PDA

View Full Version : My first ritual will be for Beltane

Lanzalady
21-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Hi all,

I've decided to do my first ritual on Beltane.

It'll just be me and I'm really excited about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do and what would be appropriate for this? As its my first I'm unsure and would welcome any thoughts or comments.

Thanks
Blessings!
LL

norseman
22-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Hi LanzaLady.
Here is a good, multipurpose ritual - I will be using it at Beltane for the festival at Thornborough Henge :D
www.sacredbrigantia.com (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.sacredbrigantia.com)

Calling the Quarters for Grounding and Protection.
[I always open with this when about to Stride the Hedge]

Welcome Elementals of the North, of Earth.
I ask that you bring your gifts of patience, endurance, stability, and prosperity [to this circle.]
Be welcome here.

Welcome Elementals of the East, of Air.
I ask that you bring your gifts of wisdom, intellect, perception, and inspiration [to this circle.]
Be welcome here.

Welcome Elementals of the South, of Fire.
I ask that you bring your gifts of passion, strength, energy, and will power [to this circle]
Be welcome here.

Welcome Elementals of the West, of Water.
I ask that you bring your gifts of emotion, pleasure, fertility, and receptivity [to this circle.]
Be welcome here

Welcome Elementals of the Centre, of Spirit.
[Alternatively – Welcome Spirit of Mother Earth ]
I ask that you bring guidance [to this circle. ]

After your ritual is over, never ever forget to dismiss the quarter entities. This should be done in the same manner but in a counter-clockwise fashion. It should go something like this...

Elementals of the Centre, of Spirit.
Thank you for the gifts that you have brought [to this circle.]
Stay if you will; go if you must.
Hail and Farewell!

Elementals of the West, of Water.
Hail and Farewell!

Elementals of the South, of Fire.
Hail and Farewell!

Elementals of the East, of Air.
Hail and Farewell!

Elementals of the North, of Earth.
Hail and Farewell!

As with all matters of the heart, mind and Craft, make sure that your intent is worthy of the beings that you call to watch or guard you. Such things can back-fire on you in very unexpected ways.

A very good general purpose ritual. Hope you enjoy Beltane :smile:

Lanzalady
22-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks Norseman, that's great. I haven't drawn a circle yet so there'll be lots to refresh myself with (I've read it but not actually done it) and make sure I have a good first ritual.

I looked at the website you posted the link for on a previous post you'd posted. It looked like a good time was had by all.

What exactly do you mean by 'Stride the hedge'?

Thanks again
Blessings!
LL

norseman
23-04-2013, 07:30 AM
"Striding the hedge" = "Crossing the veil". Journeying to the Spirit Realm to commune with ancestral spirits for advice and guidance. It is a core feature of certain paths [ Cunning Folk, Hedge Witches ]

Hope Beltane goes well for you. I will post some photos of the Thornborough Festival - some Hand-fastings being done I gather. :smile:

Lanzalady
23-04-2013, 07:14 PM
So people will be betrothed for real? Not just an enactment? Excuse my ignorance please!!!

goldentimes
24-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Hi Lanzalady, I haven't got any rituals, but one thing I am hoping to do is make my own mini Maypole to put on to my working area.
I have the ribbons and the paper flowers-(I have paper flowers instead of real as I like to see the flowers grow in the wild) Now i got to start looking out for a stick that is already on the floor (this will make my pole). I just hope it works out as it is my 1st real maypole.

You could make a head wreath made from flowers and even ribbons-greens, yellows, blues, pinks etc. and wear it for your workings on mayday or wear just for the day of May.
And if you can light a beltane fire or just light a candle that's another thing that you can do.

What ever you do, I hope you will enjoy it and have lots of fun
Best regards & Blessings!

norseman
24-04-2013, 06:00 PM
So people will be betrothed for real? Not just an enactment? Excuse my ignorance please!!!

It was a full ceremony in medieval times, now it is backed up with a civil ceremony.

Lanzalady
24-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Hi Goldentmes.

I had been thinking of making some kind of head wear. There's a beautiful flower over here called bourgonvilla. I'm not sure of the spelling, but it's very vivid in pinks and reds. I'll see if I can get some red.

We don't have much in the way of flowers here, mostly cacti and aloe Vera and lots of mossy plants. It's a vet arid environment so no much grows. The only grass you'll see here is on a golf course...!

I picked up a fallen branch from a tree-like weed that grows here. I have no idea what it's called. My plan was to make my first wand with it. It was about 3/4" diameter and tapered off with a slight bend. It was perfect and i just needed to leave it out in the sun to dry out so I old cut it down and sand it. Unfortunately my 10 month old pup had her own ideas and managed to get her teeth on it. Chewed it to pieces, so I need to start again.

Good luck with our maypole!!! I hope it works out well for you.

Blessings!
LL

Lanzalady
24-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Hi Norseman,

How lovely for those involved with handfasting. I'm a bit of a romantic at heart so I'd probably be crying my eyes out if I was there watching it. Hehe.

I must admit, I'm really excited about my first ritual. Since choosing this path, only a matter of a month or so ago, I have definitely had a spring in my step. I'm not sleeping very well but I think it's the anticipation of this whole new way of life for me and I'm not feeling tired the way i would normally do. There's a sense of wonder about it all.

I wish I could be going to Thornborough.

Thank you also for explaining Striding the hedge. I thought it was something like that but I wasn't sure.

Blessings!
LL

Lanzalady
24-04-2013, 10:39 PM
While talking about my first ritual I would like a little advice if possible.

I live in Lanzarote. Up to this point, I haven't been able to fine any shops or outlets that are occult/metaphysical. At this point I have no tools at all and the dog ate what was going to be my first wand ;-)

I appreciate I can buy stuff online, but in the interim I will have to use whatever is at my disposal.

So, is it really important what colour candles I use? I don't possess an athame, so would it be ok to use something like a pottery knife? I don't possess a cauldron, so would it be ok to light my Beltane fire in an old BBQ? I can go to a flower shop and pick up some flowers, but not necessarily the ones that would be needed for a specific ritual. I would have to use little glass candle holders for my salt and water on the altar. Is that acceptable? The other thing is, I don't really have access to things that are relevant to particular deities. Does this matter? I am under the impression that 'intention' is what's important, but I'm nervous about offending.

Can any one give me their thoughts please?

Thanks
Blessings!
LL

norseman
25-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Lanzalady - :D just caught on to where your name comes from :D

OK, Tools. I don't really use any. I have a walking staff which I have adapted as a camera monopod, a Swiss Army knife and that's about it. Wand - don't use them ! It's pretty much a feature of my Path [Cunning Folk] that we don't go in for tools or complex rituals [except Striding the Hedge of course]. I have always thought that anything you do decide to use should be made by you from natural materials [more Earth energy]
Athame, cauldron, robes - no ! [although I do have a wolf's head dress :smile:]
This is my temple. A small dale with a stream. It has a cleansing pool below the waterfall and a rock shelf as an altar.
My message is - your Will and Intent are more powerful that any amount of tools. Go with what you have and what feels right for you. :hug3:
Just enjoy !

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/northeast/800px-Kisdon_Force-1.jpg (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fs282.photobucket.com %25252Fuser%25252Fnorseman_photo%25252Fmedia%25252 Fnortheast%25252F800px-Kisdon_Force-1.jpg.html)

goldentimes
25-04-2013, 12:52 PM
yes, you do not have to use tools, but I feel that tools can give you little spiritual feelings and helps me feel energy more. I use wands at times, but you can use your finger and I do not use a robes always, but you can just have something to wear for your craft work. You also do not need a big alter, a small table will do or any shelf will do. I have shelf above my fire place and I use as well a small table.

If you are like me and you would like to use some tools, then yes a BBQ would make a Beltane fire. A athame I use a black handle letter opener or you can use a black handle kitchen knife that you do not use in the kitchen or a black handle penknife-anything like that that can be used, as long it has a black handle and pointed to being semi-sharp. If you do not have coloured candles, then use clear white and you can then use your athame to write on each one earth, fire, water, air and have them set at the 4 points on your alter. For the god(s) and goddess(es) you can find a white or gray stone-for the female and a dark brown or black- for male, or what you can do is find 2 good size pebbles and some paint, simply paint a god or the sun and goddess or the 4 moons-(the 4th sits on top of the full moon). If you can get to the flower shop, then I would go and get some flowers to put on your alter- 1) it can be an offering, 2) it's makes your alter lovely and 3) you could buy the right colour for each Festival (it doesn't matter what the flowers are, but the coloures "I think" does).

If your not happy working with your gods at any time, then you can just work with the spirits of earth, fire, water, air as long as you thank them and it's good if you leave an offering, but you could say to them that you are leaving the flowers for them. I would say to you to follow norseman's openings and closings (Calling the Quarters for Grounding and Protection. After your ritual is over, never ever forget to dismiss the quarter entities.)

And do remember "Do Not Harm Non" or what will be sent out, will come back!

Good luck and I hope this helps? any other questions, then please put them down and we'll try and answer them.
Best Regards & blessings!

Lanzalady
25-04-2013, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=norseman]Lanzalady - :D just caught on to where your name comes from :D

OK, Tools. I don't really use any. I have a walking staff which I have adapted as a camera monopod, a Swiss Army knife and that's about it. Wand - don't use them ! It's pretty much a feature of my Path [Cunning Folk] that we don't go in for tools or complex rituals [except Striding the Hedge of course]. I have always thought that anything you do decide to use should be made by you from natural materials [more Earth energy]
Athame, cauldron, robes - no ! [although I do have a wolf's head dress :smile:]
This is my temple. A small dale with a stream. It has a cleansing pool below the waterfall and a rock shelf as an altar.
My message is - your Will and Intent are more powerful that any amount of tools. Go with what you have and what feels right for you. :hug3:
Just enjoy !

Hi Norseman,

I hope I'm not getting on your nerves with all these questions, but what do you put on your altar in that beautiful dale?

And, do you class yourself as a Pagan? The more I get into this the more confused I get. I had never heard of 'cunning folk' before your post. Is that the same as a white witch?

Thank you and I hope I'm not being too much of a pain.

Blessings!
LL

Lanzalady
25-04-2013, 06:37 PM
yes, you do not have to use tools, but I feel that tools can give you little spiritual feelings and helps me feel energy more. I use wands at times, but you can use your finger and I do not use a robes always, but you can just have something to wear for your craft work. You also do not need a big alter, a small table will do or any shelf will do. I have shelf above my fire place and I use as well a small table.

If you are like me and you would like to use some tools, then yes a BBQ would make a Beltane fire. A athame I use a black handle letter opener or you can use a black handle kitchen knife that you do not use in the kitchen or a black handle penknife-anything like that that can be used, as long it has a black handle and pointed to being semi-sharp. If you do not have coloured candles, then use clear white and you can then use your athame to write on each one earth, fire, water, air and have them set at the 4 points on your alter. For the god(s) and goddess(es) you can find a white or gray stone-for the female and a dark brown or black- for male, or what you can do is find 2 good size pebbles and some paint, simply paint a god or the sun and goddess or the 4 moons-(the 4th sits on top of the full moon). If you can get to the flower shop, then I would go and get some flowers to put on your alter- 1) it can be an offering, 2) it's makes your alter lovely and 3) you could buy the right colour for each Festival (it doesn't matter what the flowers are, but the coloures "I think" does).

If your not happy working with your gods at any time, then you can just work with the spirits of earth, fire, water, air as long as you thank them and it's good if you leave an offering, but you could say to them that you are leaving the flowers for them. I would say to you to follow norseman's openings and closings (Calling the Quarters for Grounding and Protection. After your ritual is over, never ever forget to dismiss the quarter entities.)

Good luck and I hope this helps? any other questions, then please put them down and we'll try and answer them.

Thank you Goldentimes. I really like the idea of using stones to represent the God/Goddess. Can I ask, and i hope I'm not being nosey or rude, as a White Witch do you worship the God or Goddess? (And i just went back into your profile and saw that you do so please ignore that question - I'd already posted it. Sorry).

This is all so new and there are so many different paths I'm just trying to work out what goes with what - if you know what I mean? Do all White Witches believe in the God and Goddess?

Blessings!
LL

norseman
25-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Hi LanzaLady - dont worry about questions. Anything I can answer, then I am happy too.
What do I put on my altar ? - things like pine cones, pebbles that attract my attention, wild flowers, feathers.
CunningFolk - ready for a long read :D ?
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4753

The Cunning Folk were first named by the Saxons as "Cunning" but they were here much earlier - tribal Wise Men/Women. [Saxon "cunnan" = "knowing"]
In medieval times, "civilians" did use the description White Witch but they tried to distinguish between the Cunning and the Witches, white -v- black.Truth is that the Cunning Path is a Crooked Path.
Do I regard myself as pagan ? Certainly. I am a dedicated Servant of Gaia. We do have another name recently - Hedge Witch - and more and more Wiccans are turning to the Cunning Path because of it's simplicity and individuality.

This is Thornborough Henge from the air
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/df706cf9.png
Three Earth-bank rings, about 5000 years old.
Have fun ! :hug3:

Lanzalady
26-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Hi LanzaLady - dont worry about questions. Anything I can answer, then I am happy too.
What do I put on my altar ? - things like pine cones, pebbles that attract my attention, wild flowers, feathers.
CunningFolk - ready for a long read :D ?
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4753

The Cunning Folk were first named by the Saxons as "Cunning" but they were here much earlier - tribal Wise Men/Women. [Saxon "cunnan" = "knowing"]
In medieval times, "civilians" did use the description White Witch but they tried to distinguish between the Cunning and the Witches, white -v- black.Truth is that the Cunning Path is a Crooked Path.
Do I regard myself as pagan ? Certainly. I am a dedicated Servant of Gaia. We do have another name recently - Hedge Witch - and more and more Wiccans are turning to the Cunning Path because of it's simplicity and individuality.

This is Thornborough Henge from the air
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/df706cf9.png
Three Earth-bank rings, about 5000 years old.
Have fun ! :hug3:

Hi Norseman,

Wow. That was really interesting. I found another link (within the posts of the link above) where you'd gone into much more detail and have only just finished reading that. I think I need to read it a few times to absorb it all but it was very enjoyable.

I also had a quick look at Gaia on the web. I looked on Wikipedia. And here was me thinking spanish was difficult to learn... ;-) The article is full of names I can't pronounce haha. I'll need to go through that a few times too. ;-)

There is so much for me to learn but apart from that, there's so much for me to decide upon as well, ie what path to go down as there's so much available under the band of Paganish/Wicca/Polytheism etc.

I don't exactly know what I believe but I know I believe in something.

Thank you so much for your help and the links and the pics too.

I am starting to realise there are literally hundreds of paths available to me. It's quite awe inspiring and frightening (in a good way) at the same time.

Thanks again and I hope we can talk again.

Blessings!
LL

norseman
27-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Anytime, LanzaLady :hug3:
Oh, just a final thought. You might like to look up The Gaia Principle by Lovelock on Wiki. Locklock proposed that Gaia [= planet Earth] was a self-regulating organism which maintained conditions for life. It began as a hypothesis but now upgraded to "principle" as some of the original ideas have been found to be correct.

Lanzalady
28-04-2013, 09:24 PM

Hi Goldentimes,

You mentioned painting the 4 moons with the 4th sitting on top of the full moon. I'm not sure what that looks like. Can you direct me to an image of it on the web anywhere please?

Thanks.

Blessings!
LL

goldentimes
04-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Hi Goldentimes,

You mentioned painting the 4 moons with the 4th sitting on top of the full moon. I'm not sure what that looks like. Can you direct me to an image of it on the web anywhere please?

Thanks.

Blessings!
LL

I do not know how I put images within the thread as I haven't done it, but I can tell you......how it go's.
1st, think about the horn god-by painting a filled in circle and then put a quilter moon on her back on top of the circle so it is touching, so the points are facing up. Then just add your 2 quilter moons (points facing out) on each side of the full moon (which would be your filled in circle).

Do note that the 4th moon is new moon and she is dark moon so therefore she is only to be called upon at deaths (meaning when someone has pass on)
or when crafting the dark arts (meaning when wanting to do harm)
I would say to you is not to call upon her as you are a learner and even I do not call upon her. So I would do just the 3 faces of the moon on your stone anyway.

Not all witches worship the gods and the goddesses/god and the goddess but will call upon the elements-Air, Water, Fire, Earth.
If you worship a god and a goddess, then you are a pagan but if you worship more then one god and goddess, then you can class yourself a wiccan. If you do not worship any of the gods (male or/and female) then you not a pagan nor a wicca, your just a witch-who isn't religion.

Pagan worship the horn god or/and the green man and Mother Earth meanly, sometimes "more so today" worship the moon goddess.
Wicca's worship gods and goddesses. I think they have a god and goddess for every thing in nature ie trees, sea, land, lakes, plants, animals, sun and many more but I'm not 100% on this as I manly worship on the pagan's god, and goddesses and also the Elements but I do worship the sun god.
I have been studying Cottage witch which something you may like to take a look at as I think it is a good place to start for anyone that is new to the ideas.

Think of tribes when it comes to different founders within witches, wiccan etc. for sample: You may have Africa tribes and India tribes etc, but within each family tribe group you would have there own believes and call themselves different names ie Gardnerian Witchcraft, Alexandrian Wicca, Hedge or Kitchen Witches and many more (I do not know if african or India tribes would really be these but it's away I can tell you). You might like to look up on the web and see what you can find, see what you like and what feels good and right for you.

I hope this helps you on your travels and good luck on your research
Best Regards & Blessings!

Lanzalady
06-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks Goldentimes. I really appreciate that and it gives me lots to check out on the web.

Blessings!
LL

norseman
06-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Some photos from Beltane at Thornborough. Good weather, big group. Huge circle - too big to photograph in one shot !

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/Beltane13/DSCF0287_zps85db418f.jpg (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fs282.photobucket.com %25252Fuser%25252Fnorseman_photo%25252Fmedia%25252 FBeltane13%25252FDSCF0287_zps85db418f.jpg.html)

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/Beltane13/DSCF0293_zpsa5fd15ef.jpg (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fs282.photobucket.com %25252Fuser%25252Fnorseman_photo%25252Fmedia%25252 FBeltane13%25252FDSCF0293_zpsa5fd15ef.jpg.html)

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/Beltane13/DSCF0288_zps4de1d83d.jpg (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.spiritualforums. com%25252Fvb%25252Fredir.php%25253Flink%25253Dhttp %2525253A%2525252F%2525252Fs282.photobucket.com%25 25252Fuser%2525252Fnorseman_photo%2525252Fmedia%25 25252FBeltane13%2525252FDSCF0288_zps4de1d83d.jpg.h tml)

Lanzalady
06-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Norseman, did you enjoy yourself? It looks like a good turnout. And did you go skyclad in the end...? Hehe ;-)

norseman
07-05-2013, 08:19 AM
All great time, Lanzalady. Weather good but not that good for skyclad. Better that I reserve the skyclad thing for the moors at midnight :D You HAVE seen the movie "An American Werewolf in London" - well that takes place on my moor :icon_eek: [Next big moot is Mabon. How did your Beltane go ?

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/UpHellyAa/DSCF0183_zpse8b37de9.jpg (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fi28 2.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fkk267%252Fnorsema n_photo%252FUpHellyAa%252FDSCF0183_zpse8b37de9.jpg )

[:D me at Viking Fire Festival this January in Shetland]

Lanzalady
07-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Well, I can definitely see the resemblance to that film!!! ;-). At least that will keep some parts of you warm on a moonlit night when you're skyclad.

Beltane was lovely thank you. It was very quiet and quite serene. I'm not sure i grounded very well afterwards as I was very restless and next day I was a little low. I guess that was because all the adrenaline, that had been going through me for weeks, had finally dissipated. I very much enjoyed it though. I'm looking forward to the next one...

Jenny Crow
13-05-2013, 03:23 AM
Do note that the 4th moon is new moon and she is dark moon so therefore she is only to be called upon at deaths (meaning when someone has pass on)
or when crafting the dark arts (meaning when wanting to do harm)
I would say to you is not to call upon her as you are a learner and even I do not call upon her. So I would do just the 3 faces of the moon on your stone anyway.

Not all witches worship the gods and the goddesses/god and the goddess but will call upon the elements-Air, Water, Fire, Earth.
If you worship a god and a goddess, then you are a pagan but if you worship more then one god and goddess, then you can class yourself a wiccan. If you do not worship any of the gods (male or/and female) then you not a pagan nor a wicca, your just a witch-who isn't religion.

Pagan worship the horn god or/and the green man and Mother Earth meanly, sometimes "more so today" worship the moon goddess.
Wicca's worship gods and goddesses. I think they have a god and goddess for every thing in nature ie trees, sea, land, lakes, plants, animals, sun and many more but I'm not 100% on this as I manly worship on the pagan's god, and goddesses and also the Elements but I do worship the sun god.
I have been studying Cottage witch which something you may like to take a look at as I think it is a good place to start for anyone that is new to the ideas.

Think of tribes when it comes to different founders within witches, wiccan etc. for sample: You may have Africa tribes and India tribes etc, but within each family tribe group you would have there own believes and call themselves different names ie Gardnerian Witchcraft, Alexandrian Wicca, Hedge or Kitchen Witches and many more (I do not know if african or India tribes would really be these but it's away I can tell you). You might like to look up on the web and see what you can find, see what you like and what feels good and right for you.

I hope this helps you on your travels and good luck on your research
Best Regards & Blessings!

In my practice the waning moon up to the few seconds before the New Moon is thought of as a time when you can work to release something that you feel you no longer need to hold on to (for example certain negative habits). Before you can bring something new into your life maybe you need to release worn out beliefs or certain energies that are blocking you from moving on with your life, and you can work on the waning moon right up until the night of the New Moon as long as your work ends (sorry for repeating myself here, lol) a few minutes before the moon shifts into her "new, waxing phase". The 4th phase of the moon can clear much away and leave you refreshed and at the same time at peace with yourself.

I agree that not all Witches worship deities, however, if you worship a god and goddess then you are Pagan and maybe Wiccan but not necessarily. If you worship/honour and work with more than one god and goddes then you're still Pagan and maybe Wiccan although Wiccans are often duo-theistic in that they worship/honour a Triple Goddess and a Horned God (such as Diana and Cernunos e.g.) There's a saying: 'All Witches are Pagan but not all Pagans are Witches'. lol - confused yet?

I agree that some Pagans worship the Horned God and Mother Earth (Gaia) but other Pagans worship many other deities. And yes, there are land deities, sea deities, lake and river deities, sun and moon deities etc. whom Pagans worship but so do many Wiccans.

To understand Alexandrian and Gardnerian Witchcraft I would recommend reading an old but good book written by Janet and Stewart Farrar called the Witches' Bible which actually encompasses two books.

Blessings, Jenny Crow

Jenny Crow
13-05-2013, 03:26 AM
Norseman,
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. It's nice to see so many people turning out.

Jenny Crow

Lanzalady
14-05-2013, 07:56 AM
In my practice the waning moon up to the few seconds before the New Moon is thought of as a time when you can work to release something that you feel you no longer need to hold on to (for example certain negative habits). Before you can bring something new into your life maybe you need to release worn out beliefs or certain energies that are blocking you from moving on with your life, and you can work on the waning moon right up until the night of the New Moon as long as your work ends (sorry for repeating myself here, lol) a few minutes before the moon shifts into her "new, waxing phase". The 4th phase of the moon can clear much away and leave you refreshed and at the same time at peace with yourself.

I agree that not all Witches worship deities, however, if you worship a god and goddess then you are Pagan and maybe Wiccan but not necessarily. If you worship/honour and work with more than one god and goddes then you're still Pagan and maybe Wiccan although Wiccans are often duo-theistic in that they worship/honour a Triple Goddess and a Horned God (such as Diana and Cernunos e.g.) There's a saying: 'All Witches are Pagan but not all Pagans are Witches'. lol - confused yet?

I agree that some Pagans worship the Horned God and Mother Earth (Gaia) but other Pagans worship many other deities. And yes, there are land deities, sea deities, lake and river deities, sun and moon deities etc. whom Pagans worship but so do many Wiccans.

To understand Alexandrian and Gardnerian Witchcraft I would recommend reading an old but good book written by Janet and Stewart Farrar called the Witches' Bible which actually encompasses two books.

Blessings, Jenny Crow

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your post. Confused...? Me...? Always!!! :confused: :wink:

Now this is where i show my complete ignorance!!! How would one know when there's only a few minutes left of the waning moon and the new moon phase is about to start? I mean, I can look at a calendar and see when the next new moon is. Do I just assume I have up to a couple of minutes prior to midnight the night before to do something regarding negative energy?

Sorry if this is a 'DUH' question haha, but I don't want to do it wrong :icon_eek:

Thanks
Blessings!
LL

Jenny Crow
14-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Not a DUH question, lol :hug3: Actually, there's the Witches' Calender you buy from Llewellynn but I like Llewellyn's Witches' Datebook which comes out each year. All the moon phases are listed for you plus planetary movements such as Mercury retrogrades and it lists, day by day, what sign the moon is in which is good to know for working spells. It also tells you when the moon is void of course (which is NOT a good time for spell work, lol)

For example for May 9th it lets you know that the moon is in the 4th quarter, the moon goes void of course at 8:28 pm and New Moon is at 8:28 pm. It's a great little book and you can order it on-line.

There are also a few articles that are usually interesting written by different authors and there's information on Daily Magical Influences (each day is ruled by a particular planet, for instance Tuesday is ruled by Mars which has to do with aggression, protection etc.). It also talks about how the moon is always moving through different signs of the zodiac, usually staying for a couple of days in each sign. Example - moon in Aries is good for starting things.

Jenny Crow

Lanzalady
14-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Not a DUH question, lol :hug3: Actually, there's the Witches' Calender you buy from Llewellynn but I like Llewellyn's Witches' Datebook which comes out each year. All the moon phases are listed for you plus planetary movements such as Mercury retrogrades and it lists, day by day, what sign the moon is in which is good to know for working spells. It also tells you when the moon is void of course (which is NOT a good time for spell work, lol)

For example for May 9th it lets you know that the moon is in the 4th quarter, the moon goes void of course at 8:28 pm and New Moon is at 8:28 pm. It's a great little book and you can order it on-line.

There are also a few articles that are usually interesting written by different authors and there's information on Daily Magical Influences (each day is ruled by a particular planet, for instance Tuesday is ruled by Mars which has to do with aggression, protection etc.). It also talks about how the moon is always moving through different signs of the zodiac, usually staying for a couple of days in each sign. Example - moon in Aries is good for starting things.

Jenny Crow

Thanks Jenny, that definitely sounds interesting. Right now, and I think for a long time to come, I'm going to be constantly referring to words, dates, moon phases etc. I think that is definitely something that might help me. I don't think of myself as a witch but a book with quick reference info would definitely come in handy. Thank you for that.

Next day day for sure!:hug2:

Blessings!
LL