PDA

View Full Version : Spiritual motivation for being authentic?

ovoxo
15-05-2012, 09:52 AM
I am 21 years old. I have never been in a relationship, and never had many friends (certainly no close friends). I have been emotionally alone my entire life. Although I maintain a decent relationship with them, my parents are quite distant from me. They have supported me in every way except emotionally. I feel that I have failed to live up to their visions and standards. I am closest with my brother, but I can’t discuss personal matters with him. I feel as though I have nobody except myself to rely on.

My entire life has been managed internally. Emotions, fears, regrets, feelings- I have always worked out within myself. I went through periods of depression, locked inside my apartment for days at a time, alone. For the most part, no one knew I was even depressed. I didn’t want to have to talk about my feelings. I’ve never done that. I suppose that’s a fear in itself at this point. As for most of the people I’m friends with now- I just listen to them talk about their lives and problems, generally without them even caring to ask what is happening in my life (and if they do, me abruptly turning the conversation back onto them).

I have considered seeing a therapist, but I’m afraid of what that would entail in my personal life. For example- my mother asking me why I need to see a therapist, and me fearing being truthful with her because she is very judgmental. As far as she knows, my life is fantastic. As far as everyone knows…

I now live in Los Angeles (after escaping the Midwest), so I’m also surrounded by wonderful spiritual healing centers, but I have this nagging fear of visiting one. I think I’m afraid of the truth. I’m afraid of myself because I want to be what others want me to be instead of who I actually am. I’m a people pleaser. I know I can’t be everything to everyone, but I sure as hell try.

I realize these are irrational fears and that I shouldn’t worry about such things, but nothing is stopping me from worrying. I feel like I could live my entire life as a lie, no problem. BUT it’s hindering my spiritual development.

After my last depressive spell, I turned towards spirituality. I took up learning Buddhist practices, meditated for a short while, read many books on spirituality, and became a much happier and better person. The problem is that I keep coming back to these issues of being alone and having no one to express my true self to. These issues keep coming up, and I’m afraid that I won’t be able to continue my spiritual growth without addressing them.

I’m also severely afraid of judgment, and it doesn’t help that I’m stuck in a position in my life surrounded by extremely judgmental and shallow people who I can barely stand to be around (and I have to live with them!) Oh, the negativity I’m around daily is exhausting, and I absorb all of it. I’m frozen with anxiety about expressing my true self because I know I will be judged for it.

To make all matters worse, I’m an empath and extremely sensitive to everything.

I’m lost as to what I can do at this point. I know I need to take action, but I’m always hesitant. I guess I’m just comfortable being “nothing” in a sense. Is there any spiritual advice you could share with me? I just need some sort of motivation, and I search for it every day without avail.

shadedragon
16-05-2012, 12:03 AM
This.. fits me perfectly.. describes me on the dot practically (it describes me about a week ago) as I opened up and started not just telling others what's been happening, but who I am as a person. Before that, my nickname was Smily. Now people ask me who I really am. I'm an empath (somewhat -I'm very sensitive to Everything) and a ppl pleaser as well :D -I think it's just that I love helping others :) Just don't be afraid to tell others and stop seeing that what others think is more important. Taking the first step is a long one, but it's beyond worth it, trust me.

Arfie
19-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Will I sound offensively ageist if I say this is a pretty natural part of being 21? Finding our place in our complex culture is no small feat. Each of us face different challenges in these difficult transitions of life, but each of us is equally challenged.

Keep the faith, my young friend. Face the fears and give it time. It WILL work out.

Henri77
19-05-2012, 10:11 PM
You have wonderful resources available in LA, and evidently the means to use them.

Your fears are NOT going to leave , unless you take a risk and try something. Talk to a professional or spiritual counselor.
Or just wait till it gets unbearable, and you have no other choice.

I understand full well how fears of the unknown can multiply or seem bigger than the reality-unknown you face. And how procrastination seems an escape. I also have never confided in family, friends personal issues... well rarely..and only with spiritual associates.
for some reason I just didn't feel the need. Or that family advice would truly be what I needed.

HOWEVER....I'm quite certain your fears will seem quite silly, in retrospect, once you finally decide to do something, move beyond them.
Be impulsive , try something. WHAT do you really have to lose??

nawaz
19-05-2012, 10:49 PM
henri,

have faith. you will transform yourself. definitely go to the healing centers in LA. don't worry about people judging you there. healers are very friendly. they will make you feel at home.

I can relate to you quite a bit and I know how you feel. I can promise you that spiritual healing will transform your life. It's not an act of desperation. if you heal your spirit, you heal your life. It's the the first choice in producing change. It is a way of life.

I felt a lot like you did a few years ago. Let me first congratulate you on REALIZING that you are at a place in life where you want things to change. realizing that things are not the way you like them to be is the first step in achieving transformation. you are on the right path, henri. :hug:

Mayflow
19-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Well, I personally think that if you have been truly developing an inner reliance, keep it up, and good work, my friend! :D

Liet
19-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Your life seem to have given you many experiences that which's goal was/is to empower your root chakra.

In your meditation, i suggest you to do all your work from this point, because you will see that it will grow much more rapidly than any of the other energies, and soon enough envelop your entire being.
On the road towards this occuring, all your problems will fall away, one by one.

I also had the upbringing of being forgotten/unseen my entire life.
Every time i was stomped down i had to generate energies from within instead of accepting/taking them from others/elsewhere...
Every consequtive time you do this, the time needed before bouncing back is vastly shortened.. and your "worst possible mood" attainable, will become heightened.

This act is equal to meditating on the root chakra.. a strong root chakra will make you truly independent from other selves and perfectly satisfied with being alone.

Xan
20-05-2012, 12:09 AM
ovoxo... There are some excellent self-healing methods for emotional issues like you are describing. Here are two I often recommend:

The Healing Code - http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31115 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.spiritualforums. com%25252Fvb%25252Fshowthread.php%25253Ft%25253D31 115)

EFT - Emotional Freedom Techniques - http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4478 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.spiritualforums. com%25252Fvb%25252Fshowthread.php%25253Ft%25253D44 78)

Xan

Emmalevine
20-05-2012, 04:58 PM
What you describe is very similar to how I feel.

I'm sorry I don't feel in the place to offer advice but just wanted to say you're not alone with this, it's hard and hopefully it will become easier as you follow your heart more and more. It takes time.

Henri77
20-05-2012, 05:07 PM
I realize these are irrational fears and that I shouldn’t worry about such things, but nothing is stopping me from worrying.

I’m also severely afraid of judgment,. I’m frozen with anxiety about expressing my true self because I know I will be judged for it.

To make all matters worse, I’m an empath and extremely sensitive to everything.

I know I need to take action, but I’m always hesitant. .

Your mind-imagination will likely continue to create fear-reasons to avoid action.
You "know" change is needed. Only genuine desire for change will motivate you.

Without facing the truth about yourself, deeper spiritual progress will likely elude you. And life may just pass you by.
Living a lie to please others view of you will eventually be regretted. This in no deep secret.

While YOUR inner truth is what is most useful, others can offer alternatives you may be overlooking. It's entirely your choice what you accept, but avoiding enlightened advice may be wasting precious time that could be better used.

Native spirit
20-05-2012, 07:11 PM
:hug: ovoxo,

You are not alone many ppl feel the same way as you do, but if you are surrounded by Healing sanctuaries use them they are none judgemental and can be of great support, you are only young yet, it doesnt matter what your parents think you are an adult and capable of making your own choices,
you have to do whats best for you ,

Namaste

ovoxo
07-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Thank you all for the advice! It made me feel much better. :hug2: And especially Xan- I will look into those techniques. I found an online workshop for "Discovering your True Self" that I signed up for, so I'm very much looking forward to that.

Things are starting to look up, though. As an update, I took a trip back home last week to see my family, and inadvertently ended up working out some long-standing issues with my mother. I have recently been working in the entertainment industry- working on sets of music videos and short films, and I don't think I've ever felt worse about what I've been doing with my life. BUT I made the decision today to drop all of it (even though the money was good). I know it might not be the smartest decision, but I know inside that it was the right one. I was only working those jobs to prove myself to my family and peers.

I also received acceptance into the University of Southern California with full tuition paid, so I'm very excited to gain some more knowledge from wonderful professors (They even offer Buddhist literature courses!)

Anyway, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone with these feelings (although I wish none of us had to suffer through them). They have been great learning experiences.

Aquarian
08-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Your initial post really spoke to me. Never be afraid of being who you truly are. The challenges are a) realising who that is and b) expressing it.

Away from negative influences that few understand we are all beautiful and amazing.

At uni, everyone tries to be friendly for the first few weeks so you'll fit in fine. :smile: