PDA

View Full Version : Anyone gluten free?

Newfreedom9
15-04-2012, 04:10 AM
I just found out that I'm gluten intolerent. I have gotten a few things like gluten free pizza crust that was really good. Basically I just wanted to hear from others that have made the switch. Any good sites for recipes, or recommendations would be great. :smile:

in progress
15-04-2012, 06:15 AM
I find I dislike GF bread-like products. Pamela's cookies, Betty Crocker's GF devil's food cake and Mary's Gone crackers were exceptions. I also like Tinkyada pasta and San-J Organic GF Tamari sauce. Mostly I do without or cheat unfortunately.

Lodewijkp
15-04-2012, 03:05 PM
i haven't been tested for gluten allergy or intolerance, but when i ate bread of any grains i just felt way more tired... so i stopped eating gluten products... lactose and caffeine give me bad skin reactions so i also need to avoid that..

this is a minority country and there aren't many alternatives.. i like hemp seeds, oats, millets, fruits, vegetables... when i cook i used organic corn flour or polenta. You can really makes some good tasting cookies with mungbean - just soak them for several hours ( or not ) , grind them up and use them as pastry with other ingredients.

i think you are better of with some books.. im on a raw food diet and i don't use these books but other people recommended them to me.

http://www.amazon.com/100-Best-Gluten-Free-Recipes/dp/0470475838/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334502129&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Shoestring-Recipes-Eating-Cheap/dp/073821423X/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334502129&sr=1-7
http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Baking-Classics-Annalise-Roberts/dp/1572840994/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334502129&sr=1-12

God-Like
15-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi Guy's ..

I started to actually feel that something was not quite right over the last 6-8 months when I ate certain foods containing gluten ..

It's not just gluten .lol. I found myself being able to eat less and less, I seriously feel that something is different within the foods that we eat nowadays ..

Somethings not quite right anymore I would say .. :wink:

x daz x

OnAPath
16-04-2012, 12:48 AM
I made some awesome bacon wrapped scallops the other day. If you search online, I did the Rachael Ray recipe. They are fantastically gluten free.

I have not been tested for any sensitivity, but I've just been trying to eat healthier. I have been trying to consume less gluten, but with a baby on the way, I end up eating anything, and feel the tiredness as a result.

Newfreedom9
16-04-2012, 02:39 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I've never heard of mungbeans, but I have made black bean brownies and those were pretty good.

I forgot to mention that I'm mostly vegetarian too. I've been trying to go as much organic as possible, and especially avoid gmo's, processed food, msg, aspartame, hydrogonated oils, corn syrup and all that. Now that I've quit eating gluten I'm really different. lol. Most the stuff at the grocery store is just poisoned.

Anyway, I have a really good recipe that I found a while ago. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-beans-a-la-olla/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=black%20beans&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page I leave out the oil and garlic. If you just dump everything in the skillet you don't have to cook the onions seperate in oil. I just wrap this with some lettuce in a GF tortilla or just pile it on a bed of lettuce and eat it that way, sometimes with organic corn chips. It's really yummy, esp if you love cilantro like I do. :smile:

Newfreedom9
19-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Bob's red mill gluten free pizza crust mix is really good. :smile:

Sentientno1
05-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Hi Newfreedom....

i've been gluten free for 3 years. Due to the erosion of villi in the gut there was also an intolerance to dairy and soy. After about an 18 month gluten free diet was recovered enough to slowly re-introduce those 2 things back in my diet. My weight low weight was a seriouse health factor, the loss due to gluten.

Amazingly, in 3 years the gluten free market has exploded into public availability. When i first went on the diet 3 years ago i thought i would be severely restricted on the variety of what i could eat, and was for awhile.

Since then many supermarkets have a small section dedicated to gluten free products and online sources abound.
Bob's redmill offeres so many things online, Tinkyada pastas are the best, i know i tried most of them.

If anyone wants i have a great homemade bread recipie, have tried a few, and found them lacking, and this one had to be tweaked over months to arrive at the final product. Also have a bannana bread recipie that is better then wheat.

There is a celiac society, and a forum with advice, recipies and info, because of a computer crash i no longer have the link, try a google it's how i found it.

Good luck, take care of the condition, it can lead to other illnesses if not diet treated.

Winston
06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi Newfreedom,

Actually my wife just became a brand partner of a new all natural snack company. All of the products are 100% gluten free, and they taste great :wink:

If you want to check out what we offer go to www.snackhealthy.com/jessica11

Let me know what you think! Also before you check out you can click the button to become a preferred customer and you can get the snacks for a cheaper price. The only difference is that it will put you on autoship, but you can always cancel beforehand if you want.

Newfreedom9
07-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Thanks alot! I have always been underweight too, no matter what I eat. Then when I became a vegetarian I really was underweight (almost 20 lbs) even though I eat a lot. Now it makes sense. Hoping I get clear skin and gain weight back soon! I'm on a detox diet now and eating mostly raw fruits and veggies.

Aquarian
08-05-2012, 05:28 AM
I used to be intolerant of gluten about 8 years ago and yes that was hard. Only health food shops had a few GF alternatives.

Gluten is the stuff that makes pasta & bread stick together and is consequently difficult to substitute.

Newfreedom9
12-05-2012, 08:34 PM
How did you get over your sensitivity?

Aquarian
13-05-2012, 12:03 AM
How did you get over your sensitivity?
Weird thing. I did a version of Timeline Therapy I didn't believe in, 'found' an ancestor who apparently had a sack of wheat fall on his head from a barn, helped him feel better about it, sensitivity gone.

Still don't believe any of it but not had a problem in the 9 or so years since.

Louisa
27-05-2012, 01:29 PM
I am not gluten free, but I have greatly reduced the wheat in my diet, because when I eat too much of it I definitely feel bad. I like to eat the grain quinoa. It was an acquired taste for me, but after eating it for a while, I really like it now. It is supposed to be really good for you, has lots of lysine, which is rare in the plant foods, and is very complete protein for a plant. I also read it is supposed to increase psychic abilities. It was the sacred grain of the Incas. I don't know if it has increased my psychic abilities, but I don't eat it that often, because it is a little expensive.

Newfreedom9
27-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Hmm I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation. :smile:

Louisa
28-05-2012, 01:38 PM
You're welcome. Hope you like it. I like to cook it with olive oil and dried, rehydrated mushrooms, and a bit of seasoning (maybe italian seasoning).

Juliette
30-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Hello, I'm gluten free.
I've heard of a lot of people being the same way as this but for about the past... decade or more, I've just been constantly lethargic, constantly sick, constant doctor appointments for minor yet completely life ruining infections, illnesses and general malaise. It sucks being gluten intolerant because most people don't even realize they are and it can literally ruin your life.

So taking it out is hard because EVERYTHING tasty has gluten in it lol, pizza, homecooked foods, savory foods etc. all the treats we love! But it is definitely worth it taking it out. I also found that after taking out gluten you might like to try so yourself, for those that have a sensitivity to gluten often have sensitivities to other things too: peanuts, corn(not the vegetable but side products) soy (especially soy!) and dairy.

Those are all foods like gluten where you will not have a sensitivity to it when you are born, but they build up over time, so most of the people that are gluten intolerant, now 20-30 years down the line have a definite sensitivity to most of those foods. once you take it out you feel amazing!

And then after that I pretty much just turned raw vegan, it was worth the switch, never feel sick anymore, feel great, my career is back on track and I feel like I am myself again for the first time since I was a child! (just have to make sure you do it right otherwise the diet can be extremely dangerous)

So for all you gluten intolerant's out there, look at the other allergenic food and take them out, see if you feel better, can't hurt to test it out a bit:)

Newfreedom9
31-05-2012, 03:23 AM
I've tried taking out all those things for a few weeks. It didn't help clear up my acne though yet. I am going mostly raw vegan too, and I'm having trouble eating enough calories. You just have to eat soo much!! So if you have tips on how to "do it right" I would be so appreciative!! :smile: I'm really new to this.

Charliemcsnarly
31-05-2012, 01:50 PM
I've been struggling away for nearly a year now and still not got it right. I think I'm intolerant to casein in dairy too, which took me a long time to figure out. (60% of celiacs are). That and gluten acts like heroin on my brain and the withdrawals are unspeakably painful and last about a month.

My advice would be don't trust anything that says it's gluten free, that's often **** or just really bad for you anyway. Don't trust any processed foods. Everything should be natural. Veg, fruit, nuts, seeds, beans, organic meat, millet, quinoa etc.

You'll appreciate food more than ever if you get it right. And you'll be healthier than ever.

7luminaries
04-06-2012, 02:00 PM
If you are gluten intolerant & you are going gluten & (cows milk) dairy free...first...you are saving your life over the long run! Congratulations & stay the course.

If you have an allergy or sensitivity to wheat (which is common enough) on top of being gluten intolerant, you may be able to reduce or mediate that immune response.

But if you are truly gluten intolerant, it is a genetic thing. You can't "get over it" with anything but a reworking of your genetic code at the most material levels. Do you want to spend your life force with very advanced healing on on a rather useless project which is not immediately necessary for life?
Instead, just buck up & muster the discipline to say no ;)

If you cut the gluten out, that is all you need to do ;)

Times have changed and there is MUCH more available now, even for pastas & breads if you must have those regularly ;)

Find the tasty high-protein gluten free flours (lentils, garbanzos, millet, ground nut & seed flours such as almond meal, ground flax meal, etc) to supplement the basic rice & potato & maize flours & so forth.

2nd...I would be very careful about going vegan and also going gluten free & cows milk dairy free, all at once.

You definitely need enough quality protein in your diet to heal and maintain your health. For most of us, that includes (organic, wildcaught &/or free range if possible!) eggs, fish, perhaps poultry, and if possible a source of quality dairy products.

You may try goat & sheeps milk products like yoghurt & cheeses...these products are also much more likely to be small-scale, local, and organic in many places. You may have great luck there as I have, after going without any dairy for years. These dairly products are just completely different in your system and they may be compatible. And they are much higher quality than soy products, which are not ideal in large quantities for most.

There are many good websites for gluten free recipes & so forth.
I'll try to post a few later.

peace & blessings,
7L

Newfreedom9
04-06-2012, 02:55 PM
I have been mostly vegetarian for over a year now, so I'm used to that. I do still have eggs and higher quality grains like you mentioned. I like dairy, but right now I'm not going to try goats milk until I'm completely cleared up. I don't drink soy milk either, but I did think about trying almond milk. It just looks like it'd be a pain to make yourself and there is so much **** in the store bought kinds that I haven't tried it. I just don't want to risk anything at the moment. Better I get cleared up first and then try different things.

7luminaries
04-06-2012, 03:51 PM
I would definitely try to find a good source of real dairy as soon as possible, if you can tolerate it :)

After all,l we are not here to mortify and flagellate the body ;) but to heal & sustain it, and to live in balance with all things.

peace & blessings,
7L

emilyhoney
23-07-2013, 07:06 AM
hi love! i have made the switch since gluten makes me feel sick and causes cystic acne breakouts for me.

amy's brand of frozen food has some great gluten free options (rice macaroni & cheese, rice crust pizza) and they are all vegetarian. lots of vegan options too.

i love rice, so i try to make nice rice dishes, like mushroom risotto, vegetarian paella, "fried" rice (boiled rice with a bit of toasted sesame oil and soy sauce drizzled over it, with veggies & egg)... you can even make rice pudding with coconut milk, dates, cashews, dried fruits...

another option for pizza crust is to slice up cauliflower and use that as a crust in the oven! it sounds odd but if you cook it right, it tastes great.

xx

renewe
28-07-2013, 04:39 PM
I've always been a bit overweight, feeling bloated often and since living/eating gluten free I've lost weight, gained energy and feeling great! Secret is to not try replace gluten-products with other refined foods, but rather eat as close to the source as possible.

Think veggies, fruits, sprouts! If you start exploring, you'll discover a whole new world of tastes and flavours. Salads galore, you could also get a dehydrator which you can use to make sprout-and-seed cookies, flat breads or pizza bases.

To give you some other ideas of things to try out as ingredients for salads and dishes; I really enjoy chickpeas, spelt, avocado, red peppers, spinach, muchrooms, butter beans, bananas, nuts, seeds (esp linseeds and sunflower seeds), mint, lemon, carrots, beetroot, leeks.... Mmmm, now I'm feeling pekish again! I agree with emilyhoney, rice is also awesome to make easy and delicious meals, and cauliflower is also super to use instead of pasta!

I have always loved waffles and havent used my waffle machine for two years, lending it to my mom in the meantime, but she returned it. Rather than giving it away completely yet I've now bought a gluten-free flour (potato or tapioca, I think) and going to try make my own glutenfree waffles. I'll try remember to report my success or failure here!

Tobi
29-07-2013, 12:25 AM
No I'm not gluten-free.
But many years ago when I was in my 30's I was getting horrible pains in my joints. A friend suggested I tried going gluten-free. I didn't believe it would make any difference.
So anyway I did it -strictly. In 10 days the pains in my joints had disappeared and didn't come back like that.
I stayed gluten-free for about 18 months, then lapsed....and haven't bothered since. But there was no recurrence of the pains the way they had been.
It might have been co-incidence? I don't know.

lovingkind
03-08-2013, 02:08 AM
Hi there! I know how hard it can be gluten free and even harder if you are vegetarian also. I use some gluten free products just to eat healthier. It's been trial and error. Gluten free foods have actually gotten better over the past several years and now there is more a variety available. Anyway...I thought I would share what I feel are pretty good products. The Kinnikinnik breads are pretty good - They have white and whole grain-and they are gluten free. There are many good pastas. There are rice, quinoa and corn. I think one of my favorites is Orgran gluten free pastas. They one which has rice and corn combined which gives it a softer texture. A lot of the specialty products have gotten better over time so hopefully you can find some to your liking. I wish you good luck!

Arcturus
08-08-2013, 08:57 AM
there's gluten free and gluten free. some cannot tolerate rice, corn or buckwheat, which are gluten free supposedly. some folk avoid all grains. amaranth is another good one, along with quinoa. takes a bit of practise but cooks well and is very nutritious. sweet potatoes are a good main meal, as is yam if you can get hold of it. all food musdt be organic so you know its a frood allergy and not a pesticide allergy. pesticides in the diet will defo contribute to more and stronger allergies.