PDA

View Full Version : Keeping yourself centred when reading for other people - how do you do it?

tealily
23-12-2012, 05:39 AM
I recently started offering free online readings (both here and on another website) to give myself something to do while I try and recover from a recent breakup. It's one of the few things that's really taking my mind off at the moment.

One of the things I've discovered is that happy people don't really ask for readings! :O Perhaps it's because I'm very open and sensitive (and I know this is something I need to deal with - any advice warmly welcomed) but a looming issue I see is having to find a way to not get depressed with other people's problems. Ideally, I see divination as being a way to find solutions and make people feel better. And making people feel better is something that makes me happy :)

Might it be in the questions people are asking? I'm getting lots of "what does the future hold for me in terms of health/career/romance". Perhaps it would be more beneficial to end with "what can I do to improve ____" type questions so the readings always end on a positive note? I feel very strongly about people having something positive to look forward to for some reason. Maybe I need to work on my wording?

On the plus side, all the people I've read for on this site have had such lovely-feeling energies :) There's a sense of nurturing here, whereas on the other site (not a spiritual forum) it's very take-take-take.

angelwhispers
23-12-2012, 12:31 PM
That's wonderful that you are reading for others. The thing is you will find people that just take and take when you read for them and others are very gracious. You just have to know when to say enough with those you feel are on the taker end. Sometimes no matter what kind of reading you give someone it won't be enough. Do what feels right for you, so if you want to end it with something to loom forward to then go ahead.
I find it best to do a mini cleansing if i've done readings online where i release everything and visualuze white light. If i fo readings in person then i sage after they leave. However you do it you just need to remember to release that energy so you don't carry it with you.

kindheart
23-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Sometimes people want to get a clearer idea of what the options are... what's best for them, what they want the most, what they can look forward to and be more prepared for it. I feel like this is a problem many people have, maybe hence why the frequency of those types of questions, especially if they don't have a specific "dilemma" to solve. I don't exactly see this as a negative thing, but a way to get a clearer perspective on a situation. Maybe it would be less draining for you if you also saw it as being beneficial types of question for some people, as different people have different needs? I agree with angelwhispers about releasing energy afterwards :)

kindheart
23-12-2012, 09:56 PM
You might also want to do some "grounding" before you start your readings (if you don't already), and even ask Archangel Michael to create a bubble of protection around you to prevent those negative energies from getting to you when you do readings for others.
Could it also be that you're not in the best spirits to do readings these days, as you are coping with difficult feelings? You may be more vulnerable to experiencing (or perceiving) negative energies these days, given the break up?

Neville
23-12-2012, 09:56 PM
When I read ,the feelings and emotions are allowed, permitted, put upon me. I allow it in order to be a channel, so alas I cannot remain centred and detached,, The grounding comes after,:smile:

Enya
23-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Always remember you're not there to sort out their lives or tell them what to do - all you can ever do is offer possibilities and a signpost or two. Make it clear that nothing is set in stone and it is *their* choice which matters. I always focus on offering a way to change their preceptions so that they see the choices they can make. I also let them know I'm not a fortune teller, although you always get some who don't listen... :cool:

Belle
25-12-2012, 01:52 PM
When I read for others, I'm completely detatched, I forget what the question was and I forget what I've written. The energy flows through me and out of me and doesn't touch with me.

Sometimes with people I've read for there has been follow up and i've nearly always noticed that that's when a connection of energy might emerge, and in that case I have to look to the self and say "why am I picking up x, y, and z" as it is because something is resonating with the same vibration as mine.

So, instead of focusing on the other person and their issues, I look to the self and thank the other person for showing me more about myself.

Might not be the case for you tealily? But always worth doing a sense check.

The reason tho - I would suspect is happy people don't ask for readings - as a rule - is they are comfortable with where they are at. Who cares about money / romance / career etc - when such things are in place. But how great they are coming for looking for something in life rather than accept the status quo. The energy of hope is very very powerful.

Ishh
20-03-2013, 12:33 PM
I agree people feeling lost, people not able to think clearly, Suffering etc ask for readings most often. ... basically they feel disconnected from themselves so they seek to get guidance from outside. .. My heart reaches out to them.... when I do reading first thing I do is make sure I will not be disturbed and gather myself. ... call upon my guardians ~ Indian goddess Parvati is my guardian ( my name itself means ~ her powers)...in her presence I feel safe to open my heart to anyone ( client , however depressed) I feel incredibly compassionate when I tune into their energies. ... and that's because I am completely safe and I feel the oneness ♥
in the end I ask goddess to transmute any negative energies I might have accumulated by tuning in and I visualise beautiful white/ golden/ pink light whichever appeals to me that moment and its done for me ♥
hope it makes sense .... Thanks :)