PDA

View Full Version : What are altars meant/used for?

korryn92
03-02-2013, 05:01 AM
I have seen people on the forum mention altars and such. I never really figured out what they were used for, except I think in some cases Wiccan's use them for rituals. (correct me if I am wrong here no disrespect if I am)

But other than rituals what are altars used for? A space to devote you your god/gods/goddess? A relaxing place to meditate and do healing?

I am just curious because I get lax on meditating a lot because I have no designated space to do it, and was wondering what other individuals used altars for.

Isolde`Yewl
03-02-2013, 05:35 AM
All of the above! :icon_biggrin:

Altars are meant to be a place of positive energy, a place negativity has never tainted. It's infused with your own personal power and empowered by your inner strength.

As for what it's meant for, whatever you want! Many people store their metaphysical items there, charge other items, perform rituals, pray, meditate, whatever!

It's your space, not mine. :tongue:

Blessings,
Sol

korryn92
03-02-2013, 06:24 AM
Thank you for your reply!:D

I am thinking of making on since I need to clear out(not completely) by organizing old things and getting rid of others that are no longer used. My boyfriend is going to put a weight bench in there so he can build more muscle (like he needs more lol) and help him lose weight. We will both be losing weight when he starts a competition at work.

I figure I could put a small altar in a space in there with incense and stuff for cleansing my home. I am thinking of getting some other trinkets to represent other beliefs as well for decoration.

Do people usually use a table or make a little stand? I know it is up to me but I was just wanting some ideas too :D

Emmalevine
03-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I have one. I'm very lucky I have a raised platform behind my bedroom door which seems to have no purpose so I turned it into a meditation corner. It has a shelf where I keep my crystals, stones and spiritual ornaments. On the wall is a pinboard with lots of spiritual pics and Buddhist sayings. I feel good just to be near there.

korryn92
03-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Starbuck - Thank you so much for sharing what your altar is like! That is awesome how your door happened to have a little shelf behind it!

I have a keepsake box, decorated thick cardboard, that I got for Christmas and I am thinking of making a portable altar that I can store in a box so nothing gets damaged when I am not at my altar.

The box is big enough for the things I need for smudging, incense, my couple of crystals, a fairy figurine, a cloth for when I set up my altar, and still room for other things. The pretty design on it really fits my personality as well.

I am seriously thinking the box will work for my altar so when I am alone and want to set it up and admire it on the living room coffee table I can, or anywhere else I want to and I am not constrained to one room, or house, I can even take it outside.

Blue Tiger
03-02-2013, 04:32 PM
I use a small table about 18" x 24" that has one shallow drawer and a buttom shelf. My incense and tarot cards fit in the drawer, yoga mat and writing pads on the shelf, and on top I keep an assortment of items that seem "special" to me.

I frequently rearrange the items, bring in new ones, pack others away. What I have on it depends on the season, my mood, and what I find pleasing visually when I set it up.

Right now I have a few feathers, a tibetan singing bowl, a wooden eagle, a ceramic fairy, some shiny stones, and a sage smudge stick. All sit on top of a small Native American blanket, though sometimes I choose a piece of cloth instead. And candles.

It's just a lovely, peaceful little place I can focus on when I meditate or just need a quiet moment to myself.

Mr Interesting
03-02-2013, 07:57 PM
All life is an Altar. Is it not convenient that the words alter and altar are pronounced the same but only have one letter different? The altar doesn't matter except that it is a focus for ones attention.