PDA

View Full Version : I think i may have figured out my religion

aero87
24-06-2012, 01:31 AM
For awhile now I've been fascinated with "death" for some reason. it started with me doubting the religious view I'd been raised with, which is that there is no soul. Then I started reading about NDEs, then on what heaven was like, and so on. After awhile I started to think of death as just a transition phase, but couldn't really find a belief system that meshed with my beliefs. I still believed in a creator and couldn't bring myself to become a pagan. But I couldn't believe in salvation through another parson again, either. Then I found spiritualism, and from what I've read so far, I think this may be it. :)

Serenity Bear
24-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Keep reading and see how you go. Your journey is very similar to mine. I started out as one religion and it really didnt answer all the questions I had, infact they were lacking. Then I worked out a belief system of my own and later found out it was called Spiritualism, so the name came after.

Just read all you can and come to your own conclusions. Safe Journey!

psychoslice
24-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Well in fact no belief system is it, you are already all that IS, no matter what you believe doesn't change anything, in fact belief systems only get in the way.

knightofalbion
24-06-2012, 11:42 AM
For awhile now I've been fascinated with "death" for some reason. it started with me doubting the religious view I'd been raised with, which is that there is no soul. Then I started reading about NDEs, then on what heaven was like, and so on. After awhile I started to think of death as just a transition phase, but couldn't really find a belief system that meshed with my beliefs. I still believed in a creator and couldn't bring myself to become a pagan. But I couldn't believe in salvation through another parson again, either. Then I found spiritualism, and from what I've read so far, I think this may be it. :)

Good for you! I wish you well on your journey of discovery.

mac
25-06-2012, 12:32 PM
My buddy psycho is correct - belief systems won't cut it for you.

Stick with (Modern) Spiritualism where belief isn't needed as there is abundant evidence for those who will look....

good luck - welcome on board

Dragonfhain
09-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Good luck with it all. Keep following into it and enjoy :D

~Blessed be

mac
09-07-2012, 11:55 AM
It seems aero87 wasn't interested in going any further with what (s)he wrote...... :rolleyes:

psychoslice
09-07-2012, 09:47 PM
It seems aero87 wasn't interested in going any further with what (s)he wrote...... :rolleyes:
Yea, I hate when they do that lol.

Shazzysun
11-05-2013, 10:00 PM
You are on the right path. Spirituality is the way to go. Keep searching and it will become clear as you move along your journey. Definitely on the right track!

Mr. Jadeitestone
30-05-2013, 04:25 PM

Screw religion. It's filled with dogmatic beliefs that tell you to submit and obey or you will forever burn in Hell. While I am a spiritualist, I also consider myself to be a Taoist as I am very close to nature and believe wholeheartedly in balance. I have had metaphysical experiences and have been overpowered and felt the presence of ghosts. I see and hear them from time to time and know that experience is more then juat religion.

Juanita
31-05-2013, 04:49 AM

See if there is a Spiritulist Church in your area and attend a service to see if that is what you are looking for, but realize that you can be a spiritulist without belonging to a church...

mac
31-05-2013, 10:41 AM
See if there is a Spiritulist Church in your area and attend a service to see if that is what you are looking for, but realize that you can be a spiritulist without belonging to a church...

Did you notice that the original posting you've responded to was made almost a year ago? The o/p long gone....

Juanita
01-06-2013, 03:35 AM
Ooops---no, actually I didn't---thanks Mac...maybe someone else may use it.....why don't we ever have conversations about spiritualism on here? Are you part of SNU?

mac
02-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Ooops---no, actually I didn't---thanks Mac...maybe someone else may use it.....why don't we ever have conversations about spiritualism on here? Are you part of SNU?
I've been around this, and other forums on this website, for quite a time.

Spiritualism and communication are my specialty but it appears that few members have any interest in discussing it with me or with others.

No I have no connection with the SNU but I often suggest that others should investigate the organization as part of any investigation into the religion and philosophy of Modern Spiritualism.

What I used to find sad is that Spiritualism (capital 'S') is frequently confused with 'spirituality' or 'spiritualism' (lower case 's' meaning to do with being spiritual etc.)

I used to post extensively trying to explain the differences but nowadays I've largely given up trying.

Juanita
03-06-2013, 04:30 AM
I've been around this, and other forums on this website, for quite a time.

Spiritualism and communication are my specialty but it appears that few members have any interest in discussing it with me or with others.

No I have no connection with the SNU but I often suggest that others should investigate the organization as part of any investigation into the religion and philosophy of Modern Spiritualism.

What I used to find sad is that Spiritualism (capital 'S') is frequently confused with 'spirituality' or 'spiritualism' (lower case 's' meaning to do with being spiritual etc.)

I used to post extensively trying to explain the differences but nowadays I've largely given up trying.

Mac, you should never give up...Lots of people read the threads, but don't post...spiritulist with a small "s" to me means a believer who is not affiliated with a church....but you are right, many people do not realize that spirituality is not the same as Spiritualism...I try to bring that up as often as I can tho.... Are you a Medium? so many here in the US are......I am not, but have had communications with my loved ones in spirit.... peace

mac
03-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Mac, you should never give up...Lots of people read the threads, but don't post...spiritulist with a small "s" to me means a believer who is not affiliated with a church....but you are right, many people do not realize that spirituality is not the same as Spiritualism...I try to bring that up as often as I can tho.... Are you a Medium? so many here in the US are......I am not, but have had communications with my loved ones in spirit.... peace

No I'm not a medium either.

In the US (where I live half my time) there's a laxness in using the words psychic and medium interchangeably. One gains the impression that psychics don't see any difference between themselves and mediums. That's also becoming the situation here in the UK where traditional, Spiritualist mediums are fewer than ever before and often said to be less experienced and effective in their role.

Juanita
04-06-2013, 04:03 AM
Well that's a shame...Some U.S. mediums trained in England and give credit to certain British mediums who helped them in their journey... That is another thing that I often bring up on different threads--that all mediums are psychic, but not all psychics are mediums....some people just don't realize that there is a difference....

mac
04-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Well that's a shame...Some U.S. mediums trained in England and give credit to certain British mediums who helped them in their journey... That is another thing that I often bring up on different threads--that all mediums are psychic, but not all psychics are mediums....some people just don't realize that there is a difference....
It is a crying shame that some practitioners neither know whether they are psychics or mediums nor do they care.

Worse even than that is that they seek to defend their ignorance by saying they don't like being labeled, making out that having a label would constrain what they do!

A total nonsense

Juanita
05-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Well that is true and I can think of one example right here in the U.S. She may have been psychic at one time, but tried to pass herself off as a Medium as well and now she has lost total credibility with everyone...I do think it is very possible to lose your gifts if you abuse them.....greed seems to take over with many of them, unfortunately.......

Bluegreen
09-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Well that is true and I can think of one example right here in the U.S. She may have been psychic at one time, but tried to pass herself off as a Medium as well and now she has lost total credibility with everyone...I do think it is very possible to lose your gifts if you abuse them.....greed seems to take over with many of them, unfortunately.......
In my birth country, Indonesia, they believe that to exploit psychic gifts is to lose them. The truly great psychics never ask money or when they do it is only sufficient to live on.

Jenny Crow
09-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Juanita and Mac - I've just been reading through this very interesting conversation and just wanted to say how much I agree with what you have both been saying.

I'm a professional Tarot reader and work in a Metaphysical store in a small town and so many times people have come for readings and have asked when we are going to give them messages from loved ones on 'the other side'. They have no clue of the differences between Tarot readings, psychic readings and messages from a medium.

Thankfully, the owner of the store is not only interested in mediumship but has a talent for it and is honing her skills in that area so we are now able to keep our clients happy, lol.

Jenny Crow

IsleWalker
09-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Well in fact no belief system is it, you are already all that IS, no matter what you believe doesn't change anything, in fact belief systems only get in the way.
Unfortunately, psycho, I don't think that's possible. Beliefs are thoughts you think a lot. Being human, it seems impossible not to think (despite what some want to believe and excepting meditation--if you can do it). SO--everyone will have things they think a lot.

Yours have to do with not having beliefs! :tongue: I don't know why this is or what we're to do about it, but I suspect it's an unwinable war. We all go around with beliefs. Sometimes we allow new thoughts and the beliefs change. One belief is not better than another--they are all based on someone's experiences and their thoughts about them, so they are valid. They are just all different.

What's a human to do?

Lora

psychoslice
09-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Unfortunately, psycho, I don't think that's possible. Beliefs are thoughts you think a lot. Being human, it seems impossible not to think (despite what some want to believe and excepting meditation--if you can do it). SO--everyone will have things they think a lot.

Yours have to do with not having beliefs! :tongue: I don't know why this is or what we're to do about it, but I suspect it's an unwinable war. We all go around with beliefs. Sometimes we allow new thoughts and the beliefs change. One belief is not better than another--they are all based on someone's experiences and their thoughts about them, so they are valid. They are just all different.

What's a human to do?

Lora
Yes, its not possible with the mind, but you have to go beyond the mind, and yes we are human but we are also more than human, this is where I dwell, well most of the time lol.

IsleWalker
09-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Yes, its not possible with the mind, but you have to go beyond the mind, and yes we are human but we are also more than human, this is where I dwell, well most of the time lol.
Good on ya. The rest of us are working on it! Have mercy.

Lora

Juanita
10-06-2013, 06:34 AM
In my birth country, Indonesia, they believe that to exploit psychic gifts is to lose them. The truly great psychics never ask money or when they do it is only sufficient to live on.

I totally agree with that...Once they become famous, many of them raise their prices so high that only the rich can afford them, but thank goodness there are still some good ones out there that are affordable for the average person..

Juanita
10-06-2013, 06:37 AM
Juanita and Mac - I've just been reading through this very interesting conversation and just wanted to say how much I agree with what you have both been saying.

I'm a professional Tarot reader and work in a Metaphysical store in a small town and so many times people have come for readings and have asked when we are going to give them messages from loved ones on 'the other side'. They have no clue of the differences between Tarot readings, psychic readings and messages from a medium.

Thankfully, the owner of the store is not only interested in mediumship but has a talent for it and is honing her skills in that area so we are now able to keep our clients happy, lol.

Jenny Crow

You are so right--so many people just don't have a clue... I wish you all good luck with your store..

Juanita
10-06-2013, 06:42 AM

OK Robert, tell me about this place where you dwell most of the time... Do you mean being in the Now, or something else.... on a light note--never try to watch a silent movie and post at the same time...:D

psychoslice
10-06-2013, 06:43 AM
Good on ya. The rest of us are working on it! Have mercy.

Lora
Yes I do have mercy, take as long as you want, your already there anyway lol.

psychoslice
10-06-2013, 06:45 AM
OK Robert, tell me about this place where you dwell most of the time... Do you mean being in the Now, or something else.... on a light note--never try to watch a silent movie and post at the same time...:D
The Now is here, where you are right Now, but your mind takes you to all sorts of places, but still you are here, NOW.

Juanita
10-06-2013, 07:13 AM
The Now is here, where you are right Now, but your mind takes you to all sorts of places, but still you are here, NOW.

Ôkayyyyy--I know that already....Was that the answer to my question?

psychoslice
10-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Ôkayyyyy--I know that already....Was that the answer to my question?
There is no answer to your question, there is only the question.

IsleWalker
10-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Yes I do have mercy, take as long as you want, your already there anyway lol.
Yes. I know. In thinking about it, I'm sure that some percentage of thoughts are already those connected to Higher Self/Source. It's the same as knowing what dreams are just left-over detrius from the day and which are meaningful. We all naturally have thoughts that are from Higher Source, without doing anything.

There are lots of thoughts that fall in this category like "I wonder what Aunt Martha is up to" (in need or communicated to me) or "I want to make a picture out of this" or "I feel like it's time for a new challenge" or "I think it's time for me to just relax and do nothing" or "I sure love those kids." or "I love this mountain." and even "I feel like brussels sprouts!" or "I don't wanna drive that freeway today."

Thoughts are a natural condition of humankind and therefore of God/Source. There is no reason to treat them like sin, to try to rid yourself of them.

And now, I'm thinking..."I want to go to sleep." This too is Godlike. :wink: When you *think* of it, they're all Divine!

Lora

A human Being
10-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Screw religion. It's filled with dogmatic beliefs that tell you to submit and obey or you will forever burn in Hell. While I am a spiritualist, I also consider myself to be a Taoist as I am very close to nature and believe wholeheartedly in balance. I have had metaphysical experiences and have been overpowered and felt the presence of ghosts. I see and hear them from time to time and know that experience is more then juat religion.

I kind of agree with this, although it seems to me that the message of the likes of Jesus, Muhammed, and Buddha gets lost amidst a lot of pretty irrelevant historical back-story. Take Christianity - surely the only thing that really matters is what Jesus said (and I'm of the school of thought that believes that when he talked about the kingdom of heaven, 'you are the light of the world,' etc., he was talking about the same thing the Buddha was talking about - nirvana, enlightenment), but you get all these so-called Christians banging on about stuff from the Old Testament and trying to scare you straight Annoys me no end (I know it shouldn't, but there you go :p)- the core of Jesus' message was compassion, love, peace, harmony, non-judgment, give over with the fire-and-brimstone rhetoric.

Elzibeth
10-06-2013, 05:11 PM
I can see why you have found the muslim religion attractive and it includes spirits/deamons and other elemental beings on a basis of heaven and hell much like christianity/catholism. I think this religion understands there is mroe to the world than meets the eye, but again it dictates its own rules by its methods which are, like all religions, a control of the masses method. You can believe in it if you wish and it suits you as there is nothing wrong with faith. But no religion is as such wrong, well perhaps demonic religions!, but the world needs balance to run its course, much like life needs death, you need rain to appreciate sunshine, or vise-versa. You need wrong to know when something is right!

Elzibeth
10-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Sorry double posted whilst my computer had a tantrum!

IsleWalker
10-06-2013, 05:30 PM
I can see why you have found the muslim religion attractive and it includes spirits/deamons and other elemental beings on a basis of heaven and hell much like christianity/catholism. I think this religion understands there is mroe to the world than meets the eye, but again it dictates its own rules by its methods which are, like all religions, a control of the masses method. You can believe in it if you wish and it suits you as there is nothing wrong with faith. But no religion is as such wrong, well perhaps demonic religions!, but the world needs balance to run its course, much like life needs death, you need rain to appreciate sunshine, or vise-versa. You need wrong to know when something is right!

I'm not sure I agree Elizabeth. There is no need for any formalized religion as our relationships with Source/Divine are unique, personal by definition. Yes, others can write about their interactions, but once you form an organization, the goal of that organization becomes to "survive". It's true in governments and it's true in religions.

I cannot think of one religion that has not (a) waged war for itself --which in my book is as wrong as you can get and (b) hasn't inflicted fear upon it's believers in one way or another. There are many sources of fear, but religion is one of the worst offenders, IMO.

I just can't find a justification for the organizations. Sharing is OK but making it formal--isn't necessary.

Lora

Fairyana
10-06-2013, 06:16 PM
I kind of agree with this, although it seems to me that the message of the likes of Jesus, Muhammed, and Buddha gets lost amidst a lot of pretty irrelevant historical back-story. Take Christianity - surely the only thing that really matters is what Jesus said (and I'm of the school of thought that believes that when he talked about the kingdom of heaven, 'you are the light of the world,' etc., he was talking about the same thing the Buddha was talking about - nirvana, enlightenment), but you get all these so-called Christians banging on about stuff from the Old Testament and trying to scare you straight Annoys me no end (I know it shouldn't, but there you go :p)- the core of Jesus' message was compassion, love, peace, harmony, non-judgment, give over with the fire-and-brimstone rhetoric.

I completely agree!! The core of Jesus' teaching is the only thing I take for me, as a moral guide, from the Bible.

I also agree that we should give freely what God gave us freely. Financially support ourselves with normal businesses and give free spiritual councils to others on a separate time. Valentin, a poor man in central Brazil, heals many people and the spirits told him not to charge for the healing, though it's ok to receive donations to maintain the house he works in and help him with his basic needs. He's still a very simple and poor man, but so rich in spirit!

Juanita
10-06-2013, 08:58 PM
There is no answer to your question, there is only the question.

heehee---that is one heck of a way to get out of answering my question..:D There is never, IMHO, a question without some sort of answer.....

psychoslice
10-06-2013, 09:04 PM
heehee---that is one heck of a way to get out of answering my question..:D There is never, IMHO, a question without some sort of answer.....
But what if I asked you what is God, or pure Consciousness, would you be able to answer that, I know I can't.:smile:

Juanita
10-06-2013, 09:18 PM
But what if I asked you what is God, or pure Consciousness, would you be able to answer that, I know I can't.:smile:

I could sure take a stab at it tho..God/Source/Creator/Infinite intelligence is LOVE, LIGHT and pure energy...Everything in the universe is made of this same energy/substance including us--our conscienceness/soul/spirit thus making us part of the whole;/One and the One being part of us as well.......how's that for an answer to "your" question......and tell me where you disagree....but, be nice a my airconditioner broke down and it is close to 100 degrees in here and Ifeel like a wet noodle......:bunny:

psychoslice
10-06-2013, 09:25 PM
I could sure take a stab at it tho..God/Source/Creator/Infinite intelligence is LOVE, LIGHT and pure energy...Everything in the universe is made of this same energy/substance including us--our conscienceness/soul/spirit thus making us part of the whole;/One and the One being part of us as well.......how's that for an answer to "your" question......and tell me where you disagree....but, be nice a my airconditioner broke down and it is close to 100 degrees in here and Ifeel like a wet noodle......:bunny:
Yes that's a nice try, but God or Consciousness is before energy, energy arises from the Source, but what is the Source ??.

knightofalbion
10-06-2013, 09:43 PM
The Source is Love...

Juanita
11-06-2013, 05:19 AM
Yes that's a nice try, but God or Consciousness is before energy, energy arises from the Source, but what is the Source ??.

Tatata---no---no before, since or after-source "is" energy/love/light..always was and always will be--no beginning and no ending--eternal....Source IS....All that Is......

psychoslice
11-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Tatata---no---no before, since or after-source "is" energy/love/light..always was and always will be--no beginning and no ending--eternal....Source IS....All that Is......
yes I agree, but the Source has no beginning or end, what I am saying is that we can never conceptualize the Source, we can make stories about what arises from the Source, and even that really cannot be fully known.

Juanita
11-06-2013, 05:44 AM
yes I agree, but the Source has no beginning or end, what I am saying is that we can never conceptualize the Source, we can make stories about what arises from the Source, and even that really cannot be fully known.

Even Spirit, at least those that still communicate with us, has never seen the Source....They describe bright light and deep love--not a person at all... I think love and light fall into the "energy" slot.... nothing can ever be fully known, but I can conceptualize this, even if it is in abstract thought...

psychoslice
11-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Even Spirit, at least those that still communicate with us, has never seen the Source....They describe bright light and deep love--not a person at all... I think love and light fall into the "energy" slot.... nothing can ever be fully known, but I can conceptualize this, even if it is in abstract thought...
Oh yes, playing with it all is fun, its only when we conceptualize it and make belief systems out of it, and try to organize it that we get into trouble, which i know you don't, because you are too intelligent to do that. Oh yes you are.:hug3:

Juanita
11-06-2013, 05:55 AM

Juanita
11-06-2013, 06:06 AM
Oh yes, playing with it all is fun, its only when we conceptualize it and make belief systems out of it, and try to organize it that we get into trouble, which i know you don't, because you are too intelligent to do that. Oh yes you are.:hug3:

Oops--I think I accidentally posted twice--but the server was busy and you know how that goes... did you sing that last part?:hug2: It is part of "my" belief system tho and I certainly don't want to organize it, as Spiritualism organizations already exist...but I do like to discuss these things with like minded people--so a Spiritualism List or two are good enough for me...and let me point out that just because a person believes in spirit and spirit communication, does not mean that they believe or agree on any other aspects of the spirit realms.....Robert, you have to stop keeping me up so late---:D

psychoslice
11-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Oops--I think I accidentally posted twice--but the server was busy and you know how that goes... did you sing that last part?:hug2: It is part of "my" belief system tho and I certainly don't want to organize it, as Spiritualism organizations already exist...but I do like to discuss these things with like minded people--so a Spiritualism List or two are good enough for me...and let me point out that just because a person believes in spirit and spirit communication, does not mean that they believe or agree on any other aspects of the spirit realms.....Robert, you have to stop keeping me up so late---:D
He he, its just on 4.30pm here......but yea I see what you are saying and I quite agree with that, not that my view means anything lol.:hug3:

Juanita
11-06-2013, 07:00 AM
He he, its just on 4.30pm here......but yea I see what you are saying and I quite agree with that, not that my view means anything lol.:hug3:

It's almost 2AM here......What? Did you say you agreed with me? Shoot, I forgot what the heck we were talking about...:confused: :confused: Of course your views mean something--to me at least....otherwise it wouldn't be any fun to debate you...:D

psychoslice
11-06-2013, 07:19 AM
It's almost 2AM here......What? Did you say you agreed with me? Shoot, I forgot what the heck we were talking about...:confused: :confused: Of course your views mean something--to me at least....otherwise it wouldn't be any fun to debate you...:D
Originally Posted by Juanita

I agree with the above, and thanks for your nice comment.:hug2:

Elzibeth
11-06-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure I agree Elizabeth. There is no need for any formalized religion as our relationships with Source/Divine are unique, personal by definition. Yes, others can write about their interactions, but once you form an organization, the goal of that organization becomes to "survive". It's true in governments and it's true in religions.

I cannot think of one religion that has not (a) waged war for itself --which in my book is as wrong as you can get and (b) hasn't inflicted fear upon it's believers in one way or another. There are many sources of fear, but religion is one of the worst offenders, IMO.

I just can't find a justification for the organizations. Sharing is OK but making it formal--isn't necessary.

Lora

You get me wrong, i agree with what you have said, but it is a choice that we all have to work out for ourselves. I believe in nature, elements, spirits and freedom, not dictatorship. However, some people need guidance as not all people are independant thinkers, some are i suppose like sheep and need guidance...which i think christianity refers to people as? Talk about Shepherds and all that :D . Religion is a dangerous thing, but some people need guidance as not everyone is lucky to be as tuned into their natural surroundings as say you or i. I would prefer someone who has a bad nature to not act upon it becuase they have a religious faith rather than them not have a faith at all if you see what i mean? not sure i'm being clear? lol :wink:

IsleWalker
11-06-2013, 06:49 PM
You get me wrong, i agree with what you have said, but it is a choice that we all have to work out for ourselves. I believe in nature, elements, spirits and freedom, not dictatorship. However, some people need guidance as not all people are independant thinkers, some are i suppose like sheep and need guidance...which i think christianity refers to people as? Talk about Shepherds and all that :D . Religion is a dangerous thing, but some people need guidance as not everyone is lucky to be as tuned into their natural surroundings as say you or i. I would prefer someone who has a bad nature to not act upon it becuase they have a religious faith rather than them not have a faith at all if you see what i mean? not sure i'm being clear? lol :wink:

Yes, Elizabeth, I guess there are people who want to be guided, but I'm still not sure it should be provided, because no one else can ever tell you the path you should be following. It has to come from inside them, so anyone providing a predefined "pathway"--may not be serving their development at all. It may just be wasting their time and true spiritual connection time as they mindlessly "follow" what someone else suggests.

I go so far as to say that those who force their view of spirituality on someone else is a sin against the soul of another--probably worse than other venal or mortal sins --in the long run.

But I suppose it's all part of the learning process too. When we no longer have need of the organization of religion, they will cease to be.

Lora

Elzibeth
11-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Yes, Elizabeth, I guess there are people who want to be guided, but I'm still not sure it should be provided, because no one else can ever tell you the path you should be following. It has to come from inside them, so anyone providing a predefined "pathway"--may not be serving their development at all. It may just be wasting their time and true spiritual connection time as they mindlessly "follow" what someone else suggests.

I go so far as to say that those who force their view of spirituality on someone else is a sin against the soul of another--probably worse than other venal or mortal sins --in the long run.

But I suppose it's all part of the learning process too. When we no longer have need of the organization of religion, they will cease to be.

Lora

I think that "But I suppose it's all part of the learning process too. When we no longer have need of the organization of religion, they will cease to be. " is a wonderful thought. I really have met many who have tried to do just what you are saying, none are bad people at all, and some are really intelligent people. Which in turn shows just scary it is that individuals can think in an intellectual way but at the same time speak out what has been as you say 'predefined' to them as if it is the only belief possible. How they can be blinkered but be intellectually trained I find really strange......but i suppose that is why it is a belief :BangHead:

IsleWalker
11-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I think that "But I suppose it's all part of the learning process too. When we no longer have need of the organization of religion, they will cease to be. " is a wonderful thought. I really have met many who have tried to do just what you are saying, none are bad people at all, and some are really intelligent people. Which in turn shows just scary it is that individuals can think in an intellectual way but at the same time speak out what has been as you say 'predefined' to them as if it is the only belief possible. How they can be blinkered but be intellectually trained I find really strange......but i suppose that is why it is a belief :BangHead:

Your icon says it all!!

L

A human Being
12-06-2013, 12:50 AM

It strikes me that there's quite a big egoic element to religious beliefs (there's a distinction to be made between belief and faith - the former is an intellectual position, the latter is intuitive imo) - question someone's beliefs and they more often than not feel threatened. Like, 'how dare you question my belief system! Mine is the one true faith!'

Argh! Ego - it's got a lot to answer for! I can see the wisdom in non-judgment, but boy it's hard to exercise it at times :redface:

Juanita
12-06-2013, 04:21 AM

What comes to mind is brainwashing.....and I understand your desire to help such people, but it is nearly impossible for them to see outside of their narrow little boxes...They throw facts and logic right out the window---and I believe that it is out of fear...

Juanita
12-06-2013, 04:27 AM
It strikes me that there's quite a big egoic element to religious beliefs (there's a distinction to be made between belief and faith - the former is an intellectual position, the latter is intuitive imo) - question someone's beliefs and they more often than not feel threatened. Like, 'how dare you question my belief system! Mine is the one true faith!'

Argh! Ego - it's got a lot to answer for! I can see the wisdom in non-judgment, but boy it's hard to exercise it at times :redface:

Dang--you took the words right out of my mouth, or should I say right off my fingertips. :-) Faith and beliefs---two different animals....

Jared.L
18-10-2016, 03:48 PM
I did not know that spiritualism is a religion now.....I think I should read more about it....maybe that is what I am looking for?