PDA

View Full Version : The Ancestors

IsleWalker
07-04-2012, 04:48 PM
I just finished watching another episode of a show called "Who Do You Think You Are?". In it, "famous people" search for information about their ancestors. It is sponsored by ancestry.com.

I watch each episode waiting for that moment when I see and feel the emotion of past ancestors as it floods over these people.

I know that moment or those moments will come because I experienced it myself many times while doing my own ancestry research. Somewhere in the putting together of clues, the searching of these old, source documents, sometimes written in their own hand, a chill comes over you, emotion comes through --and I'm sure I've just had contact with one of my ancestors. It's very spiritual.

I see that moment come through on this show. Someone connects with the pain of a 10 year old girl who lost her mother at 2 and father at 10. It seems like we each go searching for something that is important to us, that means something to us.

Sometimes, the real truth of a life that has been misrepresented through family history, comes through. And then I wonder if that ancestor wanted the truth to be known, even, in our terms, so many years later.

A few times, I've had an entire scene "play out" in my head as I researched, with details that were not in the records. I think I may have a more direct connection to that ancestor.

It makes me know that indigenous people were right in their honoring of The Ancestors. They are spirit connections that we can have, that can help us along in our own journey. I'm sorry this attitude is no longer prevalent.

Mr Interesting
08-04-2012, 09:35 PM
It's still very prevalent in aboriginal peoples but it can tend to be somewhat stifling as it's only part of the equation. For starters it tends to be either matriarchal or patriarchal and that immediately cuts us off from info to the power of four.

If I go back 4 generations that's four men or women but in reality there's 8 women and 8 men. Go back far enough and we're simply related to everyone!

I'm not trying to diminish what you say but just bring a little perspective.

What I've found is the crossbreeding between ancestors and past lives and how all this makes itself known in our present as a way to understand why we become aimed in specific directions and why we might require that aiming.

What most readily affects me is that everybody is so intermingled that to define differences is really quite silly.

IsleWalker
08-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Mr. Interesting,

I understand what you're saying. I have always felt weird about the whole DNA connection because I know that, as spirit, we might very well skip from one line to another.

And this connection thing, I don't think has as much to do with who you are related to, I think it's just that someone is focusing their psyche on the artifacts of your life (or someone who has passed). I think the same phenomenon can happen researching a non-related person. It's why people feel the chill in front of gravestones or in older houses sometimes.

And, yes, you are right--go back far enough and everyone is related to everyone. Genetically, it's been traced back about 70,000 years to the Seven Sisters of Africa.

I think that there is energy that we can't see that weaves the particular DNA of a lifetime into the infinite energy of the multiple-soul who inhabits that life and all the people (energies) that have intersected that energy. What it creates, I think, is the fabric of the multi-verse, the Collective Consciousness, Source or whatever one chooses to call it. It is a web of energy. Each interaction we have had, with any other consciousness, is recorded and always available to us (with the right "mindset").

I also have a feeling that when indigenous peoples talked about "The Ancestors"--they weren't restricting it to people "related" to them--but to elders of the tribe, spirits that have helped the tribe, etc. So it wasn't matriarchal or patriarchal.

I have no idea what power of the four is. What do you mean by that?

IsleWalker - Lora

earthstarr
09-04-2012, 09:23 AM
I understand what your saying :) I have spent the last few years doing my family tree. I have had connections with a few of my ancestors and had events played out in my head, these events have often given me clues as to where to look for information next. I feel i now know these people although yes we are all related eventually theres nothing like your own family group. My nan has been vital in my resaerch, she has often come through with a message to help me, for example, teeling me i was looking at the wrong church for information and that I was missing a sister in her mothers family........ all very useful in my quest. My great great grandfather came to me to help when I had an unwanted spirit in my home :) What i wasn't expecting was to find so much out about myself, little quirks and ways that we all have suddenly seemed to make sense, this i can't explain. the whole process has been an eye opener and when i return to spirit i no longer will meet up with family strangers but people i know :)

IsleWalker
09-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Earthstarr,

Sounds like you've had some great experiences. I just think it's one more way of experiencing connection. And you're right--they help along the way. Sometimes I would do a sort of random Google search and find out an answer I was looking for.

I wasn't really one of those people who keeps track of relatives. I started because I had some inkling that one of my grandfathers, who had died before I was born, was helping me at a particular time.

With the ancestry.com stuff, it gets kind of addictive--you keep getting spinning leaves on this person and that person and pretty soon you're back to prerecorded time! (well, almost :)

I do think other spirit who is already "known" to us can help out too, like in your case. I felt this grandfather to be a really kind, non-judgmental person but he was a pastor and missionary in the Presbyterian Church so...they tend to sort of stick to the rules.!

I eventually found his hand-written application to the church to be a missionary (written in 1902). When answering the question "Will you use all methods to convert persons in your mission to the church?"--he answered in this beautifully obtuse way: "I desire to use all of my skills in every area for the betterment of the church."

I was ecstatic because I could tell that he was squeamish about "forcing" someone into a religion. It said to me that he was who I thought he was. There are still 7 years of diaries he kept out there, but I haven't had the spare cash to spend for a genealogist to copy it. I got the answers I needed at that time.

I too was looking to put together little quirks and things about myself but I found I raised more questions than answers in that way.! Oh well, more mysteries!

Thanks for sharing.

IsleWalker - Lora

earthstarr
09-04-2012, 03:25 PM
IsleWalker, what a lovely story :) Some of my family have been very difficult to trace, due to adoption and alot of documents were destroyed in the war and in the fire in Ireland where alot of documents were held. Most of my family though have been in the Essex area for the last few hundred years. I have always been drawn to a certain seaside town, i was thrilled to find that generations of my family lived here. I was able to visit addresses and places that had been mentioned.
The real treasure came from my nan, when she passed we found a battered old briefcase full of letters, documents, newspaper cuttings, photos etc thats when my quest began :) On the very top of the paperwork was a birth cert for a family member noone knew existed! I've been able to piece the clues together that she left behind and have created something similar to a family bible that is soon to be circulated to current family members to pass down to future generations. There is biographies on family members, old letters and even a few recipies :) I have cried and laughed at some of the stories and learnt lessons too :)
From old army records of my grandads brother I learnt more about my brothers condition which helped him in a practical way and now has his condition under control........ amazing :)
In the first year of my research alot of these family members came through in my closed circle group (other members did not know of my research) which i found interesting, they were able to offer guidance to me in my personal life showing me that they still held an interest in my life even though there may be a few generations between us, i did ask about other members further back in the generations but was told they had moved on to higher planes. I didn't really understand at the time what was meant by this so started to learn about the ideas of higher planes, which then led me to other new ideas and teachings......... you know how it's said 'everything happens for a reason' :)