PDA

View Full Version : List of coping mechanisms thread

Izz
03-09-2012, 06:04 PM
What are your list of coping mechanisms? Things that help you get through even tough times, here's a few of mine;

My reminder of my passion by my boyfriend

Being more spiritually, personally and practically in touch with my role as an author and being reminded of it

Emmalevine
03-09-2012, 06:20 PM
SF and music.

Mayflow
03-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Believing within myself and trusting myself.

Neville
03-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Counting to Ten mentally while taking a couple of deep breaths.

Kaere
03-09-2012, 07:00 PM
- do something active
- remember to breathe
- just get it done
- practice acceptance

shadedragon
03-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Looking around and seeing how much I have already..
Focus on stepping forward and taking a breath or two..
Praying to the Universe..
Knowing that things could be a lot worse, and that they can become a lot better..
and making someone else's day a little better, the more smiles, happiness, laughter, the precious moments in life, the more I realize that my life is getting better and better.
If things just fall way out of hand.. I ask for help, I ask for someone to talk to.. and I recall all the moments when times were tougher, and recall that many others have faced far worse, and I am thankful I have the help I receive.

Belle
06-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Knowing where I have come from and that it is for a purpose. I have to believe that.

amy green
06-09-2012, 08:17 PM
- Reminding myself of my strengths, e.g. what I have already come through

- Perspective....look up at the night sky

- Balance: Never lose sense of humour - find something that makes me smile..laugh even
(I keep a list of good jokes and record fav comedy programmes)

- Reconnect to love (dissipates the fear/anxiety)

Nameless
07-09-2012, 12:41 PM
These are my new coping mechanisms:

FEELING my emotions and letting them run their course and not stuffing them down anymore - my feelings are the most important part of my life and not dealing with them leads me into trouble

CONNECTING with spirit and asking for their help if I need help

BEING GRATEFUL for my family and the love we share and the joy and faith and happiness that we have uncovered in the greatest of trials

I am trying (but still struggle with) ice cream... And TV, though I have given it up most of the time :). Those were my old coping mechanisms.

Light.:hug3:

amy green
07-09-2012, 12:48 PM
These are my new coping mechanisms:

FEELING my emotions and letting them run their course and not stuffing them down anymore - my feelings are the most important part of my life and not dealing with them leads me into trouble

CONNECTING with spirit and asking for their help if I need help

BEING GRATEFUL for my family and the love we share and the joy and faith and happiness that we have uncovered in the greatest of trials

I am trying (but still struggle with) ice cream... And TV, though I have given it up most of the time :). Those were my old coping mechanisms.

Light.:hug3:
Yes Nameless - I meant to say this too (in my post above yours)...maybe I felt it went without saying (?)

It's my first coping strategy actually i.e. it's important to address/face whatever is causing the problem and do what can be done about it - whether this is acknowledgement, new realisation/decision/direction. If the matter can't be dealt with currently (may involve a future situation), then positive distractions are always useful.

Nameless - I "struggle" with crisps ... I am Amy and I'm a crispaholic -
.................................................( it's been 18 hours since my last packet of crisps!) :icon_eek: :dontknow: :sad3:

Saggi
07-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Laugh!!

If it's deep enough it'll release the same toxins a good cry does :sign10: :laughing9: :laughing6:

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx

Silver
07-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Crispaholic - haha amy!

I tend to take my cues from my mom and grandmom from way back when.....

count my blessings
remind myself "This, too, shall pass."
Smile, while reminding myself of all the mysterious, miraculous 'saves' I've had
count my blessings
drink some water
thank god and the mysterious universe for all of my blessings, experiences, and all the wonderful creatures in the world

Nameless
08-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Now that I am more in touch with my feelings, when I allow them to be what they are, which usually involves crying somewhere in that occassion, whether happy or sad, sometimes I find that the feelings themselves are not true, but if I don't face them and feel them, I can't know that they are not true and let them go. I never knew before that a feeling that I had could be false, and that was a huge revelation to me. Once I'm on the other side of the emotion, it is easy to see if it is true or not, but I have to face it first and feel it.

And I am an icecreamaholic ... it's tough to let go of such a good friend... :)

Light.

Belle
09-09-2012, 10:42 AM
You know this is really so not like me but at a workshop I went to, we were told to write down how we got ourselves out of a glum - eg food, physical exercise, sleep - or whatnot. one of the things I wrote down was cleaning.

CLEANING?

I hate cleaning. But I love it when the place is clean. You know that hoovered look, the dust-free environment, the fresh surfaces. hm.

kislany
09-09-2012, 10:48 AM
If it's about another person, taking a deep breath and trying to see it from the their perspective. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much...

When it's about a problem, remembering that life is about ups and downs, so at some point there will be an up, guaranteed, I just have to wait for it.

sound
09-09-2012, 11:28 AM
The truth/my truth ... that is my coping mechanism ... even when i find the truth difficult to accept, ultimately it is truth which allows me to 'move on' ... it is truth which enables me to see beyond my suffering, to whatever degree, and in whatever 'way' ...

Belle
16-09-2012, 06:02 PM
A lot of it is a "it depends". Sometimes I like to go for a walk, t's sometimes I like to sit and veg, sometimes I like to eat, sometimes I like to be wiht people and sometimes I like to be quiet and still and mindful. But, I can be contrary. I find it important to know myself and know what I am doing in any given situation as to how to respond (mostly I'm too lazy to actually do that)!

Moonstar84
29-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Books and music
Writing/journalling
I like to read self help/personal development books and sites/blogs. The Law of Attraction has helped me as well, working on my beliefs and other things.

Niebla0007
29-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Just stay focus on the matter at hand and get it done,
keeping in mind that there is time for everything, beginnings and endings.

Know when a break is needed, then get back into it refreshed and maybe with a better solution.

Be cool or stand for myself/or others with me when being under pressure.

Mayflow
29-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Books and music
Writing/journalling
I like to read self help/personal development books and sites/blogs. The Law of Attraction has helped me as well, working on my beliefs and other things.

Seems a good way. Following your instincts and intuition.

Moonstar84
30-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Seems a good way. Following your instincts and intuition.

Thanks. Yeah, I find reading or listening to music a good way to relax. And writing helps because sometimes my thoughts are jumbled and it's easier to write them down.

Izz
20-01-2022, 09:10 PM
- Warmth
- Affirmations
- Removing negative karmic energy from my life

Izz
21-01-2022, 03:37 PM
(Affirmations can be very helpful)

Izz
26-01-2022, 03:21 PM
Affirmations can be a sanctuary

"Negative karmic ties stop with me"