PDA

View Full Version : Wicca and Feng Shui

November Decay
19-10-2010, 03:12 AM
I was thinking about coordinating my room in accordance with Feng Shui, but at the same time satisfying my Wiccan needs. The two kind of clashed though...Anybody have any thoughts? Maybe a way I could make this work?

White Wolf
19-10-2010, 04:18 AM
I know a little about Feng Shui. Can you explain how / why it clashes with your Wiccan needs, please? Perhaps with more info, it would be easier to suggest a solution.

White Wolf

November Decay
19-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Well, for one thing, feng shui requires that the room is placed a certain way, and in a certain order, so that all of the elements flow together. But the circle of feng shui-nian elements are pretty much the exact opposite of the wiccan-elements on the five-pointed star, which would be the ideal way to format a room.

Does that make sense? o0

Adrienne
19-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Interesting topic, I guess one has to make a choice, which way they prefer ?

Dream Angel xx

LightFilledHeart
19-10-2010, 02:16 PM
I was thinking about coordinating my room in accordance with Feng Shui, but at the same time satisfying my Wiccan needs. The two kind of clashed though...Anybody have any thoughts? Maybe a way I could make this work?

Hi Decay :smile:

I'm no Feng Shui expert, but I have a friend who practices it professionally, and she is of the opinion that it works well for Asian cultures and structures because they are not set up in the same way modern American homes and buildings are. But she says rather than turn your whole space upside down (sometimes in what are very inconvenient and unworkable ways!) trying to conform to strict Feng Shui standards, one can instead employ "cures" that allow you to leave it as it is while simultaneously mitigating the disruptive flow of energy by adding small items (a mirror, a hanging crystal, an indoor fountain, even certain colors!) to your existing space. Perhaps that might solve your problem:smile: You might try looking for books on the subject that address such things, i.e., the "cures" she referenced :hug:

Lostgirl
19-10-2010, 04:14 PM
There is a book by Scott Cunningham that is basically how to lay out your house, the meanings of things such as reeths at xmas times, what to move into your house first etc etc. Its worth chekcing out. I cant remember what its called, but i shall find it and pm you :D

Love and Blessings :) x

November Decay
19-10-2010, 08:25 PM
There is a book by Scott Cunningham that is basically how to lay out your house, the meanings of things such as reeths at xmas times, what to move into your house first etc etc. Its worth chekcing out. I cant remember what its called, but i shall find it and pm you :D

Love and Blessings :) x
Scott Cunningham is one of the best Wicca authors ever, I swear. I've read other stuff by him, and I absolutely love it. You gotta remember that title!

...one can instead employ "cures" that allow you to leave it as it is while simultaneously mitigating the disruptive flow of energy by adding small items (a mirror, a hanging crystal, an indoor fountain, even certain colors!) to your existing space. Perhaps that might solve your problem:smile: You might try looking for books on the subject that address such things, i.e., the "cures" she referenced :hug:

I've begun adding mirrors to the place; it opened it up quite a bit. And I've read some good books from the library on it, took notes and everything! :D But maybe I could work both in, thanks! ^_^

Interesting topic, I guess one has to make a choice, which way they prefer ?

I think I would definitely choose Wicca over Feng Shui; I've practiced Wicca longer :)

Enya
19-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Don't worry about the feng shui... set your rooms out instinctively and you'll probably find they fit the basic principles anyway! That happened for me...:wink:

LightFilledHeart
19-10-2010, 10:14 PM
:D Don't worry about the feng shui... set your rooms out instinctively and you'll probably find they fit the basic principles anyway! That happened for me...:wink:

Yes, Enya.. I found that to be the case too! I asked my friend to come over and give me her thoughts, and she did offer some small corrections/cures that were easy to impliment, but by and large she found my dwelling to have a good energy flow, Feng Shui-illy speaking! And it was all done by instinct and by what felt good to me :D

White Wolf
20-10-2010, 06:09 AM
Well, for one thing, feng shui requires that the room is placed a certain way, and in a certain order, so that all of the elements flow together. But the circle of feng shui-nian elements are pretty much the exact opposite of the wiccan-elements on the five-pointed star, which would be the ideal way to format a room.

Does that make sense? o0

Yes, it makes sense. And you learn something every day, don't you?

Blessed be. :D

White Wolf

Lostgirl
20-10-2010, 11:19 AM
The Scott Cunningham book is called the Magical Household....I have misplaced my copy :( Its co written with David Harrington. :) Hope that helps.

November Decay
20-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Don't worry about the feng shui... set your rooms out instinctively and you'll probably find they fit the basic principles anyway! That happened for me...:wink:

Sounds good, thanks for the advice! I think my room has some really good flow, now that my uncles helped me redecorate and all. My house needs some work though ;) We just bought a new place and are beginning to restore it, so I expect it to take a while ^^;

@Lostgirl - Thanks, I will definitely look into that! :D

@White Wolf - That's what we're all here for :)

Animus27
26-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Feng Shui is a geomancy practice based on a amalgamation of various Chinese traditions. It uses placement of objects to mimic the harmony of heaven so that the universal flow of Qi is beneficial for the area and it's not blocked.

Wicca is a religion based off old pagan practices and ceremonial magick.

So the two can be very different in what they consider 'harmony".

Do as much research as you can, so you can find a nice balance between them. But you might find that they can be counter-active to each other. If you want to take the traditionalist stance on Feng Shui.

Just read read read and talk to people who use it. You should find the right mixture that satisfies your spiritual needs.

November Decay
27-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Yeah, that was my whole problem, that they clashed so much and all. I've been trying to do research on the two, but it's difficult. So, for now, I'm kinda going with my instincts on this one :)

Animus27
27-10-2010, 03:45 AM
Yeah, that was my whole problem, that they clashed so much and all. I've been trying to do research on the two, but it's difficult. So, for now, I'm kinda going with my instincts on this one :)
Good. The big thing is making a system that means something to YOU. It takes a lot of work to weave together something you like and has meaning, but it's very satisfying.

Good luck!