PDA

View Full Version : Spiritual Films

knightofalbion
28-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Seen any films with a spiritually enlightening and/or uplifting theme to them?

Two I'd highly recommend are:

The Lovely Bones

and

What Dreams May Come

Squatchit
28-06-2012, 10:45 AM
I like both those films knight. What Dreams May Come is awesome. :smile:

Having a big interest in dreaming, Vanilla Sky rocks my world.

norseman
28-06-2012, 10:55 AM
"Dogma" ! Hard-core spiritual without all the religious drivel.

Arcturus
28-06-2012, 12:19 PM
i thought the film Stigmata had some good messages...for instance

Frankie: Jesus said... the Kingdom of God is inside you, and all around you, not in mansions of wood and stone. Split a piece of wood... and I am there, lift a stone... and you will find me.

it reminded me of the J Krishnamurti quote::

Go down to the sea of an evening when the fresh breezes are blowing and all the blades of grass are in motion and the particles of sand are flying about and the trees are waving their branches, and the waves of the sea are breaking over each other. You want to gather and bind all that beauty into a narrow temple. You need have no beliefs in order to live nobly. An yet you say, "I must worship gods, I must perform rites, I must go to shrines, I must follow this and do that". It is an eternal must. That way of living is not living at all.

merrie
05-07-2012, 12:09 AM
I was eager to see the movie, "The Tree of Life" when it was released to HBO. It is quite an unusual spiritual movie. The actors were Brad Pitt and Sean Penn.

I would like to know if anyone else viewed it and what they thought about it.?

It was almost poetic in its presentation of beautiful background music and lovely scenery.

Reading reviews, it was not everybody's "cup of tea".

It talked about "grace and nature" and how it helped to shape the life of a man who uses his childhood memories to awaken him spiritually.

Joseph123
05-07-2012, 11:57 PM
You'll think that this is stupid, but a movie from which I received a great amount of enlightenment was the Adam Sandler picture, "Click."

Sarian
06-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I did not see the movie The Lovely Bones, but read the book. It was okay. I didn't find it uplifting, however. Just very sad.

I have What Dreams May Come, but honestly I hated the movie oddly enough.

I remember watching "Always" with Richard Dryfuss and Holly Hunter and loved that movie.

I'm sure there are movies that I found greatly uplifting in a spiritual sense, but right at the moment, I'm drawing a blank. I did just finish watching a documentary on youtube that Topaz posted and found that extremely uplifting for me.

amy green
14-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Here is a soundbite (7 mins) called:

Spiritual Awakening - get ready for earth changes (kind of a wake up call)

http://www.youtube.com/user/eclairsdeconscience?v=PXqCLZE0NdA

knightofalbion
14-07-2012, 10:30 PM
[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Indigo"]I did not see the movie The Lovely Bones, but read the book. It was okay. I didn't find it uplifting, however. Just very sad.

I have What Dreams May Come, but honestly I hated the movie oddly enough.

What Dreams May Come is a film for incurable romantics!

The Lovely Bones has a dark side. It explores all aspects of the human condition - good and evl, joy and sorrow, life and death. But if you stay with it to the end it is ultimately a very positive, uplifting film.

Both films made full use of advances in cinematography and were beautifully done, the afterlife scenes especially.

knightofalbion
14-07-2012, 10:33 PM
And we can't forget the 1946 classic 'It's a Wonderful Life' with James Stewart. The ultimate feel good movie.
A reminder of the differences we can make to people's lives, for the better, by simple acts of kindness.

amy green
14-07-2012, 10:42 PM
And we can't forget the 1946 classic 'It's a Wonderful Life' with James Stewart. The ultimate feel good movie.
A reminder of the differences we can make to people's lives, for the better, by simple acts of kindness.

Ah yes, what a heartwarming, thought provoking film that was. A kind of "what if..." scenario. Splendid. James Stewart was perfectly cast for this.

I heard they were trying (or did?) use new technology on it to make it into colour...I doubt if that was a good decision. :nono: :sign12:

Sarian
15-07-2012, 02:20 AM
What Dreams May Come is a film for incurable romantics!

The Lovely Bones has a dark side. It explores all aspects of the human condition - good and evl, joy and sorrow, life and death. But if you stay with it to the end it is ultimately a very positive, uplifting film.

Both films made full use of advances in cinematography and were beautifully done, the afterlife scenes especially.
I really thought I'd love the movie (and I always considered myself a romantic sap), but something troubled me by it. Maybe it was that they could change the way they looked at any given time and make their surroundings whatever they wanted. The changing the way they looked bothered me the most. ...I just felt that it was an imagination fairytale land and it made me sad. Unless I have the wrong movie in mind??

Dragonfly1
15-07-2012, 04:53 AM
I was eager to see the movie, "The Tree of Life" when it was released to HBO. It is quite an unusual spiritual movie. The actors were Brad Pitt and Sean Penn.

It was almost poetic in its presentation of beautiful background music and lovely scenery.

It talked about "grace and nature" and how it helped to shape the life of a man who uses his childhood memories to awaken him spiritually.

I seen it, it was unusual and beautiful............

wondering
16-07-2012, 11:07 PM
If you like films that are rather surreal, then check out "Mr. Nobody". Here's a synopsis of the movie from Rotten Tomatoes:

A man close to death ponders the many lives he might have led in this fantasy from director and screenwriter Jaco van Dormael. 117-year-old Nemo Nobody (Jared Leto) is ill and facing his last days as he looks back on his past and a particular crucial moment -- at the age of nine, Nemo's parents divorced, and as his mother (Natasha Little) and father (Rhys Ifans) stood on a train platform, he had to choose who he would go with, and whether he would live in the United States or Great Britain. Either choice would bring with it a wide variety of possibilities regarding the sort of life he would lead, and Nemo imagines nearly all of them, including two different wives -- sweet but emotionally blank Jeanne (Linh-Dan Pham) and lovely but troubled Elise (Sarah Polley) -- and another woman, Anna (Diane Kruger), who he loves but can not marry. But as Nemo considers the many different paths his life could have taken, his memory begins to fail him, and he finds it increasingly difficult to be certain which was his real life and which is a product of his imagination.

I saw about 3/4 of the film...unfortunately missed the last part...but it was quite thought-provoking and interesting.

amy green
16-07-2012, 11:23 PM
If you like films that are rather surreal, then check out "Mr. Nobody". Here's a synopsis of the movie from Rotten Tomatoes:

A man close to death ponders the many lives he might have led in this fantasy from director and screenwriter Jaco van Dormael. 117-year-old Nemo Nobody (Jared Leto) is ill and facing his last days as he looks back on his past and a particular crucial moment -- at the age of nine, Nemo's parents divorced, and as his mother (Natasha Little) and father (Rhys Ifans) stood on a train platform, he had to choose who he would go with, and whether he would live in the United States or Great Britain. Either choice would bring with it a wide variety of possibilities regarding the sort of life he would lead, and Nemo imagines nearly all of them, including two different wives -- sweet but emotionally blank Jeanne (Linh-Dan Pham) and lovely but troubled Elise (Sarah Polley) -- and another woman, Anna (Diane Kruger), who he loves but can not marry. But as Nemo considers the many different paths his life could have taken, his memory begins to fail him, and he finds it increasingly difficult to be certain which was his real life and which is a product of his imagination.

I saw about 3/4 of the film...unfortunately missed the last part...but it was quite thought-provoking and interesting.

Wondering - if you can access youtube, they have the whole film there ... so you can watch the last part you missed. :smile:

knightofalbion
15-08-2012, 10:09 PM
I really thought I'd love the movie (and I always considered myself a romantic sap), but something troubled me by it. Maybe it was that they could change the way they looked at any given time and make their surroundings whatever they wanted. The changing the way they looked bothered me the most. ...I just felt that it was an imagination fairytale land and it made me sad. Unless I have the wrong movie in mind??

I don't remember that bit? Maybe you're thinking of another film? Robin Williams played the male lead in WDMC.

In the spirit world we can alter our surroundings through thought, so there is more than a grain of truth to it.

richag77
22-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Here are a few of my favorite spiritual films;

The nines

City of Joy

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior

American History X

American Beauty

All great spiritual films. We need to ask Hollywood to make more like these.

bloke
22-08-2012, 03:31 PM
I watched The Way (Martin Sheen/Emilio Estevez) recently and quite enjoyed it.

NightSky
23-08-2012, 05:08 AM
Two that come to mind are The Fountain and The Celestine Prophecy.

Arcturus
23-08-2012, 08:13 PM
I watched The Way (Martin Sheen/Emilio Estevez) recently and quite enjoyed it.

yeah i liked that un

Ludovico
02-09-2012, 12:31 AM
I recommend everyone to watch this movie called "The Russian Ark". Very spiritual in my opinion.

coolchic101
24-10-2012, 05:15 AM

The nines

City of Joy

American History X

American Beauty

I've seen American History X because I had a huge crush on Edward Norton back in the day. However, I don't see how that could be a spiritual uplifting film when it deals with skinheads and homicide. Maybe I'm missing something there.

DoctorStrange
24-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Another great spiritual film is:

The Fountain
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/

Squatchit
24-10-2012, 09:03 AM

The Fountain

I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve that film! :hug3:

amy green
24-10-2012, 01:39 PM

The Fountain
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/

Better yet....you can watch the whole film here on youtube (1 hour 36 mins)

http://youtu.be/3CTECzJTK7c

coolchic101
25-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Better yet....you can watch the whole film here on youtube (1 hour 36 mins)

http://youtu.be/3CTECzJTK7c

Thank you for the link! :smile:
Watching it now.....

DoctorStrange
25-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Little Buddah
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107426/

Wonderful Film!

Kaere
25-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Little Buddah
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107426/ (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Ftitle%2 Ftt0107426%2F)

Wonderful Film!

I liked this one very much, no one else seemed to :cool:

The Fountain, one of my absolute favourites now. Each time, there's something new.

DoctorStrange
25-10-2012, 05:27 PM
I've seen American History X because I had a huge crush on Edward Norton back in the day. However, I don't see how that could be a spiritual uplifting film when it deals with skinheads and homicide. Maybe I'm missing something there.

One could argue and ask the question: What drives a person to be so white and black in their thought processes, and what drives them to do what they do ? In that sense, it's a very good lesson in psychology (of some sort) :D

DoctorStrange
29-10-2012, 05:39 PM
The following i have not seen, but are deemed spiritual, and very good

The Man from Earth
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

The Celestine Prophecy
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398842/

amy green
02-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Powder - an unusual story of a reclusive, gifted albino who is suddenly thrust into our world... Moving, powerful,
thought-provoking.

Here it is - 1 hour 47 mins

http://youtu.be/QHh1108IRGU

DoctorStrange
02-11-2012, 11:17 AM
I loved Powder. Very sad, but still extremely good!

Dancing_Butterflies
06-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Did anyone like The Presence or Lake Mungo?

sunshineofthesoul
07-11-2012, 07:14 PM
I loved the Last Mimzy.

coolchic101
09-11-2012, 06:28 AM
I highly recommend watching "Touched By An Angel". It is a tv series that ran for 9 seasons. I love the show because it is good and wholesome for your soul. The show is somewhat religious. Since I'm not a religious person, only spiritual, I like the messages behind it.

You can watch full episodes here: http://veehd.com/search?q=touched+by+an+angel+

merrie
09-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I highly recommend watching "Touched By An Angel". It is a tv series that ran for 9 seasons. I love the show because it is good and wholesome for your soul. The show is somewhat religious. Since I'm not a religious person, only spiritual, I like the messages behind it.

You can watch full episodes here: http://veehd.com/search?q=touched+by+an+angel+

Great show, highlighting simple, basic truths. Truly uplifting for the soul.

merrie
09-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Beyond Rangoon is a great movie, staring Patricia Arquette. It is about personal loss, suffering and serving others.

coolchic101
10-11-2012, 02:12 AM
Another good movie is "Sunshine Cleaning". I think it is a spiritual film because it is about a young single mother who has a lot of challenges to face while holding her head above water. She goes into a crime scene cleaning business with her mentally unstable sister; she is also a caregiver of her intricate dad; she has to deal with her son's learning disability; and last, she has to deal with her son's married father.

Watch it here: http://veehd.com/video/4525727_Sunshine-Cleaning-2009

magonia
14-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Indigo, Conversations with God, The Village is a good film as well. Didn't think I would like it, but there is a good story behind it.

WillowMyst
19-11-2012, 08:07 AM
The Unmistaken Child is a heartwarming Tibetan Buddhist film that I really enjoyed. Made me cry at some points, and was extremely inspiring. Gives a nice view on a monk's lifestyle and surroundings.
Oh, and you can watch it on Netflix. :)
"This film follows the journey of a Buddhist monk as he travels far and wide to identify the child who is the reincarnation of his deceased master."

American Beauty and The Fountain are ones I've seen, they're both so great. Not sure if this one fits the bill, but Meet Joe Black is pretty good too.

sunshineofthesoul
18-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal is pretty spiritual in nature.

Mei
16-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Samsara (2001) - tibetan buddhism
there is another one with this title but from 2011, I havent seen it yet.

Fujiwara Kaito
16-01-2013, 05:53 PM
The life of zen master Dogen and Kuro-Obi

psychoslice
16-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Life of pi, a great movie for all those who are mixed up with religion, and don't know which on is right.

maxmagician
18-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Johnathon Livingston Seagull is one of my favourite spiritual films, originally a book by Richard Bach. Pays to read the book first as it gives good insight into the film, but not a necessity. It's relatively short.
Some very lovely nature scenes throughout and a well told story of the spiritual journey. Neil Diamond did the soundtrack, very inspiring film.
Peaceful Warrior is another fave, tho it's been mentioned previously. The book is titled: Way Of The Peaceful Warrior.
Bruce Almighty,
Evan Almighty,
Mr Destiny,
Seven Years In Tibet,
Interstate 60.
Oh, and Aladdin is a big favourite. Princess Jasmine can have my heart anyday.

maxmagician
18-02-2013, 06:57 PM

TruthSayer
24-02-2013, 03:27 AM
I know it's been 22 years, and it wasn't entirely accurate, but still full of metaphysical info and very, very entertaining:

GHOST :blob3:

"Oh, my love, my darling, I hunger for your touch, this long and lonely night. . . "

And I agree, Sunshine, The Dark Crystal is loaded with mysticism and was Jim Henson's masterpiece.

Smiles, :angel13:

Saggi
24-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Dunno if it's considered spiritual, certainly thought provoking,,,

Perfect Sense

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx

nishnash
21-03-2013, 11:04 PM
I like "peaceful warrior", "The Celestine Prophecy"

Nada
22-03-2013, 02:09 AM
A Gifted Man - This is a TV show so has several seasons of shows. I watched them in Netflix and I liked the show.

Seven minutes in Heaven - made in Israel and in Hebrew. (No, I am not jewish. You may have to block out the political issue in that region and try to just focus on theme.)

A human Being
12-06-2013, 12:32 PM

The nines

City of Joy

American History X

American Beauty

I love AB, one of my all-time favourite films. Particularly this quote:

I guess I could be pretty ****ed off about what happened to me, but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst. And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain, and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life. You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry. You will someday.

Isn't that what awakening's all about?

I'm also a big Tarkovsky fan - his films can be hard work at times, but they leave an indelible imprint on your mind :smile:

Saggi
15-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Phenomenon

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx

deepsea
15-06-2013, 04:18 PM
The book of What Dreams may Come was written by Richard Mathieson.

Taken solely from research in spiritualism. True proof of spirit was used in the story. Fantastic book.

Deepsea.

Native spirit
16-06-2013, 12:23 PM
:smile: The green mile is a good one to watch

Namaste

deepsea
16-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Excellent book,Native spirit.....

deepsea

Golden Angel
25-06-2013, 09:25 PM
city of angels
;)
Love GA x

DoctorStrange
03-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Films by the following two directors are certainly worth a watch:

M. Night Shyamalan

The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Lady in the Water... to name a few

Darren Aronofsky

Requiem for a Dream
The Fountain

Probably the two most spiritual directors in hollywood.

alexa_summer
07-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Enter the void would be my personal number 1 pick.
and also "the fountain" is very good. I would recommend.

sydneynsw2000
09-07-2013, 10:39 PM
This is a great reference , thanks, it's hard to find spiritually related films , my favourite so far is "What Dreams May Come"

workinprogress
10-07-2013, 12:10 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.bvonmovies.com/media/2010/10/hereafter-poster-1.jpg

Everyone on here should see this movie.

4evermonk
15-07-2013, 05:40 AM
I'm glad you reminded me of this movie (Tree of Life). I saw it when it came out. It was perhaps the only movie I remember ever seeing that seemed to be completely built upon feeling. If you find it hard to slow down and enjoy the feeling that comes from within this is not the movie for you. I remember being immersed in feeling from the beginning till the end. At one point I thought to myself that without connecting to the feeling, that the producer was attempting to convey, the movie would hardly make sense. So much of the film is contained in the quietness. I can't think of anything quite like it. It was remarkable.

Zyther
16-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Spiritually enlightening films for me were mainly:

The Neverending Story
The Polar Express
Rise of the Guardians

Tsuga
12-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Solaris

"There are no answers. Only choices." - Gibarian

Gryneos
12-10-2013, 04:39 AM
Which version of Solaris? I prefer the Russian version, Solyaris. It may be slow, but it's compelling, and so weird! :D

Adrienne
12-10-2013, 06:42 AM
I don't think I've seen either version, but I have heard many prefer the Russian version.

Some interesting sounding movies here, I should check them out.

DoctorStrange
12-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Which version of Solaris? I prefer the Russian version, Solyaris. It may be slow, but it's compelling, and so weird! :D

Solaris is fantastic. The Russian version is definitely the one to watch. :smile:

Neville
12-10-2013, 09:42 AM
August Rush as it encourages one to be aware of the sound all around, to consciously listen, which is to me a surprisingly good way to reach a natural sense of being in the moment.

Tsuga
12-10-2013, 03:10 PM
The Russian version is definitely the one to watch. :smile:

I've yet to see the Russian version.

There is a fascinating scene when George Clooney's character sees his future wife for the first time on a train. (She is holding a doorknob on her lap). As she leaves the train there is a hand-print that appears to be part of an advertisment poster on the wall, that is, until she passes by revealing it to be a piece of graffiti on the glass partition. Hand-prints pop up from time to time throughout the film!

Also, it's interesting to note that the Solaris space station is named Prometheus. The same name as the spaceship from the latest Alien film. The reason I mention this is that some of the scenes of Earth (in Solaris) reminded me of Ridley Scott's Bladerunner - and Decker's freeze frame detective work!

Solaris can be viewed in similar fashion.

Gryneos
13-10-2013, 09:52 AM
I've never sat down and watched the remake of Solaris, mostly because I've seen the original often enough that I'd be distracted by what the remake got "wrong."

It's kind of like how, recently, I watched Bride of Frankenstein. I found I couldn't seriously watch it without laughing due to how many times I've seen Young Frankenstein :D

Similarly, I discovered I simply could not watch City of Angels due to my love of Wings of Desire (by Wim Wenders.) And Wings of Desire is an excellent spiritual film for those that have never heard of it :smile:

dronelocker
18-10-2013, 06:04 PM
I don't know do anybody watched that movie....
It's called "Powder"
Its a movie from '80-'90s
About a albino bold boy with super-powers.
Screw the super-powers part - this movie is the most beautifull i ever seen.

Smiler
18-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Little Miss Sunshine

The Book of Eli

Notebook

Cloud Atlas ..(and many others that are thought provoking and uplifting)

Shallow Hal

Swami Chihuahuananda
31-10-2013, 03:40 AM
The Fountain :D (if I haven't mentioned it this month)

ralfy
31-10-2013, 02:19 PM
My favorites include Andrei Rublev, The Apu Trilogy, Atanarjuat, Au Hasard Balthazar, Babette's Feast, Baraka, The Burmese Harp, Chariots of Fire, Day of Wrath, Days of Heaven, Decalogue, Dersu Uzala, Grave of the Fireflies, La Dolce Vita, The Elephant Man, Faust (dir. Murnau), Fires on the Plain, Ikiru, Jean de Florette, Koyaanisqatsi, The Diary of a Country Priest, The Bicycle Thieves, The Flowers of St. Francis, The Human Condition (trilogy), Into Great Silence, A Man Escaped, The Mission, A Man for All Seasons, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Samsara, The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Solaris (1972), Stalker, The Straight Story, The Sweet Hereafter, The Tricolor Trilogy, Tokyo Story, Winter Light, Wings of Desire.

Legendgirl1982
26-11-2013, 10:18 PM
I liked the Lovely Bones, also The Fountain was good.

Nameless
27-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Michael -starring John Travolta

My favorite part - Battle!!!

linen53
02-12-2013, 05:18 PM
I checked my Netflix Movie Queue of movies I have already seen and these were my absolute favorites. Enjoy

Hereafter
Finding Neverland
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Hugo
The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant
The Devil's Arithmetic
Lifted
Green Dragon
Taking Chance
A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints
Romulus, My Father
Good Night, Mr Tom
Big Fish
Ann Frank: The Whole Story
Knockout
The Dwelling Place
Forever Strong
Two Soldiers
Something The Lord Made
Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
The Other F Word
Longford

thriftyarek888
23-01-2014, 03:52 AM
Digging for the Truth is good.

Lilyth Von Gore
24-01-2014, 08:11 PM
I love The Book of Eli.

Nameless
12-04-2014, 04:02 AM
I just watched, The Answer Man. It was really good, a feel good movie.

BlackBear
19-04-2014, 02:16 PM
What Dreams May Come is one of my favorite movies ever. I'm not a hugely spiritual person as far as I can tell and my religious beliefs are a bit different but that film has stayed with me over the years. Amazing cinematography as well.

Tsuga
24-04-2014, 08:29 PM
The Bicentennial Man

Nameless
15-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Heaven is for Real - just saw this yesterday, and it was very well done.

Adamsmom
16-05-2014, 11:00 PM
I loved this movie. The book has more detail in it and it was a wonderful read, so good I read it twice

No-thing-ness
18-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Surprised not to see one of my favorite movies mentioned!!!

So, here it is!!!

Into The Wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LAuzT_x8Ek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild_%28film%29

Seen it three times! Inspirational film, sad too. Makes me cry each time!

Others which I often re-watch include:-

K Pax
2001 A Space Odyssey
Dreamcatcher
and......The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Nameless
19-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Oh, I forgot...one of my favorite movies!

Resurrection (1980) with Ellen Burstyn. She was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress for this movie.

No-thing-ness
21-05-2014, 02:34 AM
Just watched K Pax again, and wow what an amazingly deep film it is on so many levels! Its uplifting, humorous, insightful, compassionate, sobering, shocking and joyful. A must watch, and it reminds me of The Tao.

Visitor
21-05-2014, 02:42 AM
One of my old favorites is the movie 'Always".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Always_(1989_film)

yumi14
23-05-2014, 03:37 AM
The other side of heaven.

You can find it on YouTube :)

Deborah
31-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Chocolat is a movie with many layers.
Each time I watch it I see something new spiritually.
It is set in a small village in France and stars Juilet Binoche who is brilliant.

Empyrean
20-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Baraka
I ended up in a trance, with a tear in my eye and a feeling of tingles all over my entire body in a genuinely grounded experience watching this. This could enlighten a person in one sitting!

Samsara
Similar to Baraka, but it hit me as more 'appreciative' than enlightening. It was profound anyway and really effected my dreams afterward (in a very good way).

One Day on Earth
Again, it runs along similar lines to the two above - where the enlightenment gleaned comes from yourself and how receptive you are to this. It goes around the world in one day, where people from every single country in the world record something like 5 minutes of footage and they compiled it into this. It's quite beautiful.

The Last Samurai
More an action flick with the undertones of feudal japanese buddhism, shintoism and their approach at bringing those beliefs into the protection of their people and the beauty of their lives.

Valhalla Rising
This is a bit of a strange one for this topic, it's dreary - dark and quite a spiritual thing to watch. It's centered around a mute one-eyed slave who's forced to fight - who represents Odin, escaping slavery and making his way to a new world. Everything within this is symbolic, and if you take the time to really experience it, it could mean something to you. It's like Odin saying goodbye to the old world, and hello to the new christians.

Tsuga
27-06-2014, 12:28 PM
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

A film from
Heath Ledger
and friends.

This is a great movie for Gilliam fans. It's a compendium of all his other movies.
And fantastic for all those interested in Tarot.

I'd also recommend listening to the Audio Commentary. Terry mentions lot's of spooky stuff tied in to the film.

t.

yumi14
13-07-2014, 01:19 AM
Colorful: The Movie (2010)

On Hulu

If you like anime, this one is OK.

About a boy who commits suicide and another soul is sent back in his place to figure out what he did not learn.

Not the greatest film, but was OK enough to give it a try. The ending is nice :)

heycaribou
13-07-2014, 01:34 AM
Seen any films with a spiritually enlightening and/or uplifting theme to them?

Inner Worlds Outer Worlds- marries spirituality with ancient and modern science/mathematics. Very enlightening film

No-thing-ness
13-07-2014, 02:22 AM
Watched Into The Wild again! It is a truly inspirational film based on true events. Be prepared to laugh and cry and be deeply moved.

K Pax is another deeply provoking film.

and on the lighter side, The Big Lebowski which is Tao like!

yumi14
13-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Inner Worlds Outer Worlds- marries spirituality with ancient and modern science/mathematics. Very enlightening film

Thanks for pointing this out , it was awesome :hug3:

yumi14
15-07-2014, 03:38 AM
Ghost Hound

You can find it on YouTube by typing in the search Ghost Hound English Dub. From there, select the one with 22 videos by flxbabe11.
Sorry, I can't post the link.

Anyway, this is an anime series. If you look up the user name/handle I provided, they have it in English with no subtitles to read, so that is nice.

This is a series that is about Astral projection and OBE's along with other learning things.

I've watched 6 episodes so far and it is pretty interesting. Not excellent, but interesting, nonetheless.

DuskShine
21-10-2014, 02:49 AM
Nosso Lar.....

Garry_F
23-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003)

a powerfully moving buddhist film.

Ilush
22-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Samsara (2001)
Milarepa
The Shift

Ayla189
24-12-2014, 01:39 AM
hmm does the movie Gravity count? It really moved me in so many ways :D

ocean breeze
25-12-2014, 08:25 AM
Vanilla Sky
Waking Life

both have to do with lucid dreaming and awakening from or within the dream.

Men of Honor
Soul Surfer

both are examples of the death/rebirth process. dying of the flesh and being reborn of the spirit.

thats all i can think of for now. i don't really watch a lot of movies.

Ilush
01-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Ostrov http://www.insightstate.com/movies/ostrov/

Miss Hepburn
01-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Sorry if mentioned...

Revolver, so surprising! For a Jason Statham action movie...even spiritual quotes role at the end of the movie, trust me.
Cocoon, Defending Your Life,
First old time Star Trek Movie...
with the pedophile, haha...Mr. Collins.

Heaven Can Wait

Tried to pick oldies, maybe not mentioned. :smile:

geeeaidan
07-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Not a conventional film about Spirituality but definitely an amazing moral tale.

It's basically the story of the guy who put on Woodstock festival in his parents farm in order to raise enough money to clear their debt

ocean breeze
06-02-2015, 06:58 AM
Conversations with God https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WQvN8m79Moc

love this movie. especially the ending when he walks up to a homeless man and encounters himself.

durgaa
06-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Confucious. Excellent film.

Exodus gods and kings - weird movie about Moses, which is nothing like the biblical story. Banned in the middle-east (probably a good reason to watch it.

Song of Bernadette - always like this. A lot of facts left out, l think, but that's hollywood.

Krzysiek
07-02-2015, 12:12 AM
Zoetrope
it is not an easy movie but great for me
Director: Charlie Deaux; Cast: Nigel Bonfield, Michael Bradley
Great sound by Lustmord
Find on youtube.com

ocean breeze
12-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Little Buddha, I was just watching that last night.

durgaa
13-02-2015, 06:05 PM
Yeah, l like Little Buddha too, but l think they spoiled it with all the Tibetan stuff.

ocean breeze
14-02-2015, 07:20 AM
^^ not really. That was pretty much the point of the movie. To find the rebirth of Lama Dorje and bring him to Tibet. My favorite part was when they were telling the story of Siddhartha and during the celebration Siddhartha saw two old people and was confused. Then he followed them and for the first time he saw suffering and death. He realized he to will get old, suffer, and die. And that his father's love became like a prison shielding him from reality. It was a huge turning point in his life. I also liked the part where he was meditating under the Buddha tree during a storm and fire was being thrown at him. That was a bad a$$ scene.

durgaa
15-02-2015, 12:59 AM
I also liked the part where he was meditating under the Buddha tree during a storm and fire was being thrown at him. That was a bad a$$ scene.

Yes, that was a great scene and the one where the giant cobra protected Him from the rain..

ocean breeze
15-02-2015, 03:34 AM
^^ Oh yeah, that was a beautiful scene.

durgaa
17-02-2015, 01:19 AM
l thought 'Bless the Child' with kim bassinger was excellent. Saw it some years ago but l still remember how good it was. Really good special effects.
lt was about a young girl who played the next messiah.. Whatever the second coming of Christ might be, this was an incredible portrayal..
This is a good clip:

http://youtu.be/IuCIhvIAn44

Krzysiek
18-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Pier Paolo Pasolini visionary cinema- from European tradition of the spiritual cinematography.

Guskhaiah
30-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Wait a second, no one mentioned The Matrix?

Howla Dark
10-05-2015, 12:56 AM
I'm moved by the animation "Spirited Away". It's beautiful and uplifting as well as inspiring.

wyzandrea
01-02-2016, 07:42 AM
Yes, I have seen The Lovely Bones. It's very spiritual.

CCR5 knockout prevents neuronal injury and behavioral impairment induced in a transgenic mouse model

Journeyman Paul
31-05-2016, 04:22 AM
Lots of good ones mentioned. Also:
Contact
Blade Runner
Never Cry Wolf
Bill Murray in The Razor's Edge
Eddie Murphy's Holy Man
The Motorcycle Diaries
Once Around
Being There
Jesus of Montreal
Host

Serenity69
09-06-2016, 08:58 AM
A Matter of Life and Death (1946)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwV2oHFHFsM

It's A Wonderful Life 1946
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FU7AWkyjtI

Somnia
09-06-2016, 09:22 AM
I liked the movie Little Buddha

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Buddha)

Alastor
10-06-2016, 09:48 PM
Made it through 11 pages and thought "how is it The Razors Edge hasn't been mentioned?" I see Jouneyman Paul has done so and I'll second that. Bill Murray did a great job in an uncharacteristic role. A film based on Somerset Maugham's novel with the same title. I'll also second JP's mention of Jesus of Montreal, very good film.

I'll add PI, not the life of, just PI, an Aronofsky flick and well worth the watch if patterns in the chaos are of interest.

And if you happen to be a Herman Hesse fan, or even if you're not but the existentialist plight is familiar to you, the excellent and quirky film that closely follows the book, Steppenwolf is a must see. Available from that big river in S America.

Edit to add one of the greatest of all time IMO: Ink, rarely is so much done with so little, suspend your "b" grade movie prejudice and see Ink!

Nameless
21-06-2016, 01:40 AM
I didn't bother to go back and check all 13 pages, but I just watched Joshua on Amazon (2002 version) and really liked it. It was better than i was expecting (which wasn't a lot I admit). From the tone of it at first, I thought, Oh it's another Christian movie, but it turned out not to be and I was pleasantly surprised. A bit B movie-ish, but enjoyed it.

Unseelie Queen
21-06-2016, 04:11 AM
Made it through 11 pages and thought "how is it The Razors Edge hasn't been mentioned?" I see Jouneyman Paul has done so and I'll second that. Bill Murray did a great job in an uncharacteristic role. A film based on Somerset Maugham's novel with the same title. I'll also second JP's mention of Jesus of Montreal, very good film.

I'll add PI, not the life of, just PI, an Aronofsky flick and well worth the watch if patterns in the chaos are of interest.

And if you happen to be a Herman Hesse fan, or even if you're not but the existentialist plight is familiar to you, the excellent and quirky film that closely follows the book, Steppenwolf is a must see. Available from that big river in S America.

Edit to add one of the greatest of all time IMO: Ink, rarely is so much done with so little, suspend your "b" grade movie prejudice and see Ink!

Ink!!!!!!! Reminded me a bit of 'Mirrormask'. And the Jamin Winans soundtrack is lovely. Pi is good, also. (I'd not recommend watching it while one has a fever and is delirious, however.)

I will add... Melancholia, The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (not quite sure of that one would count, but I must mention it at every opportunity), and The Fall.

Rokazulu
22-06-2016, 05:07 AM
Why has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East?

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring Again

Two Buddhist movies that are basically koans in film form.

2001: Space Odyssey is my utmost favorite spiritual film however. It is basically the alchemical "Great Work" in film form.

jojobean
28-06-2016, 07:56 PM
I just saw this again the other night and it still made me cry

pay it forward. - loved the message

another really cool one is the 5 people you meet in heaven.

I also really like the Lake House, and Under the Tuscan Sun

Nayte
27-07-2016, 08:19 AM
ENTER THE VOID is a pretty trippy one if you don't hate drugs and inappropriateness.

A human Being
27-07-2016, 05:27 PM
ENTER THE VOID is a pretty trippy one if you don't hate drugs and inappropriateness.
Sounds like my kinda film :cool: :laughing11:

Morrigan
29-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Enjoyed this thread, most of my favourites have been mentioned already, except John Boorman's "Excalibur" one of my all time favourites from the late 1970s.

lenvdb64
29-07-2016, 02:54 PM
I would like to see "The Last Avatar"

Unfortunately it is not on mainstream media sites. And I am not going to sign a 12 mth contract to gaia to watch it either...

Mooo!

O
07-08-2016, 01:01 PM
THRIVE - What on earth will it take?

(trailer link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OibqdwHyZxk

(movie link)
http://www.thrivemovement.com/the_movie
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEV5AFFcZ-s

http://s3.amazonaws.com/thrivemovementassets/assets/images/Slide---The-Movie.png

CrystalKitty777
10-08-2016, 05:02 PM
My mum likes Salmon Fishing in the Yemen...if that even counts as a Spiritual film. :icon_bounce:

Amethyst_Gypsy93
01-10-2016, 06:13 PM
I reccomend the movie Mr Nobody it's brilliant and has so many different interpretations that you could watch it over and over.

abhishekved
21-10-2016, 11:29 AM
I'd recommend an Indian movie called 'Asoka'.

It is a biographical account of an ancient Indian King - Asoka who at a certain point ruled almost the entire land covering India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and parts of China.

However, after a very bloody battle, he gave up the violence and converted into Buddhism and went on to establish some of Buddhism's most prominent shrines in South Asia.

Brucely
23-02-2017, 06:28 AM
I reccomend the movie Mr Nobody it's brilliant and has so many different interpretations that you could watch it over and over.

Yes! Mr nobody is my all-time fav movie. Truly has a bit of everything. But mainly the most beautiful sci-fi-ish love story, scenery, cinematography, ect. Very similar to Cloud Atlas.

lenvdb64
24-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Sense8 is amazing...on Netflix

TV Series about a Soul cluster who is linked psychically to each other.
Absolute a masterpiece by the makers of the Matrix ...

Eight strangers around the globe find themselves connected -- first by a violent vision, then by their shared ability to connect with one another's thoughts and actions, and finally by the urgent need to find out what happened and why. Their need to know goes beyond simple curiosity -- as they pursue answers, a mysterious organization hunts them down, intent on destroying them. The intense thriller is the first foray into television (or, more accurately, Netflix) for renowned filmmakers Lana Wachowski and Lilly Wachowski ("The Matrix Reloaded"), who created the series with J. Michael Straczynski ("Thor"). The international cast includes veteran actors known to U.S. audiences, like Daryl Hannah ("Kill Bill") and Naveen Andrews ("Lost"), and others well-known in their home countries, like German actor Max Riemelt and Doona Bae of South Korea. In keeping with the global premise of the series, shooting takes place all over the world, including London, Reykjavik, Nairobi and Mumbai.

Keri Ford
25-02-2017, 03:08 AM
I'm glad to see there is a lot of love for Vincent Ward's "What Dreams May Come." This is one of my favourite movies, it is centred in the spirit and manages to express very well the idea that both we and this world is essentially mindful and spiritual. It draws on famous art and makes it live within a motion picture. Also the centre of the movie is a quest that makes it all feel very personal and real. I think Ward is a very under rated Director, his other movies are quite different but the Navigator, Map of the Human Heart and the Rain of Children are also well worth watching.

I think the documentary film on Yogananda "Awake" is very good, for the portrait on a very important modern spiritual figure, it dramatises it well and also shows what amazing determination the man had.

Polanski's "Jesus of Nazareth" is a very good telling of Jesus' story and I'll probably watch that every Easter and Christmas. I think we should find this a very inspiring story still.

I think all great works of human imagination are in a way spiritual. A movie like Miyazaki's "Howl's Moving Castle" which is a feat visually, but also delves into the human heart. I'm generally a fan of his movies particularly also Laputa, Ponyo and Princess Mononoke.

Another fantastic and original cartoon film is "Song of the Sea" (also Secret of Kells) it's got a strong mythological bent to it and is fascinatingly expressed.

I also the the Lord of the Rings does pretty well at visualising Tolkien, who obviously is one of the greatest 20th Century mythologises.

kellyshane
21-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Will definitely watch What Dreams May Come

Alice_1
24-05-2018, 04:46 PM
love love love what's you have recommended