PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reservation raised Cherokees

WhiteWarrior
01-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Pardon the clumsy title. I am hoping there might be someone on this forum who does not just have some or much Cherokee blood in them, or have read some or much about the tribe, but who actually grew up with them and know the culture from the inside. I should be so lucky as to find someone who actually still lives in a reservation. What I am looking for is someone who know and speak the language, the spirits and at the contemporary culture - it does not have to be a medicine man/woman.

I know, I could go search for some random website forum. But with so many people looking for cultural learning you end up with endless amounts of quasi informational places where everyone got their information from somewhere else online and noone even knows someone who are the real deal.

I don't have a single drop of Cherokee within me. But I HAVE been adopted, remotely, by one of the bands and I speak with Red Man at times. I have a lot I wish to learn more about.

Wisa'ka
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
*Qualla would be a good place, then there are the other two bands in Oklahoma. I don't know if any of these people are on this forum, but one can never tell.

*Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation located in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina.

Wisa'ka
01-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Hopefully if any 'real' traditional minded Cherokee of the 3 recognized bands, or any other American Indians appear and speak their truths, there will no attempts to shoo away, or shun them, White Warrior.

I'm curious to know how one is adopted remotely into an American Indian tribe ? Perhaps I need to ask some friends of mine who moved up here from Qualla.

Wisa'ka
01-09-2012, 04:16 PM
White Warrior, are you still there ? :smile:

WhiteWarrior
01-09-2012, 05:56 PM
White Warrior, are you still there ? :smile:

I come and go as is wont in life and on forums...

Hopefully if any 'real' traditional minded Cherokee of the 3 recognized bands, or any other American Indians appear and speak their truths, there will no attempts to shoo away, or shun them, White Warrior.

I could not imagine what might make anyone attempt to shoo anyone away from this forum because they are American Indians. We seem to tolerate and indeed cheer every other faith and cultural background in the world as far as I can observe, and anything else would be sad on a forum with pan-spiritual aspirations.

I'm curious to know how one is adopted remotely into an American Indian tribe ? Perhaps I need to ask some friends of mine who moved up here from Qualla.

I have told you this story before but I gave up finding it on the forum, so here it is again. I have never even been to the US. However, a close friend of me in the US visited one of the Cherokee bands to meet the Elder Council by appointment, on a business of her own. While she was there an item I had gifted her with with was investigated by the Elders and they took notice of my essence which was still on it. After exclaiming that I have been a friend of the tribe in past lives, they adopted me into the tribe and gave me a name I am not quoting here. I consider it a stunning event and really hope I can show the tribe my gratitude for the honor some day - and to visit them in body.

Wisa'ka
01-09-2012, 06:59 PM
I come and go as is wont in life and on forums...

I could not imagine what might make anyone attempt to shoo anyone away from this forum because they are American Indians. We seem to tolerate and indeed cheer every other faith and cultural background in the world as far as I can observe, and anything else would be sad on a forum with pan-spiritual aspirations.

I have told you this story before but I gave up finding it on the forum, so here it is again. I have never even been to the US. However, a close friend of me in the US visited one of the Cherokee bands to meet the Elder Council by appointment, on a business of her own. While she was there an item I had gifted her with with was investigated by the Elders and they took notice of my essence which was still on it. After exclaiming that I have been a friend of the tribe in past lives, they adopted me into the tribe and gave me a name I am not quoting here. I consider it a stunning event and really hope I can show the tribe my gratitude for the honor some day - and to visit them in body.

Alright, White Warrior, I'll try to understand.

Hopefully they were from one of the recognized tribes as there are a lot of non-Indian people or those of weakly mixed heritage attempting to scam those who are honestly seeking knowledge. There was a fellow who use to live near me going by the name Red Hawk. Red Hawk, or Red Hoax as we use to call him was really of mixed Anglo-Mexican heritage, but claimed to be Cherokee and was affiliated with a fake Cherokee tribe. Red Hawk charged people to attend ceremonies, sold fake charms and from my understanding embezzled a lot of money from a 'Native American' art store, where he worked. Red Hoax also frequented the local bars using his fake 'Native American' mystique to pick up tipsy, yet adventurous starry eyed women looking to hook up with someone tall dark and native. That whole Dances with Wolves craze was going on then and he really worked it well.

Although a scam artist, he left this world in a bad way which saddened some of us who knew of him.

Again, if you feel this strongly about the Cherokee people, you should re-affirm your relationship with those of the Oklahoma or North Carolina reservations. Take time to at least gain a smattering of their language.

And White Warrior, hopefully my replies are not being looked upon as a test, but when conversing with others, some people ask questions as to gain a better understanding of who they are talking to. I do not doubt there could possibly be such remote adoptions, but me and the other natives I know and talk to from several different tribes have never heard of such. As you seek an understanding of American Indians, know there are at least one or two seeking an understanding of you. My brief account of Red Hoax was to let you know about the many greedy ** artists there are here in the states. Some even sell fake memberships into equally fake tribes. Many are listed on the net.

Hopefully this video will be of some help -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9r5rOmJ6uk

Have you ever enjoyed a johnny cake or hominy ?

Native spirit
02-09-2012, 09:13 AM
:icon_eek: I go on a Native American site,one day someone came in claiming he had made his own tribe. so i asked him why would he make his own tribe if he belonged to one,he thought for a minute then said im only slighty native so i decided to make my own,he came on there looking for ppl to join, a few ppl told him he was mad,and they wanted nothing to do with him, he started on two members who are full blood indian one is cherokee the other is Navajo,he had to be bannned because he was a pest. and he claimed he was from california near the tribes there, and you had to pay to join,

Namaste

WhiteWarrior
02-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Wisa'ka, the tribe in question is one of the bigger ones. And I am well aware of the many scammers who prey on the unwary. But if they can take over the administrative headquarters of a reservation and fill the chairs of not only the chief and his staff but also the Elder Council, they have to be pretty good don't you think? I don't know if being adopted in this way is a common or unique experience. What I know is that this was their initiative and not me or my friend's, no money was or has later been exchanged for this, and there has been no practical consequences. I have spoken briefly with the chief on the phone a couple of times.

The only effect of this name giving other than my pride in a connection with a good people, is that a certain Cherokee spirit have started to seek me out through various mediums. He too calls me his adopted child. But that is beyond the intended scope of this thread.

I understand you find my story difficult to believe, especially in light of the many scammers and the even more people who wish to have a connection that isn't there. Your own certified papers showing tribal belonging is a paper of value today and many desire to have similar papers for all sorts of reasons. It must be a little like seeing others falsely claim to be in an elite military unit you are part of yourself. Feel welcome to ask your guides and your tribal spirits if I speak with a cloven tongue in this. My heart is pure in this matter.

And incidentally, I AM trying to pick up a few words of tsalagi. It would be easier to learn from someone who actually speaks it than from websites, don't you think?

Wisa'ka
02-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Well White Warrior, good luck in your search here for reservation raised Cherokee

Wisa'ka
02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
:icon_eek: I go on a Native American site,one day someone came in claiming he had made his own tribe. so i asked him why would he make his own tribe if he belonged to one,he thought for a minute then said im only slighty native so i decided to make my own,he came on there looking for ppl to join, a few ppl told him he was mad,and they wanted nothing to do with him, he started on two members who are full blood indian one is cherokee the other is Navajo,he had to be bannned because he was a pest. and he claimed he was from california near the tribes there, and you had to pay to join,

Namaste

I know that people left the Hidatsa villages many years ago and became the Absaroka, but there is very little said about these and other tribes.