PDA

View Full Version : V for Vendetta

CamelJoe
03-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Just saw the movie. Nice indeed. Not on original print but nearly as good as an original. Good stuff. Anyone else here seen it?

---------------------
http://imagegen.last.fm/Geldropdown-small/recenttracks/Camel-Joe.gif

CamelJoe
04-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Bumping the thread.

:icon_frown:

---------------------
http://imagegen.last.fm/Geldropdown-small/recenttracks/Camel-Joe.gif

Neville
09-04-2011, 09:46 PM
There is something quiet astounding about this movie in my opinion, It illustrates how social conditioning subtly or otherwise imposed on an individual by governments actually sows within the individual the seeds of rebellion.

Perhaps this movie made in 2005 was a very good , though unintentional prediction of all the toppling hegemonies we are seeing today. I liken these Governments to Mary Shelleys Victor Frankenstein where the focus of activity is almost always on aims but not always on the consequences.

Deusdrum
09-04-2011, 10:09 PM
*SPOILER*

Neville, one of my favourite endings of a movie..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UtojJT8ts&feature=related

Neville
09-04-2011, 10:36 PM
*SPOILER*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UtojJT8ts&feature=related

I think I will be watching it again very soon:smile:

Caityaka
15-04-2011, 05:36 PM
My wife spoke of this film the other day. I will need to find it and see it very soon. :smile:

/C

GentleStrength
16-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Interesting thing about this film is that the author was upset at the changes made to the ending, when I think Hollywood actually got it right compared to what he originally wrote. :smile:

Love and Light

norseman
16-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I find it too near to our current reality to be comfortable with it.

Mountain-Goat
18-04-2011, 05:12 AM
I have watched it once a few years ago. Looking forward to watching it again with my ever changing perception.

Can't remember if it had an inner impact on me or not first time around, but I did enjoy everything about it.

Eudaimonist
21-04-2011, 10:58 AM
V for Vendetta is an excellent film, although the graphic novel it was based on is even better.

I love the film's advocacy of personal freedom and opposition to totalitarianism. I also can't wait to see Atlas Shrugged Part I when it gets to Europe.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Wicked Willow
23-04-2011, 12:12 PM
V for Vendetta is an excellent film, although the graphic novel it was based on is even better.

I love the film's advocacy of personal freedom and opposition to totalitarianism. I also can't wait to see Atlas Shrugged Part I when it gets to Europe.

Yes, the graphic novel is much more nuanced and ambivalent, especially as far as the portrayal of the totalitarian government was concerned. The film's Leader was just a rather flat Hitleresque villain screaming orders at his underlings, whereas the graphic novel featured a rather complex character who was basically in love with the surveillance system he created.
Plus, the investigator experienced an epiphany upon taking LSD, experiencing intense visions while walking through the former concentration camp. I guess that was a bit too controversial for a mainstream film.

My greatest resentment towards the film version (which I still consider excellent, by the way) were V's dying words, with him declaring his love for Eve. That was utterly uncalled for, and probably owed to some script writer or producer saying something like: "Hey, shouldn't there be some sort of romance in there somewhere?"

The Lost Seafarer
23-04-2011, 09:56 PM
I think the movie is astounding, one of my favourites.
I'm very much of the belief that something should be enjoyed for what it is, and that people often look too deep into things for these hidden meanings and moral guidance or what not.
But I do believe that 'V for Vendetta' is really worthy of that - there's so much to it! It's a wonderful dialogue to an idea of what a totalitarian, dictatorial society would be like, a really incredible insight.
I became quite a fan of the works of the likes of George Orwell and his 'Animal Farm' and '1984' works, and this film really echoed those for me.
Even looking at the film on a more surface level, it's an absolutely wonderful movie with a particularly fantastic performance by Hugo Weaving. What a wonderful role that would be to play!

Aiki Pete
20-05-2011, 12:38 AM
I did a thread few months back but put it in general as did not know there was a film section :rolleyes:

A few good bits of input were added..I too noticed some deep symbology in this film..heres link if interested -
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12557

We also mention and duscuss afew other good films..actually we compiled quite a list.

Gem
20-05-2011, 12:55 AM
There is something quiet astounding about this movie in my opinion, It illustrates how social conditioning subtly or otherwise imposed on an individual by governments actually sows within the individual the seeds of rebellion.

Perhaps this movie made in 2005 was a very good , though unintentional prediction of all the toppling hegemonies we are seeing today. I liken these Governments to Mary Shelleys Victor Frankenstein where the focus of activity is almost always on aims but not always on the consequences.

Best film eva! I saved this speech to my U Tube favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6unWohhN0qY

Neville
18-07-2012, 09:39 PM
I watched it again tonight, just to see if things have changed since my first posting, particularly in the respect of crumbling hegemonies, And since, as we have seen perhaps most notably, Gaddafi, Mubarak and now Assad come under pressure and in the case of the former two become deposed.

So we get the need for national security escalating until it becomes a diminution of civil liberties. It's difficult to make out whats right, I mean ..getting your browsing and email screened by various "security" agencies , CCTV just about in all urban centers, even getting photographed naked while fully dressed at airports and any other number of personal violations.

Is it a few Radicals spoiling it for the masses ? Or is something more controlling , more sinister going on and being instigated at the highest levels ?

A necessary evil or an invasion of privacy. One thing for sure, there are more questions than answers posed by this Movie, which I think is it's appeal.

Mountain-Goat
11-11-2012, 03:56 AM
Well, i've been watching it on a regular basis since my last post. It's now one of all time favs.
Last time i watched it, the other week, it was the first time i noticed Evey had her moment of a major awakening while in jail( i don't like to use the term enlightenment anymore)
And ever so subtley you can hear a Buddhist type gong resounding as she has her moment of transformation.
Headfones allow the picking up of subtleties than room speakers can.

Lots of metaphysical concepts in this movie.

cMarie
01-02-2013, 05:26 AM
This is one of my favorite movies of all times, I love it!

It really moves me, and inspires me. Just a beautiful film.

DontBeAfraidEVER
20-02-2013, 09:23 AM
A great movie, but ive always felt theres something not right about it ^^

perceval
07-12-2013, 10:35 PM
*SPOILER*

One of the great ones, certainly, along with Charlie Chaplin's speech at the end of The Great Dictator.

Gem
08-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Well, i've been watching it on a regular basis since my last post. It's now one of all time favs.
Last time i watched it, the other week, it was the first time i noticed Evey had her moment of a major awakening while in jail( i don't like to use the term enlightenment anymore)
And ever so subtley you can hear a Buddhist type gong resounding as she has her moment of transformation.
Headfones allow the picking up of subtleties than room speakers can.

Lots of metaphysical concepts in this movie.

I thought it was after V took her out of the cell and she went outside and said 'God is in the Rain'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXf6wxeMFHc

Adept
18-01-2014, 07:47 PM

I dont like the movie anymore, very dumbed down. If you enjoyed it I recommend you read Alan Moore's graphic novel, it's almost just as good as Watchmen.

inspirit
01-02-2015, 03:46 AM
Yeah I didn't like it. The cute lesbians in the movie are the only thing redeeming in this whole piece of sh*te of a film. Natalie Portman also sucks.

I don't mean to offend.