi chakra (Throat)
Bageswari - Ajna chakra (third eye)
Darbari Kanda - Sahasraara chakra (Crown)

Free link for this music download http://www.raaga.com/channels/nirvana/moviedetail.asp?mid=NI00004