PDA

View Full Version : Why do you wear a bindi?

BuekerC1
15-09-2012, 01:41 AM
A bindi is a small dot (often red) wore a little bit above the spot between the eye brows, where the third eye is traditionally depicted. The red dot can be wore to enhance beauty, worship the intellect, assist in meditation, respect the inner teacher, and/or highlight the importance of one's intuition. I am curious to know why you wear a bindi. And were you raised Hindu? Thank you and Om.

Native spirit
16-09-2012, 12:34 PM
:smile: From what i understand of it.its supposed to protect agains evil or used for concentration,i dont really know more than that as i am not Hindu

Namaste

A peaceful mind.
16-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Traditionally, the area between the eyebrows (where the bindi is placed) is said to be the sixth chakra, ajna, the seat of "concealed wisdom". According to followers of Hinduism, this chakra
is the exit point for kundalini energy. The bindi is said to retain energy and strengthen concentration. It is also said to protect against demons or bad luck. The bindi also represents the third eye

With love and peace

Yours

A Peaceful Mind

peteyzen
18-09-2012, 09:09 AM
I believe it is also given as a blessing by a brahmin (priest) or guru.
Interestingly more and more people are feeling the Ajna point lately as the divine energy in the world is increasing.
Is it (the bindi) also called or known as a `chandler` or something like that?

spiritualhitchhiker
18-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Bindi is primarily worn by people for protection, it servers as a cover over the ajna chakra, it is also used as an adornment. It's primary function is to prevent other people's evil thoughts invading your mind.

lovethetruth
08-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Women wear sindhoor to tell the men not to think of them with lust, that they are married.

I feel sindhoor later got converted to bindi.

jaydonc
08-04-2013, 05:31 AM
A bindi is a small dot (often red) wore a little bit above the spot between the eye brows, where the third eye is traditionally depicted. The red dot can be wore to enhance beauty, worship the intellect, assist in meditation, respect the inner teacher, and/or highlight the importance of one's intuition. I am curious to know why you wear a bindi. And were you raised Hindu? Thank you and Om.

Bindi is only for married women,

moonincancer
08-04-2013, 10:55 AM
I am a Hindu and bindi is no longer worn only by married women. It goes well with Indian attire like sari and is aesthetically pleasing. Over the years Ive read many theories about its origins and significance, one of them being drawing the son's energy into the third eye area.Speaking from the point of view of beauty , and this is a very subjective opinion, Indian women have arresting eyes and putting a dot right in the centre draws attention to the eyes of the wearer ; ofcourse eyes also being the window to the soul:)
Indian traditions are as diverse as the communities that constitute Indianness, but on the whole men don't wear bindis.In some communities, a tilak is worn instead by men. In temples, the priest puts a holy mark in place of the bindi for both male and female devotees.This has a third eye significance as well, bringing God to the centre of the consciousness so to speak.
However being very eclectic, Hinduism does nopt advocate a rigid or set theory for any of the prevelant practices.

moonincancer
08-04-2013, 10:56 AM
oops sorry,that was drawing the sun's energy