PDA

View Full Version : Walking back to good health...

knightofalbion
09-07-2012, 10:14 PM
The benefits of walking...

http://www.psychologies.co.uk/body/benefits-of-walking.html

Zero
12-07-2012, 11:15 AM
An extra hour of walking a day can have soooo many benefits, and it can easily be broken down into shorter walks. :D

CJ82Sky
13-07-2012, 01:10 AM
since i have horrible knees (mult surgeries, still have my L ACL to repair...) i do a jog/walk combination. i found that weight exercises weren't helping me lose weight because i was already strong, my muscles were strong from riding horses so much. it was cardio i lacked and the one thing i NEVER do is jog/run. since running would = injury, i started walk/jog intervals. depending on where i was, i'd walk about the length of a block, then jog a block, then walk one, jog one, etc. i found that i was able to do far more than i thought - and now can do about 2.5 mi in 30 min or less, and can do almost 4 miles with the first half walk/jog and the 2nd half walking on the beach with ease and without soreness the next day.

it can be discouraging that i've only lost about 5-10 pounds in the past few months of doing this (alternating with other exercises such as kettlebell, jumping jacks, etc.), but i know the more i keep it up, the more i will eventually lose and the more fit i am. on the days i am sore or tired from riding or hiking, i try to keep a decent pace at the walk and it still helps! :)

knightofalbion
13-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Another excellent article on the health benefits of walking...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-122898/Why-walking-workout-good-body.html

Shown
04-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Walk is simple exercise but it has lot of benefits. This is a simple way to get health and fitness. Walk keeps us fresh and active and also prevents us from many diseases. It makes out digestive system healthy.

psychoslice
04-09-2012, 06:40 AM
And it doesn't wear your joints out like running.

Adrienne
04-09-2012, 09:57 AM
I know walking is good for you, but it is so boring.

Gem
04-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Awesome .

sesheta
04-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I tend to hate walking, myself...but when the weather is nice, I do it anyway! I'll walk to the post office, library, etc - to go from my front door, to the post office and back takes me about 20 minutes (I'm a fast walker, though, lol!) And it can be boring - but I always find things along the way to appreciate - flowers/plants in someone's yard, being out in the sunshine, enjoying a refreshing breeze cooling my face.....it's more about paying attention to the environment around me than it is about the actual walking, I think!
When the weather isn't nice, I have a step machine that I can use at home - so I'll hop on that while listening to music, or watching TV. It gives a bit of a better workout, too, because I can adjust the resistance....

knightofalbion
04-09-2012, 05:41 PM
I know walking is good for you, but it is so boring.

It is a world of wonder! There are so many amazing and beautiful things to marvel at...

knightofalbion
04-09-2012, 05:49 PM
I always think that walking is the best form of exercise. Anyone can do it, no matter what their age.

It's a great cardio and circulationary workout, and exposure to fresh air and sunshine will do you the power of good.

Exercise of all forms reduces your risk of cancer and other diseases. Brisk walking especially has been shown, in a study, to reduce breast cancer risk. (I guess that could be something to do with pumping oxygen through the system - cancer cannot survive in a high oxygen environment - and also vitamin D, from sun exposure, is also known to reduce cancer risk, especially breast and prostate cancer.)

sesheta
04-09-2012, 05:53 PM
It is a world of wonder! There are so many amazing and beautiful things to marvel at...

Exactly what I was getting at :smile:

When I walk, I find myself constantly looking around me - smiling at a bird sitting on a tree branch, or a butterfly floating by on the breeze. Thinking how lovely someone's garden looks; inhaling the smell of a lilac bush.....this is what distracts you from the boredom of the actual walk....

Spiritlite
05-09-2012, 02:56 AM
Walking connects me to nature, I often take a 30 minute walk during the sunset so that my chakras close down and it relaxes me....
Spiritlite.

Aden
13-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Walking is so effective exercise for health and wellness. It lowers your body fat and improves muscle tone. Walking improves athletic speed and performance. It also increases your stamina.

Kenneath
22-06-2013, 06:50 AM
Hi Knightofalbion,
Great link on the health benefits of walking and like to add walk reduces the risk of heart attack by half as walk increase the strength of your heart and lungs. Oxygen inhaled while walking results great amount of energy especially to your joints so ideal to deal with joint and muscular problems. Walk reduce cholesterol level and prevent from depression, stress and anxiety.