PDA

View Full Version : speaking my truth

in progress
20-02-2013, 01:45 PM
I've seen this pop up a few times recently and it surely has in the past. It's something I think about.

What does it mean to speak one's truth? Is there an appropriate or inappropriate time to speak one's truth?

For me, at this point, I get that speaking one's truth is about not being afraid to talk about what you believe. I use the word "believe" purposefully btw.

I also wonder if it's only appropriate to speak one's truth if asked. But then I think, well, what if I want to see society change for instance and I have ideas about it. Wouldn't that be an appropriate time to speak my truth, even if someone didn't ask me? :icon_scratch:

What do you think?

Gracey
20-02-2013, 01:51 PM
I've seen this pop up a few times recently and it surely has in the past. It's something I think about.

What does it mean to speak one's truth? Is there an appropriate or inappropriate time to speak one's truth? if you speak to bring others down, then that is not appropriate. otherwise, i speak when i feel like it.

For me, at this point, I get that speaking one's truth is about not being afraid to talk about what you believe. I use the word "believe" purposefully btw.

I also wonder if it's only appropriate to speak one's truth if asked. But then I think, well, what if I want to see society change for instance and I have ideas about it. Wouldn't that be an appropriate time to speak my truth, even if someone didn't ask me? :icon_scratch:

are you interested in becoming an activist on some subject?

What do you think?

Juanita
21-02-2013, 03:36 AM
LOL---I speak my truth whenever I can especially with those that do not share my beliefs...
I really don't pay much attention to whether it is appropriete or not......I do like to plant those seeds......

NovaSounds
21-02-2013, 04:33 AM
I find it really depends on who your talking too! The classic line from the Movie A Few Good Men...."You Can't Handle the Truth!" sometimes applies.
Some of the people I know, think spirituality is more like the movie Ghostbusters!....
I usually find that after a few fishing questions, you'll know if the Truth should be known! haha

chadley
21-02-2013, 05:56 AM
There is a phrase I like, “The best advice given is advice asked for”

It can be a discipline sometimes to hold your tongue when you believe you can offer information that can help even when someone is not receptive to what you have to say.

Sometimes, even if the receptivity is not outwardly expressed, you can still sense that there is a space made available for the information to be shared.

Usually, if you take the time to center yourself before responding and avoid communicating out of a reactive state of mind or being, you will then be able to sense whether it is a good idea to offer the advice.

You may use the same judgment before stating your truth. Take the time to study the way you feel before you do it and try to be in a calm state of mind when you communicate. If you feel turbulent emotion whenever this truth that wants to escape your lips or finger tips comes to mind, then take the time to pause until it subsides.

If you state your truth while you are centered, calm and non-reactive, it will always be the right time.

in progress
21-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Thank you so much for your input Chadley. You know I hold your opinion in high regard.

I felt pretty certain about not offering information that wasn't asked for (and which I am most guilty of) but I forgot completely about the idea of reacting.

chadley
21-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Your Welcome,

You know I meant to go to bed and I haven't been on SF for a long time, but here i am prattling about :)

I'm glad you found it useful

Gem
21-02-2013, 09:29 AM

What does it mean to speak one's truth? Is there an appropriate or inappropriate time to speak one's truth?

What do you think?

Mix 'truth' with 'belief' and call it 'mine', I don't understand it, but I assume the motivation is to assert a belief as the truth, which is common in spiritualizm.

If people just said,'I believe', that would be accurate. 'My truth' is a blurry convolution. Simply state 'I believe' so that people won't be mislead.

Advice is not welcome usually, they simply don't want it, but a spiritual person would say 'they're not ready to hear it'... and again the simple truth is twisted by assumption. I only say that coz Chadley mentioned advice.

If a belief is held because some kind of injustice is observed, then advocate, but know the facts, because 'my truth' won't cut it. People don't know what it takes to really know something, they see it on the news and it becomes 'their truth', but an advocate better be sure of the facts... and will probably need to conceal them... soon enough you find the truth does just as much harm as good.

in progress
21-02-2013, 10:48 AM
So how do you tease apart truth from belief?

Because I'm starting to think all we have is belief, at least from the standpoint of the human mind and our lives and speculations about anything during our human lives. I do believe there are higher truths but that they can't be grasped by mind. They are only accessible by the heart. That's why we know there are truths. (which is my belief of course!)

I have no problem with people calling beliefs "truth" because we obviously make decisions, interpret reality and act accordingly from the perspective that what we believe is indeed true. So why wouldn't it be called "my truth"?

I've seen that you are a strong proponent against giving advice but it's a catch 22. I mean aren't you really giving advice against giving advice based upon a belief ("my truth")? This kind of paradoxical stuff sneaks into everything. I'm sure you've noticed it yourself. It seems to be the nature of mind/ego in duality and there is no getting away from it, it seems to me, unless someone becomes enlightened or dies. It's a conundrum in my mind.. and that's the problem lol! Mind is involved.

Ha! Which is why Chadley was really advising taking the mind out of it. I only just realized that. Duh.

chadley
21-02-2013, 11:00 AM
The human mind, or ego or typical state of consciousness likes to protect itself. And this is really easy to do since you can always hide behind opinion. Your truth will always be an opinion to someone else’s ego. Your ego tells you what is true for you is not true for me. Notice the underlying theme, separation. I am not you.

It has been my observation that there is always at least some universal truth in any belief system or opinion, its just hard to see sometimes when it is obscured by programming and emotionally based conclusions. To find it, you must discover the part of yourself within that resonates with all life.

The universal truth for all can be seen within. This recognition of truth comes out of the state of consciousness above the mind where unity is realized. Comparatively, the mind/intellect is a very dull tool when trying to unlock the secrets of the universe.

A very good gage for determining whether the messages that you are inspired to express contain universal truth or not is the inspiration itself. What is your intention when speaking this truth of yours? How do you feel when you are expressing it? When you express yourself, is it too defend or contradict? Or is it inspired from a deeper knowing.

The difference in these motives can be easily felt inside. The emotional charge you feel when you are defensive or when you are meaning to contradict another person is very different from that of divine or creative inspiration. Expressing divine truth literally brings you to higher states of consciousness as you do it.

You can also observe your internal posture in anticipation for the response. How do you feel when someone disagrees with your truth? How do you feel when they contradict it? Do you have expectations as to how it will be received? Were you expecting to change someone’s mind in one post?

Usually, if what you say is from the ego, your mind will start preparing itself right away for a counter response. You may read replies with one eye open in case people respond harshly. It is good practice to observe your reaction when this happens.

It is true that most people are not open to expanding their boundaries. They just want to find others that agree with their current understanding or defend it against nay sayers.

However, if your intention is pure, then the response you get no matter what it is, becomes irrelevant. It is the action of expressing truth that fulfills you.

in progress
21-02-2013, 11:33 AM
I had a good chuckle. Good stuff.

Thus why all this stuff about being in the moment and observing so you can see the programs running. I still have trouble remembering to be aware but it's gotten better.

I have some "friends" who always say, "check in with yourself throughout the day" to see how you are feeling, physically and emotionally and what you are thinking. They want us to get into the habit. They say we'll eventually become continuously aware of our frequency state .

sound
21-02-2013, 11:50 AM
What does it mean to speak one's truth?

What do you think?
My truth is my experience ... that's what distinguishes it from belief for me ... I plan to walk Spain in a few years ... I 'believe' it will be a positive experience for me ... after I have walked the walk, I will have experienced the truth of it ... my truth/experience will, in deed, be revealed ...

Gem
21-02-2013, 11:54 AM
So how do you tease apart truth from belief?

Because I'm starting to think all we have is belief, at least from the standpoint of the human mind and our lives and speculations about anything during our human lives. I do believe there are higher truths but that they can't be grasped by mind. They are only accessible by the heart. That's why we know there are truths. (which is my belief of course!)

I have no problem with people calling beliefs "truth" because we obviously make decisions, interpret reality and act accordingly from the perspective that what we believe is indeed true. So why wouldn't it be called "my truth"?

I've seen that you are a strong proponent against giving advice but it's a catch 22. I mean aren't you really giving advice against giving advice based upon a belief ("my truth")? This kind of paradoxical stuff sneaks into everything. I'm sure you've noticed it yourself. It seems to be the nature of mind/ego in duality and there is no getting away from it, it seems to me, unless someone becomes enlightened or dies. It's a conundrum in my mind.. and that's the problem lol! Mind is involved.

Ha! Which is why Chadley was really advising taking the mind out of it. I only just realized that. Duh.

That's just a trick to say advise against giving advise, and I merely say unsolicited advice is unhelpful and often harmful as it interferes with self determination. On the other hand when advice is asked for, then a great deal of care is prudent, because the power balance sways to the advisor, so it's probably better not to advise, as too much influence is there.

I believe that self determination is the essence of freedom and am happy to talk to people that need help, which is mostly listening, and assist them to identify their issues, figure out what they need, and choose some way forward, but it's their perogative, and I don't know what's best for them, so I can support people in whatever they decide and that's helpful to them.

While people are trying to make the truth into an ultimate reality, to me that's just fun for philosophy, and the truth is what you tell when your honest. Then there's facts like oil floats on water regardless of what you believe. That's when we know something, we experience it and it's known. If you say I believe oil sinks, it's true because you honestly believe it, but you're also wrong and I can prove it to you, and so much for 'your truth'...

Belle
21-02-2013, 12:21 PM
chadley your posts are rich with wisdom thank you.

The truth, your truth, lies within your heart, and if you speak it from the heart (or not) then it will be delivered with love that can reach the other person. If you speak from the mind, then there will be a dischord.

My problem is: I don't know my truth, I have heard too much and am busy filtering what I have heard in order to reach a position that resonates with me. It may, of course, well change as our truth is fluid and is a journey - just because I hold something as truth doesn't mean I've arrived.

I am also extremely wary as a lot of the opinions / truth I do sense, I know won't win me many friends. And so I have to hold the position in my heart strongly so I can message it with grace and kindness and compassion, in a way that is palatable but not watered down, and also sustainable for myself so that if the message is rejected, it does not become a personal affront to me.

Belle
21-02-2013, 12:26 PM
PS: It's a good idea for a thread:

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45766

Gem
21-02-2013, 12:36 PM
The human mind, or ego or typical state of consciousness likes to protect itself. And this is really easy to do since you can always hide behind opinion. Your truth will always be an opinion to someone else’s ego. Your ego tells you what is true for you is not true for me. Notice the underlying theme, separation. I am not you.

It has been my observation that there is always at least some universal truth in any belief system or opinion, its just hard to see sometimes when it is obscured by programming and emotionally based conclusions. To find it, you must discover the part of yourself within that resonates with all life.

The universal truth for all can be seen within. This recognition of truth comes out of the state of consciousness above the mind where unity is realized. Comparatively, the mind/intellect is a very dull tool when trying to unlock the secrets of the universe.

A very good gage for determining whether the messages that you are inspired to express contain universal truth or not is the inspiration itself. What is your intention when speaking this truth of yours? How do you feel when you are expressing it? When you express yourself, is it too defend or contradict? Or is it inspired from a deeper knowing.

The difference in these motives can be easily felt inside. The emotional charge you feel when you are defensive or when you are meaning to contradict another person is very different from that of divine or creative inspiration. Expressing divine truth literally brings you to higher states of consciousness as you do it.

You can also observe your internal posture in anticipation for the response. How do you feel when someone disagrees with your truth? How do you feel when they contradict it? Do you have expectations as to how it will be received? Were you expecting to change someone’s mind in one post?

Usually, if what you say is from the ego, your mind will start preparing itself right away for a counter response. You may read replies with one eye open in case people respond harshly. It is good practice to observe your reaction when this happens.

It is true that most people are not open to expanding their boundaries. They just want to find others that agree with their current understanding or defend it against nay sayers.

However, if your intention is pure, then the response you get no matter what it is, becomes irrelevant. It is the action of expressing truth that fulfills you.

'Intention is pure' is used to justify so many horrid things.

I hear a lot of this sort of rhetoric, but maybe people don't agree, so they contradict whay you say, it happens to me all the time. With me though, I don't have theory about their ego, conditioning, separation, programming and so on. That's likely 'your truth'. The odd contradiction is, 'I am you', but there seems to be a disparity between 'them' who are bound to ego stuff and 'us' who are 'them'?.

I'm careful with expressing the truth (and even lie) because of good intentions.

Let me illustrate something, your post is all about ego and conditioning and so on and how that rears up in counter response, but it implies if someone doesn't agree with something they possess all those undesirable traits, so what you say could be seen as an egoic defence strategy or even a pre-emptive attack. I don't think it is really, but it's just as good as your theory.

4everLove
21-02-2013, 12:46 PM
i think so as long as you see it as a good thing or a way to help something. I do think that is how we have good change in the world is when people question things and bring forth their own ideas, as long as it is appropriate.

i know i posted something similar. i think it is a good thing for the most part. change comes from change within

Gem
21-02-2013, 12:55 PM

The truth, your truth, lies within your heart, and if you speak it from the heart (or not) then it will be delivered with love that can reach the other person. If you speak from the mind, then there will be a dischord.

My problem is: I don't know my truth, I have heard too much and am busy filtering what I have heard in order to reach a position that resonates with me. It may, of course, well change as our truth is fluid and is a journey - just because I hold something as truth doesn't mean I've arrived.

I am also extremely wary as a lot of the opinions / truth I do sense, I know won't win me many friends. And so I have to hold the position in my heart strongly so I can message it with grace and kindness and compassion, in a way that is palatable but not watered down, and also sustainable for myself so that if the message is rejected, it does not become a personal affront to me.

I think all this 'speak from the heart' kind of thing isn't very wise, it's lovely and sentimental, but I couldn't get through even one hour of the day with that attitude, because I have to measure so much of what I say.

Now lets look carefully at 'the message'. First, did anyone ask to be heralded? Second, Is it really necessary to be the messenger? Is it kind to not care if 'your message' is received? Are you treating the person with dignity and as an equal or speaking down at them? Is this I'm saying now 'my message'?

I consider that people want to be heard, and today I had to work in a groupto overcome some obstacle, and there was a quiet asian girl who said something, but I didn't write it down, and by that small neglect I actually excluded her, she felt excluded and she clammed up... in fact I should of encouraged her to participate since she was quiet natured... and I did all that with good intentions and sure I deivered my message... and all I can say is, there's a lot more truth in listening than there is in my message.

Gracey
21-02-2013, 01:07 PM
a lady sits in the pew in front of me complains about how the church money is used just before putting money in the collection plate. i found her to be greedy and thought to ask her why she is putting any in then. just to keep things real (truth), but then i thought this edit: this is just where she is right now, so i just let go...

am i the activist in her life to make a change? i choose not to be.

Gem
21-02-2013, 01:23 PM

Who knows what 'my truth' means. I thought it was another way ofsaying 'what I believe', Sound say's it's what she experiences... I have nothing to say because I believe and I experience and and 'my truth' seems to be a very obscure term. I'm true because I'm genuine and I tell the truth, not because there's an ultimate truth within me, the within is always a discovery and never a fact.

I think you're right to consider carefully what you want to say and deliver it as tactfully as you can, because thats considerate to the person, and I think it's wise. I don't win many friends either because I don't think the 'good intention from heart' is wise, but sentiment is popular so it's all over the place...

Belle
21-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Indeed Gem - I don't know what "my truth" is as I don't actually know what "i believe" at the moment. An eerie and a little tremulous place to be.

Gem
21-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Indeed Gem - I don't know what "my truth" is as I don't actually know what "i believe" at the moment. An eerie and a little tremulous place to be.

I don't really believe in anything either, I mean I believe stuff but it's just stuff I assume really, or maybe some stuff I heard, might be incorrect though, but to me the truth is what you express when you say what you said, because you really mean it.

Gem
21-02-2013, 01:51 PM
i think so as long as you see it as a good thing or a way to help something. I do think that is how we have good change in the world is when people question things and bring forth their own ideas, as long as it is appropriate.

i know i posted something similar. i think it is a good thing for the most part. change comes from change within

Yea... everything changes and like introspection the looking in and the expression, the inside coming out.

Free thinking isn't the believing of the things like the ultimate thuth, only the discovery of looking in and it isn't as though one has to say the 'right' thing, just let the inside come out into the light and be seen, and it's like a rebellion too, not a violent revolution or anything, just a simple rejection of any authority.

Belle
21-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I don't really believe in anything either, I mean I believe stuff but it's just stuff I assume really, or maybe some stuff I heard, might be incorrect though, but to me the truth is what you express when you say what you said, because you really mean it.

And therein lies much of the problem. I do have a few certainties I'm happy to say - I am Belle - being one.

Seawolf
21-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Truth is a temptation for me. It feels good and satisfies my emotional need for control and importance. By knowing something I can be better than others who don't have The Truth(tm). I can feel in control and like I know something others don't and need to know. It's great to be in a position where all people need is what I have. Then when it all comes crashing down I'm in chaos and confusion. My control is gone and I don't know what to do. And at that point I'm at my very best, and then have a choice to let it all go, or find Truth again to mask my fears.

in progress
21-02-2013, 05:15 PM
PS: It's a good idea for a thread:

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45766
What a hoot! I didn't even know it was there! This topic is one of many that gets recycled over time. I really have been thinking about it lately though.

Belle
21-02-2013, 05:28 PM
And there was me thinking i was original !

chadley
21-02-2013, 05:57 PM
'Intention is pure' is used to justify so many horrid things.

Let me illustrate something, your post is all about ego and conditioning and so on and how that rears up in counter response, but it implies if someone doesn't agree with something they possess all those undesirable traits, so what you say could be seen as an egoic defence strategy or even a pre-emptive attack. I don't think it is really, but it's just as good as your theory.

Gem,

Yes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, right?

The intention you speak of is the ego’s intention. Perhaps I could have said it differently, what I mean by divine intention can be stated as a higher vibration or state of consciousness. Not to be confused with the arrogance of feeling superior, which is a lower state of consciousness.

My post does not imply, but directly states that it is not the action or message itself that constitutes the quantity of truth within it, but the state of consciousness by which the action or message is expressed.

Its not the disagreement that marks a post as “ego centered”, its your state of being and/or mind when you write the post. However, it is not my intention to make a personal judgment as to what state your consciousness is in when you submit a post.

Instead, I’m asking you, the poster, the issuer of your truth, to look inward while making the post and observe it for yourself.

Universal truth is not a finite conclusion or incontrovertible argument, it is an experienced awareness that adds spiritual clarity to all belief systems. When you recognize this truth, when you bring awareness to it, you feel it, you experience it. It comes from a place of internal harmony that many spiritual teachers talk about. You feel and experience it as you express it.

Once you find this state of being, you no longer have to look externally for answers, belief systems or ideology.

Hope that helps

chadley
21-02-2013, 06:10 PM

Belle,

Your awareness that you don't know your own truth and your ability to acknowledge this within yourself, is also rich with wisdom.

One of the biggest obstacles to hearing your own deeper truth is the desire to try and figure it out with your mind, then come to conclusions based on opinions and on what others you respect say.

You are much more likely to find your own truth by not looking for it.

I should put that last sentence in a fortune cookie, I think? Wait, its probably already in one.

Belle
21-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Thank you chadley - the zen like quality of your posts is alluring, and indeed the not looking for truth and then you find it - isn't that in an Osho card? I forget which.

But zen and truth, very liberating combination. Thank you.

Mr Interesting
21-02-2013, 07:48 PM
I think this is a case of one of those statements which has a different aspect depending on where one is at become it contains the words speak, your and truth which means it's going to mean completely different things to completely different people.

To me it means those times when entirely relevant stuff comes out of our mouths but the words don't come from our brain. We aren't in a judgemental position at all and if anything are in a state of listening, both to what's around us and what's inside of us, becoming a conduit or medium as it were. It could be the utterance is words ,music etc and this is the speaking part.

Your truth isn't so much a definition of what you believe in so much as the sum total of what you are as being a vibration that resonates with that to be spoken.

And as Chadley says it's not so much the words or whatever that is spoken so much as the current it comes in on that actually counts.

SSBEE
24-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

I thinking speaking your truth or standing in your truth is so so impotant. you should be yourself at all times and always speak your mind and not worry what others may think or say.

I found the hardest thing in my life was to spek the truth with my husband. Strange I know. i always thought he wopuld judge m and my past but once I opened up it easy and I felt comfotable and our relationship blossomed.

Love n Light,

Sandy :)

Gem
26-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Gem,

Yes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, right?

The intention you speak of is the ego’s intention. Perhaps I could have said it differently, what I mean by divine intention can be stated as a higher vibration or state of consciousness. Not to be confused with the arrogance of feeling superior, which is a lower state of consciousness.

My post does not imply, but directly states that it is not the action or message itself that constitutes the quantity of truth within it, but the state of consciousness by which the action or message is expressed.

Its not the disagreement that marks a post as “ego centered”, its your state of being and/or mind when you write the post. However, it is not my intention to make a personal judgment as to what state your consciousness is in when you submit a post.

Instead, I’m asking you, the poster, the issuer of your truth, to look inward while making the post and observe it for yourself.

Universal truth is not a finite conclusion or incontrovertible argument, it is an experienced awareness that adds spiritual clarity to all belief systems. When you recognize this truth, when you bring awareness to it, you feel it, you experience it. It comes from a place of internal harmony that many spiritual teachers talk about. You feel and experience it as you express it.

Once you find this state of being, you no longer have to look externally for answers, belief systems or ideology.

Hope that helps

I don't think in terms of ego and divine... but a lot of awful things are justified by divine intenton, God's will.

The divine is just an assertion of righteous and the ego is ascribed to anyone who is actually right.

In the end, this whole purity of intention thing is misguided, and misused, but people like the nice little packages so neatly wrapped up.

There seems to be a bit of a fuss around this personal judgement thing, and when I look into myself, I just see someone who understands things on a level of complexity that spiritual airs can't describe.

Heheheh 'helps'... dear me...

chadley
26-02-2013, 05:20 PM
I don't think in terms of ego and divine... but a lot of awful things are justified by divine intenton, God's will.

Your statement here looks to me like you are lumping in spirituality with religion. Let me know if this is the case, because I might need provide a bit more clarification if so.

More have likely died on behalf of religious cause then any other singular motive, I suspect. This motive defines the ego's intention. To fight to the death to defend a belief system or dogma. I am talking about something totally different

There seems to be a bit of a fuss around this personal judgement thing, and when I look into myself, I just see someone who understands things on a level of complexity that spiritual airs can't describe.

Seeing is believing, but experiencing is knowing.

Instead of looking, feel. Divine intention is a state of consciousness, or state of being. And when it is experienced, if it was anything other than profound, there would be no fuss.

When you look inside, when you turn your attention to your inner awareness, and your present state of consciousness, you are observing without judgment. You are not exclusively observing thought.

When I speak about the internal state of consciousness, I am referring to your personal awareness of your internal experience or feelings. In intellectual terms, are you relaxed? Are you reactive? Do you feel emotion of any kind? Does that emotion feel healthy? Are you feeling pleasure? Pain? If so where? Are their repeating thoughts that you were otherwise unaware of?

Most importantly, what do you find out when making the above observations while you are reacting, or when there is a crisis or when you are writing a post or having an intense conversation? External events and conditions have a wonderful way of bring things to the surface that you otherwise may not have noticed.

The above are all examples of experiencing your personal consciousness from a physical, emotional and mental point of view.

But, guess what? You are on SPIRITUAL forums right now. This means that people have gathered to discuss experiences which transcend the physical, mental, and emotional experience.

Spiritual experience can often be confused with the other 3, especially when it involves the justification of actions or the avoidance of personal issues. This is why spiritual teachers advise to look inside with sincerity. This practice requires a certain personal honesty and if practiced regularly will bring about self-realization. For those who do it long enough, they begin to see beyond the mental chatter and the emotional turbulence and start to discover the inner peace that has been written about over and over.

This profound state of being is who everyone is at their core. It is the complexity of thought which obscures one’s ability to connect with it.