PDA

View Full Version : questions about hinduism

midnightrose
02-03-2013, 11:29 PM
hello...im just gonna try to make this as short as possible >.<!!!

my husband recently introduced me to ganesha, he bought a few statues (only because he likes the way he looks tho) i on the other hand researched immediately and i liked what he represented etc. i decided i would like to give hinduism a try since it has similar life values as i do. that being said!!!here are my questions:

where do i start?
what do i have to do?
what do i need to worship the gods?
do i really have to use the same chants and prayers as indians do, or could i just simply talk to the gods ?
where can i get translations in english of the prayers?
Where can i find prayers??
is it okay to worship only a few gods or do i need to worship them all?
is it bad if i dont have any access to festivals and temples, would it be okay for me to only worship in my own home?
does size of statue matter?
do i really need to give ganesha food? what if i dont?
what instruments to i need at a ritual?
will the gods forgive me for my past sins? how do i know they will?
could i pray for someone elses well being?
am i required to dress a certain way?
am i required to speak a certain way?
will the gods help me to get rid of all my anxiety and negative feelings/thougts?
do i need special items in my house? where can i find them?

please please help!

heartsmart
03-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Well when I got into hinduism I just started doing the mantras and went from there. They are not that hard to pronounce once you get into them and also its quite fun after a while. If you want I'll teach you how to pronounce, it's easy peasy. Also you can find videos on youtube. But the main concept of hindu prayer is the sound I guess, so you could basically find for example the ganesh mantra in youtube and play it off and it would still effect you because you are receiving that vibration.

You can do mantras on behalf of other people. In fact when you do mantras, everybody you know is gonna be affected and you'll find they'll be drawn to you. It's like they can't get enough of you when you do this. Even if they are unaware of what you are doing, they will be attracted to you.

I think alot of the ritualistic stuff you don't have to do, like why would a god care how you dress and why would they need food? I think its enough with sound uttering personally, but I guess if you wanna do the ritualistic stuff its more to enhance your own experience in relation to the god right? But I dont think it matters.

You don't need any special items for general hinduism, sound is nr 1 hehe.

I think there are some mantras to remove anxiety etc if you want I can try finding some, generally I feel the shiva mantra (om namah shivaya) is good for bravery because its a forceful, general mantra.

midnightrose
04-03-2013, 12:13 AM
thank you for your answer, i tried to do a morning mantra today but i did it after working out whenever i should have done it right after waking up! oh well tomorrow ill do it the right way hopefully!
i have checked youtube and i found a few chants i will definitely listen to them more often in the day so i know them quicker.

midnightrose
04-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Well when I got into hinduism I just started doing the mantras and went from there. They are not that hard to pronounce once you get into them and also its quite fun after a while. If you want I'll teach you how to pronounce, it's easy peasy. Also you can find videos on youtube. But the main concept of hindu prayer is the sound I guess, so you could basically find for example the ganesh mantra in youtube and play it off and it would still effect you because you are receiving that vibration.

You can do mantras on behalf of other people. In fact when you do mantras, everybody you know is gonna be affected and you'll find they'll be drawn to you. It's like they can't get enough of you when you do this. Even if they are unaware of what you are doing, they will be attracted to you.

I think alot of the ritualistic stuff you don't have to do, like why would a god care how you dress and why would they need food? I think its enough with sound uttering personally, but I guess if you wanna do the ritualistic stuff its more to enhance your own experience in relation to the god right? But I dont think it matters.

You don't need any special items for general hinduism, sound is nr 1 hehe.

I think there are some mantras to remove anxiety etc if you want I can try finding some, generally I feel the shiva mantra (om namah shivaya) is good for bravery because its a forceful, general mantra.

also do you know if i could still practise my tarot card readings and oraqles? or is that a tabu in hinduism??

heartsmart
04-03-2013, 06:54 AM
also do you know if i could still practise my tarot card readings and oraqles? or is that a tabu in hinduism??

Nah, doesn't matter. I used to incorporate alot of strange stuff into hinduism and it didn't altar my results. Because they were true to me :smile:

axiomheroine
11-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Hari Om Midnightrose.

To practice Hinduism, you should spend some time in holy cities of Hindus. You'll know a lot. Everything you asked in your questions wouldnt even matter.

Vinayaka
13-03-2013, 05:19 PM

my husband recently introduced me to ganesha, he bought a few statues (only because he likes the way he looks tho) i on the other hand researched immediately and i liked what he represented etc. i decided i would like to give hinduism a try since it has similar life values as i do. that being said!!!here are my questions:

where do i start?
what do i have to do?
do i really have to use the same chants and prayers as indians do, or could i just simply talk to the gods ?
is it bad if i dont have any access to festivals and temples, would it be okay for me to only worship in my own home?
will the gods help me to get rid of all my anxiety and negative feelings/thougts?

please please help!

Vannakkam: There are a lot of questions, but others have asked before. I'll give you my personal answers, but as indicated elsewhere, Hindus will answer in a multitude of ways, as we're a vast convoluted lot under one umbrella. I;ve kind of numbered them rather than reprint them all.

1. Ganesha is a great place to start as He is often considered the gatekeeper to Hinduism. Mystically, He sits on the muladhara chakra at the base of the spine.
2. You don't really have to 'do' anything.
3. You don't really 'need' anything except a mind and a will. But something like a picture or a small murthy (statue ... murthy means' imbibed with energy') would be a great start.
4. You can use any language, but yes Sanskrit is the liturgical language. It has a certain sound tried and tested over thousands of years. Very difficult to learn to 'think' in Sanskrit. But some language usually works its way into yo0u over time.
5. You can browse the internet. Many texts have been translated.
6. On-line, but you can think your own too. Ganesha understands all languages. A good resource is Himalayan Academy. They have a basic puja (rite of worship) outlined there.
7. Some sects, Smartism in particular worship all Gods. Others focus on one or two. The simplest, obviously is one.
8. Yes you can set up a home shrine. Temples are more common that you think. You may have one near you and not know it. Try using google maps and the Search Nearby functions. (I've been to about 40 North American temples over the years ... a habit I developed while travelling.)
9. Size does matter .. large enough to be able to focus on, yet small enough so the vibration doesn't take over the whole place.
10. You don't need to give Ganesha food. The mystical reason is that we believe shrines and temples are where doors between the worlds are more open, so to speak. So by offering the food, Gods and devas can smell it, and eat its astral equivalent. The whole purpose of puja is to beckon the deity's presence. So something small like a sliced orange will add to that intention.
11. Instruments ... not sure what you mean. You can buy puja kits on-line. Basic requirement might be a spoon, an oil lamp, a water cup. Usually things get added over time.
12. We don't really believe in sis per se, but 'stupid actions' yes. Hindus often do penance for those ... fasting, extra prayer. Our Gods are very forgiving, especially if you didn't know better at the time.
13. Yes, we often pray for other's well being.
14. There is no need to dress a certain way. However, Hindu dress can be incredibly comfortable once you get used to it.
15. We try to speak gently, not harshly, as development of character.
16. Yes Gods can help with anxiety.
17. Indian stores or on-line puja supply stores will help.

The key for all of this is to make a personal connection with the deity. Just as you can see Him, he can see You. So its a two way street. If He can't 'see' you, its much harder to help.

Best wishes

Aum Namasivaya

jaydonc
06-05-2013, 05:25 AM

where do i start?
what do i have to do?

please please help!

To know about the Hinduism, I would strongly suggest you to read the Bhagvat Geeta or its translated kind of version Geeta As it is.

moonincancer
06-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Midnight rose, I agree with most of what's been said above. Im a practicing Hindu and I read cards...no issues there. Hinduism does not enforce too may rigid beliefs and offers considerable flexibility because of its long and varied history. You can speak to an angel and a Hindu deity at the same time...one does not rule out the other. Alternatively, meditating works equally well. Aum is a good sound/mantra to focus on. The symbol can be googled and then you can visualize it in the third eye area or say or hear it aloud.
Enjoy your journey:)

moonincancer
06-05-2013, 09:16 AM
The Bhagwat Geeta is indeed a central Hindu text esp. because it enshrines beliefs about the soul, reincarnation, the cycle of karma and salvation.

Mayflow
06-05-2013, 11:30 AM
O, the Gita is indeed an outstanding read.
Many of the brightest minds not only Hindus will agree to that.
I am sure it is available free online, and likely at a local library.