PDA

View Full Version : if buddhists believe this world is an illusion what do they believe about the real

jturk
22-03-2012, 10:55 PM
world or what exactly is the real world to them?

CSEe
27-03-2012, 03:55 AM
In my current opinion , "Buddhist" is never existed in Buddhism as buddhism is a PROCESS of understanding ownself by being awake by own realization . One should free himself from all his knowledge , accepted himself of SAME and EQUAL with all beings ( living or non-living ) to know and understand own purity . Therefore one SHOULD NEVER distingust / differenciate himslf from others by grouping as "Buddhist"......

There is "no real world" in Buddhism .is only a REALIZATION of ownself , in own beings .

Thks
CSEe

Xan
27-03-2012, 04:00 AM
if buddhists believe this world is an illusion what do they believe about the real world or what exactly is the real world to them?

In Buddhism the 'real' is not made of beliefs like this illusory ever-changing world is subject to.

The Real to discover and know in one's own direct experience is unchanging pure aware beingness.

Meditation is the way.

Xan

declan
30-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Buddhists don,t believe the world is an illusion, quite the opposite.The illusion referred to is the mental constructs which we make in our minds.The explanations and stories we tell ourselves are the illusions.

Arcturus
30-03-2012, 11:57 PM
i thought the idea is that the physical world is illusory, i.e. not what it appears, meaning it's not as solid as we think etc, but yes certainly not an "illusion" in any way, very real...

Xan
31-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Yes...That's one aspect of the illusion. Even seemingly solid matter is really energies - molecules, atoms, electrons, photons, etc. and open space between them.

Xan

Samana
31-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Buddhists don,t believe the world is an illusion, quite the opposite.The illusion referred to is the mental constructs which we make in our minds.The explanations and stories we tell ourselves are the illusions.

Yes, and we continue to create our own suffering because of our ignorance of its causes.

The online study guide at Buddhanet is helpful for anyone wishing to learn more about Buddhism.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/guide.htm

with kind wishes to all,

S.

oliness
02-04-2012, 12:09 AM
There are two levels of truth, conventional and ultimate. Conventional truth has validity due to conventions (what perceiving minds agree to label as true). That applies to all the objects in this world. Ultimate truth, emptiness or sunyata is the pure nature of consciousness itself. This is indescribable but is the reality behind conventional truths.

psychoslice
02-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Speaking from my own inn Buddha Consciousness, I think there is no belief in the so called real, there is just what IS, and in what IS all beliefs are left behind, because in pure Essence there is no thought, no concepts, just pure Silence.

Arcturus
02-04-2012, 07:21 PM
i see now, there is the illusory nature of the physical realm and the illusory nature of mental awareness. whereas truth can be perceived directly in other dimensions, here it has become possible that truth may not be perceived at all.

oliness
02-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Ultimate truth is perceived when there is no longer the duality of the perceiver and perceived, when there is just Pure Awareness.

Samana
03-04-2012, 05:38 AM
'Pure Awareness' alone isn't enlightenment however. There are other qualities such as wisdom, dispassion, discernment, compassion, loving kindness, equanimity, clarity and penetrating insight.

:smile:

psychoslice
03-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Enlightenment is the Realization of Being pure Awareness, but whatever traits we have come from knowing that we are all ONE, we love another because the other is our SELF, but the idea of doing good to each other has nothing to do with pure Being, pure Being has no rights or wrongs, its without judgment.

xebiche
07-04-2012, 09:26 AM
they dont think the world is an illusion.

they think the world is a middle path that represents the combination of what we see and what we dont.

the illusion is that we are only seeing and therefore interpriting half the picture.

kabes
02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Don't believe anything we say, do the practice and see for yourself! :)

CharlotteSometimes
06-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Philip K **** once said "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away". :)

oliness
06-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Everything is just a belief until realization occurs. Then there is no need for a belief or for faith. You know by being the truth. You are emptiness, ultimate reality. It is undeniable, the suchness of everything.

mintkiss
08-05-2012, 03:16 AM
I often think of this quote by the Buddha:

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

With questions like this It often matters who you ask but I think more importantly, it matters what you think.

Rin
08-05-2012, 04:28 AM
Today not even physicists belief that the world is real.

declan and oliness have given excellent answers, no need for me to repeat what they said.

catatonic
22-05-2012, 05:03 PM
everything in this world is annica/impermanence :smile:

Gr4ssh0pp3r
22-05-2012, 11:09 PM
I am real.

Samana
23-05-2012, 06:54 AM
It's one's perception of the world which is the illusion because the mind is clouded by desire, attachment, dislike and and delusion .

Morpheus
12-06-2012, 02:05 AM
jturk:
if buddhists believe this world is an illusion what do they believe about the real
world or what exactly is the real world to them?

Speaking from my own inn Buddha Consciousness, I think there is no belief in the so called real, there is just what IS, and in what IS all beliefs are left behind, because in pure Essence there is no thought, no concepts, just pure Silence.

"When I have taught non-Self, fools uphold the teaching that there is no Self.
The wise know that such is conventional speech, and they are free from doubts."

"When I have taught that the tathagata-garbha is empty, fools meditatively cultivate [the notion] that it is extinction [uccheda], subject to destruction and imperfect. The wise know that it is [actually] unchanging, stable and eternal."
Siddartha Guatama

Morpheus
12-06-2012, 02:13 AM
I am real.

Regarding reality, and consciousness, Inventor and philosopher Dr. Young has something to say about it's emergence from, "Light":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR8Fkgqj7yg&feature=relmfu

I'm real

"Cypher (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Fname%2F nm0001592%2F): You know, I know this steak doesn't exist.

I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize?
[Takes a bite of steak]

Cypher (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Fname%2F nm0001592%2F): Ignorance is bliss."

takso
23-08-2012, 07:29 AM
'An illusion is a perceptual disturbance, while a delusion is a belief disturbance.'

What is an existence? What exists is defined as that which can be known. If it cannot be known by the mind, then it does not exist. And things can exist as in fallacy or in reality. And reality can then be sub-divided into conventional reality and ultimate reality.

In the conventional reality, dualism or multiplicity exists. There would be a subject ponders at the other side of the object or matter - phenomenon arises. And phenomenon is thing that appears to or is perceived by senses and therefore, it is empty. From direct experience, we know that humans and things cause pleasure and pain, and that they can help and harm. Therefore, phenomena certainly do exist but the question is how? They do not exist in their own quality but only have an existence dependent upon many factors, including a consciousness that conceptualises them. Thus it is not that you come to understand that the object or phenomenon does not exist but rather, you find that its inherent existence is unfounded. This is the ultimate discovery about the orientation of the nature.

But in the ultimate reality, things do not exist in the ways that concepts and language imply they do. Things would only exist as in deepest facts i.e. it is beyond mind and beyond concepts and words in the sense that it is beyond our usual ways of perceiving things. Existence in the deepest fact would mean no perception, no conception, no label, no boundary, no name, no activity, no shape, no relation, no description, no stereotyping, etc. In the end, no dualism or multiplicity would exist because there is no mind arising as a subject pondering at the other side of the object or matter. Subsequently, there is no dependent arising in the ultimate reality and nothing has ever changed - no beginning, no ending.