PDA

View Full Version : London Police -v- Witchcraft

norseman
27-04-2012, 08:54 AM
In my newspaper today. "London Metropolitan Police to be trained to spot signs of witchcraft"
This follows the rise recently in incidents of children being abused physically, even to the point of death, because they "showed signs of being witches".
An uncomfortable spotlight is being focused on the belief in sorcery in some immigrant communities. The task force leader says "Local officers should pay close attention to unregistered churches in residential streets."
There is to be a "national action plan" to encourage police, teachers, social workers, and medical professionals to take a more pro-active role in looking for witchcraft victims. I would have thought that local priests should also be included.

So, how do we feel about this ? A resurgence of the Witch Hunt in Britain ? Actually, it seems that "witch" in this instance is the African view of witchcraft.

WhiteWarrior
27-04-2012, 10:22 AM
It will boil down to cops checking out kids for physical signs of abuse during related and unrelated investigations in immigrant homes. Considering what is going on in parts of Africa of witchcraft-related activity - like removal of children's bodyparts for sacrificial/sale purposes - I am all for it. The public is more levelheaded than we give them credit for at times; noone are hunting down Twilight or Harry Potter fans because of their witchcraft potential for one thing. It is a sad story all in all but just like with the Africa-related genital mutilation, the cops know where to look for it if and when they want to find it.

Native spirit
27-04-2012, 11:05 PM
:icon_eek: Its going to be like it was years ago if you dont fit in, you have to be a witch, i agree that some people need to be checked on, but giving powers to the police in the uk,is rediculous they are pathetic and useless whats it going to be next bring hanging back?, to give social workers more power is dangerous they already ruin lives of innocent people with their misjudgements etc, they think they are a law unto themselves anyway,
teacher looking for signs of abuse thats a laugh, i have just had major issues with the school my daughter goes too, people there were being bulied the teachers did nothing, i have always only followed one law and that law is my own,

Namaste

Occultist
28-04-2012, 01:45 AM
Where in Witchcraft have we ever harmed children? I am the 6 generation Witch. we have never harmed a child what heck is these people talking about? They should enlist the Witch Prickers of Scotland again they did so well the first time. This is completly disguisting imo.
There is nothing like getting your Coven together having of course your Orgy with the Devil then go around harming children. Yep that about sums up my day how about yours?
http://api.ning.com/files/PmHbo1717wRtgZYHlgBfHgeivFOERjPBmvEz2oXMoR1QPguffW UtZ6C8DLHxtP9HAKT0z-iEg1X8683PvZeKgY6E2OtG6prf/the_craft_fairuza_balk.jpg

LadyTerra
28-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Not every Magickal path is free of blood sacrifice.

The danger is that they will punish indescriminately.

norseman
28-04-2012, 07:30 AM
This is the result of some recent high-profile cases involving African immigrants torturing children, often within their own family, to drive out the devil because "they are witches". So easy to be accused of being racist over this but it is another example of an alien culture being imported into a Western country. I wonder about the effectiveness of a "special task force" given that physical abuse within a family is often covered up or hidden.
"Witch" means different things in different cultures ! The close attention to be paid to unregistered churches in residential streets is a major clue in this.

Occultist
29-04-2012, 01:03 AM
I use blood in some spells I admit that. But I dont torture a person for it. I simply ask. If Norse lived close lets say and I am having bad dreams I would "Ask him to prick his finger" and mark my front and back door. I also use cat whiskers and dog fur but I do not harm animals in doing this.
Witchcraft is a celtic believe not African unless there getting a Root worker and an Witch confused.

Quintessence
29-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Yeah. It's when I see things like this that I occasionally begrudge the fact that certain contemporary Pagans decided to adopt the name "Witchcraft" or "Witch" to describe their religious path or way of life. It makes me understand why some of them select the label "Wiccan" instead even if the label is a bad fit. The word "Wicca" means far fewer things in our language than "Witch." When they mean "someone who routinely practices harmful spellcraft" maybe they should use the word "maleficar" instead. Same root as "malevolent" which makes the meaning crystal clear in most instances.

psychoslice
29-04-2012, 02:41 AM
I think the police are just after the nutters, who sacrifice peoples pets and do silly stuff like that in the name of witchcraft and satanism, but the ones that are genuine and don't hurt anyone, well of course their not included.

Quintessence
29-04-2012, 03:08 AM
To repeat LadyTerra, not all paths consider sacrifice forbidden and it's not fair to claim that they aren't "genuine." Sacrifices, being a taboo in our culture, are condemned instead of understood. On the other hand, clearly if you're doing something illegal that is ill-advised. *chuckles*

LadyTerra
29-04-2012, 04:59 AM
To repeat LadyTerra, not all paths consider sacrifice forbidden and it's not fair to claim that they aren't "genuine." Sacrifices, being a taboo in our culture, are condemned instead of understood. On the other hand, clearly if you're doing something illegal that is ill-advised. *chuckles*

The true danger is that Religious Zealots might use this as an opportunity to persecute SpiritualPaths that they do not truly understand.

Political Power, Coveting, Greed, Jealousy--all of these things played a part in the mass-hysteria that ensued in the past. It all boils down to ignorance and the grapevine effect.

norseman
29-04-2012, 08:17 AM
I don't know the name of the practice which became Voodoo [Vodun ?] but it is still strong in West Africa. This is the "sorcery/witchcraft" that is being put under the spotlight, not our European variety. However ........ !
Like Quint. I dislike the use of the word "Witchcraft" and much prefer the simple "Craft" instead. In Britain [Middle Ages], the expression used was the Old Religion but that turned out to mean Catholicism.
Occultist :hug2:, I prick my finger most days to test my blood sugar :D

norseman
29-04-2012, 08:23 AM
[quote=LadyTerra]The true danger is that Religious Zealots might use this as an opportunity to persecute SpiritualPaths that they do not truly understand. [quote]

Note what was said about unregistered churches in residential streets !
Suggests that there are some christian extremist "witch-hunters" on the loose. I didn't quote the full newspaper article, it referred to London and other British cities with large immigrant populations.

Occultist
30-04-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't know the name of the practice which became Voodoo [Vodun ?] but it is still strong in West Africa. This is the "sorcery/witchcraft" that is being put under the spotlight, not our European variety. However ........ !
Like Quint. I dislike the use of the word "Witchcraft" and much prefer the simple "Craft" instead. In Britain [Middle Ages], the expression used was the Old Religion but that turned out to mean Catholicism.
Occultist :hug2:, I prick my finger most days to test my blood sugar :D

Hudu,Hoodoo,Root Worker,is a magick weaver not a Witch..
There is a huge difference, we are similiar but not the same.

Quintessence
30-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Depends on how broadly one defines the word "witch." The word works too hard in our language. It can validly apply to a large portion of those who work spellcraft and do ritual. The word "magic" is even worse, which is part of why I avoid using it when referring to the practice and instead use the word "spellcraft." =P

LadyTerra
30-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Hudu,Hoodoo,Root Worker,is a magick weaver not a Witch..
There is a huge difference, we are similiar but not the same.

There are those who do not differentiate--to them the word "Witch" is a blanket term to describe and demonize anyone who does not believe as they do.

Rhodes
09-05-2012, 02:54 AM
I just find it interesting that, many things have been done in the name of religious cleansing..historically and gravely resulting in mutilation, hate, and gross killings yet, those very people pointing the finger in their religious clothing are the same ones crying wolf when it comes to the pagan/wiccan beliefs; what is their proof? Thing is, the burnings were more about self righteous posturing than it was cleansing the world of the "witch" which provided a convenient cover up to their own perverted actions under the religious umbrella. Unfortunately with all our technological advancements and open minded tolerance "getting with the times" we've fallen short in actually tolerating those who are not doing anything but trying to live their lives. I'm not talking about those sacrificing or abusing which is clearly against the laws of nature and of the land, just sad a few bad apples have to make life tougher for the rest of us.

Gracey
09-05-2012, 11:42 PM
i am shocked!!!!

ravenlord
18-06-2012, 08:23 AM
just sad a few bad apples have to make life tougher for the rest of us.
it is true that there are only about three bad apples to every ten of the rest of us and it is very sad what happened in the witch trials. however i don't think this is "...going to be like it was years ago if you dont fit in, you have to be a witch...".

Sybilline
18-06-2012, 09:25 AM
There are different sorts of occultism, and sometimes "Witchcraft" becomes the generalized term. I agree that there are times when sacrifices are used in some rituals, but whether it's the actual belief or they just twisted their original belief (much like how, say, Christianity was twisted), I wouldn't really know.

LadyTerra
18-06-2012, 05:53 PM
There are different sorts of occultism, and sometimes "Witchcraft" becomes the generalized term. I agree that there are times when sacrifices are used in some rituals, but whether it's the actual belief or they just twisted their original belief (much like how, say, Christianity was twisted), I wouldn't really know.

Some Magickal Paths practice blood sacrifice. However--(not all) in my Tradition the only blood sacrifice that was ever required was my own at the time of my initiation.

Food for thought...

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...

NekoTheCat
18-06-2012, 09:14 PM
damn, the inquisition, part 2?
i really dont like the sound of this, and i sure hope they will let be those who mean no harm what-so-ever
but those churches with no permit should be investigated and helped get a permit if they mean to do no harm even in the eyes of the westerners...

Lostgirl
19-06-2012, 06:46 AM
By the sounds of it i dont think they are going on a "witch hunt" it sounds like more cult work if you ask me! As in those crazy groups like the one in America thats gotten in alot of trouble in recent years i even think they were on the Jeremy Kyle show.