PDA

View Full Version : Can burning white sage make you sick?

hereshopin
18-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Hello, I'm new here. I thought about making an introduction but wouldn't know how to condense why I'm here enough to make it readable. It might be best (for you guys) for me to introduce myself in small doses, :wink:. I'm not yet sure if this is where I should post this question so forgive me if it belongs somewhere else.

I had recently learned that burning white sage can "cleanse" a person or area from negativity and/or evil energy or spirits. I was brought up to repress the idea that there are these "presences" around me or that a ritual like this would ever be even necessary--- although I don't know why since the Bible is very open about the existence. (Ephesians 6:12--For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.)

Perhaps I am more sensitive to this presence than most believers but I can no longer repress them away. After reading about the white sage burning, I found some at my local alternative store and walked through the apartment burning it. There was more smoke than I had imagined it would produce--enough for me to worry about setting off the smoke alarm---but it did die down over time and eventually went out all together.

Because it was a chilly day, I didn't have a single window cracked and it did smell a little smoky in there for awhile but seemed to dissipate gradually, leaving a nice faint scent. But the events of that evening and this morning are causing me to wonder if something about my procedure was risky.

I had company in the afternoon to watch the football game. By the end of the evening we were all extremely tired and had trouble concentrating. We wondered about what me might have ate or if we were all coming down with something, etc. (by that time I had completely forgotten about the sage.) We talked a little this morning and the others had started feeling better by then but I was still very sleepy and my thinking was complete fog. It finally occurred to me that I had burned the sage without ventilation yesterday so I quickly opened the windows. Within minutes it seemed that I was feeling better, although I am not feeling anywhere close to "normal" yet.

Could the little bit of smoke from that one little white sage stick have created a problem with air quality or could there have been a reaction of a less physical sort taking place? Or perhaps, it had nothing to do with the sage burning at all. I don't know as I had never burned it before and admit that I didn't read that much about it before I did.

Does anyone have any experience with white sage burning that can help me out? Thanks in advance.

Mountain-Goat
19-10-2010, 03:13 AM
We are currently cleansing this house with white sage.
Did a session on the weekend and will be doing another soon.
And I'm burning sage incense everyday in my room.

Yep, the lack of ventilation can cause adverse physical reactions.
All smoke will do this.
Even though sage is brilliant for cleansing, you have to remember your physical self.
And it could be that you and sage, metabolically, simply don't get along well.
If I burn incense in my room with the door and window closed, it will hurt my eyes..it is smoke, yeah?

Also, the first time I did sage, a few years ago, I sort of tripped out, mild vision thingy.
Just a slight perception shift into the other realm type thing.

Let you body recover, learn more about it if you intend doing it again.

Spiritlite
19-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't know I've never had that experience. by the way I read somewhere that the smokier the sage becomes the more negative energy is being let go of, also open a window a little when you do sage to let the negative energy leave through that window.
Spiritlite