PDA

View Full Version : Lightning balls

Seawolf
04-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Have you ever heard of the phenomenon of lightning balls or encountered it?

I don't hear about it happening these days, but about 15 years ago, my (now deceased) grandmother told me that she it twice in her lifetime, once when she was a little girl and another in her 30's.

During a storm, one time a ball of fire came out of the telephone and started flying wildly around the room. She and her sisters were terrified because they didn't know what it was. The first time she saw it, it bounced around the room for a few seconds and then went out the chimney, the second time it went out through a window, breaking the glass. She said it looked like it was alive the way it moved.

Wizzy
11-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Have you ever heard of the phenomenon of lightning balls or encountered it?

I don't hear about it happening these days, but about 15 years ago, my (now deceased) grandmother told me that she it twice in her lifetime, once when she was a little girl and another in her 30's.

During a storm, one time a ball of fire came out of the telephone and started flying wildly around the room. She and her sisters were terrified because they didn't know what it was. The first time she saw it, it bounced around the room for a few seconds and then went out the chimney, the second time it went out through a window, breaking the glass. She said it looked like it was alive the way it moved.

I saw it once in my lifetime.

Quintessence
11-04-2012, 04:38 AM
I want one. Unfortunately, the closest I can get is having one of these:

http://www.coolstuffexpress.com/store/i/is.aspx?path=/shared/coolstuffexpress/AMIC/plasmaball5.jpg&w=350&h=350

norseman
11-04-2012, 10:36 AM
@Seawolf "Have you ever heard of the phenomenon of lightning balls or encountered it?"

Yes, I have seen it several times as well as ribbons of lightning.
I spend a lot of time on the moors of the North Pennines in Northern England [ about 2900 feet above sea level ] and one of the few Dark places in England. I used to camp out in the open overnight quite a lot on Cross Fell . During the summer months, it was fairly frequent to see it during storms. Ball lightning running across the heather and ribbon lightning running across the high ridges. :D
Odd sort of place, a shrieking wind, the Helm Wind being the only named wind in England. In ancient times known as Fiends Fell, home of evil spirits, said to be the origin of the name i.e. Cross = angry.
Weather can be grim at times - you takes your chances !

Seawolf
11-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks for sharing. Do you think it has any spiritual meaning?

It is possible people mistake ball lightning for ufos, because people often report seeing ufos all the time, but not usually ball lightning?

Has anyone experienced it coming in your home?

Dragonfhain
14-04-2012, 08:08 AM
I have never even heard of Lighting Balls before. Sounds interesting. I am going to look more into them. Also all the peoples stories are so interesting!