PDA

View Full Version : Why it Makes No Sense.

Gem
30-08-2012, 09:53 AM
In itself this thread is futile. How can that which makes no sense be relevent to 'why'?

It's not a thread about trying to make sense of it. It's actually a nonsensical thread.

The means of making sense of it are things like meaning, purpose, reason.

Often I have heard the question what is the purpose or meaning to life... and I heard stuff like it's God's way of knowing Himself, to which anyone can agree or otherwize interpret.

My consideration isn't so much to with what the purpose or meaning is. My consideration is about; to whom does this meaning or purpose apply. Who deems this purpose meaningful?

Oh I wish God wasn't a philosophical subject, smite for that if He must, but in all the philosophies, and even in science, His Name predominates... except in the Tao, which ironically refers to 'the nameless'.

That which can not be named? Does this imply that a meaning or purpose can't be identified?

Gem
31-08-2012, 04:27 AM
We know it is, but we don't know why. We say 'it just is'.

The human mind is powerful, but what I said implies that there is no objective truth. If the truth was objective then there would be a reason why, which in turn would stipulate a definate purpose.

I sometimes examine the reason why I do what I do. Does what I do really bring me happiness? Is happiness consequential... or a precedent?

I know, something happens and I feel really happy, like I win lottery and squeel with pleasure, but what makes the happiness? Pleasure? Money? Winning?

Then again, I now come assuming that the purpose is happiness, so I seek it by persuing pleasure, I compete to win, I play smart and make the big bucks.

My lotto win lasted about 2 minutes and then it began to wane, and after 3 months it was a mere memory which no longer elated me... what's next? What can I do that makes me happy?

I chase happiness as though it's always eluding me, sometrimes I grasp it, it consistantly escapes and lies in the future, and I set my vision forward and continue this relentless persuit, and I am of the belief that one day I will have it.

Rin
31-08-2012, 05:52 AM
what's next? What can I do that makes me happy?

Stop posting things which make no sense?
Makes sense, doesn't it? :smile:

Gem
31-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Stop posting things which make no sense?
Makes sense, doesn't it? :smile:

Now you understand! :smile:

Sentientno1
01-09-2012, 05:52 AM
i haven't found that life has a purpose...i suppose thinking so is a story we tell ourselves to give some value to experience.

That being abandoned, one could choose something that will occupy that space and play at it having a purpose. Easy come, easy go....

Gem
01-09-2012, 06:21 AM
i haven't found that life has a purpose...i suppose thinking so is a story we tell ourselves to give some value to experience.

That being abandoned, one could choose something that will occupy that space and play at it having a purpose. Easy come, easy go....

I don't think it's important, but I have found that believing in what you do is better than doing it for the money.

It's remarkable... and let me try to get this right... whether of not there is an ultimate truth is not in itself determinable. It doesn't really matter all that much. It's merely the observation that there is truth, just the everyday plain simple truth.

I can tell the truth ot I can tell a lie or I can refuse to say anything... no one is compelled to be truthful, or deceitful or open. It's not more complicated than that.

The element we call 'truth' has no actuality, it's some facet of consciousness we just know, though no one has ever seen it. It in itself doesn't exist. It only pertains to things contextually. Yes there is a tree, that's true... but there's no truth.

It amazes me how trivial it is, and how it's not some ultimate God deemed existence which people are trying to find. I mean, are these not good honest folk seeing the truth while they themselves are truthful?

OF course imagery is wanted so Christ becomes the truth (and the way and the light) but Christ is more like the tree than He is like the truth, something perceived in the mind's eye, albiet a powerful figure, empowered by belief.

The more a thing is believed the more influence it has, and if reality isn't anything more that what is actually and really believed, then one needs not look furthur than their own momentary experience to know his true belief.

I write as though a river flows, and a river meets the sea, any raindrop which falls again finds the ocean one way ot the other, and rainbows fill the sky after the drops have fallen... this is all true,

but there's no pot of gold.

Sentientno1
03-09-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't think it's important, but I have found that believing in what you do is better than doing it for the money.

It's remarkable... and let me try to get this right... whether of not there is an ultimate truth is not in itself determinable. It doesn't really matter all that much. It's merely the observation that there is truth, just the everyday plain simple truth.

I can tell the truth ot I can tell a lie or I can refuse to say anything... no one is compelled to be truthful, or deceitful or open. It's not more complicated than that.

The element we call 'truth' has no actuality, it's some facet of consciousness we just know, though no one has ever seen it. It in itself doesn't exist. It only pertains to things contextually. Yes there is a tree, that's true... but there's no truth.

It amazes me how trivial it is, and how it's not some ultimate God deemed existence which people are trying to find. I mean, are these not good honest folk seeing the truth while they themselves are truthful?

OF course imagery is wanted so Christ becomes the truth (and the way and the light) but Christ is more like the tree than He is like the truth, something perceived in the mind's eye, albiet a powerful figure, empowered by belief.

The more a thing is believed the more influence it has, and if reality isn't anything more that what is actually and really believed, then one needs not look furthur than their own momentary experience to know his true belief.

I write as though a river flows, and a river meets the sea, any raindrop which falls again finds the ocean one way ot the other, and rainbows fill the sky after the drops have fallen... this is all true,

but there's no pot of gold.

It seems to me this post weighs the merits of an objective truth vs a subjective truth, and your reasoning seems fairly solid re objective.

Accepting subjective truth is workable within a given context tho it will remain incomplete and as such will lead back to questioning, not a negative thing but apt to lead back to objectivity.

Subjectie/objective truth will always relate back to the experiencer don't you think? Who always experiences in self concentric mode in bits and pieces time and space wise.

Going back to the rainbow...it's a relative truth, no different then whether or not the odds will favor you to win the lottery. The rainbow's advent depends on favorable conditions being present, and common consensus that it exists as a 3 dimensional object. Does it?

Subjective/objective, nothing wrong with either of them, both useful for living the human life.

Silver
03-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Does it make as much sense to be sad at winning a lottery as it does being happy about it? How about being indifferent? About that rainbow ~ Whenever I spot one in the sky, I light up like a child inside. Each time. Two days ago, I spotted a little incomplete one. Same thing. What's so bad about feeling good? I wonder if my post makes any sense.
:D

Chrysaetos
03-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Bingo.

It should also be noted that it is us humans who seek purpose or chase happiness. We then assume the universe has a 'purpose' or is about 'happiness'. Anthropocentrism strikes us again.

Chrysaetos
03-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Does it make as much sense to be sad at winning a lottery as it does being happy about it? How about being indifferent? You're mad. If you win the lottery you can give it to me, I will be happy, heh.

Xan
03-09-2012, 08:40 PM
One person's nonsense is another's perfect sense... and vice versa.

Xan

shadedragon
04-09-2012, 01:59 AM
:) Rather then chasing happiness, why not choose to just be Happy, and to Create Happiness? :smile: for once this becomes a set intention and goal... life begins to change dramatically.
I think a good purpose to life is to realize what we have already, and expand other horizons in sharing our world, which in turn expands our own in becoming a part of theirs. This can be seen in all being's lives, when they turn and share happiness, they grow themselves, and in all other fields as well, they cultivate the rose and in return see the beauty :) but as you said gem, it is up to the individual on what their main purpose is, this purpose being a more broad one.

Gem
04-09-2012, 09:23 AM
It seems to me this post weighs the merits of an objective truth vs a subjective truth, and your reasoning seems fairly solid re objective.

Accepting subjective truth is workable within a given context tho it will remain incomplete and as such will lead back to questioning, not a negative thing but apt to lead back to objectivity.

Subjectie/objective truth will always relate back to the experiencer don't you think? Who always experiences in self concentric mode in bits and pieces time and space wise.

Going back to the rainbow...it's a relative truth, no different then whether or not the odds will favor you to win the lottery. The rainbow's advent depends on favorable conditions being present, and common consensus that it exists as a 3 dimensional object. Does it?

Subjective/objective, nothing wrong with either of them, both useful for living the human life.

Yes there is a rainbow, that's entirely doubtless, or in other words, without question, there's a rainbow.

The experiencer validates it, but the experience is subjective. There is the 3D framework and a long explanation, but when considering what it really is, the way in which it is experienced is the truth of it.

In that way, various people experience it, each differently, and each one has the truth of what is experienced as they themself experience it.

Somehow that was going to be tied in a bow and presented to you as sense, but it fell apart at the crucial moment.

Gem
04-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Bingo.

It should also be noted that it is us humans who seek purpose or chase happiness. We then assume the universe has a 'purpose' or is about 'happiness'. Anthropocentrism strikes us again.

Oh wow!

I think people need to have a reason... why all this?

Ther probably is a reason and a purpose, but there no way of defining it... and we never actually know what it is, so that there's always a maybe.

Sentientno1
04-09-2012, 01:47 PM
The reason for the question about the rainbow, that in spite of insistance by the senses that it exists as a 3 dimensional object, no one has ever seen the back of a rainbow, or stood under one. It's 3 dimensional existance is a subjective experience.
Objectively it can be explained. But that objectivity is in itself subject to the translation by the subjective experience of the rainbow.

It comes back to what you initialy said....it makes no sense, when looked at deeply. our world, the one each of us has, is cobbled together by part truths in the mostly subjective manner prefered, occassionaly crashing into an unavoidable objective truth that blows things apart, or someone elses subjective truth which will have the same affect. And pain results.

Yes, people need a purpose. Seems to be wired in the species. Can't live life without some kind of activity, physical, mental, or both. How much of the reason for any purpose is the goal of happiness?
Anyone ever notice the lack of use of the words, contentment/satisfaction?

BlueSky
04-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Smith: Why, Mr. Anderson, why, why? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something, for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception! Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose! And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although, only a human mind could create something as insipid as love! You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson, you must know it by now, you can't win! It's pointless to keep fighting! Why, Mr. Anderson, why?! Why do you persist?!

Neo: Because I choose to.

Silver
04-09-2012, 04:04 PM
You're mad. If you win the lottery you can give it to me, I will be happy, heh.

Well, then...you're about to be sad because you took that out of context! Try reading the whole thing, even though rainbows and being happy as an innocent child seemingly have nothing to do with winning the lottery. Uh, no - I'm keeping it when I win. But I might be willing to share just a little.
:hug:

And WS, I've been thinking about snippets of The Matrix movie lately. Nice post.:glasses1:

Neville
04-09-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't understand many things..It's a good job that my understanding of these things is not mandatory.

Also known as..

I'm sorry I haven't a clue.

BlueSky
04-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Well, then...you're about to be sad because you took that out of context! Try reading the whole thing, even though rainbows and being happy as an innocent child seemingly have nothing to do with winning the lottery. Uh, no - I'm keeping it when I win. But I might be willing to share just a little.
:hug:

And WS, I've been thinking about snippets of The Matrix movie lately. Nice post.:glasses1:

It's been on a lot lately so I'm loving it! I think we create the world we want in our minds and from there it becomes reality. I also think there is a need to.
"What is" is empty.

Silver
04-09-2012, 04:42 PM
It's been on a lot lately so I'm loving it! I think we create the world we want in our minds and from there it becomes reality. I also think there is a need to.
"What is" is empty.

Great movie. I often play the part over in my mind where Mr. Smith is talking about how humans are like a virus.

BlueSky
04-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Great movie. I often play the part over in my mind where Mr. Smith is talking about how humans are like a virus.

Definately one of the most memorable scenes! Personally I like the red pill/blue pill scene the best.

Silver
04-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Definately one of the most memorable scenes! Personally I like the red pill/blue pill scene the best.

Guess I'll have to add that to my list of movie dvd's I gotta re-watch this week.:smile:

Henri77
04-09-2012, 07:25 PM
For most of us , the mind is never truly content.

It may be temporarily satiated, but like a baby, soon is whining for attention-satisfaction.

It seems like a rudderless powerboat randomly creating pretty waves, and then running off crashing into things.
Moving simply to avoid boredom.

Gem
05-09-2012, 09:22 AM
The reason for the question about the rainbow, that in spite of insistance by the senses that it exists as a 3 dimensional object, no one has ever seen the back of a rainbow, or stood under one. It's 3 dimensional existance is a subjective experience.
Objectively it can be explained. But that objectivity is in itself subject to the translation by the subjective experience of the rainbow.

Its like they say 'the name is not the named'. The story which explains the rainbow is long and is eventually lost in the well of quantum uncertainty.

It comes back to what you initialy said....it makes no sense, when looked at deeply. our world, the one each of us has, is cobbled together by part truths in the mostly subjective manner prefered, occassionaly crashing into an unavoidable objective truth that blows things apart, or someone elses subjective truth which will have the same affect. And pain results.

Life does have the knack of throwing a good curveball...

Yes, people need a purpose. Seems to be wired in the species. Can't live life without some kind of activity, physical, mental, or both. How much of the reason for any purpose is the goal of happiness?
Anyone ever notice the lack of use of the words, contentment/satisfaction?

Very good point. Contentment is a word I like a lot, but rarely hear.

Happiness is what people want, and it's elating... and somehow simply being content seems to be a pale and bland comparison, however I believe there's a great depth to contentment... and happiness is such a fleeting thing.

Er.... in the words of Jagger, 'I can't get no satisfaction'.

sesheta
05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Edgar Allan Poe

Gem
07-09-2012, 02:35 AM
For most of us , the mind is never truly content.

It may be temporarily satiated, but like a baby, soon is whining for attention-satisfaction.

It seems like a rudderless powerboat randomly creating pretty waves, and then running off crashing into things.
Moving simply to avoid boredom.

The mind is like a reaction tool. Something happens and it responds. That is experienced and memorized so we say 'it happened to me', and we are the whole of our life, as the past leads to here.

I contemplate, for want of something better to do, that all the experience of the past is drawn upon now, and who I am is formed by what I lived through.

There were great rejoices and also tragedies, and these will be what the future holds too... life's ups and downs.

Boredom is something which I have largely overcome, because my knack of feeling the life of me has become more intense. It's actually amazing how entertaining life is, there's never a mediocre moment... it's just seethingly alive.