PDA

View Full Version : Any volves or seidmen here?

WhiteWarrior
24-03-2012, 04:01 PM
The title refers to the norse performers of psychic activities. Being a Norwegian I should know about this but I don't. Can anyone fill me in a little? I have already googled it myself, hint hint.

Animus27
24-03-2012, 04:13 PM
I don't really practice it (yet lol). But I do read a lot about it. What do you want to know?

WhiteWarrior
24-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Everything. Haha.

What were the tools, what were the ceremonies, and how do they compare with what we are doing in our time?

Animus27
24-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Everything. Haha.

What were the tools, what were the ceremonies, and how do they compare with what we are doing in our time?
Alright, well we have very scant records of seidr. As such, we don't know exactly what the seiðkona (seid-woman) and seiðmaðr (seid-man) of the Viking Age did when they worked it. Besides the fact that it usually involved sitting under a cloak, upon a roof, platform or seashore (all liminal places).

One of the most prominent features of seidr is that it's generally seen as a baleful type of magic (in contrast to the spácraft of the volva), most of the usage of it in Icelandic literature is that of deceit or harm, like causing landslides, illness, nightmares, or insanity. Understandably, it was seen with a lot of suspicion - especially due to the fact that most of the people connected with it were foreigners, like Lapplanders and Finns, which is interesting, since they were both shamanic cultures, and magic was seen as being their forte. Another reason that seidr itself was seen with dislike was the fact that many men who performed it were considered argr, which is a complex term that's closely associated with sexual perversion and weakness. Which has led to theories about seidr rites involving men being penetrated, or acting out other sexual practices. But, it doesn't have a ton of evidence to support that theory. Even so, seidr was closely associated with unmanliness; possibly because it allowed a person who defeat their enemies without open confrontation, which was considered dishonorable in Old Norse culture.

Nowadays there's a few people and groups who are working to reconstruct practices of seidr in modern context. One of the most prominent groups here in the USA is one created by Diana Paxson, whose group performs something they call oracular seidr - which is less historical seidr and more like spácraft built upon some large shamanistic elements. Spácraft itself is a form of soothsaying used to peer into the Ørlǫg of a group and thus see what the future may hold.

Another person who practices modern day seidr is Bil Linzie, who uses Saami shamanism to fill in some gaps in his own practice.

This is a marvelous introduction to the historical seidr: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/seidhr.shtml

Diana Paxson's website: http://www.hrafnar.org/articles.html

Her article about recovering oracular practice: http://www.hrafnar.org/seidh.html

An essay by kvedulf Gundarsson: http://www.scribd.com/cosmic_soul/d/19168371-SpaeCraft-Seidr-and-Shamanism

Jordsvin's seidr bibliography: http://home.earthlink.net/~jordsvin/Seidhr/SeidhrBibliography.htm (it should be noted that not all of these books are worth their weight in salt. but he seems to list them for the sake of giving people a chance to read them and decide for themselves)

And Bil Linzie's site, for interest; even though he doesn't really talk about seidr itself, and more about Germanic heathenry, but he does mention his own practice at times: http://www.angelfire.com/nm/seidhman/index.html

Hope it helps a little :D

WhiteWarrior
24-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Wow, this is going to help a bit all right. Thanks. I will read, and then be back with more questions no doubt :)

Animus27
24-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Wow, this is going to help a bit all right. Thanks. I will read, and then be back with more questions no doubt :)
You're welcomed! :wink:

WhiteWarrior
24-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Well, after reading some and skimming the rest it seems the first link had most to offer. After comparing what the volves and seidrs were doing it seems clear to me that what I can do comes under the seidrmann's cloak - journeying, healing, affecting minds. It has a lot in common with shamanism. I intend to look further into this. The main thing I can't do that seidrmen were capable of was channeling, but even without that there's a lot I might be able to learn more about. Pity there's few books from the viking age :) Actually I might go straight to the spirits for this.

LadyTerra
30-03-2012, 06:28 PM
My heritage is 3/4 Nordic--German/Swede (with the largest portion being Swedish).

The Volva--were tribal High-Priestesses that traveled from place to place (usually accompanied by their Priestesses--the Disir). The Priestess would sing the Volva into a trance--during which--she would predict the welfare of the tribe through the Seasons of the coming Year--including (primarily) how MotherNature would effect their fortunes--which were dependent upon Her good-will as the majority of AncientTribes were nomadic and (of course) at the mercy of the Elements.

The association with ill-fate stems from the fact that they were in the service of Freyja--(the WarriorMotherGoddess and sometimes Crone) and were charged with the deliverance of Her KarmicJustice to any who were deserving.

Peace and Love on your path to discovering the Mysteries...

Blessed be...

Animus27
30-03-2012, 08:17 PM
The association with ill-fate stems from the fact that they were in the service of Freyja--(the WarriorMotherGoddess and sometimes Crone) and were charged with the deliverance of Her KarmicJustice to any who were deserving.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

LadyTerra
31-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Can you clarify what you mean by this?

I'ld say it is fairly self-explanitory. What part confuses you--(perhaps I can help)?

Animus27
31-03-2012, 07:08 PM
I'ld say it is fairly self-explanitory. What part confuses you--(perhaps I can help)?
What led you to the conclusion that volvas and seidr-folk went about dispensing "karmic justice" in the name of Freyja? And what makes you think the Old Norse peoples believed in karma as we understand it?

LadyTerra
02-04-2012, 04:29 AM
What led you to the conclusion that volvas and seidr-folk went about dispensing "karmic justice" in the name of Freyja? And what makes you think the Old Norse peoples believed in karma as we understand it?

My beliefs are based on my own personal research and experience and (as I respect and honor your right to form your own opinions) they are not up for debate.

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...

Animus27
02-04-2012, 06:00 PM
My beliefs are based on my own personal research and experience and (as I respect and honor your right to form your own opinions) they are not up for debate.

Blessed be...
Forgive me. The way you spoke of it was as if it was factual, and not personal belief. Thanks anyway though.

LadyTerra
02-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Forgive me. The way you spoke of it was as if it was factual, and not personal belief. Thanks anyway though.

Thank you.

The word "Volva" is Swedish in origin--meaning (MareWoman).

The Woman's Magick governed by the Goddess Freyja is refered to as Seidr.

The Valkyries and those practicing Seidr are believed to possess the Gift of Shapeshifting and one of the forms often taken was that of a Mare.

They and the Disir are associated with the title of FuneraryPriestess--caring for the Souls (particularly of fallen Warriors--Women included) and guiding them to their destination--whether it be Freyja's Valhalla, or the Underworld presided over by the Goddess Hel.

They were not the Priestesses of good-fortune (alone)--but worked in association w/ the Nourns to deliver (I used the phrase KarmicJustice--which more might relate to) the Wyrd--which is roughly translated as Fate.

In my Tradition what is sent comes back--positive acts times 3 and negative acts times 10. We believe that it is quite possible for entire bloodlines to be cursed with the Wyrd (as it pertains to families)--even if all they did was look the other way and permit an atrocity to take place.

The Priestesses were Warriors (as well) and frequently wore armor adorned w/ the feathers of Ravens--which is another of the forms They were able to assume.

Peace and Love on your path to discovering the Mysteries...

Blessed be...

WhiteWarrior
02-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Speaking as a Norwegian....

A volva is someone who can see the future. A Mare is a dream visitor.

That the Valkyries are shapeshifters is news to me, but I won't discount it.

Seidr was practiced by both men and women. Mostly women though.

LadyTerra
02-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Speaking as a Norwegian....

A volva is someone who can see the future. A Mare is a dream visitor.

That the Valkyries are shapeshifters is news to me, but I won't discount it.

Seidr was practiced by both men and women. Mostly women though.

We are in agreement.

Men did practice Seidr and still do.

However--the thread was pertaining to the Volva and so that is where I placed my focus.

The Volva was sung into a trance--the songs being more closely associated w/ a rhythmic chanting--which employed the AncientPoetry (spellcasting--perhaps:wink: )--while in the trance it was thought that the Volva was able to communicate w/ those beyond the Veil. She would receive her guidance and omens from them and pass them on--frequently with advice and how to proceed--if at all possible.

I believe this Magick still exists (today) and has been passed down through the bloodlines--although diluted--when tapped into it is still just as powerful and awesome. I am decended from them and the Magick that I perform is reflective, instinctive, and sometimes frightening to others--which is why I have always practiced as a Solitary.

Apart from the trance, caring for departed Souls, Shapeshifting, and the deliverance of the Wyrd--They performed Religious duties (in general) that could be seen as kindred to Shamanism. HealingMagick is a great Gift of the Goddess and another that has been passed down to me.

Blessed be...