PDA

View Full Version : Anything to help addictions?

purple2
27-10-2010, 06:02 AM
I've been looking for something that helps heal issues with addictions/eating disorder type problems. Something to eliminate addictive urges all together. People who have addictive personalities, will go from addiction to addiction (food,drugs,smoking,alcohol etc)...never breaking free.

I don't believe addiction issues are new to humans. I saw on a documentary that issues such as anorexia had even occurred in the 1800's. If addiction problems go back hundreds/thousands of years...I feel like their has to be a cure other than psychiatry or therapy.

I'm not asking to be turned to a religion or prayer or anything like that. I am more so asking if there are any healing techniques/rituals/healing stones....something to do that cures these problems?

psychoslice
27-10-2010, 06:15 AM
You got to get to the cause of the addiction, what are you covering with the food, what is being buried with the food or what ever, find the cause and deal with it in the best way you can. If we join a religion or anything else we will only continue to keep it buried with the very thing we believe is helping us.

Gerryh
27-10-2010, 07:35 AM
From my experience of working with addictive personalities,a common theme is being stuck without a rolemodel or plan of how to move forward.You can pm me and I will explain in depth of how to go about effecting a cure.
Best wishes Gerry

Emmalevine
27-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Like Psychoslice said, normally addictions are to cover up painful feelings such as sadness and hurt or emptiness. When people repress their emotions it can leave them feeling disconnected and unreal, so the addiction can represent a focus to help them feel alive.

Addictions can also be suppressed creativity - ie using energy in a destructive way (back on yourself) instead of expressing it, which links back to emotions. I have quite an addictive personality and in the past I've used food, drink or even people to attach myself to and obsess about, but what I was lacking was a true connection to myself, my feelings and my creativity. Once I started believing in myself, expressijng my true feelings through emotions, words and music, my need to fall into destructive addictions lessened a lot.

Just my thoughts :) Hope it works out for you.

Gerryh
27-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Acupuncture and getting to the root of the problem works well.

Cosmic Jo
27-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Amethyst is good for addictions.

I gave up alcohol and cigarettes nearly 2 years ago so I understand addiction. There were many things that helped me but I think the main one was desperately wanting to walk my spiritual path which I couldn't do when my brain was fogged up with chemicals and I couldn't hear the messages.

Xan
28-10-2010, 12:57 AM
There is a great method for getting free of addictions and addictive urges, and other kinds of patterns and problems too. This is EFT - Emotional Freedom Techniques. There's a little article about it at: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4478 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D4478)

blessings
Xan

Roselove
28-10-2010, 01:34 AM
healing the underlying cause. when the brain can't regualte emotions the person turns to addictions

metapsyhical cause - "Running away, not facing the fear or love of self."

as mentioned above eft, therapy, shamanic illumnations/healing, bach flower remedies can all assit in healing them

ChrissyStar
28-10-2010, 05:16 AM
If you feel you cannot actually stop being addicted to something, try being addicted to something that will benefit your life. For example, positivity releases endorphins which make you feel good. Get some some very positive self-growth books or something and allow yourself to get addicted to feeling positive and excited about who you are. Find out what makes you really passionate on a deep level and get addicted to that instead!

star-child
28-10-2010, 02:20 PM
I highly highly recommend hypnotherapy. It helped with my addiction to alcohol. Find a therapist that you feel very comfortable with because as others have said, it's not just the addiction you need to tackle but underlying emotional problems.

I was so desperate to stop drinking that I said to my therapist not to bother with the emotional stuff. I do regret saying that because I have had a few episodes where I have felt strong urges to drink.

Hynotherapy was the best thing I ever did, for me 6 sessions of hynotherapy were more constructive than 2 years of counselling. I actually won a free initial session at a Well-Being festival, I do believe that a higher force led me towards winning it because it was most definitely for my highest good.

Let us know how you are getting along and what actions you are going to take. I understand the pain of addictions and eating problems so I only want you to be free of them :smile:

Sophie xx

cheeky_monkey
28-10-2010, 02:29 PM
I have an addictive personality, my doctor told me to continue with my addiction for some reason. I can't afford fancy treatment and have tried counselling and psychologists who just sit there, grunt, write notes and after 10 minutes tell me my appointment is over. I don't live in the illusion anymore that the NHS cares as I know they don't.

Emmalevine
28-10-2010, 03:06 PM
I have an addictive personality, my doctor told me to continue with my addiction for some reason. I can't afford fancy treatment and have tried counselling and psychologists who just sit there, grunt, write notes and after 10 minutes tell me my appointment is over. I don't live in the illusion anymore that the NHS cares as I know they don't.

Sorry that this has been your experience but don't write the NHS or counsellors or even psychologists off. There are some pretty amazing caring people out there who genuinely want to help and are pro-active in doing it. Sounds like you just haven't met the right person for you. Some counsellors have a more psychodynamic approach where they wait for you to talk, and this isn't always helpful for someone with more pressing current concerns. Other counsellors use CBT or different behavioural techniques to actively help you change and this is what you would benefit from I feel. Maybe look at your local directory to see who is out there or try your GP again?

cheeky_monkey
28-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks Starbuck, but there is only so much one person can do to help themselves. I make trips out of my way to places not easy to reach to attend these stupid appointments. I think I am past the point of caring about it now, especially when my GP tells me maybe I shouldn't give up. I could tell you more stories about the NHS like the time they decided to tell a 17 year old me I may never be able to eat again (due to an accident) but they decided to tell me on the only appointment I attended alone. In other words they were too guttless to tell me with my parents there, or when I was admitted to hospital and had to wait 24 hours and being discharged before they found out my jaw was broken (my face was huge and they can't even diagnose a broken jaw), or the time I decided to overdose due to a number of reasons and my psychologist was called out who said 'eh just leave her'. Or the time I was sectioned and injected by a sadist nurse who told me i was a psychopath as she smiled and injected me which knocked me out for three days. All I needed was someone to talk to for half an hour and perhaps something to calm me down but this nurse loved her injects, oh yes the look of pleasure as she injected me was kodak.

Emmalevine
28-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Sounds like you've had some pretty horrible experiences :(

It is good if you feel you can help yourself without needing support, as long as you're aware support is out there if you do need it ((if you see what I mean!).

Spiritlite
28-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Personally for me it's just a matter of strong will. That's how I work and I know that doesn't work for everyone. Therapy or counseling too to help you understand why you have the addiction or an addictiver personality may help too.
Spiritlite.

cheeky_monkey
28-10-2010, 10:01 PM
:hug2: Thanks Starbuck and sorry everyone if it seemed I took over the thread. I wish I could help make some helpful suggestions. I agree therapy isn't for everyone. I've heard EFT is good as is NLP, but whether they can help with addictive personalities, I don't know.

Racer X
29-10-2010, 02:03 AM
I've been looking for something that helps heal issues with addictions/eating disorder type problems. Something to eliminate addictive urges all together. People who have addictive personalities, will go from addiction to addiction (food,drugs,smoking,alcohol etc)...never breaking free.

I don't believe addiction issues are new to humans. I saw on a documentary that issues such as anorexia had even occurred in the 1800's. If addiction problems go back hundreds/thousands of years...I feel like their has to be a cure other than psychiatry or therapy.

I'm not asking to be turned to a religion or prayer or anything like that. I am more so asking if there are any healing techniques/rituals/healing stones....something to do that cures these problems?

A study was done on TM meditation and found that those who learned it and stuck with it, just stopped addictive behavior without any other effort. Addictions just seemed to no longer be needed or wanted, the underlying reason was resolved!

The rates were lowest for cigarette smokers, some 76+% quit at the end of the three year study, 50+ % quit within the first 6 months or so. The drugs and alcohol groups were higher, somewhere in the 85-90% range.

It worked for me.....even though I did not learn TM meditation specifically, I seemed to just do it automatically.

Your desire to quit is your strongest ally right now. A wise person once said "When your desire to overcome is stronger then your desire to continue, you will quit!"