PDA

View Full Version : Little People of Aboriginal Americans

Wisa'ka
02-09-2012, 03:03 PM
A rarely touched upon subject that people who are interested in 'little people' may, or may not have interest in.

The little people of aboriginal America.

In this thread I will bring attention to the various types of little people that are spoken of in different American Indian legends starting with the -

Wemategunis

The Lenape believe in a variety of little people they call Wemategunis. These Wemateguins are only about 3’ tall, but are stronger than an average human. Possessing supernatural powers, Wemateguins are rather mischievous in a humorous manner, but can become very dangerous if disrespected. Some claim they are of a tribe of magical little people, while others say they are forest spirits.

Wisa'ka
03-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Yunwi Tsunsdi

In the southern Appalachians there are little people as well. The Cherokee people know of beings they call Yunwi Tsunsdi. These Yunwi Tsunsdi possess supernatural powers and sometimes help friendly humans. Those who disrespect, or are aggressive to these little people are severely punished by them in return. Usually invisible, the Yunwi Tsunsdi can take the form of small human like creatures no more than 3’ tall like so many other little people of America.

Berry
04-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Fascinating! Some years ago, I had an experience of a little person visiting me. I was taking a shower while my son was napping. A little guy about 2-3 foot tall barged into the bathroom and ran quickly towards me. The only thing was that he didn't "feel" like my son. It felt and looked like a 200 pound person running fast. He just disappeared right before my eyes. Then I realized my bathroom was closed. I quickly went to check up on my son. He was fast asleep with the door closed. I've never known my son to sleep walk. My children and I have seen other types of nature spirits within our home. The land that we reside on is not just ours alone.

Wisa'ka
05-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Fascinating! Some years ago, I had an experience of a little person visiting me. I was taking a shower while my son was napping. A little guy about 2-3 foot tall barged into the bathroom and ran quickly towards me. The only thing was that he didn't "feel" like my son. It felt and looked like a 200 pound person running fast. He just disappeared right before my eyes. Then I realized my bathroom was closed. I quickly went to check up on my son. He was fast asleep with the door closed. I've never known my son to sleep walk. My children and I have seen other types of nature spirits within our home. The land that we reside on is not just ours alone.

It's not ours at all, but sometimes we tend to think it is.

As I've mentioned on another thread, along the marshy sections rivers, creeks and the great bay in what use to be called Tsenacommacah, there are the little grey marsh people. If there was an Algonquian name these little ones were known by has long been forgotten.

They are said to be most active at night and sometimes at dusk, or dawn. Good swimmers and small enough to move through the marsh grass, they prey upon roosting waterfowl, fish, turtles, beavers, muskrats or any other wetlands animals they can bag.

Like the others mentioned so far, these little marsh people are no more than 3' tall and no less than 2'.

A Chickahominy man I know of claims to have saw some of them about 40 years ago.

Berry
07-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Many think that we own the land we live on. If we open our eyes a bit more, there's so much more we can learn from nature spirits and others that dwell within the same space.

I would love to be able to see a picture or two of the little grey marsh people. Since they are most active at night, it'll be extremely rare to see one in action. I hope they are well at this day and age.

Wisa'ka
08-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Having roamed along the numerous tidal creeks in Tsenacommacah, I've never seen any of these little marsh people, but have found extremely small stone projectile points and tools on the banks. I guess some would call these minute points 'elf shot'. I'll post a picture of one of these points a bit later.

Here is one such meandering creek and large swath of marsh grass land. Much thickly tangled forest along the banks where people rarely if ever traverse.

http://oi50.tinypic.com/9usmet.jpg

Plenty of places for the little people to stay out of sight.

Wisa'ka
16-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Pukwudgies

The Wampanoag and other northeastern Algonquian tribes know of a magical little people they call Pukwudgies. While some Algonquian tribes have friendly relations with the Pukwudgies or at worse, contend with their mischievous behavior, other tribes see these little people as dangerous beings who steal children and can shape shift into panthers and other dangerous creatures. They are not to be sought, talked to, or looked at as eye contact with them can cause harm. They also can become invisible.

These Pukwudgies are said to be only a couple of feet tall, or smaller and have a sweet scent about them as they frequent areas where wildflowers grow. Some Algonquian tribes describe them as luminous and having horns while others say they are dark and hairy.

Pukwudgies

http://oi46.tinypic.com/1zdy8aw.jpg

Berry
21-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the drawing of the Pukwudgies. It looks terrifying. :icon_eek:

Wisa'ka
25-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the drawing of the Pukwudgies. It looks terrifying. :icon_eek:

They are not to be trifled with.