PDA

View Full Version : Help

32silver
20-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Where can I find information on Taoism?

Animus27
21-06-2013, 04:16 AM
What do you specifically want to know? I have a book I can recommend, but it's not for someone with no knowledge of Daoism.

the_crow
22-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Information is the last thing you need.
Taoism is the lack of information, and the lack of need.
Teachings are different: Lao Tzu has those, in a tiny book called tao te ching.
Be careful not to memorize it.

Animus27
22-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Information is the last thing you need.
Taoism is the lack of information, and the lack of need.
Teachings are different: Lao Tzu has those, in a tiny book called tao te ching.
Be careful not to memorize it.
Actual Daoists would disagree.

the_crow
22-07-2013, 07:45 PM
That is why I no longer refer to myself as a taoist.

cheeneka
22-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Hi,

if spirituality is an inner path why do we need to rely on outer knowledge. all religions can teach us knowledge but the path to soul is an inner one and cannot be taught.

Reading other peoples beliefs is fine there is nothing wrong with that at all. They are however someone else's experiences and beliefs. I believe we have to find our own path.
gismo

the_crow
22-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Finding your own enlightenment is the finest of all things. And quite possible.
I seriously doubt that anyone can communicate anything of value to anyone else.

NoPlaceToStand
28-06-2014, 10:11 AM
32silver, I would start by reading the Hua Hu Ching. It is very simple, and it lays out the basic ideas of Taoism. If you want something a little denser and more allegorical, I would pick up the works of Chuang Tzu.

The Tao Te Ching is the most referenced text, but it is VERY heavy on the symbolism and although I read it years ago, I didn't truly understand it until I had read a lot of other pre-taoist literature which described the meanings of the symbols.

Best regards from a simple fool,
-NoPlaceToStand

Bamboo
25-08-2014, 09:05 AM
It is okay to read and learn some basics from a book but please please please do not attempt to practice daoism or anything else that matter from a book or you will just become a two dimensional practitioner playing pretend.