PDA

View Full Version : wstein Photo alterations

wstein
16-05-2012, 11:56 PM
I am putting this in the Art section as I feel that really good photo manipulation is more art than science.

It requires an artistic eye, good esthetics, and a lot of intuition to get good results.

Also this for public awareness that even an amateur like me can alter photos in way that the average person can not tell they have been altered. So, beware of believing what you see in a photo.

Note that photos done before June 2012 were done with an old version of Photoshop without content aware fill or even cloning features.

Note that photos here are lower resolution than the actual ones. Full resolution work is available on request.

wstein
17-05-2012, 12:01 AM
This is a simple restoration of an old damaged passport photo.

Being monochrome and lacking in detailed textures make this kind of restoration relatively easy.

wstein
17-05-2012, 12:06 AM
This is a restoration of an unevenly faded color snapshot. Evenly faded pictures can be fixed in seconds. The unevenness make it more difficult. As the overall fading is so bad, some research was required to determine the original colors. Also the original flash was not well aimed and was only partially corrected for to preserve the feel of the original.

wstein
17-05-2012, 12:09 AM
in this image the brightly colored oxygen hose was removed. What made this most difficult is that the strong color of the hose reflected on the surrounding parts or the face.

wstein
17-05-2012, 12:16 AM
This is a picture of two neighbor dogs that are friends (own by different families). The distracting person was removed and the image reframed to focus on the dogs for a framed mantle image. The most difficult part was at the top of the larger dog's head.

If you like to scrutinize, there are a few tiny imperfections in this one.

wstein
17-05-2012, 12:25 AM
This is the cover of a piano sheet music book (now expired copyright 1905). This was not so much restored as rebuilt. I used the original outlines of many of the elements and replaced them with flawless color. It looks a little plastic on the screen but has a beautiful effect when printed.

wstein
17-05-2012, 12:34 AM
This is a snapshot of a $1,000,000 race horse. The pictures were not taken with care. The one with the best image of the horse unfortunately had its ears out of frame. Some elements were taken from another shot in order to filling the missing ears and appropriate background. The curvature caused by the lens cause complications in getting the bricks right.

I am particularly proud of the quality of this restoration and have included a high resolution close up of the critical area.

Lindsay_1177
17-05-2012, 02:13 AM
Do you just do this for fun or career? Great work on the horse by the way!

wstein
17-05-2012, 03:01 AM
Do you just do this for fun or career? Great work on the horse by the way! Just for fun. I enjoy the creativity and the 'zen' of it. Several of these were done as favors for friends.

psychoslice
17-05-2012, 03:33 AM
Fantastic work wstein, I have a friend who's mother does the same, she gets a lot of work out of doing it also, maybe you should advertise.

Lindsay_1177
17-05-2012, 03:51 AM
Photography is my passion & career so I always appreciate another artist :)

StephenK
17-05-2012, 04:53 AM
yabba dabba... you is talking my language... I love this stuff.... :^)

To take an old photo and return it to life is not only fun but a warm loving service... Here's one I did a little while ago as a favor for a guy who's dad was in a band. I did a straight version then dressed it up a bit in the one I'm posting here... :^)

silent whisper
21-05-2012, 08:02 AM
I am putting this in the Art section as I feel that really good photo manipulation is more art than science.

It requires an artistic eye, good esthetics, and a lot of intuition to get good results.

Also this for public awareness that even an amateur like me can alter photos in way that the average person can not tell they have been altered. So, beware of believing what you see in a photo.

Note that photos done before June 2012 were done with an old version of Photoshop without content aware fill or even cloning features.

Note that photos here are lower resolution than the actual ones. Full resolution work is available on request.

Its all good work stein..you remind me of some wonderful old black and white damaged photos I have rescued from old family shots that need repairing...maybe I could send them to you.....and pay you..?