PDA

View Full Version : Queen Bees

knightofalbion
30-03-2012, 08:58 AM
The numbers of queen bees are being devastated by the use of pesticides, a new study reports

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17535769

Sarian
30-03-2012, 02:29 PM
I've been very troubled by the dwindling of bees in my area. Doesn't surprise me about pesticides.

Gracey
30-03-2012, 03:14 PM
85 percent is a huge drop. the world just wont function the same without bees.

knightofalbion
30-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Indeed, if there were no bees, or an insufficient number - and we're heading down that road - it would have a devastating effect on agricultural production.

Emmalevine
04-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Yes, my other half (who is studying biology) was talking about this just the other day.

It is very worrying and I sincerely hope action is taken soon before more numbers are lost.

CrazyDiamond
24-04-2012, 05:16 PM
When I heard about this me and my brother decided to buy bee hotels for the garden to attract more bees. Last month we had a Queen Bee and Honey bees going in and out and the numbers keep increasing!. It's good to see the garden thriving with life again.

knightofalbion
24-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Good for you! Sometimes Mother Nature needs a bit of a helping hand. No doubt she'll repay you many times over...

Arcturus
25-04-2012, 05:11 PM
rudolph steiner predicted the honey bee decline in the 20's.
there's a good film called "queen of the sun", here's an interview with the makers. bio-dynamic bee keeping offers a real helping hand to the bees i believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyOCUqhVkRY

Squatchit
27-04-2012, 03:46 PM
When I heard about this me and my brother decided to buy bee hotels for the garden to attract more bees. Last month we had a Queen Bee and Honey bees going in and out and the numbers keep increasing!. It's good to see the garden thriving with life again.

That's wonderful CrazyDiamond - good on yer! :smile:

I had a lovely thought as I read about bee hotels - do you reckon the Queen Bee automatically gets the penthouse? :tongue:

*buzz buzz*

CrazyDiamond
29-04-2012, 04:07 PM
That's wonderful CrazyDiamond - good on yer! :smile:

I had a lovely thought as I read about bee hotels - do you reckon the Queen Bee automatically gets the penthouse? :tongue:

*buzz buzz*

Only the very best for Mother Natures hardworker(s)