PDA

View Full Version : Television sets...do they harm spirituatity

Spiritlite
19-10-2010, 06:28 PM
If it were up to me I'd not have a tv set in our home, but my husband enjoys tv so I have two tv sets in our home.
When I was in college and before I met my husband I didn'[t have tv and I noticed that I was not influenced by tv in that I had a high self esteem, I was more free, and I was more spiritual.
Do you think that the govt, controls us thru tv? Do you think they send subliminal messages or waves to us when we watch and so we are controlled by the govt?
What do you think
Spiritlite:dark1:

earthprowler
19-10-2010, 06:47 PM
possibly but in my house they just make me lazy like an addict. :notworthy::mblah05::disgust:

in progress
19-10-2010, 06:54 PM
I agree w/ all your thoughts about tv. I saw on another thread you started reading Marciniak's book and so did I. Is that where you got the idea?

When kundalini hit I had much less desire for all types of media and am even starting to get sick of the internet. I thought that was impossible!

Do what feels best for you. You could try an experiment and avoid it for a week or a month and see how you feel about it.

Spiritlite
19-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Yep got it from Marciniaks book but like I said I can't go without becuase my husband is so into it I can't avoid it.
Spiritlite

Jules
19-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Just because your husband is so into it SL doens't mean you have to be. there's way's and means around it. Whilst he's watching it, you go into another room. Go to your bedroom, in the kitchen, go for a bath, whatever but to give you the time away from it. You could also suggest to your husband that you do something differrent rather than sitting in front of the tv, ie going for a walk, go bowling, go visit relatives, play games with the kids. In this day and age, tv has taken over society, just as the internet has, xbox, ps3's and all the rest of it. We're becoming conditioned to pay top whack for the best of everything when all it's doing is pushing family values further to the backburner. It's no wonder these days communication has gone out the window. The pleasure of reading a book has been taken away because you turn round and they're on the small screen. I'm using that as one example. Kids don't know how to play anymore, and people are starting to lose their sense of self, so taken in with 'soap life' and 'gossip' to name but a couple. The answer? turn the tv off, have a game of twister, play cards .. bake cakes! .. anything that involves family. Don't fall into the trap of letting 'Big Brother' conrol your life. Take it back Stand up and be counted. Love light and Laughter J x

Spiritlite
19-10-2010, 07:58 PM
TY jules you're right on
Spiritlite

in progress
19-10-2010, 08:09 PM
meditate.. :D

Verunia
19-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I think television, like anything, is bad in excess.

I also think the government controls us in far better and easier ways than just television.

But remember, self education is your best bet- the government can only lie to those who believe it.

So if you're just watching the simpsons or something, I think you're good, lol

Spiritlite
19-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys
SPiritlite

Chrysaetos
29-10-2010, 09:30 AM
I guess it depends on what you're watching.

I like watching animal and geology documentaries, and it doesn't harm me. :smile:

inspirit
29-10-2010, 10:55 AM
The refresh or flicker rate chosen for television sets was not an accident. They knew what they were doing when they selected a flicker rate that had the maximum effect of inducing people into trance. That was on the old TV sets. Think how much more advanced it is with the new ones.

Television is definitely a mind control device used by the government. Even shows like The Simpsons are loaded with propaganda messages. But the absolute worst thing on TV is the so-called news. That doesn't mean you should never watch TV. But you should do some research about how propaganda works and how television affects you so that you can know how to protect yourself.

One of the main things that they do with TV is make you upset with the stories they tell you with the hope of causing repressed anger, fear and hopelessness. This might be delivered through fiction or through news but either way it's designed to affect you.

The main thing to keep in mind while watching TV is that they will outright lie to you and give it fancy packaging making it look like it is truth. The lies are very well polished and maintained so much so that they will even hold up in court rooms if you're not careful. You just have to know better than to accept everything spoon fed to you through the tube and not let it affect you. And turn it off the moment that it does.

Yes I think it affects spirituality but so does eating junk food and harboring negativity and a lot of other things. The main thing to do is to pray and worship God. Love your neighbor. Love your enemies. Keep that going and your spirituality will be fine. Positive action is so much more powerful than negative action it is almost effortless to overcome it.

LightFilledHeart
29-10-2010, 03:51 PM
In my opinion, it is a mind-deadening medium. Research shows that the mind enters into a dulled, somulent, almost hypnotic state. No true learning or thought is taking place. It's more like a sedative, and like many "drugs", it is addictive. People who become addicted and don't get their "fix" become irritable and lash out at others. Chopra and Tolle both have stated that, unlike the shut down of the mind that is experienced in meditation (where thoughts are silenced in order that the soul might enter into direct communion with the divine), what happens when the brain is exposed to television watching is that it simply shuts down and goes into almost a sleep state... a state in which it is highly susceptible to anything planted from that source, i.e., the program being watched. It is no accident that they are referred to as "programs"...! "Programming" does indeed take place!

Just my 2 cents, kids :D

Spiritlite
29-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah thanks for the both above posts, I never like the way tv makes me feel after I watch it I literally feel icky like I want to take a shower. If I watch TV all day then I really really feel icky.
Spiritlite.

Chrysaetos
29-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Well, conspiracy theories are entertaining, but not everything on the television is of course there to somehow ''secretly'' ''programme'' you. *whistle*
Not everything is violence and gossip. :wink:

JEN
29-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I tend to agree with the majority on this thread. Constantly watching TV is a mind numbing experience, and yes (having worked in advertising) lots of subliminal messages are held within even the simplist of adverts... I am not talking "mind control" per se, but just think of what words, symbols, scenery, people, situations, etc are used to elicit your emotinal responses and the underlying message "this will make my life better/happier". And as most of the "newsworthy" stuff promotes fear and distress, I cant see how this is good for you either. I also think that even the less violent shows, often promote subliminal messages about 'family values', 'self-reliance', 'patriotic over personal priorities', etc. Of course, if you are switched on to all this stuff and watch with a discerning eye, most shows become interesting to "spot the messages" and infact, quite commical.

Personally, I literally cant watch TV.... something about the frequency/vibes. I do ok on one channel for a little while, but with a channel surfing son, I just cant handle the constant adjustments my body seems to have to make! I just begin to feel agitated and a little sick. My TV only gets used for watch DVDs.... I guess there is no frequency issues then ....(am I the only one with this problem??)

Of course, from what I observe today, kids aren't watching that much TV... they seem to be locked in their own rooms, tapping away on their computers, or playing "kill them all!" computer games...... Really dont know which is worse!

JEN

inspirit
29-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Well, conspiracy theories are entertaining, but not everything on the television is of course there to somehow ''secretly'' ''programme'' you. *whistle*
Not everything is violence and gossip. :wink:

Most stuff is though. 99% or more. Of course their messages are so powerful you will internalize them to some extent whether you watch TV or not, just by being exposed to society.

jorddy
29-10-2010, 09:46 PM
I definitely believe that Spritlite, Its not just the government though
The news channels are filled with subliminal messages (Lets face it, all media is owned by a totaly of 6 corporations) And its not just the news channels.. Its the shows that kids are brought up on (One of those corporations is Walt Disney), its the commercials that come in between each show.. ect.

LightFilledHeart
30-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah thanks for the both above posts, I never like the way tv makes me feel after I watch it I literally feel icky like I want to take a shower. If I watch TV all day then I really really feel icky.
Spiritlite.

An "energy" shower, eh? :wink: I would say pay heed to your feelings. They are better and more accurate guildance than any you could gleen from another..!

LightFilledHeart
30-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Personally, I literally cant watch TV.... something about the frequency/vibes. I do ok on one channel for a little while, but with a channel surfing son, I just cant handle the constant adjustments my body seems to have to make! I just begin to feel agitated and a little sick. My TV only gets used for watch DVDs.... I guess there is no frequency issues then ....(am I the only one with this problem??)

JEN

I too am adversely effected by T.V. and avoid watching it when possible. Like Spiritlite said, it makes me feel "icky"!

Silver
30-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Television is definitely a mind control device used by the government. Even shows like The Simpsons are loaded with propaganda messages. But the absolute worst thing on TV is the so-called news.

...Now you take that back! (simpsons my favorite show):hug:

I tend to agree with most of what you're saying.

And more so since I stopped watching tv, for the most part.
When things went digital, it was a blessing in disguise for me. I refused to be buying stuff I couldn't afford, like cable or dish because the basic little box is a joke. We get very poor reception. We didn't watch tv at all except for one spanish channel that was the only thing that came in because I refused to buy a box because we were supposed to get a coupon to help defray the cost and it never showed up and when i tried to tell them, i just got the run-around so i protested by not watching tv! My son had a harder time adjusting.

I do not miss the cow-eyed anchor on 11 she gave me the creeps! I will come home and turn it on in hopes of catching the simpsons but if not, oh well. I used to love house, and watched it last night and i like the new season where he and cutty are bf / gf. Nice. BUT I can live without tv now and often have it on but mute the sound and just have it on for background/light. I can feel a difference and the improvement is still happening in my life.

Bye-bye, you stupid tv.

norseman
30-10-2010, 04:07 PM
The government does not need Mind Control via TV while the channels show mind-rotting **** like X-Factor, Big Brother, and Soaps ! Anyway, I only watch BBC for it's advert-free programming and, of course, the living god of television, David Attenborough.

inspirit
30-10-2010, 06:58 PM
I used to like The Simpsons more than I do now. But just recently I watched the season premier and was so disappointed I decided that I can live without this show. I'm looking forward to the Halloween episodes tomorrow night though.

But the truth is Fox even admits to inserting messages into their shows. They spin it like it's a good thing but it goes to show that the writers are getting direction from the top down. The same is true with all of the major media conglomerates and ultimately they all answer to the same conspirators.

Kaere
30-10-2010, 07:08 PM
I don't have tv at my house any more - we watch movies and such but I cancelled the satellite and haven't missed it, except for some of the better documentary shows and cooking shows. But even those, it's just a passing thought.

LightFilledHeart
31-10-2010, 12:59 AM
I don't have tv at my house any more - we watch movies and such but I cancelled the satellite and haven't missed it, except for some of the better documentary shows and cooking shows. But even those, it's just a passing thought.

Very wise you are... there's more than one person living under my roof, and not all agree! Maybe some day soon I can convince them to do away with it. I saw a great bumper sticker the other day. It said, "Kill all T.V.'s!" :D

in progress
31-10-2010, 02:29 AM
we watch movies and such but I cancelled the satellite and haven't missed it
I haven't completely cut the cord. I got rid of satellite about a year and a half ago and haven't missed it at all but I started Netflix. So when I get the itch I still have "tv".

I surprised myself when I quit listening to NPR (National Public Radio). I was a junky for years but decided they're really like all the rest. I haven't missed it either.

AnnoyingPony
01-11-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't watch TV. Why would I stay up until 11 to watch my favorite anime when I can watch all my favorite shows whenever I want online for free?

Emmalevine
01-11-2010, 07:42 PM
I have a Tv but only very rarely watch it. When I do I only watch nature and science documentaries (such as The Universe). Nat Geo and Eden are really the only channels I watch. I can't stand soaps and pretty much everything contains unnecessary violence, drama and suffering. A few years ago I watched part of an episode of Casualty and I felt physcially ill, not due to any blood (didn't see any), but the negativity of it all. I felt disturbed on a very deep level. It is the same when I read particular sorts of books.

My son is autistic and doesn't watch any TV at all. If I didn't love nature and science shows so much I would be well rid!

Ladofthelight
01-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I no longer watch TV.

I have a TV just so I can put on the occasional commedic movie when 3D gets too boring for me.

Question is though...

How many supplant TV time for internet time? Regardless of frequency control, time spent in front of a computer and not with those we love could have similar effects. Not saying anything is "bad", just bring to light that the "influences" are in great abundance all around us.

Of course there is no "right way" to go about anything.

Personally, I am very uncomfortable with TV, as well as cell phones. They make me agitated and give me a headache.

Ladofthelight
01-11-2010, 08:16 PM
In progress,

I commend you for turning away from NPR!

inspirit
01-11-2010, 08:44 PM
I spend a lot of time watching Youtube. Not those awful featured videos or anything like that, just stuff I like. But I live alone.

Cellphones are known to be a health hazard. They emit high power microwave radiation that goes right into your brain when you hold them next to your ear. People shouldn't talk on cell phones.

Televisions can also emit radiation depending on your set up. If you have satellite TV, satellite dishes also emit high power radiation. You don't want to have your dish near your bedroom or living areas. TVs themselves are also known to emit radiation. But this can vary a lot depending on the type of TV.

Spiritlite
02-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Huh I didn't know that about dishes. I never use a cell phone I have a tracphone that I only use when I'm on the road and need help that's it. YOutube is great too.
xoxo
Spiritlite.

PrincessKLS
11-11-2010, 02:44 AM
I've challenged myself to spend a day or just a few hours away from my tv and/or computer. Sometimes I've been successful but I wish I could suceed better. Don't get me wrong I think I've learned a lot and made good connections from watching tv, surfing the net, etc but I have books, and magazines I could read. I recipes I could practice, I have exercises to try, etc.

Animus27
14-11-2010, 07:09 AM
Well, I am of the opinion that al----- Oh be back later, Hell's kitchen is on!

Scibat
21-11-2010, 11:37 PM
A television is just a tool, just a machine. Like most tools its harm or lack thereof comes from how its used or misused. I watch TV, but sparingly -- Mostly Discovery Networks and a few guilty pleasures here and there, but I would say I spend less than 6 hours a week in front of the tube.

The Government nor the Media controls people through TV, people who are influenced simply allow themselves to be -- There are no secret rays or subliminal messages coming from the screen; Rather its people simply choosing to be lazy and let the TV think for them instead of thinking for themselves.

Chrysaetos
21-11-2010, 11:42 PM
A television is just a tool, just a machine. Like most tools its harm or lack thereof comes from how its used or misused. I watch TV, but sparingly -- Mostly Discovery Networks and a few guilty pleasures here and there, but I would say I spend less than 6 hours a week in front of the tube.

The Government nor the Media controls people through TV, people who are influenced simply allow themselves to be -- There are no secret rays or subliminal messages coming from the screen; Rather its people simply choosing to be lazy and let the TV think for them instead of thinking for themselves.
Clear-cut, to the point, no sweat and tears..

Your post is the truth, it deserves a stamp.

Silver
22-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Clear-cut, to the point, no sweat and tears..

Your post is the truth, it deserves a stamp.

The question was does TV harm spirituality, was't it?

I'm fresh outa stamps, darn.

There is a trend that is talked about in the media about the dumbing down of America, anyway, the less well educated a people are, the more easily it is to take advantage of them, but if you don't fit that bill, hey, don't worry!

Spiritlite
22-11-2010, 04:25 AM
U know when I didn't have tv for a few years because I was in that stage of "tv is manipulative" I think I was emotionally healthier than I ever had been and more than I am now. In the sense that my self esteem was very high (I didn't have to watch ads about how skinny women were, about how if I didn't have that new cell phone I was a looser etc). I would love to not watch tv and not even have a tv in the home but because Dan loves his tv I'm really out of options. Although I don't watch tv while he's at work, and usually I read for a few hours while he watches tv, and when I do watch tv I try to watch uplifting shows such as highway to heaven or little house on the prairie I know kinda lame but those shows make you feel good not icky.
Spiritlite.

Chrysaetos
22-11-2010, 08:35 AM
The answer is: Only if you let it harm you, only if you watch those programmes that put your down. I like watching nature documentaries and sports, it doesn't harm me.There is a trend that is talked about in the media about the dumbing down of America, anyway, the less well educated a people are, the more easily it is to take advantage of them, but if you don't fit that bill, hey, don't worry!It's because your country is too religious.

Silver
22-11-2010, 10:13 AM
The answer is: Only if you let it harm you, only if you watch those programmes that put your down. I like watching nature documentaries and sports, it doesn't harm me.

Huh? put you down? What's that got to do with spirituality?

It's because your country is too religious.

Huh?

Well, at least now I know what my avatar should be>>>a monkey scratching its head and quizzical look on its face (let me be clear~from trying to figure out your answers, lol).
:D

Scibat
22-11-2010, 07:21 PM

I'm fresh outa stamps, darn.

There is a trend that is talked about in the media about the dumbing down of America, anyway, the less well educated a people are, the more easily it is to take advantage of them, but if you don't fit that bill, hey, don't worry!

My statement holds true of spirituality -- At least in my opinion. Television only causes the harm that the individual allows it to, be that emotional, mental or spiritual. I think its been stated almost as long as TV existed that "Too much television rots your brain." I would imagine the same can be said of one's spirit as well, "Too much television rots your soul."

Silver
23-11-2010, 03:04 AM
My statement holds true of spirituality -- At least in my opinion. Television only causes the harm that the individual allows it to, be that emotional, mental or spiritual. I think its been stated almost as long as TV existed that "Too much television rots your brain." I would imagine the same can be said of one's spirit as well, "Too much television rots your soul."

I haven't been able to help but notice life is a lot more complex than that.

I understand your viewpoint, though.

Scibat
23-11-2010, 05:09 AM
I haven't been able to help but notice life is a lot more complex than that.

I understand your viewpoint, though.
At least to me, it isn't that complex. I don't let what I see on the television influence or control me -- I make a conscious effort not to watch it to the point that I need it -- Thus I choose not to let it cause me harm. :smile:

yes, yes and yes.
I still maintain there are no mind control waves or subliminal messages coming through the TV -- Having studied and taken apart electronics (including TVs) I know the former is impossible and the second is highly unlikely. :cool:

Silver
23-11-2010, 05:33 AM
I still maintain there are no mind control waves or subliminal messages coming through the TV -- Having studied and taken apart electronics (including TVs) I know the former is impossible and the second is highly unlikely. :cool:

That's ok, even if there were no mind control 'waves' or subliminal messages (which I think was proven that they exist looooong ago), there is still the simple matter of simple human psychology that is used to manipulate people.

You have to be living in a cave to think no manipulation is being done.

Spiritlite
23-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Silver good answer I do beleive thoroughly manipulation is being done with TV, I mean how can ads not be manipulative for one thing?
There's a great example. And how do we know messages aren't being very quickly flickered while watching a show to brain was us?
Spiritlite.

Gem
23-11-2010, 12:33 PM
U know when I didn't have tv for a few years because I was in that stage of "tv is manipulative" I think I was emotionally healthier than I ever had been and more than I am now. In the sense that my self esteem was very high (I didn't have to watch ads about how skinny women were, about how if I didn't have that new cell phone I was a looser etc). I would love to not watch tv and not even have a tv in the home but because Dan loves his tv I'm really out of options. Although I don't watch tv while he's at work, and usually I read for a few hours while he watches tv, and when I do watch tv I try to watch uplifting shows such as highway to heaven or little house on the prairie I know kinda lame but those shows make you feel good not icky.
Spiritlite.

I wrote this thing about TV so please enjoy.

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!

There’s an idiot in the corner incanting meaningless drivel and inanely yelling moronic slogans with incessant repetition. With its glaring eye, the maniac hypnotizes all who meet its gaze and with open mouths they absorb its sublime message and succumb to its suggestion.

It never moves, but when prompted, springs to life and draws them to its eerie glow, all the while insanely ranting to drown out other sound.

They love their blabbering fool. It lights up and rambles endlessly, but when they’ve had enough it shuts up, so they love it, and are comforted by the light idiocy that distracts them from their dreary lives.

The barmy git is raised on a pedestal, and they arrange their chairs around it in anticipation of daily ritual.

It illuminates the room with truth and enlightens them, so they know what to eat and how to act. The affairs of the world are reiterated tirelessly, and they are assured of their righteousness.

With its next breath it exhales dumb ditties about sexy pizza and healthy milkshakes, before returning to solemnly imparting another world shattering veracity.

On and on and on. Over and over and over again. They know the stupid thing is ever recurring, but entranced cannot resist its lure, and under its subtle spell they gape blankly, while being reminded to fulfill its daily instruction.

They are secure and well informed. The imbecile warns them of impending peril and reassuringly allays how heroically they are defended from imposing terror. They feel scared, but protected.

What would they do without it?

Somewhere, crazed men control this dinky widget, but it’s far too daft to realize its enslavement, and with the pure innocence of the profoundly demented it faithfully recants anything they say, having complete trust.

It lies.

The populace is bewildered by the box’s benign presence and manipulated into enhancing vile powers as they are subliminally tempted into the service of evil.

Massacre, murder, bombs and burning babies.

The wound up refrains of hyperactivity, horror, and the perpetual chanting of satanic indulgence engrave lifelong foreboding, rampant consumerism and greed into people’s minds as they are reduced by fear into senseless self servitude.

Bemused and harried into frenetic bustling they unwittingly enable the malevolent malice of their elitist leaders.

The contrivance! It lies at the bidding of those most foul. Lies! Lies! Unspeakable lies!

War. Oily, greasy, bloody rotten lies!

Strong men rained fire upon the quivering and weak, and the helpless souls burned in hell, shrieking with the eternal agony of pitiful regret.

Crusaders pillaged and raped mother Earth. They burnt her blood to fuel their monstrous phantasms, and her vital organs as offerings to the forthcoming Lucifer.

The Earth choked on the gaseous effluent, and in death’s throws unleashed its wildest tempests, spewing back poison, raining acid and rancid canker upon the world.

Calamity becomes them as they watch it (again).

The whole bleep world watches it!

There’s a square eyed bleep in every home who’s totally bleep in the head as his view of the world is formed by the bilious blathering of the idiot box.

Scibat
23-11-2010, 05:01 PM
That's ok, even if there were no mind control 'waves' or subliminal messages (which I think was proven that they exist looooong ago), there is still the simple matter of simple human psychology that is used to manipulate people.

You have to be living in a cave to think no manipulation is being done.

No argument on the psychology front, everytime you see a TV commercial its a psychological attempt to manipulate you into buying their service or products. The media is the same way, trying to steer public opunion about this or that a certain way.

But once aware of manipulation, it only really succeeds if you let it.

However on the waves and subliminal messages, if they were out there and being used on the populace, there are enough conspiracy theorists, and people who look for such things I am pretty sure it would have been discovered by now.

I hope I haven't offended anyone here BTW -- I am getting this sort of adversarial vibe from some of the replies here.

Chrysaetos
23-11-2010, 05:30 PM
More good points Scibat.

The main channels I watch are National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, BBC, Discovery Channel, and Discovery World.
Pretty good programmes here and there. Their commercials are usually about their own programmes, so hardly damaging.

If we watch popular commercial channels, soap series, real life series, political debates, and stuff like that... sure I think it may have negative effect on us. But still, we are ultimately responsible for what we watch.

We can only judge the programmes, not the television as a whole.

Scibat
23-11-2010, 06:31 PM
More good points Scibat.

The main channels I watch are National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, BBC, Discovery Channel, and Discovery World.
Pretty good programmes here and there. Their commercials are usually about their own programmes, so hardly damaging.

If we watch popular commercial channels, soap series, real life series, political debates, and stuff like that... sure I think it may have negative effect on us. But still, we are ultimately responsible for what we watch.

We can only judge the programmes, not the television as a whole.

Yep! :icon_bounce: I agree 100% and I watch mostly the same stuff -- Add Science channel, History Channel and recently AMC to that list for me.

Spiritlite
23-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah I try to watch positive shows like I said earlier ones that make me happy or allow me to learn.
Spiritlite.
I avoid the news like the plague, if I feel icky after a show I usually say okay never again.

LightFilledHeart
23-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I avoid the news like the plague, if I feel icky after a show I usually say okay never again.

Very wise practice...!

Spiritlite
23-11-2010, 11:03 PM
thankyou LFH I think so too.
Spiritlite.

Scibat
24-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah I try to watch positive shows like I said earlier ones that make me happy or allow me to learn.
Spiritlite.

I despise watching the news but...

I consider the news a necessary evil for me -- I like to know what's happening in the world, but wish there was a way to find out without all the negativity/spin/manipulation of the American press. *cough* Fox News *cough*

LightFilledHeart
25-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I never watch the news.. too dark and drags my energy level down. I do find I "hear about" anything I truly need to know about, whether through word of mouth or a note from a friend. I don't have the same reaction to it when it comes in that guise as I do when I watch the news on T.V.

Scibat
26-11-2010, 12:19 AM
I never watch the news.. too dark and drags my energy level down. I do find I "hear about" anything I truly need to know about, whether through word of mouth or a note from a friend. I don't have the same reaction to it when it comes in that guise as I do when I watch the news on T.V.

I also watch the news via the Daily Show and Colbert Report -- You can get the news, and its cushioned by the comedy its wrapped up in.

Silver
26-11-2010, 12:47 AM
I think some of my coworkers think I'm crazy that I hardly watch tv or even the NEWS. I don't think they're over the shock, they look at me like whaa...

I feel very serene for missing all the claptrap and **.

Spiritlite
28-11-2010, 02:20 AM
Silver I envy you like I said if it wasn't for Dan not being able to have his TV I would be very content without ANY tv at all.
Spiritlite.

Silver
28-11-2010, 02:27 AM
Well, you have a hubby I don't. Count your blessings g/f! Maybe you just need to hug and cajole him away from it, mhm.

Spiritlite
28-11-2010, 02:49 AM
hahah yeah that's what I need to do...... :)
xoxo
Spiritlite.

Venus
01-03-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm glad you brought this up.My aunt does not have a t.v and is baptist actually a treasure too.She believes the devil lives through it.I don't share the opinion but in all my life she still holds strong to this theory.

Spiritlite
02-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Venus that's interesting, and maybe true in some ways.
Spiritlite.

rip_ding_dong_football
06-03-2011, 09:14 PM
possibly but in my house they just make me lazy like an addict. :notworthy::mblah05::disgust:

really? cuz drugs tend to have that effect on people too lol.

Spiritlite
25-04-2011, 04:43 AM
LOL Rip Ding.
Spiritlite.

norseman
25-04-2011, 01:25 PM
The answer to the problem is only watch BBC, including BBC News. :smile:

Spiritlite
25-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Yeah BBC is awesome :)
Spiritlite.

themaster
04-05-2011, 01:05 AM
Television sets...do they harm spirituatity?

The answer is yes.. spiritlite.. if you let them :smile:

MoonDancer
08-05-2011, 10:26 AM
If they do then don't computers too? :icon_eek:

Explorer
05-06-2011, 07:48 PM
If they do then don't computers too? :icon_eek:
I hardly ever put my TV on, and I've convinced myself that the net is ok because it's interactive and you (sometimes.lol) have to think.:hug3:

Ginsengi
05-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I don't necessarily think it's the gov't controlling people so much as large corporations with marketing and talk shows about how people should be.

I'm very spiritual and don't watch tv. I'm on the web a lot though. However, I'm often using it for inspiration.

Spiritlite
06-06-2011, 05:21 AM
That's a good answer Ginsengi, you can choose what you see on the web, I choose to ignore ads, but on tv its' blasted in your face.......I wish I could go to the days when I had no tv but my husband would go nuts...........
Spiritlite.

SpiritVoices
17-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Television is like the internet and many other things, even music. If you are subjective, you will pick up certain emotions and you may also be directed in certain ways, ie advertising. However, stand strong within yourself and this can also become a wonderful tool. It is a great way to keep tabs on certain agendas. It is really no different than walking down the street. You are subjecting yourself to the world, there is good, there is bad, there is ugly, but if you have your wits about you, you can learn from the walk and remain perfectly safe.

Spiritlite
17-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Interesting view point Spirit I like it.
Spiritlite.

SpiritVoices
17-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Thank you Spirit, I do try.

Spiritlite
17-06-2011, 09:12 PM
LOL Spirit well I like how you try :)
Spiritlite.

Scibat
17-06-2011, 09:53 PM
If it were up to me I'd not have a tv set in our home, but my husband enjoys tv so I have two tv sets in our home.
When I was in college and before I met my husband I didn'[t have tv and I noticed that I was not influenced by tv in that I had a high self esteem, I was more free, and I was more spiritual.
Do you think that the govt, controls us thru tv? Do you think they send subliminal messages or waves to us when we watch and so we are controlled by the govt?
What do you think
Spiritlite:dark1:
A television is a device, it is a tool. Like so many (Such as fire, computers etc.) any harm that comes from that device comes from how it is used (Or misused). There are no subliminal messages, no invisible mind control rays, or anything of the sort. Harm from watching TV is the same as it is for anything else that can be misused.

Here is an example: Let's say you like wine. Drink too much and you become drunk, stay drunk most of the time and you have a problem. The wine isn't evil, the wine isn't bad, the wine just wine, your overindulgence is the problem.

As the old adage goes, all things in moderation. I think people make up this stuff about subliminal messages so they can attach a negative effect to a benign activity which allows them to justify avoiding or condemning it as something "bad".

Spiritlite
17-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Scibat that's interesting too...I dont' know if I have an opinion about the matter really I just really enjoy reading all of your responses.
Spiritlite.

Scibat
17-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Scibat that's interesting too...I dont' know if I have an opinion about the matter really I just really enjoy reading all of your responses.
Spiritlite.

Wow, thanks Spiritlite. I always get the impression many of my posts annoy a lot of people here, (including the staff) so hearing that someone likes them is a very pleasant surprise. Thank you again! :redface:

Spiritlite
18-06-2011, 12:46 AM
LOL Scibat...I like a debate and different opinions...people have to realize it's a forum and a community where people have different opinions and that we have to learn about others' opinions I feel so we know where the other is coming from.
Spiritlite.

Scibat
18-06-2011, 03:10 AM
LOL Scibat...I like a debate and different opinions...people have to realize it's a forum and a community where people have different opinions and that we have to learn about others' opinions I feel so we know where the other is coming from.
Spiritlite.

You make an excellent point, wish there were more like you around. :wink:

Spiritlite
18-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Thanks Scibat :)
Spiritlite

Student4Life1975
31-07-2011, 11:01 AM
i dont think they harm our spirituality, as long as we ignore commercials, and mindless programming. there are many programs however, that i use for educational purposes, like documentaries, national geographic, A & E, and admittadly, the space channel (i like sci fi). but i avoid the news at all costs as i feel the doom and gloom manifest in me when i watch it. i would rather be uninformed and happy, than informed and depressed, in this case anyways.
the govt control is implemented mostly through television, and the subliminal messages that come with it. there have been many times where i suddenly crave something, and have no idea where it came from, and can only attribute it to commercials ive seen over and over again.

Left Behind
05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
I doubt that there's any conspiracy involved. I think the programming is just idiotic. :D

cMarie
01-02-2013, 05:14 AM
I have been without tv for years now, although I do watch movies and Netflix sometimes. I think it is good for me, and my kids.

Now when I think of how many hours I used to spend in front of the tube, even watching things again I had seen before I just can't see where I had the time!

When I am at my friends house, she has the tv on all day and night and I find it so exhausting I often have to take a nap!

So for me, getting rid of tv has helped me spiritually, as the time I used to spend watching it can and is now put to better use.

A peaceful mind.
01-02-2013, 06:08 AM
That depends how much TV you see :O) well some people (me inclusive) place a rose quarts near the tv duo to the magnetic interference that comes from the tv... but i rather like to be in control and adjust my use of it that´n getting rid of it..
there is a balance in life that we try to find and balanced for me is not getting rid of the learning situation.. but we all have our ways and I respect yours..

Be at peace be full of love, life is wonderful

With peaceful and love from me to you

Yours

A Peaceful Mind

sesheta
01-02-2013, 07:16 AM
I would agree that TV only affects you as much as you allow it to...

I watch some TV, of course- never the news, but I love watching Animal Planet/National Geographic. There are some excellent documentaries/programs on the History, or Discovery channels.... I watch shows about paranormal investigation...I can't resist watching re-runs of the original Star Trek series...and other than that....my only other real addictions are Storage Wars, and The Walking Dead (yes, my boyfriend turned me into a zombie fan, lolol!)
That, and I will catch Dr. Phil when I can - I love Dr. Phil!!

So it does really depend on what you watch, and how many hours you spend sitting in front of it, not moving. Many times, while I'm watching TV, I'm also on my step machine, doing push-ups, etc...so I'm getting exercise at the same time :smile:

mark payne
01-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Frank muir (google him) once said,
"With the radio you could do your ironing, and listen to the radio, with television, you have to sit and watch it."

Tobi
02-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Watching tv too much can waste your time, put you into an alpha-wave semi-trance, where you are open to suggestion, (advertisers KNOW that!) and get you stuck into a hardly-here and never-there kind of state, where you ignore reality, and get really numbed-up. REAL reality..such as sharing love and attention with your family, what it smells like on a country walk on a summer's evening, what it feels like to share a bottle of wine and some good food, and conversation with friends....talking to your mum on the phone....connecting soul silently with your pet...etc
Mind you, internet forums do that too, so do you tube videos, so do books!
I guess it's nice to have some numb down-time sometimes though. And the good thing about tv for hyper active people is it keeps us sitting still for a while so we can have a rest!:D

DoctorStrange
03-03-2013, 05:11 PM
I actually think watching tv is the perfect way to relax, and do nothing. With life being so rushed, and watching tv is a good way to wind down.

jenriggs
18-06-2013, 12:23 AM
It ha been proven tht the government manipulates us through tv. It also puts us in a hypnotic state. Go on you tube and look up subliminal message, tv or advertizing. It sure shoked the heck out of me with how they are trying to control us through sublimials, flashes of words only our subconsciounce picks up and all of the celebrities that make us feel that we are not as beautiful.

jenriggs
18-06-2013, 12:26 AM
The news is the worse. They put fear into us so we dont question authority regarding wars.

Darren_Nexus
12-07-2013, 08:08 PM
TV does not harm spirituality at all if there is a show that a religious person does not like then dont watch it simple as that. But in the case of EVP spiritual energy is electrical in a way similar to our brainwaves.

charly233
12-07-2013, 08:22 PM
I haven't watched TV for over two years now. I used to be a bit of a telly addict and feel much better now. For me I would say that watching TV is a form of spiritual alienation.

But since everything is God then this shouldn't really be the case. Since everything is God then even the TV is God and no harm can come to you from watching it.

This sounds good in theory. But by this reasoning then alcohol and heroin etc would be okay too.

Maybe in order for me to watch TV safely I would need to be so enlightened that I would never even consider wasting my time watching it.

I guess it all depends on the individual.

Belle
13-07-2013, 07:16 PM
I watch it for time out, relaxation, entertainment -

For sure it does zombify me and particularly some of the telly I watch is inane but it is lovely to be able to relax as such.

dragonflywings
14-07-2013, 06:06 AM
I only watch tv shows that I download now. I watch the news and get scared about things that may never affect me. I watch ads and want things I would never need. There's reality shows that are anything but real showing people I have no interest in knowing about. Tv can be limiting to what will sell ads for the network. I prefer to seek out what I enjoy and I am much happier not watching television stations. A few television shows actually began my path to awakening. Just as with everything in life-keep the balance.

n2mec
21-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Guess, you could find evil in anything kind of social media, but when do we rise above our own harm. Pain comes in may ways/fashions, physical, mental, emotion. TV is no more harmful than a kitchen knife, that's if you know how to use it.

For me, a boat anchor it works great.

Clarebear80
30-01-2014, 02:16 AM
I gotta say I don't think they do considering I lost my connection to my guide following illness only to discover whilst watching a property program on my sky plus box my guide spoke my name to get my attention twice. I have it saved to my box now as evidence of the amazing ways in which spirits find to connect

Spirit Seeker
01-02-2014, 12:45 PM
About a year ago I was watching TV one morning. It was a rerun of one of SyFy's Paranormal Witness episodes that I had taped to DVR.

Our remote control has a feature that lets you skip 10 second blocks when you press a button, perfect for skipping through commericals. As the show was coming up on a break, they showed (dramatization) items being moved in a house to scare the mom while her kids were sleeping, then went to commecials.

Just as I start to flip through the commecials, I was thinking to myself how can something move items like that. Just a second later as I am skipping through the taping, I hear the TV say, "They....are.....not......human.". WTH?????

When you are skipping through the commericals, every skip brings you out in play mode, so you are hearing the words from the TV. So I thought that maybe it was just the sequence of me skipping through the commecials that I caught 4 words by coincidence that sounded like the TV was answering my thought question.

Except when I tried several times to recreate what happened, I could not. I even watched the commericals through to see if the word human was said and it wasn't, but I clearly heard it.

Was it a spirit guide or guardian angel using the TV to answer my question? Was there a spirit/ghost there with me who read my mind to answer me? I have no idea to this day. Freaky, but since I became a paranormal investigator, nothing surprises me anymore. :smile:

primrose
06-02-2014, 09:19 AM
That is strange Spirit Seeker, I hav'nt read all the posts, so don't know if it's already been mentioned, I got an e-mail that states that all tv sets made after 1995 have a built in (I forget what it was called) but it can see us while we are watching it.I think of that whenever my tv is on.

Lilyth Von Gore
09-02-2014, 09:51 PM
No harm ever came to me from watching tv. I've never once felt influenced by tv. My spirituality hasn't been affected at all.

MrKappa
16-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Yes, I believe TV desensitizes us if we allow the television to absorb the majority of our experiences.