PDA

View Full Version : The Wolf as My True Animal Guide/Spiritual Counterpart?

SeekerOfJustice
12-06-2012, 07:22 PM
So I have never been into Native American beliefs (Catholic) much although I heed the teachings I come across as sacred in their spiritual intention and inherent truth (and try to apply what I can in my life). I've always "felt" like I've had an animal guide, but I never knew what it was until now (I hope). Sometimes, I wished it was a butterfly, a bird, a dolphin, a shark, a frog, a cat, etc. We all wish to know of our "little creature" next to us, right?

So after watching Kevin Costner in "Dragonfly" (2002), I somehow became focused on his wife's animal totem, an insect dragonfly. Consequently, I began to think about my own, but none of them really "stuck" because it seemed like all the ones I thought of could equally apply and be "my" animal. I took a random, 19 question quiz online and found out my natural animal guide was that of the Great Wolf, Feb 19 to Mar 20. So I researched extensively and found out my natural affinity was "wolfish", despite the concept being disgustingly popularized by the media and entertainment culture (especially the "lone wolf" ideal when in reality, lone wolves are killed by wolf packs who stick together or die some other way).

Some "Characteristics" I Have:

-My hair pulled back makes me look stern, canine, brackish, and "wolfish".

-I am extremely protective of my friends, especially girls I am close to or girls that are "alone" and I feel I need to protect. Note that this is natural for most, but for me it extends far beyond this in that I naturally bristle or become nervous if I feel something will happen I don't expect.

-My first cat, Missy, whom I was best friends with at a young age (I was 3) until she died (I was 14) would growl and fiercely snap at my parents if they yelled at me too much or their voices raised beyond a certain octave. Or if she just felt protective of me. She would also be very maternal and demand to give me "baths" even though I obviously bathed every day.

-Additionally, we were both born premature at only 2/3 of the expected time needed for birth (I was born at 6 months, 2.5 lbs and my dad jokes I could literally fit entirely into the palm of his hand. Now I'm 19, 150 lbs., and 5' 9.5"). Missy was also born a runt in her litter.

-I was born March 15 and am a Pisces inside-out, in between, and fully through and through. Pisces Pride!

-Despite society and culture, I have never seen "omens" as dark or something to be feared, but only to be studied and observed (My Missy was a black cat and she was not dark or a harbinger of misfortune and doom-unless of course, you didn't pamper her like a queen or mistreated her).

-Not relevant perhaps, but I have always been on Team Jacob in Twilight, my favorite wolf, (Midnight Black) Sam Uley.

-I have always wanted a black Labrador because they can swim really well and have great stamina to run (more Pisces?).

-I am a hardcore endurance, Cross Country runner (both by natural muscular build and pure interest/obsession) and Native American myths speak of the greatest "warriors" as those capable of running alongside the wolf as a true equal and companion, each for the other. The longest I've ever run was 17 miles on one run (I was also 17 then, too).

-I cry when I watch Animal Cruelty shows and can never understand why people do such horrid things to animals in broad daylight (I also debated being a cruelty investigator, but decided not to)

-I have similar eyes to the Wolf in that when people look at me or are near me, many have confessed (on numerous occasions) that they feel weirdly safe and protected, even if I have just met them or they were about to introduce themselves to me (and they told me afterwards at some point).

-I always observe the moon before I fall asleep and sometimes (when my parents aren't home) will walk outside for hours around the town, staring at the moon and stars.

-I have felt God to be clearest to me when I stare at the full moon, more so than anything else during the day. I naturally write better, think clearer, and "look better" at night. I also seem more "knowledgeable" at night versus the day (as though the night "gives" me insight and stuff).

-One of my favorite characters in Naruto (the show) has always been Kiba, who is a ninja with wolf characteristics and has a dog, Akamaru, that helps him on missions.

-I was born in the Ural Mountains of Russia which is one of the harshest environments in the world (See the documentary "Wild Russia").

What do you guys think? Comments?

Mike

shadedragon
04-07-2012, 01:24 PM
I believe that while you are on the right track, the only true way of finding who is your animal totems is by asking them to show themselves to you and being pacient about seeing them, as they will reveal themselves how they wish to, be it by something immediate and noticeable, or something small and quiet. I have my animals totems, one is a wolf and yes, while I have regular tendencies which point this out, along with some basic traits that would point me in this direction, I still did not assume anything until I met them. And the moon has a large imapct on everyone :) not just us in those ways. But there are other animals as well which can lead to these same conclusions with the night effects on us...