PDA

View Full Version : Wolves in the news.

norseman
21-11-2012, 10:50 AM
A pack, complete with cubs, has been seen 15 miles south of Berlin.
Quote - " naturalists equipped with I.R. cameras had filmed the animals overnight - definitely a wolf pack with cubs and they seem to be on top of the world"
They appear to have moved into a deserted former Soviet army military exercise area south of Berlin - a largely uninhabited forest in Brandenberg with plentiful amounts of deer and wild boar offering peace and quiet, and ample supplies of food make it very attractive to wolves.

Well done, brothers !

knightofalbion
21-11-2012, 03:44 PM
What are population numbers like in central Europe? I have to say, I thought they'd been wiped out. Clearly they haven't!

Beautiful if greatly misunderstood animals.

norseman
21-11-2012, 08:15 PM
KoA - apparently this wolfpack came out of Poland just as the French packs came out of Italy :smile:
I still have this thought that the wolves may have taught early primitive Homo-forms the benefits of pack behaviour and so were responsible for an early inter-species alliance. Or maybe I am just dreaming :D

mike bike
21-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Wether you're dreaming or not,Wolves are beautiful creatures.

My daughter was at Uni studying wild animal welfare and control...she's been all over the world on various courses.

She told me that if Humans disappeared from Earth but the dogs remained,then eventually all the genes of the different breeds would intermix and eventually there would be just pure bred Wolves left.

Interesting thought...and a rather nice one ?....not that I wish Humans to disappear.

Blessings to all ......Mike :D

norseman
22-11-2012, 08:22 AM
:D So, Mike. That's you, KoA, and me. How about we charter a ferry and bring a pack over to the UK ? :D [Joking, maybe]

Quagmire
22-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Not so long ago there was an article in a Danish Newspaper with a photo of a wolf up here and many reports of seeing it over the last year. Can't remember what it said about when we last had wolves in Denmark.

mike bike
23-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't think the crew of the ferry would go a bundle on having a ship load of Wolves on board ! :smile:

And there's another "extinct" animal (in this country) that has made a come back...the Wild Boar. They escaped from farms and are now doing very well,especially in the Pennines.. a rather posh lady wrote in the paper how she was horse riding in the hills and she disturbed a family of Wild Boars.

Her horse was startled and nearly threw her off...it galloped away with mummy Boar in hot persuit....and it's said there's nothing so nasty as a Wild Boar protecting it's family.

There's even an old pub in the Pennines called "The Wild Boar" I seem to remember it's at a hamlet called "Algreave" (maybe wrong)....but the area is called "Wild Boar Clough"...there's a Boar pelt on the wall...they are a big animal...and I used to go wild camping in that area! :icon_eek:

Ever been to North West Wales ? If you go ,then have a look at "the Glaslyn Osprey project" not far from Porth Madog. They go to West Africa for the Winter.

The same pair come to breed every year.There is a camera rigged up above the nest and the videos are relayed to the viewing hut...all in close up as if you're in the nest with them.I've watched one fishing....beautiful !