PDA

View Full Version : Buddhism 101

Mystik
09-07-2013, 08:58 PM
I have recently become interested in Buddhism. I have been spiritual for a very long time but never specifically studied Buddhism. However, I have recently attended a Buddhist meditation a few times and I like what the leader of the group(the Buddhist minister?)has talked about.

So here's what I would like to know. How does one become Buddhist and what are some of the basic principles and beliefs? I know a few things but would like to hear it spelled out by others on here. Thanks.

psychoslice
09-07-2013, 09:10 PM
To become a Buddhist you have to practice the idiologies of that belief system, but never forget that you are already the Buddha, as Jesus became the Christ through his realization, so did Guttama become the Buddha through his realization. You only need to truly realize that you are more than your mind body organism, that you are all there is, within that consciousness, you are the Buddha.

CSEe
14-07-2013, 03:10 PM
To me , nothing is outside Buddhism , you same as all living or non-living is Buddhist , never other ...............because in my current understanding , Buddhism is the NATURAL process of all living - human , animal , plant , micro-orgsm or non-living -rock , metal , pen , table , dirt , shoe etc releasing its pollutants energy towards emptiness back into nothingness ...all is in each own Buddhism process , no one is not , nothing could escape this process or out from this process .............In my current understanding ( I am ready to debate with anyone ) There is no practice , no beliefs , no chanting , no right or wrong , no true or false , no comparison in Buddhism ........just be awake to aware , aware to realize , realize to accept , accept to further aware until you free from yourself ......so Dalai Lama is same and equal to Osama Bin Laden , same as any animal , plant , virus , table , dirt under your shoe ...all is Buddhist in a natural process introduced to mankind as Buddhism
Thks
CSEe

Pamuya
01-11-2013, 02:20 AM
I have recently become interested in Buddhism. I have been spiritual for a very long time but never specifically studied Buddhism. However, I have recently attended a Buddhist meditation a few times and I like what the leader of the group(the Buddhist minister?)has talked about.

So here's what I would like to know. How does one become Buddhist and what are some of the basic principles and beliefs? I know a few things but would like to hear it spelled out by others on here. Thanks.

When I use the term Buddhism I am refering to the teachings of Buddha and his deciples and their traditions. There are many paths in Buddhism, and to enlightenment. Some will follow Buddha teachings, while other will take their own path. There are different schools of thought and different traditions within traditional Buddhism, example Zen buddhism, the different schools of Tibetan Buddhism, and there are so many many more. I have been studying for 5 years and have just decided on my path. I found a teacher and in the future I will be taking a refuge vow. For me finding a Sangha was the key, a buddhist community where we all have a common goal, and a place to hear teachings. Look to see if there is a buddhist center near you. There are also many wonderful books and many sites on the internet to learn from buddhist teachers. This might be of some help. http://www.buddha101.com/p_jewels.htm
May you be free of suffering and find inner peace.

jojo95
10-12-2013, 04:54 AM
I think I'm.going through a awake guess that is what you call it . Is this the right forum to be when trying to lean?

sahaja
10-12-2013, 10:20 AM
I think I'm.going through a awake guess that is what you call it . Is this the right forum to be when trying to lean?

As it's worded, i think so. But then again any of the Spiritual Forum sections might be? Want to describe a bit about what you mean or the experience. There is an experience many people have that's often called an Awakening. It's usually highly symbolic and individualized. No two are the same. It has an impact on the experiencer. I think it may be described as an awakening of consciousness.

I think it's a significant event but i can't explain why. It ties in with enlightenment but doesn't signify a 'degree' of it. That is, if one looks at it in terms of gradual degrees of increasing enlightenment or awareness as opposed to, i suppose, a sudden overall one time thing. A kind of - "Bang! You're Buddha." I guess that can happen at any time. But true Buddhas are rare indeed.

Anyone else heard or know anything? I'm just surmising from bits i've read here and there over the years.