PDA

View Full Version : Natural remedy for menstrual cramps?

Invidia Luxe
11-04-2012, 03:04 AM
I want to stop taking over the counter pain medication for my menstrual cramps. Is there a natural alternative? I've also thought about ways to have mental power over the pain. Is there a way to do that?

ribiq
11-04-2012, 03:08 AM
I would recommend energy work with a focus on energizing the lower chakras

knightofalbion
11-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Try this...

http://www.nutripeople.com/condition/ginger-may-ease-menstrual-cramps

Kristin050585
12-04-2012, 12:59 AM
I found a couple different things that might help. One is called cramp bark, it comes from europe. Also catnip or peppermint tea can help ease the cramps. Hope it helps.

Kaere
12-04-2012, 01:02 AM
I find that putting some tuna in my diet helps - like a tuna casserole or just a sandwich. Potassium can help with muscle cramps so it might be worth it to increase the number of bananas you eat. Sitting down with a hot water bottle and a book also helps me.

Xan
12-04-2012, 01:36 AM
StarSkye... Evening primrose oil is an herbal medicine for women's issues, among other things. It needs to be taken every day, not just when there is cramping.

Here's a good article about it: http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-evening-primrose.html

Also... oddly enough, when I used to take Ibuprofen for cramps my other pms symtoms decreased too.

Xan

psychoslice
12-04-2012, 02:13 AM
A good healthy diet is important, as toxins will find their way out of a weak area such as menstruation, also i have found that evening primrose oil capsules help, i had a woman come to me once that had endometriosis, she couldn't get pregnant, so i put her on a fruit cleansing diet and evening primrose capsules in about two months she got pregnant. This is when i was a practicing naturopathy, all the best to you.

Newfreedom9
22-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I've had bad cramps for a long time. Usually they start in the middle of the night which is annoying! lol. When they're during the day I used a hot pack on my stomach and that helped. (I put white rice in a sock and warmed it up, but you can also use a cup of tea or bowl of soup there and enjoy it too.)

Last month I didn't have any cramping at all. I think it's because I was in the sun so much the week leading up to it. I've heard that sun is a natural anti-inflammatory so that would make sense. Also last year I switched to cloth pads and a diva cup because I heard that the chemicals in unnatural pads/tampons can worsten cramping and your period.

And I agree with psychocoslice pain/illness is a sign of nutritional deficiency. Making sure you're eating healthy and getting exercise will help too in every area of your life. Course I thought I was eating healthy, but a week ago I found out I was gluten intolerant, so I wasn't eating healthy for me.

L88
23-04-2012, 04:32 AM
Reduce/eliminate sugar and caffeine intake.

Berry
14-05-2012, 09:43 PM
I used to have a lot of cramping too until I started taking flaxeed and flaxeed oil. I'm not sure if it's the flaxeed or an increase in exercise that did it for me.

On a similar subject, has anyone tried Lady's Mantle, Sage, and Shepard's Purse herbal teas to stop heavy menstral bleeding? I do take Lysteda as needed but I would like to avoid it if possible.

L88
22-09-2012, 02:05 AM
I've followed a vegan diet for the last 6 months, I've literally not had one menstrual cramp or any pain. That alone is enough for me to stick with the change in what I eat, but I've also noticed so many other great benefits too.

Belle
22-09-2012, 08:19 PM
It's a curse it's a curse.

I want to run away from the painkillers and drugs but it's so sore and gets sorer by the month.

I'm in a bit of a stew about it as it's been so uncomfortable that I daren't dodge the painkillers. I do take magnesium as I was deficient and I need to try and see how that works out in reality without the painkillers. It's a catch 22 tho - with the pain I have to take the painkillers at the first sign of trouble. Maybe next month I'll ease of the drugs ...??

Sapphirez
03-01-2013, 08:35 PM
hi! it's been a while since this thread was posted in, but I wanted to say that if you're still having trouble, I had great success with a homeopathic remedy for cramps..

I used the brand Hyland's; they have a formula simply called PMS and another called Menstrual Cramps. I think I've used both and either worked as I currently have both of them now.. however, I barely ever take them now because I don't need them!
when I first took it, my cramps disappeared within minutes! and the same happened for my mother who I gave some too. this happened the vast majority of the time I took them

now let me just say that I think if you are experiencing pain and discomfort from your period it's a sign that something is not right within you.. they say that women shouldn't have menopausal symptoms like they do, it's just the unwell state of the person that causes all that stuff, otherwise it would be a relatively painless transition...
so I am of the opinion that your monthly period follows the same tune..

I totally recommend the homeopathic remedy, but there are other things that work great too. you can always google if you need to find an alternative, but I would definitely try the homeopathy. those bottles I mentioned are less than $10 each and come with a long-lasting supply.

if anyone is going to take my advice, I will include here an important note about taking homeopathic remedies:
when taking an oral dose that's meant to dissolve under your tongue (which the kind I recommended is) you are supposed to have a "clean" mouth, which constitutes not eating, drinking or smoking anything (except water unless it's polluted or something) 10-15 minutes before and after taking the remedy.
the little pills are like sugar pills but can be kind of chalky so I do recommend making sure your thirst is quenched before taking it

I hope this can help someone, because we don't need to be in such pain every month! ♥

Lucid68
03-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Calcium and Vitamin D tablets worked for me :)

scoobawater
23-03-2013, 06:12 AM
Cal-mag tablets and vitex/chaste berry extract (Femaprin is supposedly the best brand), also avoiding any meat/dairy that might contain added hormones.

7luminaries
08-04-2013, 12:06 AM
Wow...all of the above are good suggestions.
You do need to check your diet. I am gluten and cow's dairy intolerant.
So whilst still eating gluten in my 20s, none of my nutrients were being properly absorbed, and my cramps were terrible no matter how many vitamins I took.
Light protein (like tuna, eggs, or yoghurt) is great, though, all else equal.

I have found that vitamin C, calcium and b-complex are key...need at least 1 month (or up to 2 cycles) before seeing some help.
Many find that D, E, and fish oil supplements help, as some have mentioned.

In general, nutrients and herbals, including teas, that strengthen the blood and calm the nerves will help.

BUT
Vitex/Chasteberry extract every day on top of all the others is what relieved me of the need to take much if any ibuprofen. Now I hardly ever need it.
The others didn't hurt but didn't help me so much...plus, though I didn't have terrible PMS as some do, I think that I do feel that the vitex/chasteberry extract does noticeably support you at that time.

Peace & blessings,
7L

missrachel300
08-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Dong Quai is supposed to be very helpful for different kinds of menstrual problems. You can take it in a pill or make it into tea.... It will also probably thin your blood (which can be good or bad depending on your health issues).

scoobawater
08-04-2013, 07:14 PM
I've recently found a Yogi tea - Woman's Moon Cycle - that contains both Dong Quai Root & Chaste Berry. I know with chaste berry you have to wait 3-4 cycles to see results and should be used regularly, so not too sure how effective this tea is. The directions on the box says to drink 4-5 cups throughout the day during premenstrual days.

moonincancer
13-04-2013, 08:45 AM
eating a banana first thing in the morning esp on a couple of days before and during the period helps prevent painful cramps...possibly because of magnesium.

Antheia
19-04-2013, 02:54 PM
This is quite an old thread, but I wanted to add to all the great suggestions here that I have found that crampbark tincture (don't try to make a tea, it tastes awful) and raspberry leaf tea work wonders. The raspberry leaf tea also tastes great so it is an easy remedy to take.

Also, just be very careful with herbal remedies. Read up as much as you can. A lot of remedies contain phytoestrogens and, if you are estrogen dominant, you may not want to add to that.

alamode
07-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Use only natural pads. Don't use tampons. I think the Diva Cup might be ok. But I personally use cloth pads. The commercial tampons and commercial menstrual pads have nasty chemicals in them that certainly don't help for menstrual cramps.

Menstrual cramps can also be related to diet. Magnesium deficiencies. I drink plenty of raw grass-fed milk and that is a good source of magnesium.

Belle
08-07-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm despairing! The last few months have been agony.

I eat a lot of bananas, and green leafy things and take magnesium supplements.

I was stunned to receive a stab of pain as opposed to the normal cramps last month. You know the shot out of the blue which had me doubled up.

ChristopherKoch
15-02-2016, 04:16 AM
Natural ingredient is the best medicine to cure from any disease. I think we should always prefer to use natural medicines rather than getting medicines from chemist. As this oil given has so many health benefits specially for women, to improve menstrual cycle.The most common natural remedies include:
Exercising,Heating pad ,Acupuncture,Abdominal massage,Warm baths,Yoga,Adequate sleep.

To Get More Information Here on How to get Menstrual Cramp Relief .

Silver
15-02-2016, 07:31 AM
Nobody in my family drank much, but my grandmother had a small bottle of wine in the cupboard for menstrual cramps, and it was about the only thing that sometimes worked - sometimes not.

AmyNickiD
17-03-2017, 03:17 AM
nothing expert my partners sister recently told me about a menstrual cup, now they sound gross at first. BUT THEY ARE AWESOME. YOU CAN WEAR THEM FOR 12 HOURS. WASH THEM OUT AND REINSERT. MOST PEOPLE REPORT A REDUCTION IN PERIOD PAIN. AND A LOT SHORTER AND LIGHTER PERIODS. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO PADS OR TAMPONS ANY MORE AND I HAVE ONLY USED IT ONCE!

AmyNickiD
17-03-2017, 03:18 AM
best thing is they can last for like 10 years, buy it off ebay its reusable, hospital grade material and all you need to do is clean it twice a day and sterilise after each period.

Tobi
18-03-2017, 12:42 AM
I will use herbal medicines for absolutely anything I get wrong with me. They have worked well for me over the years with remarkable results. Some bad infections I have cured within 3 days or so.
But there was only ONE thing that ever helped me with menstrual pain (and it was very bad every month) -and that was a couple of painkillers. Without them I would be doubled up, with them I could walk, eat and sleep. I am glad they were invented!

BrightRose
23-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Try honey and lemon. Warm of course. :)

Shaolan
11-04-2017, 03:55 AM
It's so weird how some treatments totally work for some and not at all for others! I think I've tried at least 10-15 different natural treatments/healing methods for menstrual cramps and truthfully, the only thing that seems to work for me is a dong quai based herbal tincture.
Every month, on my first day, I would be in terrible pain, so much that I wouldn't be able to do anything but lie down and cry until it would get better, about 3-4 hours after.
The first time I tried the tincture it worked so well I couldn't believe it! For the first time in many years I was able to do stuff on my first bleeding day! I was merely uncomfortable!
I used it again this month but this time I unfortunately had a good 30 minutes of horrible pain, which is still better compared to the usual 3-4 hours non-stop. Not long after I found I had expulsed a really big chunk of endometrium so no wonder I was in such pain! ×_× Now if I could stop having those big clots I'd be happy!

rainbow.sprinkles
12-04-2017, 08:47 PM
I don't think honeybush tea has been mentioned in this thread yet.

it works great for me, after a cup or 2 my cramps have gone away completely. and depending on what's available in your area, you might be able to get a nice herbal mix with other flavours added to it. of course that means less of the actual honeybush per cup. personally I think plain honeybush tea tastes quite nice.

Berry
13-04-2017, 11:04 AM
I don't think extreme pain, heavy flow, and clots are normal. Please get seen and have those issues checked out prior to natural remedies, especially a complete blood work. The flaxseed and raspberry leave tea eventually did nothing for me. I had severe endometriosis and anemia that required drastic measures that most likely saved my life.

Shaolan
13-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I have already seen doctors in the past for my menstrual symptoms and it seems I'm 'normal'. Mmh :rolleyes:

I know many people who have the same inconveniences as me, but they do take prescribed medication for the pain, while I don't want to.
Doctors also suggest to take the pill to ease the symptoms and make the cycle more regular, but I don't want that either.

I know some of these symptoms can be due to some serious condition like endometriosis, but in my case I think it's mainly a hormonal imbalance.
I will have a bloodwork done soon and it might give me valuable information. Then I will go see a naturopath if I need to. :smile:

Green.Heals
05-11-2017, 05:39 AM
Primrose oil, cramp bark, there are other tea's/herbs you can try as well. Krill Oil. I forget how it is taken, I used it for some time, I thought it was helpful.

You might look into endometriosis. Hormonal health. Acupuncture.

Increase daily water intake.

I also use raspberry leaf tea, sometimes it is helpful, but not always.

Shivani Devi
16-11-2017, 10:58 AM
When I was younger, my grandma would give me a teaspoon of powdered ginger mixed in warm water and a hot water bottle...did the trick.

I've also tried dong quai, which helped and an old Chinese doctor recommended hawthorn berry tea...which was excellent!

So, those things I have found helpful:

Ginger
Hawthorn berry extract
Dong Quai
Wild Asparagus
Sesame seeds
Vitamin B6

...and a hot water bottle. =)

Tobi
18-11-2017, 01:27 AM
There may be acupressure points to help with menstrual pain. You maybe should check that out.

The other night I had a nerve pain in my arm (old pain which is mostly gone but occasionally comes back for a few hours) I used the acupressure point in the hand for it, giving gentle firm pressure for 30 seconds, in 2 stages. Then I fell asleep, and in the morning there was no more pain.

dream jo
19-11-2017, 12:19 AM
dnt no iv tryd a few thns all i no pms can trn me in 2 a syco frm hell it can

travelingwithin
02-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Hot water bottle, ginger and magnesium do the trick for my wife's menstrual cramps. But not always...it depends on the level of stress as well.

trixiewilbury
02-01-2018, 06:46 PM
Helpful thread - good info here, lots to try! Thanks everyone.

trixiewilbury
02-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Oh, and when it's been extremely bad, I have tried mind over matter since anything over the counter messes with my cycle and I would rather not use it anyway. Me, clenched in pain: "I acknowledge that the body is an illusion, I thank these pains for everything they have taught me, now I say goodbye! You are illusory and I am well, healed and whole." Nothing is an immediate fix, lol. I'll make note of some of these teas and oils.

Spearmint Leaf
02-01-2018, 11:05 PM
Don't wait until you have the debilitating cramps.
STOP them before they start.
About one week prior to your cycle start drinking a mixture of
organic calcium/magnesium rich Tisane.
( or for serious Cramp-Relief-Annihilator-Women : drink every single day)

A simple mixture of Organic Red Raspberry Leaves steeped overnight in
distilled water in a Mason Jar and then squeezed thoroughly is usually strong enough to annihilate the cramps.
Drink every day of the month not just during the cycle.

If that's not strong enough then drink Organic Red Raspberry Leaves, Shavegrass, Nettles & Oatstraw mixture everyday or starting at least one week prior to cycle. ( all herbs must be 100% organic )

IF you only steep the herbs for 5 or 10 minutes or whatever the recommended steeping time states, then it is still too weak .
It needs to be a strong Medicinal Concoction to do anything to help you.

For people that don't understand menstrual cramps I usually compare it
to the same pain as Charlie Horses and that same concoction above relieves Charlie Horses, too.

If you use store bought Tea Bags out of a box then you'll probably need to use four TeaBags compared to one serving made by you .

If you drank this everyday for a month ( but even a week is better than nothing ) your menstrual cycle pain will be reduced to zero and the flow reduced to a minimal and you'll have to learn how to live with no cramps and minimal / normal flow. Then you'll save money on feminine products and also feel healthier and happier and nourished as well.

HUG :)

dream jo
02-01-2018, 11:11 PM
lst 1 wz 3 or 4 days bit 1sy day hrf hevy thn very lit for day hrf
i thng im goin thru menapos big tim now i am

Spearmint Leaf
03-01-2018, 12:02 AM
Congratulations Dream Jo !!
Menopause is wonderful when you have Mother Nature nourishing you !!

dream jo
03-01-2018, 12:10 AM
wen i 1st got pms wen i wz 13 i thrt i wz dyin i did coz of blood coz in th days 80s no 1 tld us abot it mush
now kids lern abot abot 10 or 9 thy do i had 2 fnd hrd way i did
now no 43 pms evth lite or hevy
i no by symtems way thy goin im goij trhu penaprse i am jus bit word in cae i get cnaser lk 1 of my anti did wne wen she did go trhu menaapse she did
i no it hapns in 40s/50s it duz
my nxt lif i will be a man
if im a femal agan i wil demd a sex chnge 2 be a man
thy dnt suffr lk we do
thy 1s it mak us suffr thy do
sorry 2 say it 2 men reedin it
thy nslt us wen we get pms
why dnt ty get pms or menapors
i demnd my nxt lif let me be a man

Spearmint Leaf
03-01-2018, 12:50 AM
Dream Jo , if you're worried about getting Cancer just add some
Red Clover Tops into your Tea Blend.

Don't let anyone insult you if you get PMS or are going through Menopause....
perhaps drink some Tea with them and be happy you're a woman :)

PoppyBlue
07-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Organic Blackstrap molasses. unsulphured.

I couldn't stand the taste so I bought empty capsules. I take one capsule a day and my periods have been heavenly ever since. Before they came with bad cramps and heavy fatigue. I read it also keeps gray hair at bay. I'm 41 so either I'm really lucky or it works :wink:

Golden Eagle
26-02-2018, 02:25 PM
oona 1 PMS

and

oona 2 PMS

aimtobe
26-02-2018, 10:54 PM
This probably wasn't a thing when you originally posted this thread, and I'm not sure it's been said already.

A couple months ago I took turmeric in a capsule and it relieved my cramps. There's also exercise and self-pleasure to get those pain-killin' neurotransmitters already in your body back to work. ;)

:)14:)
13-03-2018, 01:59 PM
For years, I had menstrual cramps with such severe pain that most painkillers didn't work and every time a series was over, I felt I wasn't the same person anymore.

What helped me was the type of acupuncture where they place tiny threads under the skin, so that one has to go for a treatment only every third week.

The doctor must have changed something in my "bio-settings" because after regular treatment for some months, the debilitating cramps were gone.

((During that 3 weeks, the threads are there and are stimulating the acupuncture points, they are absorbed by the body by the 3rd week.))

Hypno
28-04-2018, 08:11 PM
Why menstrual cramps happen
It’s common to feel discomfort around your abdomen, lower back, and thighs when you’re menstruating. During your period, the muscles of your womb contract and relax to help shed built-up lining. Sometimes you’ll experience cramps, which are your muscles at work. Some women and girls may experience nausea, vomiting, headaches, or diarrhea as well.

Doctors aren’t sure why some women experience painful menstruation and others don’t. But some factors that are associated with more intense pain include:

having a heavy blood flow
having your first child
being under the age of 20, or just starting your period
having an overproduction of or sensitivity to prostaglandins, a hormone that influences your womb

Other factors include growths in your womb, endometriosis (abnormal uterine tissue growth), and use of birth control.

For mild to temporary cramps, some home remedies can help provide relief. Read on for tips on getting fast relief and how to potentially lessen the pain during your next cycle.

1. Taking over-the-counter medications
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are the primary over-the-counter form of pain relief recommended for menstrual pain and heavy menstrual bleeding. NSAIDs include ibuprofen (Advil) and naproxen (Aleve, Naproxen). These drugs help lower your body’s production of prostaglandin. NSAIDs aren’t as effective as oral contraception, but they can help reduce pain.
For immediate relief, try …
2. Applying heat
Applying heat to your abdomen and lower back may relieve pain. A 2012 study focused on women 18 to 30 years old who had regular menstrual cycles found that a heat patch at 104°F (40°C) was as effective as ibuprofen.

If you don’t have a hot water bottle or heating pad, take a warm bath or use a hot towel. Or you can make your own heating pad:

1 Cut and sew together two pieces of fabric, leaving a hole at the top.
2 Fill with uncooked rice and sew up the hole.
3 Microwave for a few minutes to the desired temperature. Don’t overheat!
4 Let cool, if necessary. Or wrap your homemade pad in a towel to reduce
heat transfer. Reuse as necessary.

3. Massaging with essential oils
Massage therapy for about 20 minutes can help reduce menstrual pain. One study looked at women with period pain caused by endometriosis. The researchers found that massages significantly reduced pain immediately and afterward. Massage therapy for menstruation involves pressing specific points while the therapist’s hands move around your abdomen, side, and back.

sebakpl11
22-09-2019, 10:14 PM
Although exercise may be the last thing that many women feel like doing when they have cramps, it may provide pain relief.

Strenuous exercise might not be beneficial if a person is in pain, but gentle stretching, going for a walk, or doing yoga may help. Exercise also releases endorphins, which are nature's natural pain relievers.

A Taiwanese study found that 12 weeks of twice-weekly yoga classes reduced menstrual cramps in the study participants.

Nitesh1206
28-09-2019, 07:57 AM
Hey there, that's a great question

codrin13
01-10-2019, 09:23 AM
apples are so usefull