PDA

View Full Version : Indian name?

wimberlyt
26-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Years ago, when I first started following my NDN heritage, I kept hearing the name Bigbear in my head. Could it be my NDN name given to me by the ancestors or just my mind playing games?:confused:

Rolling Thunder
27-06-2012, 03:23 AM
An Indian or ( spirit name ) is usually given by a Medicine Man, and/or in some cases an elder. Hence the term ( spirit ), it comes from the great divide that whom our Grandfathers ( old ones ) keep until you are ready to receive. You mentioned the name 'Big bear', chances are he/she may be your guide. It happened to me " White Feather ", kept following me for years until I met him one day.

wimberlyt
27-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Thank you Rolling Thunder. I hadn't thought about it possibly being my spirit guide. It could explain why ever since I started this journey that I've been drawn to the bear. Fitting, I suppose, since I am a large man (6ft - 380lbs). :wink:

Makoiyi
27-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Tansi Bro, nice to see you posting on here again.

Wimberlyt, I agree with Rolling Thunder, from what you have said it sounds very much that this your Guide.

Makoiyi

DreamyMaryAlice
12-10-2012, 12:41 AM
I have a Native Name, my granmother gave it to me, went back a long ways too, as being the only woman mask dancer, my granmother would tell me to put on my brother's mask, and dance around in front of her with it on, i'd say No granma and she'd laugh and say just like your name

Raven Poet
09-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Tansi Bro, nice to see you posting on here again.

Wimberlyt, I agree with Rolling Thunder, from what you have said it sounds very much that this your Guide.

Makoiyi

Tansi, Booshoo! i am new to this forum. I just had to tell you that I love your, what is it called, a signature line? Can I use that as a quote? LOL, thank you, have a safe day!

Raven Poet
09-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Hi, wimberlyt, or Big Bear. Can I tell you a little story? A few years back I was going through a confusing situation - I had a powerful tactile dream in which a powerful spirit spoke to me in Ojibwe. I do not speak my ancestor's language. But I remembered the sentence and I went to one of the Elders I know to ask for a translation. The translation was directly lined to my current life situation.

I think our own spirit knows what it knows. Medicine People and Elders are helpers, the way I understand it. They help us find our own answers inside, not try to impose theirs onto us.

It sounds like you are trusting your connection to your own knowing, and I commend you for that. I think that's what our Elders really want for us.

Take care, have a safe day!

Makoiyi
09-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Oki or Tansi Booshoo, Raven Poet, which ever you prefer to use.

Sure feel free to work away with my signiture, an NDN friend gave it to me ages ago.

Nice to meet you

Makoiyi

whitewing
20-12-2012, 02:15 PM
i feel that big bear is most likely to be a spirit guide for you to be honest. the name tells you a lot eg... big means tall and powerful in general, and the bear part is commonly connected with healing , bears were known for their healing energies and wisdom.it was though that when bears hibernate they are in deep meditation and that gives them widom and knowledge when they come out of hibernation.
many medicine men would follow an injured bear to see what plants he ate to heal his injuries and they would eat the same plants
so the name big bear is a powerful name , honour it and respect it well my friend
love and light
whitewing

Thunder Bow
04-03-2013, 07:12 PM
One can find their name through the Vision Quest.

Shincarra
04-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Have you thought about going to Big Bear, Calif? Thats what accured to me when I read your post. Just saying, might be worth some thought.