PDA

View Full Version : Tarot - playing with fire or is it harmless??

kattykamille
07-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Hello everyone!!

I have been intrigued by Tarot cards ever since I was a little girl. I remember seeing a deck at an old garage sale.. and really wanting it. My mother at the time made a comment saying, "Ohh honey those are bad!! are you sure you want them?" I begged her and said said, "Oh you're so young I'm sure it's nothing to worry about".

I started using them, I was in grade school at the time probably seventh grade. I didn readings on friends and even though I was new and barely knew the ropes... to my surprise I had never let anyone down with a reading. They were all so vivid and surprisingly accurate.

One day at a boring cottage trip I did a reading on myself. It said someone I loved dearly, who was close to me would get very sick.

My mother passed away 5 years later from cancer.

I didn't touch the cards since.

Recently I have an urge to try again, I'm 21 now. I have had serious spiritual awakening. Began to astral project completely by accident. I later had to research it to find out what was happening to me. Im so drawn to crystals and anything metaphysical.

I need some opinions :)

It's difficult because I was raised in a strict Catholic house hold... and I knew in my families eyes this would be completely out of hand. Thankfully my brother is intrigued by my astral experiences. I'm just trying to really learn more about myself... and figure out what these intuitive thoughts all mean. Why my life is taking this sudden turn.

Any feedback would be lovely! :smile:

psychoslice
07-03-2013, 09:28 PM
There just cards, they of the self can do nothing, its what you believe about the cards that makes whatever comes your way, you are the interpreter, you are the believer.

kattykamille
08-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Thank you, that's an opinion I was hoping to hear!
Theres so many bad things sad about tarot cards...
I do get a strange energy from them. I can't put my finger on it. I suppose it's just something unfamiliar.
But I guess you can say it's like art. You see it in your own way.

cMarie
08-03-2013, 08:06 AM
I think Tarot cards are okay, but if you don't feel right about them you should leave them alone. They are a tool, and the power in them is the power you give them. That's my opinion anyhow, for what it is worth!

But you can divine in many other ways, even using your read of signs in nature or your own intuition. Trust yourself, and do what is right for you. You can always pick them up when it feels right to you!

Many people have beliefs about Tarot cards and there is nothing you can usually do to change that, so follow your own heart. You'll know inside if the tarot is a tool for you or not, trust your knowing.

You're life is an adventure, your curiosity and yearning are good things! :)

charly233
08-03-2013, 07:00 PM
I used to do Tarot readings. But I found that many people wanted fortune telling rather than spiritual readings. I wasn't any good at fortune telling and making specific predictions etc. I also found some people were coming for Tarot readings when they just needed a friend or someone to talk to. I eventually stopped using the cards and started relying upon my direct intuition when dealing with people. I also stopped doing readings and nowadays I just say what I feel like saying in ordinary everyday conversations without setting up a special "reading" space. But I am still attracted to the cards and like the pretty patterns. You never know, I may start using them again some day. It all depends on how I am guided by my intuition, by my spiritual allies (including Jesus) and by my my connection to infinite intelligence.

kattykamille
09-03-2013, 01:55 AM
I used to do Tarot readings. But I found that many people wanted fortune telling rather than spiritual readings. I wasn't any good at fortune telling and making specific predictions etc. I also found some people were coming for Tarot readings when they just needed a friend or someone to talk to. I eventually stopped using the cards and started relying upon my direct intuition when dealing with people. I also stopped doing readings and nowadays I just say what I feel like saying in ordinary everyday conversations without setting up a special "reading" space. But I am still attracted to the cards and like the pretty patterns. You never know, I may start using them again some day. It all depends on how I am guided by my intuition, by my spiritual allies (including Jesus) and by my my connection to infinite intelligence.

I really like how you put that! It's true... I do feel that when I do readings. To be honest sometimes I simply prefer to do card readings to myself. See where I am. And how I feel about what comes up. Or if I do a reading for others I dont go into too much detail with the cards but use them more as reference points to guide my own intuition.

I also really like how mentioned above.. the cards are what you make them! That they are in fact a tool and the kind of energy that you want to project is that energy that you will receive. :smile:

Niebla0007
09-03-2013, 07:46 AM
I haven't found any Tarot cards I came across with harmful.
Be they out of the traditional ones I have,
or the ones read for me which I enjoy better.
That really depends on how you use them.
Of course, when you start talking about using them in black Magic/Arts,
:icon_eek: you'll likely get burned with the fire you are playing with.
If you intend to use them for personal spiritual enrichment and divinity,
Why worry about it?
Note of the purpose of imbuing your tarot deck?
How you keep it clear of negative energy?

LadyTerra
09-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Hello everyone!!

I have been intrigued by Tarot cards ever since I was a little girl. I remember seeing a deck at an old garage sale.. and really wanting it. My mother at the time made a comment saying, "Ohh honey those are bad!! are you sure you want them?" I begged her and said said, "Oh you're so young I'm sure it's nothing to worry about".

I started using them, I was in grade school at the time probably seventh grade. I didn readings on friends and even though I was new and barely knew the ropes... to my surprise I had never let anyone down with a reading. They were all so vivid and surprisingly accurate.

One day at a boring cottage trip I did a reading on myself. It said someone I loved dearly, who was close to me would get very sick.

My mother passed away 5 years later from cancer.

I didn't touch the cards since.

Recently I have an urge to try again, I'm 21 now. I have had serious spiritual awakening. Began to astral project completely by accident. I later had to research it to find out what was happening to me. Im so drawn to crystals and anything metaphysical.

I need some opinions :)

It's difficult because I was raised in a strict Catholic house hold... and I knew in my families eyes this would be completely out of hand. Thankfully my brother is intrigued by my astral experiences. I'm just trying to really learn more about myself... and figure out what these intuitive thoughts all mean. Why my life is taking this sudden turn.

Any feedback would be lovely! :smile:

I predicted my Beloved's death (as well) and he died of liver cancer (2) years later.

You did not cause your Mother's death (Sweetie) and Death is not the enemy--it is a natural part of the process and it was just their time to go.

They had learned all they came here to learn.

You have a very special Gift--please do not be afraid to use it.:hug:

Peace and Love on your path to Discovering the Mysteries.

Blessed be...

kattykamille
09-03-2013, 03:45 PM
I predicted my Beloved's death (as well) and he died of liver cancer (2) years later.

You did not cause your Mother's death (Sweetie) and Death is not the enemy--it is a natural part of the process and it was just their time to go.

They had learned all they came here to learn.

You have a very special Gift--please do not be afraid to use it.:hug:

Peace and Love on your path to Discovering the Mysteries.

Blessed be...

Thank you for the kind words :)

No worries... I understand that her death was not my fault.
For the longest time I did however... when I was around 14. I thought the cards were black magic and her getting sick was a punishment for me using them. But that was back in the day where I was bounded by the fears of my religion. I feel that opening my heart up to new ways of thinking - which lead to my awakening... I think it's that brave move that gives you the rewards of spiritual and mental freedom :)

I understand now that her spirit is in a good place. I'm not longer even afraid of death but I hope I can live a life that is fulfilling enough to remember at the end of the road. And just like you mentioned! I guess she did everything she was sent here to do.... and I truly believe she did. She was an amazing mother.. accomplished everything there is to accomplished with raising my brother and I.

It's a mysterious and rewarding road. But I don't regret a single moment. I have one deck that I love! It's so positive. But when the time is right and I feel the right energy is back, I think I will treat myself to a new one! :D

LadyTerra
09-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Thank you for the kind words :)

No worries... I understand that her death was not my fault.
For the longest time I did however... when I was around 14. I thought the cards were black magic and her getting sick was a punishment for me using them. But that was back in the day where I was bounded by the fears of my religion. I feel that opening my heart up to new ways of thinking - which lead to my awakening... I think it's that brave move that gives you the rewards of spiritual and mental freedom :)

I understand now that her spirit is in a good place. I'm not longer even afraid of death but I hope I can live a life that is fulfilling enough to remember at the end of the road. And just like you mentioned! I guess she did everything she was sent here to do.... and I truly believe she did. She was an amazing mother.. accomplished everything there is to accomplished with raising my brother and I.

It's a mysterious and rewarding road. But I don't regret a single moment. I have one deck that I love! It's so positive. But when the time is right and I feel the right energy is back, I think I will treat myself to a new one! :D

I think that is a wonderful idea!:wink:

I have many Decks--The Dragon Tarot is my favorite.

You are very Blessed and Gifted to be able to spend time with your Mother and do things together on the Astral Plane.

Peace and Love on your journey to visit LovedOnes on the AstralPlane...

Blessed be...

tealily
10-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Tarot? Not a bad idea.

Feeling like you have strong psychic abilities + Tarot + not having serious training in psychic cleansing and centring? Bad idea.

I often enjoy reading Tarot, but like all things in life using it has it's good and bad. Its great when you read for someone else and it goes well - it's bad when you get a reading you don't like or aren't willing to accept, and then you can re-read over and over again and get yourself into a little black hole of anxiety. Maybe it's like relationships - you learn to accept the good and the bad, and only when you are ready to accept the bad are you ready for it in your life :)

And as ever, cleansing and centring is important. I say this largely for my own benefit :/

tealily
10-03-2013, 10:43 PM
(still musing on this)

But ultimately, what I love about Tarot is the guidance and support (spiritual guidance and support?) that it offers. Yes, it's exactly like hand-holding and talking to someone sometimes. But the reassurance of being in a black hole and knowing that there's a light somewhere out there, and having an idea of where/when can do a lot to make people feel better. I know that's why I enjoy being 'read' :) And I hope that's what I offer every time I read for someone else as well. :)

jimmyz98
30-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Belief and/or superstition are more dangerous to you than any force of nature because the enemy is already inside your walls.

Fear is one of many roadblocks on the road to awesomeness.

The reason I avoid the Tarot or anything of the like is because the path ahead of me is clear.

At this point, to me, picking up a deck of Tarot cards is for entertainment purposes only.

If I choose to make any 'serious' inquiries into the future, that choice is a failure of understanding on my part and an abandonment of faith.

... and when I say 'faith', I mean walking off into the darkness, never knowing if my next step will hit solid ground, yet 'sensing' it will, and breathing easy.

jimmyz98
30-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Without strength, these things can lead some into a whirlwind of fear and desire... all because of a distraction from what is really important at the particular moment in time when such questions are posed.

Jenny Crow
15-05-2013, 04:27 AM
Jimmy, I certainly agree with you that fear is one of many roadblocks on the road to awesomeness.

I have found that Tarot can be a great tool for helping one make decisions as much as making inquiries into the future and choosing to use them in that capacity can help prevent a failure of understanding because it's our Higher Self that guides our shuffling and laying out of the cards.

Jenny Crow

norseman
15-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Tarot cards are doorways to our own subconscious which allow us access to what our ancestors valued far more than we do - the "soft" psychologies of intuition and empathy.

Choosing cards ? - I use my pendulum to do that.

missrachel300
16-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Tarot cards are doorways to our own subconscious which allow us access to what our ancestors valued far more than we do - the "soft" psychologies of intuition and empathy.

Ooo, I really like that explanation!

:)

Ginger_Girl
03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
I am responding to your initial post only as I have not read further in the thread.

Tarot cards have no power of their own. The power comes only from the person using them, the Higher Self. Furthermore, the images on the cards work on the subconscious. We cannot take their names or the meaning given in a book/website to be absolute. The answer is inside of us and should be based on the feeling that the card gives us. So, obviously, it is not the cards themselves that are speaking to us, but our Higher Self, our subconscious or whatever you want to call it.

I can understand that being Catholic, you might have reservations about divining. The bible does have references to divination where people are instructed not to divine, but there are also cases where holy people do use divination. I'm sorry I do not have the passages at hand, but you can do a quick google search for bible quotes on divination. However, if you have reservations about doing something DON'T DO IT. It doesn't matter how harmless a thing might be, if you feel you shouldn't do it, there is a reason. LISTEN TO YOUR SELF FIRST.

Five years is a long time between having a tarot reading that says a loved one will fall ill and losing your mother, unless there is more you haven't shared. It is possible that you misinterpreted the cards to begin with or projected what happened onto the reading. Furthermore, the cards did not CAUSE your mother to die - I am very sorry, by the way; no matter what our age it is hard to lose our mother. The cards are a way of communicating with our Higher Self.

My personal belief is that we come to earth for a specific reason. That reason is different for each of us, but it is always intended to be a learning process. We know what our purpose is before we come to Earth, but when we incarnate, all of this knowledge -of what we are meant to accomplish, of other lifetimes be there any - is lost to our conscious self. By using divination tools, we can access little bits of this knowledge as we need to, to help us through and to guide us to the next step on our journey. Some of us are better at it than others. If you are very good at tapping into this knowledge, it can be frightening. If you find you are too afraid, just simple DON'T DO IT.

Best wishes to you and good luck.

lenvdb64
16-07-2013, 03:18 PM
The Tarot is a safe way to develop Divination skills, but it can also be used as part of your journey to understand the Self, the Soul, the Divine within.

I started with the Rider-Waite deck, and have had excellent results with it from the start.

Remember, the Tarot does not predict your future, its indicates a possible future for the path you are on.

starling
09-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Without strength, these things can lead some into a whirlwind of fear and desire... all because of a distraction from what is really important at the particular moment in time when such questions are posed.

Good post.

It's like the stars pubished in the glossy weeklys.

They are not always done responsibly (IMO) and can give rise to a) unwarrented fears about things that you would otherwise cope with perfectly well b) unrealistic hopes (often not fulfilled).

Those were not my words origionally, by the way, but I think very true.

As in the post above, treat as enterntainment only.

You read about someone falling ill and then your mother became unwell; people do I'm afraid.

Neville
09-08-2013, 09:43 PM
A thing is evil if YOU think it to be evil... in my experience.

Teal
09-08-2013, 09:43 PM
I am a strong believer in finding your own path, whether you use an aid in your readings or not. I have collected many decks. It is rare that I use them at all(I am just that good lol.) No seriously though There is more to "reading" or "memorizing"the cards and the definitions of each. Also, There were many prophets through out history. Who predicted things to come on the path a head.

Go by your instinct, your style.Find your voice.

LadyTerra
10-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Tarot is merely a Tool to help one bridge the gap and tune-in on the message that is coming through.

Anything can be used as a Tool of Divination and some have a direct link--but on the days when reception is bad--knowing how to use those Tools can help to re-establish contact and bring the message home.

I can use the Wind to Divine--is the Wind evil?

I can use the Clouds to Divine--are they evil?

Animals bring me messages all the time--are Animals evil?

These are just a few examples that I hope will serve to offer a different perspective.

Peace and Love on your path to doing your own research and forming your own opinions...

Blessed be...