PDA

View Full Version : Delusional or Possible Spiritual Growth/Awakening

Royalite
16-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I have no idea where to post this but it seems as though this is the best place so far. I want to apologize because this is a really REALLY long story but I really want assistance and perspective.

So for the past few months things have been happening to me that to me are scary and yet...oddly reassuring. But I keep wondering if it's the placebo effect or if I'm losing my mind.

Back in May I had been at the very bottom of a depression. For an entire year nothing BUT bad things were happening and I couldn't get pass the past! :icon_frown: Then one night while crying and pray writing and very disconnected from reality and wanting to die, I heard a voice from within that said something. The voice wasn't from my mind or from thought but came from a deeper, inner place in my heart. "You are beautifully and wonderfully made in my image!" My heart filled up with love, forgiveness, compassion, everything else that made me cry but this time it was from overwhelming bliss. I just started to hug everything and love everything!!! I couldn't even explain it and I still can't. I was at a major stand still in my life at the time and after that I went from that road block to just moving mountains! lol If I ever doubted the existence of God (because I had begun to question at the time) I changed that.

After that, things began to happen that were like daily miracles. I forgot about the past and I just started doing things that I wanted to do but at the same time I shifted gears and became more spiritual than usual. And then some new questions popped in my head. If God is Unconditional Love, is the Devil really real? Does hell seriously exist? Things of that nature. But I digress...

Because of what happened I began seeking even more profusely to awaken and to be enlightened. I hear many people say things about having an awakening experience and I read the stories and I often come into contact with people who are awakened. They radiate light to me.

One night while meditating I began to cry because I wanted to awaken but I felt so many things holding me back from living up to my full potential. I want to do well in school, I wanted to make my family happy, I wanted to be loved by others, etc and I felt like I was dying! I thought I was going to die and I wanted to die! I was rolling around and crying and crying and crying and then I realized that it was the want that was causing me to suffer! The area around my forehead and on the top of my head was pulling and tingling and it felt like there was heat and energy all over my forehead and I just came to the conclusion that I was going to die. I accepted it and welcomed it. I just wanted to go back to God. Then it all just popped! The want disappeared. I wanted nothing: not life, not death, not doing well in school, not making my family happy nada!

When I realized that the illusion of want was gone I began to laugh uncontrollably! I couldn't believe it! It was so simple! I was very much in the moment without want or need or...I was here and that's all! That was in the evening. Later that night though, my heart began to pulsate and i felt like I couldn't breathe. I was in my room alone and I felt like there was something else in the room with me though I couldn't see it. I felt fear build up in me and it was like a fight or flight response and I just ran out of the room. I was still feeling my head tingles and I went to the emergency room to which they said all my vital signs were fine. I thought I was having a heart attack! BUt since I'm only 19 and very healthy...:confused:

Anyways, the heart racing and the pulsing head continued for about two to three days before it subsided. I was told I was having an anxiety attack. But to what?!?

Anyways, I'm curious as to whether or not I'm doing myself a disservice, if I'm delusional, or if this is a sign of spiritual awakening.

Spiritlite
16-10-2010, 11:32 PM
What do you think it is? I can't read into your head and I think the only person who can tell is you really. I think that deep down you know the answer to that question.
I have anxiety attacks at times, in fact I'm on medication for them, and while I was having those anxiety attacks I knew for a fact that it was not a spiritual awakening.
Which why I say while you're having those so called attacks what do you think it is? Deep down I really feel you know the answer to all of this.
Spiritlite

Royalite
16-10-2010, 11:39 PM
What do you think it is? I can't read into your head and I think the only person who can tell is you really. I think that deep down you know the answer to that question.
I have anxiety attacks at times, in fact I'm on medication for them, and while I was having those anxiety attacks I knew for a fact that it was not a spiritual awakening.
Which why I say while you're having those so called attacks what do you think it is? Deep down I really feel you know the answer to all of this.
Spiritlite

I'm scared to label it in all honesty. I feel as though if I do I'll get uppity when all I want is to humble myself. I've had 2 anxiety attacks and it surrounds the experience. One being after the illusion evaporated and the other after fearing I was going back into separation from God....I think of that as the box.

I feel like I'm at a stand still and I don't know where to go. I'm not being "spoken to" as before. It use to feel like connecting with that wiser inner voice that knew everything was so much easier and now I just feel frustrated and tired all the time.

Spiritlite
17-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Do you think that maybe you are trying too hard to be spoken to like you were? I find that if I push things like that I push it away instead of letting it come to me.
Can you pray or meditate or whatever you do without expectations? If it happens great if not okay you have plenty of time to allow it to happen.
It sounds like panic attacks related to the spirituality to me.
SPiritlite

Royalite
17-10-2010, 12:25 AM
Do you think that maybe you are trying too hard to be spoken to like you were? I find that if I push things like that I push it away instead of letting it come to me.
Can you pray or meditate or whatever you do without expectations? If it happens great if not okay you have plenty of time to allow it to happen.
It sounds like panic attacks related to the spirituality to me.
SPiritlite

Doing the meditation/mindfulness without expectations...sounds so simple and yet I never thought about doing that.

Spiritlite
17-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Give it a shot, NO expectations whatsoever.
Spiritlite

Michelle11
17-10-2010, 03:12 AM
Hello Dynamist,

It sounds like you are going through a time of spiritual discovery. I don't think you are dillusional but you may have a bit more work ahead of you if you are still feeling a bit stressed about it all. But please remember you don't have to have it all figured out right now right this second. You are making great strides even if it doesn't feel like it. You have had some really great insights that are helping you get to the next step. Just keep asking the questions and you will be led to where you were meant to be. One thing I will say is you comment that want is an illusion. But what about it being the need that is the illusion? There is nothing wrong with wanting things in life. Want motivates us to move forward in life. It is when we put a need for them to happen that we get tripped up. We wind up needing things to make us happy when the truth is we define what happiness is not what is in our life. Something to think about. Well best of luck to you that you get this all sorted out.

Love,
Michelle

Spiritlite
17-10-2010, 03:19 AM
I agree with Michelle, don't force the process, spiritual growth can take years, I started when i was about 21 I'm now 35 and still spiritually growing.
Spiritlite

Royalite
17-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Hey Michelle,
That is something to think about. Often I placed my wants in the need category and when that got let go...the burden was lighter. But I see that I still have this strong desire to "awaken" and it's like I can't and then I'd start thinking things like, "Darn it's not meant for me!" or that I'm doing everything all wrong and it's hopeless! :/ But I clearly don't believe that because I'm still stressing over it like it's something to attain.

Anyways, thank you Michelle! :) I'll keep on keeping on.

Spiritlite, I'm 19 now and I feel like I've been searching since I was 12. But I think my biggest fear is that I'll be searching and never find until age 50. More and more I find myself getting tired and I just want to sleep it off but it's like something in me wants to keep going, to keep searching until who knows what! It doesn't want to relax because then what?

Xan
17-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Dynamist... Since you've been searching so long it's become a way of life for you.

It's time to start finding... finding out that what you've been looking for in the future is here... now.

I suggest you give up the whole idea of "searching" and begin practicing being present and aware Now... in This Moment... just as you are. It's simpler than you think.

Then notice the quiet Open Space that is also here... along with whatever is going on in your mind or around you.

Also, you might like to read Eckhart Tolle's book, "The Power of Now".

Xan

Royalite
17-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Dynamist... Since you've been searching so long it's become a way of life for you.

It's time to start finding... finding out that what you've been looking for in the future is here... now.

I suggest you give up the whole idea of "searching" and begin practicing being present and aware Now... in This Moment... just as you are. It's simpler than you think.

Then notice the quiet Open Space that is also here... along with whatever is going on in your mind or around you.

Also, you might like to read Eckhart Tolle's book, "The Power of Now".

Xan

I read the book a few years back. I think a part of me is afraid to stop searching because I think I'll end up crazy or die.

Xan
19-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Well... I hope you take this with the kindness I feel in saying it Dynamist...

You are already a little crazy since you want to just keep searching instead of finding. And everyone dies sometime. So that shoots holes in postponing discovering the truth of yourself... eh? :wink:

And... there is fear in everyone's mind about the Truth, in one form or another. It's good to face those fears and go beyond them to discover how simple and pure it really is.

Go ahead... read the book again. You'll hear it differently this time because you'll be able to take it personally now.

Xan

Royalite
20-10-2010, 04:39 AM
Well... I hope you take this with the kindness I feel in saying it Dynamist...

You are already a little crazy since you want to just keep searching instead of finding. And everyone dies sometime. So that shoots holes in postponing discovering the truth of yourself... eh? :wink:

And... there is fear in everyone's mind about the Truth, in one form or another. It's good to face those fears and go beyond them to discover how simple and pure it really is.

Go ahead... read the book again. You'll hear it differently this time because you'll be able to take it personally now.

Xan

"Nothing to it but to do it" I guess...

Alright! I'll read the book again. :smile:

Greenslade
20-10-2010, 08:50 AM
It's easy to become blinkered by searching to not see the answers when they're laid out in front of you. By all means search and let the Universe know you're looking for the answers, but don't concentrate so hard in searching that you can't see them land in your lap.