PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cat pees everywhere. How to solve this 'spiritually'?

Fada
05-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Hi there,
We have a sweet little cat living with our family. There is only one problem that can't seem to solve: she will pee wherever she pleases, whether it is on the floor, on the table, on our clothes, papers... Pretty gross and smelly too.

Of course, the main problem is that we live in an apartment and cats, this cat at least, need space and need to be outdoors. We have spent time in the country and taken her along and she was so happy there. No peeing problems then.

But, for now, we live in this house. We've tried cleaning every place she pees with 'cat repellents' such as vinegar, we've tried training her by spraying water, etc. etc. Our cat has her litter box which she uses to poo in, she has access to the balcony where she pees too, and still, she pees all over the place inside the house as well.

Now, I believe in 'as within, so without' and that any problems we experience reflect something within ourselves that we need to solve. In this case, however, I can't figure out what that is...

Does anyone have an idea what to do? Throwing her out is not an option. Moving house, I'm sure we will, but not just now. Should I learn how to communicate better with my cat? Give her much more attention? Any other solutions? Thanks for your ideas.

Kaere
05-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Is the cat box out in the open? Some cats like to be able to 'hide' while they're going, I've had success with my cats by putting the box under a shelf. Also, some cats dislike the feeling of certain types of cat litter on their paws - too coarse, etc. Switch brands and see if that makes a difference.

Lucid68
05-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Have you taken her to the vet ? gross and smelly urine may mean she has a UTI, just a thought :)

disconnected
05-01-2013, 10:35 PM
I have a similar issue with one of my cats. She doesn't pee on just anything though, instead it's on any clothes or towels that are left in the floor. This is a bigger problem for my husband with his clothes, and I've had to throw away several towels. I gave up having floor mats in the bathroom.

It drives me crazy. It drives my other cat crazy. Vets say she's fine... she just likes to pee on things that have our smell on them in the bathroom :|

I'll be watching for any tips!

Adrienne
05-01-2013, 10:46 PM
I have a similar issue with one of my cats. She doesn't pee on just anything though, instead it's on any clothes or towels that are left in the floor. This is a bigger problem for my husband with his clothes, and I've had to throw away several towels. I gave up having floor mats in the bathroom.

simple solution, hang up the towels and clothes :D don't leave them on the floor

sound
05-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Maybe you could try putting a little kitty litter on a piece of newspaper, well removed from the kitty litter tray. Also on the piece of newspaper put an article of clothing or something else that she has peed on that still has the pee scent on it. Hopefully she will pee in the litter on the newspaper, or nearby and just keep moving it closer to the litter tray and she may eventually get it ... it's worth a try.
I have trained my little dog to pee on a folded up nappy on the tiles in the bathroom when I am not home to take her out. I have a nappy bucket beside it for soaking and just replace it with a fresh nappy each day ... it works a treat.

Maybe put the kitty litter tray in the bathroom?

Adrienne
05-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Fada, I am very sorry to hear you are having such problems with the little kitty and the peeing all over issue, but I just have to wonder.... about the " How to solve this spiritually " ? isn't that a bit much, lol .... spiritually ? :tongue: now really....

best wishes to you for finding a solution :smile:

Mr.Whitmore
05-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Tell her....no....demand that she stop..........telepathically?

disconnected
06-01-2013, 01:23 AM
simple solution, hang up the towels and clothes :D don't leave them on the floor
I don't, but my husband is another story!

Rin
06-01-2013, 03:02 AM
Is the cat castrated or neutered?
First things first, and no, you can't do that spiritually.

Nameless
06-01-2013, 03:10 AM
Hi Fada,

I have a friend who is an animal communicator (pet psychic), and this is what she said:

"Thanks for trying to find a spiritual answer to your family's issue. My cat had similar issues about two years ago when we first brought him home, and we went through much the same thing with him, so here's what I learned from my experience. Hope some of this is helpful to you.

Step one is a visit to the vet, just to make sure there's no underlying physical issue--becase cats are very, very good at disguising physical symptoms if they're sick or out of balance, and sometimes the peeing everywhere indicates simple physical discomfort.

Step two is the spiritual side of things. Cats in general tend to pee (or poop) where they know they're not supposed to as a way of expressing their stress. It's not necessarily that they're upset with you, but they may be feeling stressed about something in their environment. You mentioned that your kitty was happier in the countryside and likes being outdoors. If she's an indoor kitty in an appartment, there's a cool thing they have now that is basically a kitty leash and harness so you can take them outside without their escaping, and some cats can even be trained to go on walks, though it takes them a while to get used to the equipment. (Note: you never want to just attach a leash to a cat's collar, because they have fragile windpipes. You'd have to get the leash and harness system for safety reasons if you wanted to try this route.) A popular and fairly inexpensive brand is "come with me Kitty," and costs between $15-20 US.

If the reason she's peeing is that she feels cooped up, then this kind of taking her for outside excursions might help alleviate the stress. If she's left alone in the house all day, like if you and your husband both work full-time, then it could also be that she has a lot of energy that doesn't have anywhere to go, and it might help to run her around for 20-30 minutes before her dinner when you get home--wand-style toys work best in my experience, because it's interactive and dynamic, but if you have a cat who just loves to chase fake-mice or lasers, go with what she likes.

Also, try to lessen the temptation and if you can, convince your husband not to leave things on the floor--I know you're probably already doing this. But cats are kinda wierd when it comes to habits--they can sometimes get a little hardwired to repeat any behavior that alleviated their stress in the past, kinda like an addiction, so even if she's getting her psychological needs met, I still wouldn't tempt her if you can avoid it because now the behavior pattern is firmly established.

If you try this stuff for a while--give it a week or two and look for signs of improvement--and it doesn't help, I'd contact an animal communicator to get in touch with your kitty and see what your cat has to say about it. If you want, you can message Nameless to get in touch with me, since that's what I do, but I really recommend trying these tips first and see if you can't work the problem out yourselves."

Berry
06-01-2013, 03:51 AM
If medical issues are ruled out, have you tried Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Cat litter? It has worked for some who refuses to use the usual cat litters. I've once known a cat who would only use dirt, not cat litter. So, sanitized indoors house plant potting soil was purchased. Just a thought.

iolite
06-01-2013, 05:48 AM
My cat Bounder used to do that. Every time my brother would come stay with us, he'd pee in the duffle bag. Come to find out, Bounder had a bladder infection. He never acted sick, never peed outside the box except when my brother visited. Got him on antibiotics and it stopped. I've had cats prior to Bounder for almost 20 years. I thought I knew UTI's. I've had UTI's before, they were extremely painful and when my cats had them, they ran to the litter box to pee very frequently. Bounder did none of that. But he had a bladder infection.

For any anxiety issues, I'd recommend Bach Flower remedies. Rescue remedy to start with. There is a website called FeelBach.com that lists all the flower remedies and the conditions for each of them. That will help you figure out specific remedies.

ASPEN = fear of the unknown and constant anxiety
BEECH = intolerance of other animals or people, or changes in their routine
CENTAURY = meek, picked on by other cats
CHICORY = for manipulative, possessive, or clingy cats or cats with separation anxiety
CRAB APPLE = for over-grooming and compulsive behavior
ELM = for cats that are easily overwhelmed, obsessive-compulsive behavior, or for territorial stress
HOLLY = lost status or attention, jealousy, abandonment, or for abused cats
IMPATIENS = for impatience, nervousness, and irritability
LARCH = for cats intimidated by other cats, and for cats who spray
MIMULUS = for specific fears (like a trip to the vet). Also for timid cats and fear of other animals or people
PINE = for cats feeling guilt even though they have done nothing wrong, feel rejected, abused or fearful
STAR OF BETHLEHEM = for any kind of physical or emotional trauma, shock, need for comfort
VINE = for the control freak intent on domination, aggressive cats, and cats who bully others
WALNUT = for cats experiencing changes, going into a new environment, meeting new animals, transitioning from outdoor to inside only
WATER VIOLET = for grief, or for loners or reclusive cats
RESCUE REMEDY = actually a combination of 5 flower essences creating an essence all its own. Used in any kind of trauma, emergency or any stressful situation. Use the drops or spray only. Don't use the cream or pastilles with pets, they are too strong.

in progress
06-01-2013, 09:21 AM
I was listening to a channeling session probably a few months ago by now. Someone asked a very similar question but it was about a new kitten he brought into his home.

He wanted to know why too from a more spiritual perspective and the answer was that he didn't like to play by the rules in the sense that he liked to do his own thing instead of what society expected so the kitten was reflecting that.

I think the answer given was to close kitten in one room with the litter box until it started using it then allow it to have access to the whole house.

ces
06-01-2013, 09:27 AM
That's how I would tackle it too as In Progress has suggested. Explain to the cat that it is upsettig you and ask it to stop doing it. Confine to one room to help with the training to use the litter box.
Good luck

sesheta
06-01-2013, 10:56 PM
I agree - try a different litter box (most cats I've had seem to prefer the covered ones) and try different litters.
And definitely have a vet check for possible infection!

Also - a lot of the time this is simply a way for a cat to "mark" it's territory. Did the apartment had a previous tenant who had pet(s)? Maybe your cat is spelling another cat, and is reacting to that....Is your apartment on the ground floor? Is there another cat (or cats) that comes around outside that your cat may be reacting to?

LPC
08-01-2013, 07:05 PM
You could try putting an extra cat litter tray on the balcony, and even perhaps a litter tray in each room in the flat.

Do you change the cat litter frequently. Cats are normally scrupulously hygienic and hate going on a ltter tray which is dirty or smelly.

Ultimeately, it might be best to move with a property with access to a garden, if possible.

Best wishes to you!

runningwithbutterflies
10-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Did you recently move to this apartment? Maybe she just doesn't like this place as a home if she has less space. Unless she has always been a housecat, I imagine she will be very frustrated by not being able to go out now...presumably, she can't explore further outside than the balcony because of it's height?

If she poos in the litter tray then I agree that getting another litter tray might be a good move, as some cats are very fussy about using one which is already soiled...

If you have recently moved, I imagine the cat would be unsettled for a while and the peeing may be a way of showing that upset and/or marking this new territory if there were animals in there before.

But as a number one check, I would see the vet first to outrule any physical issues. Cats are not clean animals and it seems odd to me that she would pee *everywhere* as you've described...

Gem
10-02-2013, 11:34 AM
I just got this in... try a pet advice forum...