PDA

View Full Version : Thinking too much

slaga
18-12-2012, 03:09 PM
For a few months now I have been thinking about this spiritual stuff almost all the time. As my wife points out, I seem preoccupied and actually self-absorbed, which is in a sense anti-spiritual. Does anyone else have this problem? I have three young children and my family is very important to me, but my mind often wanders to these existential things. I am aware that mediation may be advisable, but in my position that would be an extreme challenge (with my busy schedule and the little ones). If I tried to meditate I'd probably just fall asleep! Anyway, is it wrong to think too much, and if so how do you stop?

Ecthalion
20-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Hello Slaga.
I have the same problem as you. I'm always thinking; usually about the nature of reality and such like.
My wife says that I am distant or distracted but I can't help it. I have a curious mind.
As far as meditation goes - well, my mind never shuts up. I can't meditate properly for more than a minute or two!
Another part of the problem is that I like to think and don't want to stop.
It's all a question of balance. I try not to neglect my wife, my daughter and my job. I find writing ideas down can help.
If you find a solution let me know.

slaga
20-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Don't get me wrong, I do like to relax too. I think that it is not necessary to always take in new insightful information, and it can be just as appropriate to veg out in front of the TV as to meditate for instance. I think there is some sort of psychic transfer of energy that goes on when you allow yourself to chill out and not focus too hard on anything. I think that people who have mastered mediation have mastered letting go and looking inside themselves, which is great, but I guess that is just not my style. I think it is OK to just go with what is in your envorinment and analyze, try to relax, and analyze again.

slaga
20-12-2012, 03:06 PM
I also do music, which I consider a form of meditation. It takes me to another place. But there is limited time and energy for that...

slaga
20-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Something my wife suggested to me is the buddhist practice of mindfulness. I don't know much about it yet, but it apparently is supposed to help one with staying in the moment instead of being lost in thoughts or daydreaming.

St.Stephen
21-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Thinking about Spiritual things isnt really being spiritual its simply just thinking. The core of spiritual life is living and being where you are here and now. When its time to eat you eat if somethings asked of you you do it, ****? You ****. Breathe, be mindfull, and most importantly love your family "which includes evrybody".

millergrls
21-12-2012, 04:51 PM
For a few months now I have been thinking about this spiritual stuff almost all the time. As my wife points out, I seem preoccupied and actually self-absorbed, which is in a sense anti-spiritual. Does anyone else have this problem? I have three young children and my family is very important to me, but my mind often wanders to these existential things. I am aware that mediation may be advisable, but in my position that would be an extreme challenge (with my busy schedule and the little ones). If I tried to meditate I'd probably just fall asleep! Anyway, is it wrong to think too much, and if so how do you stop?

I don't think that it wrong to think about your spirituality too much, because when you grow, your family will benefit. Meditation will help you find a release, this is why you think too much you need a release. Do you have a journal? I have four children, a full time job, and a full time husband:D . Often I get up early in the morning before everyone is awake to meditate, even ten to fifteen minutes is better than nothing. Sometimes my children wake up and I put on a less intense meditation and they join me. Balance is the key. When I found balance, I stopped worrying so much and thought less.:BangHead:

Belle
22-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Try writing your thoughts down, it will slow down your thinking and try working on compartmentalising a little - not easy but I think you can do it with a bit of practice.

slaga
24-12-2012, 03:17 PM
I have doing quite a bit of writing in this forum, I've found that very useful. I really like bouncing my ideas off other people rather than having them in a vacuum, so it is great to hear from other people. I've lately been focusing on poetry since you can express more in fewer words. Music is great too for that purpose - you don't even need words. But at the heart of the matter is that there seems to be too few people in my life that want to engage in spiritual conversations.

Seawolf
24-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Thinking about Spiritual things isnt really being spiritual its simply just thinking. The core of spiritual life is living and being where you are here and now. When its time to eat you eat if somethings asked of you you do it, ****? You ****. Breathe, be mindfull, and most importantly love your family "which includes evrybody".
I agree, spirituality is about practice to me and has very little to do with what I think or believe about it. In fact I really don't believe in it, I just practice it because it helps me. I used to think about it all the time and it didn't do much good in real life, all it really did is make me think I 'knew' secrets that other people didn't, which is kind of dumb.

slaga
24-12-2012, 08:25 PM
But how do you practice spirituality without thinking about it? What is the source of the experience?

Belle
24-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Ah slaga - therein lies the question.

Spirituality is being. It is in the mundane, it is in the supermarket run, it is in the office, it is in the schools, it is in the being squashed with smelly people on the tube - and being.

You don't have to be different, you don't have to smile benignly at the irritating people along the way, you don't become mindless, but rather it is in the gritty true life experience and every now and again, you do have the glimpse of the divine and that is glorious. But every other second counts in shaping you as a truly spiritual being, which you are. Not a second is wasted.

Seawolf
24-12-2012, 10:35 PM
But how do you practice spirituality without thinking about it? What is the source of the experience?
The source of the experience is the mind. I wasn't saying I don't think about spirituality, I have to think about what I'm doing when I practice it. I just don't try to figure it all out because it's pointless to me. I believe spirituality is in the mind and so while it's fun to let the imagination run with it and try to 'figure it out', it doesn't really help me in real life. That's more for people that are interested in it like a hobby. I'm more interested in real life results.

slaga
24-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Belle - That's deep, I'll drink to that. Seawolf - I think I get it, but I have to ask if it doesn't help in real life what life does it help you in? I don't mean to sound sarcastic but it must help on some level or else we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Seawolf
24-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Belle - That's deep, I'll drink to that. Seawolf - I think I get it, but I have to ask if it doesn't help in real life what life does it help you in? I don't mean to sound sarcastic but it must help on some level or else we wouldn't be having this discussion.
When I say help in real life I'm talking about getting results with things like depression, substance abuse and anxiety. High blood pressure is a big one. If spirituality didn't help with those things I wouldn't be here because it's just not that interesting to me.

Henri77
24-12-2012, 11:09 PM

I write tons in the forums, yet benefit the most from time in daily meditation.
While writing is a great form of information exchange, all the knowledge in the world doesn't change one.

Only action does, weather socially or solo in meditation.

All the same, as Belle suggested, journalling can clear your mind, and provide many insights, that don't come from writing in forums.
(even a little bit, done regularly, can open up your intuition)

I can know everything about music theory, music history, but that won't make me a pianist. Only practice will do that.

Spirituality can mean many things, but ultimately it requires investigating your consciousness and discovering yourself ,firsthand.

OR service through genuine love-devotion.

Henri77
24-12-2012, 11:43 PM
For a few months now I have been thinking about this spiritual stuff almost all the time. As my wife points out, I seem preoccupied and actually self-absorbed, which is in a sense anti-spiritual. Does anyone else have this problem? I have three young children and my family is very important to me, but my mind often wanders to these existential things.

It's perfectly normal to ask many many questions when one turns ones attention to spiritual matters.
It's really like exploring-discovering a new universe.

Yet the sooner one learns to look within for their personal truth the better, as eventually ,all teachings-teachers direct one inward.
Also,,,, children often teach-remind us of simple values-perspectives we overlook in life.

slaga
24-12-2012, 11:55 PM
I do a lot of journaling when manic (I'm bipolar), but usually don't otherwise. I'll give it another whirl. I'm doing well now but don't have that hyper creative urge. I'll give it another try though.

Henri77
25-12-2012, 12:33 AM
I do a lot of journaling when manic (I'm bipolar), but usually don't otherwise. I'll give it another whirl. I'm doing well now but don't have that hyper creative urge. I'll give it another try though.

I journaled for years prior to studying spiritually.
It was like talking to my best friend, about things-ideas I couldn't share with others.
Many spiritual concerns also, are very personal insights and sometimes are clarified by writing, either here-to others, or to oneself.

I pretended I was talking to my wiser self, while journalling, It's not about creativity necessarily, but conversing with ones deeper wisdom, and listening.

Also it sweeps away the cobwebs, by clearing out stuff that wants to spill out.
Things you can't-won't share with anyone else.

You mention manic ... well everyone has their own outlet-release ... and perhaps someone has personal experience with your situation

slaga
25-12-2012, 02:31 AM
Henri thank you for the words of wisdom. It's true what you say about children. I have three young ones and it is so interesting that they are actually living in much a more spiritual way than I. They can simply exist without the worry of existence. Their imagination is superior as well. If anyone accuses me of being childish, I will take it as a complement!

Henri77
25-12-2012, 04:43 AM
kids lack the decades of brainwashing adults have, and often see the truth uncluttered by fear and expectations-beliefs.

Also many are very aware spiritually, psychic, telepathic ,and often see spirits..angels.

slaga
25-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Do you think it is possible to become un-brainwashed?