PDA

View Full Version : What Is Reiki?

EmergingPath
03-10-2010, 09:33 PM
What is Reiki?
The word Reiki means “universal life energy”. It is made up of two Japanese words, rei, which means "universal spirit" and ki, which means "life-force".

Reiki is a technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing and overall well-being. It is based on the theory that an unseen "life force energy" flows through everything and everyone in the universe. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.

A few key points about how this energy works:
The availability of this universal energy is limitless and is energizing for the provider as well as the receiver. Providing Reiki does not draw on the provider’s own energy or life force. It is a process of inviting and allowing the energy to flow through. No forcing or “trying” is required; in fact, it gets in the way of the natural flow.

Anyone can do it. Everyone has the innate ability to channel this energy. With practice, this ability is enhanced.The receiver is responsible for their treatment. The goal of the Reiki provider is to help the receiver to heal him/her self. The receiver will either accept or block the flow of energy. It is also reassuring to know that the energy will go just where it is needed, regardless of where the provider is applying it.

What Reiki Is:

Always available.
Easy to use.
An individual experience.
Restorative and balances natural energy.
For maintaining positive wellness and helping the healing process.
Safe to use anytime, any place, any situation and it cannot be used to manipulate or control. It is gift of increased energy and vitality that can be extended to anyone.
For all and it doesn’t matter what a person’s gender, race, intelligence, or financial status is. Reiki is not a healing energy reserved only for the elite, wealthy, educated, or spiritually evolved.
“Smart energy” and it knows which areas of the body most need healing with no mental involvement of either the practitioner or the recipient. However, when mental intention is used, a linear pathway is opened and allows Reiki to flow more effectively to that part of the body where attention is most desired.
A powerful tool with principles that are spiritual in nature which can encourage personal development and spiritual growth and empowerment.
What Reiki Is Not:

A religion or cult.
A form of mind control or hypnosis.
Difficult to use.
A massage technique.
Just for when you are ill.
Limited to a select few people.

LotusMalas
04-10-2010, 06:25 PM
What a fantastic summary of what Reiki is! Thank you!

I'm often asked about Reiki and this post has some very succinct points about Reiki that I can offer.

Medb
04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
A great summary indeed :)

I also keep something similar on my website for those who are interested in Reiki, but who don't know much about it.

Adrienne
05-10-2010, 11:52 PM
so Brother Path, I am wondering, can one energize themself with Reiki or does it have to be sent from another ?

" smart energy ", I could use some of that. Do you practice Reiki ?

Dream Angel xx

EmergingPath
06-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Sista Dream,
Reiki self treatments are absolutly the first thing that is taught in Reiki (well, after the obligatory history and blah blah stuff :wink: ).

Yes, I practice Reiki and actually consider it as part of my everyday "lifestyle" which is really based on the concepts of all in life is about intention and focused thought. I teach Reiki as well as Meditation as a "hobby" as well

You should give it a try if you ever get the chance, it changed my life 4 years ago and put me on a path that I will never regret. :smile:

innerlight
06-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Sista Dream,
Reiki self treatments are absolutly the first thing that is taught in Reiki (well, after the obligatory history and blah blah stuff :wink: ).

Yes, I practice Reiki and actually consider it as part of my everyday "lifestyle" which is really based on the concepts of all in life is about intention and focused thought. I teach Reiki as well as Meditation as a "hobby" as well

You should give it a try if you ever get the chance, it changed my life 4 years ago and put me on a path that I will never regret. :smile:

Brotha Path,

Wonder if I should say, "Preach it brotha?" :D

Do you self heal on a daily basis, or from time to time?

Leah85
06-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Dream Angel, you can apply the energy on yourself since you are attuned to it (Level I). It shall be done by a Master which is someone that accomplished the Three Reiki Levels.
Everyone who is a Reiki practicioner may send you energy at any distance since the moment they accomplish the Level II. But of course the experience will be more intense when it is made personally.
Reiki can also be sent for past and future events, since everything is happening in the ETERNAL NOW.
Reiki doesn't magically change one's life, and doesn't prevent you from going through the hard times, but it will help you a lot and makes you feel more "connected" to everything that surrounds you and helps you to become a healer of yourself and the others too. It is a way of see and be in life, and it lays on five Principles:

I - Just for today, I will not worry.
II - Just for today, I will not be angry.
III - Just for today, I will be grateful.
IV - Just for today, I will do my work honestly.
V - Just for today, I will be kind to every living thing.

So, in order to be balanced, a Reiki practicioner (as everyone else, as a matter a fact) should live having these in mind every single day. Part of the healing resides in these, since it makes you more prone to receive the healing energies.

Namaste! :wink:
Leah :cat:

Adrienne
06-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Thank you for your reply Brother Path, makes sense to practice first on ones self. So many areas of interest, things I would like to learn how to do, and never enough time to do it all. How does one choose ?

Adrienne
06-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Thank you Leah for sharing that information with me !

blessings,
Dream Angel xx

EmergingPath
06-10-2010, 04:58 AM
Do you self heal on a daily basis, or from time to time?
Yo Brother Inns,
For me Reiki is seriously part of my lifestyle, so to answer your question I practice self Reiki daily, typically after exercise and before meditation.

My HA 15 months ago was a "its time to walk the talk" event for me and my recent 4 month sabatical that I just concluded allowed me to get very clear on my life, what I want it to be and how I choose to live it going forward.

So, yes, self Reiki daily... It's not just for breakfast any more :rolleyes:

EmergingPath
06-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Thank you for your reply Brother Path, makes sense to practice first on ones self. So many areas of interest, things I would like to learn how to do, and never enough time to do it all. How does one choose ?

I think one needs to first decide what is important in their life and then learn and do those things that support those life choices.

And that does not mean to do those things to the exclusion of everything else, just make your choices a priority in your life.

Probably the single biggest lesson I have (re) learned is "Everything in moderation". The whole "Candy is great but too much will rot your teeth" kinda thing.

So, make a list of all the things you think you would like to learn or try and then go back and see which of those support your choices about what is important in your life and start with those...

Just my opinion Sista Dream.
Good luck with your choices and let me know if I can help :smile:

Adrienne
06-10-2010, 05:14 AM
Thank you for your suggestions. :smile:

I remember when I first joined the forum, so many topics of interest. One cannot read or keep up with them all, but I did try, lol ! At that time Inner suggested I choose a few to focus on, which I have done. But there is still a curiosity for other topics . A curious mind is a good thing to have, I guess.

Yes, balance is the key in many situations, experiences, life in general.

Dream Angel xx

EmergingPath
06-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Agreed. I've spent much time focusing on Intention and checking out many associated modalities beyond Reiki, such as many of the Pagan (Wiccan, shaman, and general neo-pagan aspects such as Tarot and divining) perspectives as well as Quantum Physics (such as Lynn McTaggarts books) and Gregg Braden and Bruce Lipton, Eckhart Tolle and Wayne Dyer books who all touch on or focus on intention and staying "awake" and in the present and aware of our thoughts and focused intentions...

I have also dabbled in EFT, Quantum Light Weaving, Past life Regressions, Between Life Regressions, and several other concepts or modalities...

And I cant do them all even though my interests are huge.

Ultimately I just do what makes me happy and what lights my fire :D

Adrienne
06-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Ultimately I just do what makes me happy and what lights my fire :D

And that is a great idea ! :smile:

WOW ! On all your interests and dabblings ! And I thought I had quite a few, not quite as many as you.

I have also read many of the books of W.Dyer and other Intention and Manifesting authors.

ohhh, I am interested in the Past life regressions too, but that is another topic.

ces
06-10-2010, 05:46 AM
I'd say that Reiki has definintely changed and improved my life. I would go as far as saying that although unknown at the time when I moved to where I live now - in the background it was to meet my reiki master.

It can be a difficult journey, as you learn about letting go, trust and what/how reiki feels for the individual. It is definitely worth it and although I don't use it every day I know its there and can when I need to.

:D

Adrienne
06-10-2010, 05:57 AM
very cool ces ! :smile:

EmergingPath
06-10-2010, 06:16 AM
It can be a difficult journey, as you learn about letting go, trust and what/how reiki feels for the individual. It is definitely worth it and although I don't use it every day I know its there and can when I need to.

:D

And you stuck with it, even when you doubted, and now it looks like you have "come out the other side" well and healthy

You are my hero ces :hug2:

innerlight
06-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Yo Brother Inns,
For me Reiki is seriously part of my lifestyle, so to answer your question I practice self Reiki daily, typically after exercise and before meditation.

My HA 15 months ago was a "its time to walk the talk" event for me and my recent 4 month sabatical that I just concluded allowed me to get very clear on my life, what I want it to be and how I choose to live it going forward.

So, yes, self Reiki daily... It's not just for breakfast any more :rolleyes:

Hey Brotha, (sounds like Hulk Hogan)

That is good that you were able to use downtime to really focus on your life, and where you are going. I am currently in the same process. I have been attuned for 3 years now, but never used a daily regimen. I will admit it. I used it when I needed it. Though my healing, even though attuned to Reiki, I use more of a spiritual healing as I seldom use the symbols, and just focus more on channelling from source.

Just recently I started a daily self healing regimen.

EmergingPath
06-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey Brotha, (sounds like Hulk Hogan)

That is good that you were able to use downtime to really focus on your life, and where you are going. I am currently in the same process. I have been attuned for 3 years now, but never used a daily regimen. I will admit it. I used it when I needed it. Though my healing, even though attuned to Reiki, I use more of a spiritual healing as I seldom use the symbols, and just focus more on channelling from source.

Just recently I started a daily self healing regimen.

Yo Bro Inns,
Ya, I seldom use symbols for my own work, always when teaching or with others but for me I too recognize the source does not need them or any prescribed "rituals" other than what feels right for you.

Huge fan of do what feels right and that no one knows ANY more about this topic than you can if you focus your time and thoughts on it.

Just my opinion :headbang:

ces
06-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I love the fact that with the symbols you connect so quickly to reiki. I use it as an emergency switch for headaches etc. :D.

I need to get back into self treating - the discussion has given me the kick I needed - thanks. cesx

Perspective
12-10-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm curious... what's the difference between Reiki & focused prayer or meditation? I was reading how Reiki typically is done on a massage table... why not get a massage? Muscles hold a lot of tension/feeling that can be even more healing to be worked through while talking.

EmergingPath
13-10-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm curious... what's the difference between Reiki & focused prayer or meditation? I was reading how Reiki typically is done on a massage table...
So, Reiki is energy healing, using your hands (for one on one) or just your intention of directed energy (for distance).

Prayer can have similar aspects with focused intention on an outcome and meditation is a broad term as there are many types of "meditation" (Vipassana, guided, concept, etc.) but none that I am aware of that are focused on "driving" a specific intention of energy healing modalities and prayer. I guess a guided meditation could have you visualize healing energy...

why not get a massage? Muscles hold a lot of tension/feeling that can be even more healing to be worked through while talking. That sounds great, love massages. But that would be a massage and not Reiki, eh? :smile:

Adrienne
13-10-2010, 02:42 AM
That sounds great, love massages. But that would be a massage and not Reiki, eh? :smile:

EP, interesting combination, love massages & Reiki in the same topic , LOL ! :tongue:

Perspective
14-10-2010, 03:19 PM
That sounds great, love massages. But that would be a massage and not Reiki, eh? :smile:
Exactly! It's like I come up to you like I'm going to hug you, but I just pretend to! "Ha ha - you thought you were getting a hug, didn't you?" :hug3: :wink:

Thanks for explaining more though. I have so much to learn about all of this spirituality stuff!

pre-dawn
21-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Reiki is a repackaged, Japanese version of Qi healing as promoted in Traditional Chinese Medicine and its Qigong practices.

Adrienne
04-09-2011, 01:49 AM

hello Emerging Path :smile:

I was re- reading your topic and I was wondering, how does Reiki know where to go if one is wanting a healing for a specific area ? And can one actually feel the Reiki or how does one know that it is working ?

And a question about your teaching Meditation, may I ask, do you have certain guided meditations that you have written or that you use ?

Dream Angel xx

pre-dawn
05-09-2011, 04:02 AM
I was re- reading your topic and I was wondering, how does Reiki know where to go if one is wanting a healing for a specific area ? And can one actually feel the Reiki or how does one know that it is working ?
Reki knows where to go because it goes everywhere. If Reiki would not be in your finger tips or foot then the tips or the foot would fall off, which means it is already, and always, there.
One knows that Reiki is working when one feels better, happier, content, at peace more than before. It doesn't really matter how this is achieved, a Reiki treatment or the medicine which your doctor may prescribe, because the medicine also contains Reiki.

IMO, one of the major problems in the Reiki community is that Reiki people want Reiki to be special, and of course much better than anything else. It isn't. It is plain ordinary, it even happens without us doing anything at all.

The point of Reiki practice and treatment is to manage this 'energy' to our benefit, for greater wisdom and health for oneself and others.

Adrienne
05-09-2011, 04:13 AM
Thank you pre-dawn for your reply. Not sure I go along with the idea of the Reiki being in medicine -

pre-dawn
05-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Thank you pre-dawn for your reply. Not sure I go along with the idea of the Reiki being in medicine -
Qi is in food, Qi is in the earth, the sky, the air and water, in herbs, beer and wine, although we may no hear about the latter 2 too often.:smile: If it is an all these things why should medicine be an exception?

You may have noted that I put 'energy' in quotation marks, because Reiki is much more than 'energy', it is amongst many more things an attitude, a belief, a way of meeting life, a way of relating. All these things are really Reiki too. They can give us 'energy' or not, the form part of the great web of existence.

To set Reiki apart from other things is the great mistake of Reiki today.

justreal
06-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Where kind if find Reiki exercises online? or books?

Adrienne
07-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Emerging Path, wow, almost a year since you posted in this thread, I didn't realize that . I thought you had returned, I must have been seeing things ... never mind my questions.

ces
07-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Emerging Path, wow, almost a year since you posted in this thread, I didn't realize that . I thought you had returned, I must have been seeing things ... never mind my questions.

Dreamie - you find what you need to know about or what you want to know about when teh time is right. Asking must be right for you.

Reiki - works to re-balance the body, mind and spirit. So it finds it way to the point at which it is needed. Quite handy if you are sending it over a distance and can't actually be with the person who is receiving. Say you had banged your big toe but didn't like being touched by someone. Reiki could be directed to the toe - without touching or if you were happy to have someone put their hands on your shoulders it would flow from you shoulders to the part that needed it the most (maybe your toe, or maybe somewhere else).

Reiki feels differently to each person. For me it can sometimes feel like an intense heat - like when you put a ho****er bottle to warm your toes up in bed. Othertimes it feels chilly and sometimes it feels like nothing at all.

When I pass reiki on it can have a similiar feel - sometimes warm, cold or nothing. The receiver may be experiecning something different. All individual to each person.

Reiki - can bring "stuff" to the surface, so people can become emotional, can feel dizzy or lightheaded. I was almost physically sick recently when I had some reiki something that has never happened before or since, but I knew what it was related too.:wink:

So it helps to balance us, it works for the good :-). Hopefully that assists in answering some of the questions.

Meditation - I know nothing about.

cesxx

Adrienne
07-09-2011, 06:17 PM
thanks Ces for sharing on the Reiki ~ not in the mood to meditate anyways

not sure about that finding out when the time is right idea ~ I could be waiting forever
I always have questions, the timing is never right

Dreamie xx