PDA

View Full Version : Want to learn more about shamanism

Curious77
13-04-2012, 05:59 AM
I'm a student at University of California, Davis in California, and I am curious about shamanism. I know only very little about it, so I don't understand a lot of things and terminology. Where can I go to learn about shamanism and contacting spirits near Davis?

And what are some good online resources about shamanism?

norseman
13-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Oh, Oh ! Prepare to enter the minefield ! :D

Quintessence
13-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Are you asking about indigenous/tribal Shamanism or Neoshamanism? There's quite a bit of difference between the two.

Curious77
15-04-2012, 05:45 AM
What's the difference? And I've also heard of Core shamanism. What's the difference between that and Indigenous and Neoshamanism?

Quintessence
15-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Core Shamanism would be a type of Neoshamanism; it's basically an attempt to extract unified principles from various Shamanic practices across the globe and make it accessible to outsiders. With indigenous/tribal Shamanism, you have to be born into that culture in order to practice it or somehow get adopted into the tribe/culture. To put it simply, Neoshamanism is an open tradition and indigenous/tribal is a closed tradition. There are, of course, individuals who borrow from the closed traditions. This is sometimes met with frowning faces by those who are part of these traditions, and hence arises some of the controversy Norseman was alluding to earlier. Some would argue that all Neoshamanism is a hackneyed rip-off of genuine indigenous/tribal religious practices.

Another interesting distinction some people make is between being a Shaman or shamanic practitioner. Core Shamanism would be a shamanic practice; you're using techniques that are shamanic and probably mixing it with some other religious/spiritual beliefs. To be a Shaman is a role bestowed upon you by your community (such as being clergy), which usually only happens if you're part of an indigenous/tribal culture.

norseman
16-04-2012, 10:08 AM
My simplistic definition of Shamanism is one who acts through local spirits for the benefit of the "tribe" - ritualistic and traditional in nature. A rather rough and ready definition but I think it serves :smile:

Troll_ov_Grimness
16-04-2012, 01:02 PM
I have a very loose definition of shamanism.. have drum-will travel

Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP7TzWbLWag)

Every shaman is unique..

I would hardly call myself a shaman I live in an apartment with family and don't have much opportunity to perform playing music. One day I will get a bass and raise a family of musicians I want to have lots of music in the house someday.

I consider passive mediumship to be shamanism a lot can be attained without any trance. I would recommend looking into Taoism, Reiki, Yoga, Shinto and Korean shamanism for this kind of thing

Detroit Metal City (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-h-uPCYLM8) . A Japanese comedy inspired by European Death-Metal style bands..

Very funny and on the mark

Shamanism is very popular.. will always be very popular..
has never been in decline it is human nature

Curious77
18-04-2012, 09:40 PM
So it sounds like I have to be a core shaman or something like that. Where do I go to start? I live in Davis, near Sacramento.

Quintessence
19-04-2012, 12:17 AM
In California I can't imagine there aren't opportunities to take workshops in Core Shamanism from people who are trained in it. I'd check out their website, as well as local metaphysical stores and see what they have have in their networking ears. Many of the how-to Shaman books out there also stem from Core Shamanism, so you could snag one of those (particularly one with a drum-track CD) as well.

Triner
19-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Hi Curious,

Here's a couple of the books I've read on it:

"The Way of the Shaman" by Michael Harner
"Shamanic Journeying" by Sandra Ingerman
"Shamanism As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life" by Thomas Dale Cowan
"Urban Shaman" by Serge Kahili King

Not saying there the only info on it. Just something to start to give you a perspective on it.

Then there's http://www.shamanicteachers.com/ for some teachers... just start looking into on the web. If you were on the East coast, I could point out a few teachers... but I know nothing about the West coast.

Troll_ov_Grimness
23-04-2012, 10:42 PM
The joy of Korean shamanism is that you can practice easily by yourself
without using instruments for trance

The initiation can be done by your lonesome

if shamanism is characterized by ecstasy, trance, and possession,

the Korean way is roundabout like this,

You begin with communion. Its not really possession. Possession requires trance.

Communion brings ecstasy, and psychosis is expected

This is shamanism
There is no easy way to go through this
the way is hard
the way is true

shamanism is enduring hardship

Troll_ov_Grimness
23-04-2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/TrollOvGrimness

I give a good overview
there are book recommendations
its 1hr30min long (audio-cast)
I have playlist of favourites
most of it is shaman related

the TOV are rather unlikeable and they sound hokey but they have a collection of interesting books

it is a lot like korean shamanism

Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible, in the chapter 'On The Choice Of A Human Sacrifice', describes accurately the initiation of korean shamanism. by chance, it would seem, but it is there. he doesn't really advocate straight out, you have to wiggle it out of him.. he says The worthy magician in the ritual of sacrifice would sacrifice their own energy, not their blood, or a living creature, because this is gory and not the right idea, but your 'ki', as he calls it bioelectrical energy

this is precisely how korean shamans initiate

in this way, for people who are fans of LaVey's writing.. korean shamanism is rather obscure (they were known as the Hermit Kingdom for a reason) but it will become better known over time...

at present there is a really excellent drama that aired and has finished...
DramaFever DOT com (http://www.dramafever.com) . you can watch it for free...
THE MOON THAT EMBRACES THE SUN
it features korean shamanism, and taoism prominently.. as well as confucianism plays a role (antecedent opponent of shamanism)

the last episode closes with a traditional shaman dance

Troll_ov_Grimness
23-04-2012, 10:54 PM
As an aside,
I strongly suspect wendigo psychosis, be it undesired or not, to be the same phenonemon as korean shamanism. as well arctic hysteria. these are not lies or bad anthropology they are reports of a real phenonemon

but whereas wendigo psychosis is considered a curse and undesired, in its respective culture,

in Korea!
in their shamanism,
they seek, and venerate, that experience

be aware that this is what Korean Shamanism entails
but it has the advantage of being uncommonly authentic

you are without any master,
without any accoutrements,
naked as it were (I even encourage doing this in the nude)
but you can still experience this

its extreme but it is also special and peculiar to have this immensely powerful life changing experience

but no one will hand you a certificate

koreans have been under the pressure of corrupt officialdom for many years, lots of pain there

and no official will give you a title

it is 100% solitary

in this way
every shaman is unique

and it is transnational

you cannot take a course in this

it is above that
imho

Curious77
23-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Ok, thanks, Troll! I'll give it a try.

Troll_ov_Grimness
27-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Something to consider,

Korean Shamanism is very far from 'core' Shamanism
being a specific culture.. you might consider this to be too alienating

however,
new shamans coming into the path can, and do, enter as outsiders.

it is not a hereditary tradition

learning the actual mythology, culture, folk customs, can only be done in a hereditary way or by someone of this culture

but there is this other side to it as I said that is spontaneous, solitary, and coming into as an outsider.

https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/2020

here's a short article about this that you can read

The advantage to doing this is that the initiatory communion can be done in the nude by yourself. figuratively and literally. you need only yourself and isolation

what they have in Korea is venerated kundalini syndrome
and they use 'ki' syncretized with Taoist ideas in sorcery and magic