PDA

View Full Version : A mutual friend said he felt uneasy about this place

Jenhearther
14-04-2013, 09:44 PM
My friend said this place made him feel uneasy.

He just started his spiritual path, so I figured I'd show him this site and it might be of help to him...he responsed saying that he felt anger and uneasy feelings towards this site and he wasn't coming here anymore.
Explain please?

Mr Interesting
14-04-2013, 09:59 PM
anger can often be a defence mechanism, and when it's said like that it's rather obvious isn't it?

see something you're ready for yet and there's so much of it then getting confused and resorting to anger is a reasonable response. he may know within himself to just take it all one step at a time and is resisting, naturally, going too far too fast, so maybe trust that and discuss how anger can be used as a defence of the self.

Jenhearther
14-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the explanation :).

knightofalbion
14-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Also, after years of exposure to 'our way is the only way' attitude of orthodoxy it can be a culture shock to come to a place like this.

Also there is a bewildering array of different faiths and ideologies expressed here.
But when the person comes to understand that the different faiths are but 'branches of a tree' and that there are many different paths and yet by paradox just one path then it will all make sense.

fire
16-04-2013, 11:57 PM

He just started his spiritual path, so I figured I'd show him this site and it might be of help to him...he responsed saying that he felt anger and uneasy feelings towards this site and he wasn't coming here anymore.
Explain please?
[Edit: misread post]

Tobi
17-04-2013, 12:05 AM
I don't know if this is his reason or not (he may well have other reasons)
But the diversity of subjects here, the many different things all being discussed, the ups and downs, the rest of it all might be a bit too much to take on board when someone is just starting their spiritual awareness journey?
It might feel like "uh-oh -too much to cope with all at once!"

Also there might be some other reason, such as right now your friend feels the need to go deep within and find/honour his center, without too much influence or distraction or too much "talking"?

missrachel300
17-04-2013, 12:33 AM
I've read plenty of things on this website that have made me feel angry and uneasy. Lol.

I guess it would be best to figure out exactly why he feels that way.

VesicaPhoenix11
17-04-2013, 01:44 AM
When I read this yesterday I agreed with the other responses so I didn't respond as I didn't have anything new to contribute. I still agree with the other responses but, now, today, I have a different perception. I do not get a uneasy or angry feeling from SF - in fact, mainly quite the opposite. In my short time back I've learned quite a few lessons about myself I had forgotten - within the first couple days I had my defensiveness called out in a sincere way (thank you Meadows) and saw myself react to someone else in a knee jerk manner about "love" and realized I was attacking others and assuming to know more about their reasoning than I did to defend a personal principle that doesn't need defending (thank you Gem) - which is not what I want to do.

But - I think part of what is going on with me right now is a 2nd "waking up" - and it can be a frightening place when your trying to figure out what it is your listening to within, where these feelings are coming from, and then to discuss it with others when you have no idea who those others are. The internet is big - there are a lot of people - and when your fragile "spiritually" (energetically) because your integrating all this new awareness (like in a spiritual awakening) - and to put yourself out here is very - open. That can be a growing experience, but it can be difficult when your still unsure of what is going on with yourself. I know I usually relate feelings of anger with feelings of fear - a need to protect the self.

I do not know if this has anything to do with what your friend is feeling, every one is different and feels things for different reasons - I am just relating from my view point as all of a sudden this became pertinent to my experience, hopefully it helps in some small way. I wish you and your friend well!

trixiewilbury
17-04-2013, 02:03 AM
It sounds like a defense mechanism, as others I think have suggested. It can be overwhelming. And, as in anything else, take what you like and leave the rest. If "the rest" is the whole website, well, he should listen to his intuition. May be too much for him.

The reason I found it was because I searched for a particular subject and someone's post turned up in my search. Maybe he'll have a question sometime and he'll think of this place and give it another try. We all have our own path.

There's a huge diversity of people here, lots of different levels and cultures and beliefs. It's been a fascinating journey for me.

Terracotta
17-04-2013, 04:47 AM
I have my fair share of reservations toward most spiritual communities. The "us vs them" mentality grates on me when I see it, especially coming from people who think themselves enlightened. Some places aren't for everyone.

CrystalSong
17-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Nothing like any public forum or community to mirror back to us that which most needs resolved inside us. 'Gotta Love those mirrors!

I can empathize with him, looking back over some of my knee jerk reactions to people over the course of learning I realize now that those I most was infuriated by were my greatest teachers who spurred me into self healing because I truly didn't want to have that sort of a reaction as a just awakening being - it seemed counter productive in the Bigger Picture.

Of course in the beginning even the concept of 'Others as a Mirror' was somehow maddening. =D
He'll be okay, give him time, love and gentleness, we all make it eventually =D

froebellian
17-04-2013, 01:18 PM
With all forums, one must pick and choose what they read or resonate with..I get frustrated with other sites when people feel elitist.

There can be negativity in posts, opinions that can trigger emotions..at times I see posts that are infuriating on SF so I choose not to read them..

Emmalevine
17-04-2013, 01:19 PM
I'd imagine that says a lot more about him than it does about the site. I mean no disrespect in saying that though.

IsleWalker
17-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Or he might just be empathic (and may not know it) and picking up on all the strong emotions out here.

Lora

Sarian
17-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Well, there are some subforums here that make me raise my eyebrows and some posts that I think, hmmmmm, what am I doing here. A friend of mine wanted to check this forum I go to once in awhile. I honestly was uneasy about it and never gave it to him. I didn't think he'd think much of it. I don't feel the same about this place as I did when I first started coming here....and that changed pretty quick, but I haven't found another place to go to that I like and I'm a one forum type of person. Plus there are a few people here that I do admire and respect and enjoy reading what they have to say. :-)

Miss Hepburn
17-04-2013, 02:56 PM
He's jealous because we're so cool.
:glasses1:

merrie
17-04-2013, 03:33 PM
It can be overwhelming because there is so much to absorb which can lead to spiritual indigestion. We cannot absorb it all at once. There is always something to learn that we did not know about before. You can gain a fresh perspective on many things. SF is a great spiritual melting pot.

Ivy
17-04-2013, 09:40 PM
It seems as if your friends intuition is strong.

It may be that he can't explain yet why he feels this way. But a spiritual journey is about accepting those feelings and exploring them further.

I think it's good that your friend recognised his own voice and followed it.

But I'm not sure that asking others to judge a complete unknown is going to get you anything but our own reflections on why we might have felt that way. Only your friend can really let you know the outcome of his feelings.

Teal
17-04-2013, 10:21 PM
He's jealous because we're so cool.
:glasses1:
lol I would agree... lol but sometimes forums are overwhelming. Where to begin. Do you want to post?should you post?

With time you are excited to share and read and just get lost in the forum. well that was/is me.

running
17-04-2013, 10:35 PM
I think that could be normal. Perhaps he was perfect in his own idealogys. He comes here and feels swarmed by a million starships each saying something. I have felt that way and have stayed away from anything termed as spiritual. I was in love with my own path and wanted it to be unique. Feeling a swarm of ideas coming at me seemed pointless. Its taken me years to feel comfortable around this stuff. Now I feel comfortable.

running
17-04-2013, 10:49 PM
And now its also fun I should add

CrystalSong
18-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Good for you! Coming to Peace is such an awesome thing =)

Saggi
18-04-2013, 04:57 AM
I totally agree with Lorna and Meadows

How did you find SF? Did you search? Was you recommended? If so, that was right for you! If not, let them find their own way,,, Maybe the start of their journey will be totally different to yours,,,

Although, this was my own personal journey, I searched and searched on Google for an answer in the beginning and one of the many answers led me here,,,

There were many other sites, some not spiritual, that I came across and turned my back on because they didn't feel right for me,,,

You recommended, they checked it out, it doesn't feel right for them, so be it!

Let them walk their own path,,,

Just like you did/do yours!

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx

amy green
18-04-2013, 10:56 AM
I wonder what the state of mind was when appraising this site. It can well be a case of LAO, i.e. if feeling irritable/angry then this will be what is picked up here - which misses out on all the good stuff of course! :smile:

peteyzen
18-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Miss Hepburn is definitely right!

Jenhearther
18-04-2013, 11:44 AM
He said he give it another try, I told him
don't let scare you. Proud of him :)..

@ Saggi
how did I find this place? well a few years ago I ran acrossed when I was doing a search on male and female energys, and Had a few questions although I didn't stay long..But Here I am what drew me here the second time? The wind blew me in. ;) :D

@amy green: Hmm I can't speak for my friend however when your new to things sometimes it's easy to feel odd about a place or situation. Idk that's how I see it.

@ Miss Hepburn- ha ha naw he's just scared even told me himself..but I know he'll come around. :)

@ tealtwist- yes agreed

@ running K- that's a good way of looking at it.

@ knightofalbion- nods nods

@Tobi - he's actually the quiet type and rather shy, I do agree there's too much for him to cope with at this moment but he'll come around.

@ missrachel300- perfectly normal

@ VesicaPhoenix11- Really liked what you said :)

@ trixiewilbury- Yes it is possibly he is scared and making excuses. That's true, and glad you find good in this place much like we all do here.

if I missed anyone Im sorry.

Miss Hepburn
18-04-2013, 05:05 PM
I know!!
He read psychoslice's Just in case you forgot Thread!.

Mystery solved.

Seawolf
19-04-2013, 05:43 AM

Explain please?
Someone just starting a spiritual path probably has more sense.

HalfGirl
19-04-2013, 01:08 PM
I think a forum like this can be quite overwhelming. I just check out and post on a few sub forums and just go step by step. Sometimes I read threads, to which I simply can’t relate, but that’s fine, they may be helpful for others. So I sort of pick and choose what I like and don’t get too much involved into the rest. Perhaps your friends simply needs to go step by step.

running
19-04-2013, 04:59 PM
I believe everyone has there own journey. And like snow flakes each is Unique. Coming here can be distracting. I like it here. But I have seen the other side as well. I grow the same on either side. Right now I feel like hearing about other peoples experiences. Next week I may care less. I may find it distracting to my own. I feel its all good. What ever works, have fun with it!

Everything in life is a spiritual experience to me. How one place is and somewhere else isn't doesn't make any sense to me.

running
19-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Calling somethimg spiritual perhaps is just a way of labeling something. I'm not saying I think its bad but I remind myself its us that labels things. Were just people. How much do we realy know anyways. I know I don't know much. I have found in my experience those claiming to know a lot usualy don't know as much as they think they do

running
19-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Those are just my thouhts about it. I can go round and round on this topic. What ever he does I wish the best for him!

blackraven
19-04-2013, 05:27 PM

Explain please?

JenHearther - It took me a while to realize you are talking about SF and not a physical site you took him too. My sister, who suffers from mental illness, said she cannot have a bible in the house and definitely not read one. For some reason she feels that evil surrounds her when she engages in religious study in her home. Whether or not her reasoning is flawed or not, that's her call for her life. But outside of her home, she speaks of worshipping God only and that evil in the world is very real. I can only surmise that given she does have a religious faith (Christian) her actions in her home in reference to Bible-reading may be fueled by fear that evil comes to her when things are good. She has had one disappointment in her life after another and nothing ever seems to work out for long that is good. Irrational? Maybe, but I only present this individual situation to demonstrate that any one of us can have what others would perceive as confusing or irrational reactions, but really, I believe it has a lot to do with a person's experiences in life, beliefs and a whole slew of psychological factors.

I was attacked by a dog while walking my own dog. After my dog was severely injured this dog-lover is now afraid of dogs to the point that I couldn't walk my dog anymore alone. I feel dogs have 2 sides to them, nice or mean and dog owners don't always know their own dogs and their makeup. Some would say my thinking is irrational, but it is fear-based given a frightening experience.

I don't know why your friend reacted as he did, but sometimes things aren't for us to comprehend, but to accept we're all different.

Blackraven

It is all good
19-04-2013, 05:49 PM
I can understand how your friend feels. I had the same experience on another forum board on spirituality years ago. I just wasn't ready for that part of my journey yet but I so wanted to be there that I pushed myself into it. I'm new here and don't know much about this forum yet but I had a feeling of being at home when I first began reading it. I would be willing to bet that, when your friend is ready, he will find someplace where he immediately feels at home too. :smile: