PDA

View Full Version : spreads... question?

kindheart
28-12-2012, 05:16 AM
Hello to all!
Whenever I do oracle card readings, I tend to simply interpret cards that pop out of my decks, in relation to my question... or draw 3 cards that I put together in order to give the reading a global meaning/answer, based on those cards. I don't necessarily use a spread.

I have, however, been meaning to start using spreads (simpler ones to begin with). Reading up on spreads, I'm a bit confused though. Same spreads/positions in spreads can have different meanings to different people, as I've noticed from the websites and threads I've read. I would find it difficult to interpret cards not knowing what it should relate to in a given position?

For instance here are TONS of different options for 3 card spreads (with tarot, but I imagine can be used just as easily with oracle cards/angel card decks): http://www.biddytarot.com/easy-three-card-tarot-spreads/

... Do I simply decide on what each position will relate to prior to drawing the cards, and then interpret them in relation to their pre-given position (trusting the cards werent meant to be interpreted according to another 3 card spread description)? :confused2:

As I stated in a previous thread, I apologize for having a hard time expressing myself into words! I hope you get what I mean, and am looking forward to your input :) :D

Belle
28-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Hi, I use two things when reading cards for someone else, partly the strict meaning from a book I have and partly my intuit which may come from reading the picture of the card or what I am sensing.

When I started I was very very rigid in the meaning from the book and I have started to get more bold in just sensing the energy that I see.

My advice, don't over-think but go with your instinct all the time.

cMarie
31-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi!

Yes, Tarot or Oracle cards can become overwhelming...I hear you!

I think you are on the right track with deciding for yourself what the positions will refer to before doing the spread, and then stick with that unless something really stands out to you. You should follow your intuition at the end of the day.

That is what I do. But sometimes after reading the cards, just taking some time to reflect on them for a while more meaning will come to me. I can get more out of a reading by relaxing and letting the cards sit there for a while. If I am alone I may get up and do things and then return to casually look at them. If I am with someone I may just talk to them for a while and then further insights will come. So the meanings of the positions is a good place to start and even finish the reading, but what I am getting at is that the cards are not static - they are a rich source of insights. So perhaps being flexible after the reading, or if something jumps out at you - but for the most part assigning the positions meaning before you shuffle.

Also, I do not do professional readings, just for myself and occasionally some friends - so I have no time constraints. Your situation may be different, and then yes I would assign the meanings before you do the spread.

I hope this makes sense!
You made perfect sense to me, I had no problem understanding you. :)
Take care!

Albalida
31-01-2013, 08:26 PM
draw 3 cards that I put together in order to give the reading a global meaning/answer, based on those cards. I don't necessarily use a spread.

That works!

Same spreads/positions in spreads can have different meanings to different people, as I've noticed from the websites and threads I've read.

Yes, they do. That means you can make your own. For example, the Celtic Cross was very stodgy to me. I didn't like to read that spread, because I felt that it was much less intuitive than the Horseshoe and the positions of the cards didn't allow the meanings to flow together. They might as well have been just ten or eleven single-card draws in a row, for different questions.

Since I'm a big fan of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (now an animated series, before that it was a video game), I re-wrote the positions of the Celtic Cross for personal use, so that each card in the staff represented your battle party in the video game, and the cross part represented aspects of the enemy.

I would find it difficult to interpret cards not knowing what it should relate to in a given position?

You can think of them as the way you've done your spread-less 3-card draws, only they have seven, or more cards to lay out a dynamic that you can read in a general way.

... Do I simply decide on what each position will relate to prior to drawing the cards, and then interpret them in relation to their pre-given position (trusting the cards werent meant to be interpreted according to another 3 card spread description)? :confused2:

Yes. That works, too. Personally, in addition to the pre-draw position decision, and which cards fit the position, I also think that it's a good spread that allows the positions and the cards to relate to one another. Here's one example that includes a video because the spread has moving parts: http://blog.hellboundwitch.com/post/39851479079/float-on-spread