PDA

View Full Version : An Old Wives' Tale?

Serrafina
22-01-2013, 10:15 PM
I heard once somewhere that buying your first tarot deck for yourself was bad luck. That's been the main reason that I've waited so long to actually buy one. Is there any stock in this? Anyone heard this before?

(And just so you know, I did recently cave and buy my first deck :P I felt such a connection to it when I saw it that I couldn't resist.)

Avilucis
22-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Hi Serrafina,

I think I may have heard that before. I've heard lots of little rules for tarot, like that.

Sometimes that works for people.
They find that rules of how to obtain and work with tarot will make them work better and/or be more powerful.
In my opinion what makes the tarot work is something beyond little rules like that, so it is not necessary.
But would be ok to work with such a rule, as long as you feel ok with it.

Since you went and got your own, and it appears you have a great connection already with the cards, I wouldn't worry about it at all, and enjoy your freedom and love and let the cards work for you in that way, which is the way I use them too.

Whatever works!

MYFIGO
23-01-2013, 12:09 AM
I read that too when I first began and it scared me a bit. I wanted to learn so badly that I bought my own. I'm glad you bought a set you couldn't resist! Have fun with it!

Squatchit
23-01-2013, 10:17 AM
I read that one is 'supposed' to wrap the cards in a cloth. I threw the superstitions/rules surrounding tarot out along with the tarot guidance booklet.

When I read tarot, I read the story on the cards themselves and bring all the images together into a sort of 'chapter' of a book, if you like.

I was pleasantly surprised how much there is in any one tarot image, once I started looking...and not only with my physical eyes. :smile:

namid
23-01-2013, 10:26 AM
I bought my first set of tarot cards myself and I'd never heard of someone having to buy them for you. Since my first set, I've bought several more, but, I always feel drawn back to a certain set. Like Serrafina I throw the instruction book away and read what is in the cards and speak what I feel and hear.

I hope you enjoy your set for I'm sure they will bring with them enjoyment to you and others.

Jules
23-01-2013, 10:33 AM
I've always believed that you WERE supposed to buy your own set as you get drawn to the ones you should be working with, and also it's your own energy that's transmuted onto them and no-one elses.

Native spirit
23-01-2013, 10:46 AM
:smile: I have also heard that you are not supposed to but your own tarot cards. but as i dont like them its not something that i have had any experience with. i have the Native american medicine cards. but i agree with jules.
you pick up a pack of cards and as you hold them you get a sensation whether they feel right to you or not.

Namaste

Serrafina
23-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Wow, I'm actually amazed that people have heard this before! I mentioned this at the Pagan Organization on my college campus, but no one there had heard of it before. My deck is going to come in soon, I can't wait!

green
23-01-2013, 11:56 PM
I heard once somewhere that buying your first tarot deck for yourself was bad luck. That's been the main reason that I've waited so long to actually buy one. Is there any stock in this? Anyone heard this before?

(And just so you know, I did recently cave and buy my first deck :P I felt such a connection to it when I saw it that I couldn't resist.)

yes, i heard that before, i believe there some historical truth to that story but now days just go and get your tarot deck, on one will give you a tarot deck unless you will ask for it and it would be just as if you got it yourself.
there are many do and don't do regarding tarot cards, but none are solid rules unless you take them upon yourself as such.
keep open and make your own mind instead of let other's fears be your guide.

G

psychoslice
24-01-2013, 01:51 AM
I have no beliefs in bad luck, but I will tell you a story of what happened when I did buy a deck of Tarots. I brought a pack of card on a Friday night, when I shuffled the cards I then picked one card, the card was the death card. I kept thinking of that card throughout the next day, which was Saturday. That night my mates and I went to the drive-inn, it was a bit boring so we went for a drive. We decided to go for a late night swim just out of town, it was about 2 am in the morning, when we go there it was too cold, so we decided to go home. On the way back while I was driving, a figure walked out to the side of the road and shot me. Well there you are, what a big change in my life that was, which the death card also means. Anyway, i ended up burning them lol.

green
24-01-2013, 09:52 AM
and you think this is all because you bought your own deck of cards? couldn't that happened if you had gotten a deck of cards as well? if someone had given you a tarot deck would that mean that you never had drown out the death card?...
in other words? wasn't it the death card waiting for you either way or you truly beliieve it is your punishment for buying a deck of cards?

G

psychoslice
24-01-2013, 10:29 AM
I don't know if you mean me my friend green, but yes I don't think the cards had anything to do with what happened to me, but that's how people who believe in bad luck would probably think, they would see it as being the cards that predicted what happened. I just thought it was a good story lol.

green
24-01-2013, 01:53 PM
i totally agree with your line of thinking Psychoslice, and for some reason it makes me happy to know you do not think this way.
yes, it is a good story :)

personally i believe that if something is meant to happen to someone, it will happen no matter what one doing or not doing.

G

Serrafina
25-01-2013, 01:52 AM
I wouldn't say that it was the cards, and buying them yourself, that gave you the bad luck, but that the cards were predicting what would happen later in the future. I believe in good luck and bad luck - people just *happen* to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The cards predicted your misfortune...they didn't determine it.

psychoslice
25-01-2013, 02:16 AM
These days I have about three packs of Tarots, my favorite is the Osho pack, there beautiful.

green
25-01-2013, 09:25 AM
though i do not follow your belief about luck Serrafina, i totally agree with you, cards do not determine nor create your future. who creates it is a different question, cards predict the future or i believe they give you insight into the future so you can make better decisions about your future.

G

Serrafina
25-01-2013, 11:12 PM
My tarot cards came in! After I had them good and shuffled, I did a basic reading for myself. My babies answered me so well!

My past: Eight of pentacles. All about diligence towards striving for goals and the tenacity with which to meet them
My present: The World (Major Arcana). A big beginning is just around the corner!
My future: Page of Wands. Carefree spirit. Opportunity to create something new, inspirational, and creative is just around the corner.

Too amazing <3

Zedna
28-02-2013, 06:33 PM
congratulation about your first deck :D
I've heard about that rule as well, and at first I believed in it. Until I decided to leave (or try to leave) the superstitions.

I too have bought my first deck not too long ago. Wasn't planned though, I was jsut scrolling and admiring all the tarot cards when I saw Ciro Marchetti's Legacy of the Divine tarot. They connected with me even through the computerscreen, I immediately knew I had to have them :D