PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus

Honza
06-05-2012, 10:23 PM
So who is looking forward to this film? Can you believe all the hype?

I'm not going to go to the cinema to see it, but I'm intrigued non the less. I want to know more.....

Mind's Eye
06-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Yes, I am actually looking forward to this movie... It's kind of right up my alley.

Henri77
07-05-2012, 04:57 AM
I'd say
It really should be seen on large screen...Ridley Scotts work is all about visual impact.
It's sad that this is a sciFi horror story, sigh... do we really need more to fear in the future?
However it's sure to be an experience and I'm curious what the overall story is. I've always been scifi devotee.

Honza
07-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Ridley is a very talented Director. One of my favourites.

The trailer is now available on the net - looks awesome. I'm curious about the story too.

Henri77
11-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Ridley has never really surpassed Blade Runner. For sheer blazing originality, heart, set design and filmic beauty.
I doubt anyone has... on a limited budget
Crew members wore tee shirts reflecting the disdain of Ridley's tough demanding methods.

Yikes, Ridley directed
Alien
Blade Runner
Thelma & Louise
Hannibal
All legendary films that won't be forgotten. and lots of others not quite as memorable , but masterfully executed.

I REALLY really hope Prometheus has a somewhat optimistic resolution .... that doesn't require a sequel. The Prometheus legend offers little insight to the plot-theme of the film. Other than aliens may be responsible for mankinds existance-development.

Henri77
11-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Well I just read that Prometheus is a prequel of sorts ,to Alien. according to a 2011 interview with Ridley... "inhabiting the same story universe as Alien" but without the alien being we've seen before.
Anyway that's his official statement in 2011...and editing can yet alter the tone of a film.

Despite the June release . there seems heavy secrecy regarding the story,,

Well now I at least know what emotional tone to expect..... and won't be looking for a 2001-Close Encounter feelgood movie. (sigh)

Scott is a realist rather than a spiritual visionary, and knows how to get big budget movies made.

Just read alien cost $11 million and grossed $185 million worldwide.

Still, I wish we'd get fewer popcorn blockbusters and more films that give us hope about our wisdom-abilities.

Humans have far far more power than many filmmakers imagine. Something Ripley beautifully illustrated in Alien.

Henri77
11-05-2012, 09:08 PM
There's a 1/2 second image in the trailer revealing the Geiger inspired ship design from Alien series.... so yeah, the story connection is evidently there, or at least implied.

I loved Ripley's dry wit, and do hope some release from tension-dread is included.

All his films I love include ironic humor... so there's hope it won't be merely an elegant, thought provoking terrorfest.

hawkmoth65
11-05-2012, 09:47 PM
This is a film I'm also eagerly awaiting to see.I love the Alien series,Prometheus looks like it might well be deeper though,and yes I believe it is set before the Nostromo and Ripley et al responded to that distress beacon in 'Alien'.

Henri77
12-05-2012, 12:50 AM
This is a film I'm also eagerly awaiting to see.I love the Alien series,Prometheus looks like it might well be deeper though,and yes I believe it is set before the Nostromo and Ripley et al responded to that distress beacon in 'Alien'.

I'd forgotten that element entirely. (Nostromo eh, hmm)
As much as I avoid most horror films, (Gave em up after the Exorcist) I've seen the Alien films 2-3 times and the first was exquisite in terms of art design.
One source suggested Ridley already hinted at a sequel to Prometheus, and there's still talk about a Blade Runner 2

Henri77
12-05-2012, 01:28 AM
I really didn't know each version was by a different director

1 Ridley Scott
2 James Cameron
3 David Fincher
Resurrection, Jean Pierre Junet

All very "visual style" oriented directors

and now Ridley again

couple sites already include Prometheus in the Alien series list

Honza
12-05-2012, 03:51 AM
Intriguing! lol. Don't forget that Ridley also directed Gladiator and Legend too. Legend is one of my faves.

Honza
01-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Well Prometheus is out and it sounds like it is as good as we've been led to expect. It has got some great reviews as well as some indifferent ones.

I'm NOT going to go to see it though. My days of cinema going are in the past for the time being. But I enjoy the discussion!

Occultist
01-06-2012, 07:08 PM
In the first Alien movie the ship that went missing the name of the ship was Prometheus.

Henri77
01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
While most of my film viewing is Netflix or Amazon streaming,
THIS demands to be seen in a theater...
A weekday matinee is my preference, free from the weekend, popcorn, chatty crowd.

Being totally immersed in a film is my way, and those who talk make me homicidal....

Intelligent sci fi is always a treat. While comic book superhero adaptations are fun, enough is enough.
And this'll be a welcome change, hopefully.

amy green
02-06-2012, 10:56 PM
For those interested in Ridley Scott speaking about this film, check out this radio interview (about 20 mins or so) - it starts at 35.45 mins into this film review. Unfortunately there is a brief interruption for sport (yawn) - just slide forward.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01j9gz6/Kermode_and_Mayos_Film_Review_01_06_2012/

Honza
06-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Has anyone been to see it yet?

Henri77
06-06-2012, 08:38 PM
It opens Friday... (edit.. International release WAS last week, my error)
Hope I can catch a Friday matinee while most are at work-school.

I normally wait a week or 3 for blockbuster audiences to thin out...but good sci fi is rare, and I'm curious.
Wonder how the IMax version looks?? I avoid 3D but am kinda curious... Possibly too much, for squeamish types like me.

The Alien series were the only horror films I've watched the last 20 yrs, excepting wacked, funny ones like Zombieland, Zombie Strippers and Jennifer's Body.

IMDB has a few critic reviews. This is very rare, as IMDB typically doesn't link ANY big budget critic reviews prior to opening weekend.

the only linked reviews that IMDB posted so far
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/criticreviews

superb,so-so or I Dunno ......Doesn't matter, as it's a must see prequel for any sci-fi fan.

Henri77
06-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Interviews with 2 Prometheus writers (no plot spoilers) but revealing the underlying philosophical concept , and shooting style.
Cool to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N59kuMJ2muo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR7w_ciZFpU&feature=youtube_gdata

Honza
06-06-2012, 10:36 PM
I've heard that the 3D version works really well in this movie.

Student4Life1975
06-06-2012, 10:38 PM
I am a huge sci-fi fan, expecially the alien and aliens movies (1 and 2). So when I heard of this, I was (and still am) very excited. I know its not intended as a prequil to Alien, in fact it's a completely different universe than the one Ridley Scott brought to our movie screens in 1979. But he had admitted that its got some scenes that are eerily similar to Alien, using the same crashed spacecraft, the space jockey, and a few other visual clues to some similarities. Apparantly it has quite the "makes you think" ending, regarding religious and evolutionary undertones. So yes, I for one am really looking forward to it, and unfortunatelty can't interest my wife, so maybe my sister or father will join me. Can't wait!

Honza
06-06-2012, 10:43 PM
I thought that it actually has the Aliens in this film! Am I mistaken?

Henri77
06-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Ya got me... but I believe not... only a suggestion or very brief glimpse, if that.

(as I understand from what I'd read-heard in previous interviews)

They've been VERY secretive about leaking details of story or plot... prior to any release.
I've seen quite enough of oozy reptilians, personally.

maybe in the sequel... Scott seems to have hinted at a poss sequel....(not unlikely, if this one makes dough)

some cool info on IMAX 3D ... I haven't seen IMAX in quiet a while, and never a 3D movie there.

I never realized 3D film projectors actually use 2 reels of film these days, and assumed some polarizing tech trick allowed the images to be on one reel.

Both filmstrips of an IMAX movie stretch 18km total....!

Nothings really changed since grandma's stereoscopic viewers. Other than digital capture, editing & projection. Insofar as 3D illusion

IMAX film projectors in use
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTH2zIKwC0

Henri77
06-06-2012, 11:37 PM
While I'd FAR rather see a positive Sci Fi story like Close Encounters, Day the Earth Stood Still, or Contact,
(I've seen Close Encounters 5x to date and it had a profound impact the first time)

This one DOES raise philosophical ideas that deserve considering,

Scott prefers conflict-drama to a far riskier truth-possibility about our origins & spiritual nature.
While the unknown poses many challenges, it does not necessarily seek to destroy us.

Yeah it's only a movie........ after all... one guy's fantasyworld

Henri77
09-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Well here's Roger Ebert's review. (4 stars) (some info that wasn't revealed in interviews)

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/#watchit-frame-urlhttp://ebert.gowatchit.com:80/watchitwidget?origin_url=http%3A%2F%2Frogerebert.s untimes.com%2F

Think I'll go next week at a matinee when crowds are minimal.
I'm really contemplating the IMax version, out of curiosity.

Ridley Scott is a perfectionist and 3D Imax could be pretty exceptional.

Since it's R rated there hopefully won't be many children in the audience.

I fear encouuntering distracting patrons at movies I really care about...as I can get pretty offensive if folks near me talk.

Henri77
09-06-2012, 11:20 PM
It appears many moviegoers are disappointed at the lack of scary monsters, and don't care much for thought provoking films-stories.

(Judging from IMDB viewers reviews....)

There are lots of slasher-serial killer-gorefest- explosion filled movies that suit them. Aimed at 12-15 yr old mentalities.
So I hope they pass on this one.

Honza
09-06-2012, 11:38 PM
There were not any scary monsters in 2001 A Space Odyssey and that was a great thought provoking film. I might actually watch it if it is not too scary, lol.

Henri77
10-06-2012, 06:30 AM
Well it IS billed as a horror movie... but one for those who appreciate ideas as well.
Ridley Scott knows how the attract audiences, but he's no Stanley Kubrick.

Henri77
10-06-2012, 07:12 PM
After reading user comments at the Prometheus site, My take is that many viewers-fans really expected a classy, horror-sci fi action story....
in the tone of Alien, http://www.prometheusforum.net/

Rather than a scary-paranoid version of 2001 ... as that's what this seems to be....( a much more negative/paranoid mythology than 2001)

As 2001 was primarily
optimistic about the mysteries of the inteligent universe... while this seems focused on its threatening aspect.

(Us as the good guys in a threatening situation-universe)

The theory is based on likely truth, (genetic manipulation), but isn't especially hopeful. about the nature of the universe (at least the solar system represented here) From what I gather about the story, thus far.

Perhaps I'll feel differently after seeing it... Folks don't go to movies to become depressed, and filmmakers well know this.

In this interview, Michael Fassbinder reveals the ending....(when he declares that “the humans win in the end... for now!”)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Michale-Fassbender-Reveals-Prometheus-Ending-on-Jon-Stewart-274465.shtml

Midnite
11-06-2012, 03:15 PM
It was an interesting movie. I liked how life-like everything looked. Actual depiction of how the human DNA sequence came into existence? nah.. This movie had 'expect a fake invasion' all over it. What's the Government plotting?

Henri77
11-06-2012, 05:11 PM
It was an interesting movie. I liked how life-like everything looked. Actual depiction of how the human DNA sequence came into existence? nah.. This movie had 'expect a fake invasion' all over it. What's the Government plotting?

Excellent point, (that I hadn't yet considered) but this could be said about so many sci-fi films... from 50's monster aliens to Battle of LA, Battleship or similar invasion themes that Hollywood (and likely the military) supports to represent all aliens as threatening.

What's particularly disturbing to me, is how this story appears to twist truth (ancient genetic modifications) to create an ongoing mythology-threat of this sort....
(and even setting it in the future)
It's only entertainment, yet does shape the public mindset, by creating such a mythology... one that fears the unknown.
Like do we really need more paranoia ?

Yes, I've heard 1st hand reports that a small spectrum of aliens HAVE long represented an actual or perceived threat to us...(depending how one views our overall dynamic of interactions....far beyond recognized earth history) As there seems much lost in history.

The public seems to love being scared however, so one cannot really blame directors for creating such things in whatever form...slasher films, serial killers, and such.

Speilburg was among the first modern directors to represent aliens as benevolent, (ET, Close Encounters) , and even he has folded , and tends to now support the fiction of an invasion scenario.... with Super 8 being the sole recent exception I can recall..
(one that is compassionate to other life forms)

Whitley Streiber claimed he got financial support for HIS depiction of Greys as demonic.....support that vanished when he began to depict them in a more compassionate way. (according to an older interview or article I recall)

Hollywood is very sensitive to public opinion in how it represents ethnic groups, yet our galactic family has no such representation-influence it seems, and continues to be a favorite target for our projected fears.

I applaud filmmakers who have the courage to buck this trend. And so does the moviegoing public it seems.
ET was the highest grossing film of it's decade.

Henri77
13-06-2012, 02:40 AM
OK , just saw it and posted this in a thread-discussion I started an another forum with folks who'd seen it it or planned to.

I just came from seeing it....and frankly I wouldn't make a final. judgement about the creators
just yet.
While that's how it appears, I suspect there are yet hidden story motivations not yet revealed
about them and things may not be quite what they seem.*I'll bet that they are far more like us
than the story lets on. Just a hunch.

(One other possibility,,is that man may have evolved further than they anticipated (or less)
and they decided to start over) The sequel may fool everyone however.....

And also I suspect David has a surprise or 2 for us about his motivations.

OK , my personal opinion.
A wee bit disappointed .....
The trailer promised a grander , deeper film that the one I saw.
It's very clever, definitely creates mystery, has a great look, only one truly great character
(the heroine) but for me, I probably won't see 2X
, unlike 2001 & Alien that I saw 4 & 3 times respectively. Both are genuine classics.

It's certainly a must see, for any sci-fi fan ..... yet it's neither
anywhere as deep as 2001, nor as thilling powerful *as the original Alien. *IMO

I'd characterize it as an exquisitely designed adventure film, with a clever futuristic-sci-fi
theme that included significant graphic violence to pull in the maximum audience.

Not really a horror film like Alien ... which had a clearly defined "villain."
And suspense as taut as an acrobats high wire.

I'm sure many will love it ....I'm glad I saw it... and am curious about a few story elements,
But outside of the story logic... it raises no questions about US that I haven't already
deeply contemplated.

Henri77
14-06-2012, 12:46 AM
BTW
Roger Ebert gave it a very positive, 4 star review
but this BBC reviewer seems very informed about sci-fi and his comments were even more insightful comparing it to a variety of films
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jyxZBuWSXM

beloved_ofmars
16-06-2012, 04:32 PM
For me it was a big disappointment. I kept wondering when the film was going to 'get going' but it didn't seem to. It sort of plodded along right through to end. I saw it in 2D, I'm sure in 3D some parts would have seemed impressive. The story itself seemed like a five year old wrote it. The acting was so so, Guy Pearce's make-up was as unconvincing as the story itself. Most convincing character was the holographic dog!

Mind's Eye
16-06-2012, 04:56 PM
For me it was a big disappointment. I kept wondering when the film was going to 'get going' but it didn't seem to. It sort of plodded along right through to end. I saw it in 2D, I'm sure in 3D some parts would have seemed impressive. The story itself seemed like a five year old wrote it. The acting was so so, Guy Pearce's make-up was as unconvincing as the story itself. Most convincing character was the holographic dog!

My wife and I just saw the movie last night.... and the above statement was a big DITTO for both if us. It fell very flat and did not deliver at all.

Adrienne
16-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Disappointing to be looking forward to a movie, and have it turn out to be a disappointment.

Henri77
16-06-2012, 06:10 PM
I agree the trailer promised quality & mystery the movie didn't quite deliver.

Same as Watchmen.. a wonderful film with a superb trailer that created extremely high expectations.
I've since rewatched 2001 & 2010.

Trying to mix the intelligent theme of 2001 or Contact & the horror-tension of Alien was a mistake IMO as it failed at both.
I found the story interesting but it fails to connect in the manner 2001-2010-Contact-Alien did.
Prometheus 2 could yet pull elements together, but I fear Ridley may have lost his magical touch at the genre.

While I've seen all these films 3x or more I likely won't see Prometheus again.
As a sci-fi fan, I certainly had to see it, but it missed the high expectations the trailer & promotion promised.

Ridley is a superb craftsman, but seems more concerned with making money for the studios than creating art these days.
Perhaps he should produce, and leave directing to someone who really cares about superior storytelling.

DoctorStrange
21-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I really enjoyed the movie. It must be remembered that Prometheus is not an alien prequel. The planets visited in aliens and in prometheus are two different planets.

Anyhow, i loved the visuals, they were awesome, and that especially loved that the movie opened up the subconscious of our planet, about who created mankind.

I firmly believe we are a hybrid creation from a race called the anunnaki.

Also, Ridley confirmed a sequel will be happening, and therefore we will be able to see the world of the engineers/designers. That will be absolutely fascinating!

Got the blu-ray. It looks absolutely stunning!

Henri77
18-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Ridley is a genius at craftsmanship .but the bottom line mentality compromised the story in order to appeal to the widest audience. And that may have been his mistake.

Blade Runner was an uncompromised labor of love, while this seems more a corporate production to fill studio coffers. Something Kubrick never did.

I may rent it for a second viewing...however , and see if I missed anything.

Squatchit
09-12-2012, 04:18 PM
I watched it this afternoon. It was OK in an average sort of way.

norseman
09-12-2012, 06:51 PM
I bought Prometheus, sight unseen, to go with my Alien Quadrilogy [I thought]. Disappointing !

Henri77
09-12-2012, 07:03 PM
As much as I liked Liz, the female lead, a very heroic figure.
She's no where the character Ripley was.
A dazzling film , whose characters are dominated by the settings.(perhaps that was the intent though- to make the planet the opponent, rather than the engineers)
Style & concepts over substance.

certainly worth a viewing though

Squatchit
09-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Who was Ripley? I remember Liz because her name was touted so often. But Ripley? Haven't a clue and watched it only hours ago.

Henri77
09-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Sorry I assumed everyone had seen the Alien Series , initial episode by Ridley Scott (Siguorney Weavers character)

I've only recently noticed her name mirrors Ridley ...... perhaps he expected to direct the sequel, as that's kinda unisual

Squatchit
09-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Oh. I haven't seen Alien. No desire to. Not a fan of horror/gore (and found this film a tad gratuitous).

I wouldn't have watched it with hindsight. Just because I found it the usual formula.

Science fiction I do love and give me Solaris any day of the week. :smile:

Henri77
09-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Oh. I haven't seen Alien. No desire to. Not a fan of horror/gore (and found this film a tad gratuitous).

I wouldn't have watched it with hindsight. Just because I found it the usual formula.

Science fiction I do love and give me Solaris any day of the week. :smile:

I wholly agree with your tastes & feel the grusome violence of Prometheus was to satisfy a segment of the population (not my taste) and not really needed for the story. Somewhat like 2001 in theme, yet dark rather than inspirational. Ebert gave it 4stars but also felt it's themes weren't developed as they could have, and it went with horror-thriller conventions more than the underlying thematic-philosophical possibilities.

Yet Alien had astonishing art-set designs, wholly revolutionary in fact...
the only reason I went, as I don't care for horror. (well I love sci-fi and it was quite an imaginitive thrill ride, yet quite scary)

Suderburgs, Solaris has some pretty disturbing effects .moreso then Tarkovsky's.

Alien 1 was a landmark film, but unless one can accept the dark-ugly, it isn't for everyone. Nor is Saving Private Ryan, which I passed on due to the graphic nature.

Henri77
11-12-2012, 01:45 AM
I just discovered Stalker (tarkovsky) is avail at youtube

It's at least as good as Solaris and pretty tough to find... I have the VHS version but was delighted to find it online
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYEfJhkPK7o in 2 parts

Squatchit
11-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Ooooooh, that looks good Henri - thank you. I've bookmarked it for future viewing. :hug3:

Aquarian
14-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Prometheus was truly spectacular in 3D. For the first 45 mins or so, I don't recall ever having as much fun in a cinema.

The plot holes are annoying if such things annoy you.

I really like Soderburgh's Solaris though I didn't understand bits of it until I listened to the director's commentary. Found the original to be boring.

Henri77
14-12-2012, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=Aquarian

I really like Soderburgh's Solaris though I didn't understand bits of it until I listened to the director's commentary. Found the original to be boring.[/QUOTE]

Many audiences would agree with you.
Solaris & Stalker were created for a Russian audience, rather than the American TV audience.
The pace of Stalker is almost glacial,
and the cinematography painterly-moody, rather than theatrical...like watching a dream unfold. or a painting develop, one must surrender to the experience.
As it develops naturally, as if one were along for the trip,to the zone,

He's been called the poet of cinema, for good reason.
Unlike many films , one doesn't forget them upon leaving the theater.

I loved both versions of Solaris.
Soderbergs more emotional, quirky, (Jeremy Davies role)and Tarkovskys more philosophical, with more loose ends for the imagination to explore.
Both great stories well executed.

Stalker is an adventure story for the mind. As well as visual poetry. With imagery worthy of a gallery.

Henri77
15-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Just read that Stalker had to be shot twice,
Te original negs were damaged by a processing lab error,and were unusable, so it was virtually reshot again.
Also that Tarkovsky & 3 crew eventually died as result of chemical pollution at the shooting sites.

Another similar thing happened with"The Sacrifice"
A 3 story oceanfront home burned up in a crucial scene, and the primary camera covering it, jammed.
They had to entirely rebuild the house and reshoot that scene.

Anyway , thread is about Prometheus..... sorry about digression

hawkmoth65
16-01-2013, 08:10 AM
At last I saw Prometheus for the first time and I was very impressed.I found it rather like a 'thinking man's Alien'.I enjoyed the idea that we were genetically engineered by an alien race (not a new theory I know),but the film kept me guessing and I like films that make you think.

I'm assuming the tentacly thing that came out of the sludge was the fore-runner of the creatures from the Alien series.

Anyway,much enjoyed and will look forward to any sequel that is made.

Honza
18-01-2013, 02:33 PM
I suspect that Prometheus is actually a decent film which was overhyped and had too much to live up to hence the negative backlash. Once the furor has died down people will be able to see it for what it is.

hawkmoth65
18-01-2013, 02:44 PM
I suspect that Prometheus is actually a decent film which was overhyped and had too much to live up to hence the negative backlash. Once the furor has died down people will be able to see it for what it is.I agree totally Honza,sometimes a product/film can be so over-hyped that it can only ever be disappointing by default.