PDA

View Full Version : Cutting your hair

Tanith
19-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I was curious; I know little about Native American spiritualism but my mother and I were having a discussion the other day about getting our hair cut. She has stopped having her hair cut about the time I did; which was nearly a year ago. She told me that some Native American beliefs sort of held the idea that hair should not be cut for various reasons. I've done a bit of research but can't find anything that seems to be first-hand knowledge.

What are some of the reasons? I'm curious if it is simply because hair is natural and like nature should not be forcibly altered (as I believe) or if it was something deeper?

In short, what does Native American spiritualism say about cutting one's hair?

Thanks in advance!

Wisa'ka
19-03-2012, 03:19 PM
I was curious; I know little about Native American spiritualism but my mother and I were having a discussion the other day about getting our hair cut. She has stopped having her hair cut about the time I did; which was nearly a year ago. She told me that some Native American beliefs sort of held the idea that hair should not be cut for various reasons. I've done a bit of research but can't find anything that seems to be first-hand knowledge.

What are some of the reasons? I'm curious if it is simply because hair is natural and like nature should not be forcibly altered (as I believe) or if it was something deeper?

In short, what does Native American spiritualism say about cutting one's hair?

Thanks in advance!

That depends upon the individual tribe, one would suppose.

Tanith
19-03-2012, 03:43 PM
This is true, but even individual tribes often held the same or similar beliefs when it came to many aspects of spiritualism, didn't they?

Wisa'ka
19-03-2012, 03:56 PM
This is true, but even individual tribes often held the same or similar beliefs when it came to many aspects of spiritualism, didn't they?

Do you mean spirituality in regards to the way an individual wears their hair ?

If so there were as many different ways of wearing one's hair as there were tribal cultures.

Personal grooming should always be left up to the individual.

RiversLady
20-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Hair styles differed with what was popular at the time and which tribe you were in. Think Mohawk and scalp lock. Rituals for coming of age and grief had some hair cutting in some tribes.
There was one constant: the danger of letting the cut hair get into the hands of a bad person. Hair and nail trimmings were a part of you, so they had to be disposed of in a way that prevented them from being used against you.

Tanith
20-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I heard that many native american cultures did not believe they should cut their hair at all because it would limit their perceptions of the spirits around them, or something to that effect.

I wasn't really talking about "styles" or anything, I was simply wondering if this belief was true, or if someone could enlighten me on the subject in more depth.

That is interesting information, RiversLady, about not letting hair fall in the hands of an enemy. Hair clippings (and nail clippings) can be used in other types of spellwork so that does make sense.

Wisa'ka
20-03-2012, 12:25 PM
For some tribes, the ones where both women and men wore their hair long, cutting it was often done in mourning a dead loved one.

Women of various tribes would either cut or let their hair grow longer in a display of marital status. In some plains tribes and most of the eastern woodlands a warrior would pluck or shave the majority or part of his head into a scalp lock as a challenge for an enemy to come take his scalp.

The concept that all Indians wore/wear their hair long is a fallacy.

Sorry I could not answer your question the way you wanted me to.

Tanith
20-03-2012, 02:26 PM
I assumed that some tribes were different; that not all tribes followed this. There's enough evidence in history to prove as much that not all tribes didn't cut their hair. I simply was curious how common of a belief it was or if there was any truth to it at all.

Thank you :)

Dragonfhain
22-03-2012, 03:38 AM
I was told that some tribes did not cut their hair as it was natural (as you stated) and that natural should be left to their natural state. Well, that's what I was told. There was a lot more to it but I can't really remember. There are other reasons also, one was that was how some of them felt about their hair, others that was what guides told them. Sometimes it was kept long for practical reasons. I wish I could remember it and it really bugs me that I can't.
But anyway that was what I have been told or I have learned. But personally I like my hair long. It suits me =)

elisi
02-06-2014, 05:19 PM
just speaking for me, hair is our power. old beliefs say if someone has your hair they can cast witching on you.

hair also is like an antennae-picking up energies.

some of my friends say, 'oh, your older now, don't you think you should cut your hair?'

i say nay, nay. :)

Star Wolf Medicine Woman
03-06-2014, 10:38 PM
3 years ago my Northern Cheyenne buddy came to the uk for the first time.. The Elders told him to cut his hair short, saying he would blend in and not suffer discrimination etc.. When he arrived everyone said... Why did you cut your hair? He was sent home and told to grow it back... In a light hearted manner of course.. his wife who had a Hair salon on the Rez cut it for him, but unknown to him, she shaved the letters Uk 2 inches high in the back of his head... It was a whole week before anyone told him what she had done.. They both have a wonderful sense of humour.... He took to wearing a bandana with a baseball cap over it after that..

My Cherokee friend had not cut her hair since childhood until last month.. Then she had it cut and donated the hair to be made into wigs for children with Cancer, who lost their hair thru Chemotherapy... It was a good reason and a kind thing to do....

elisi
03-06-2014, 10:52 PM
yes, an excellent reason. good for her!

Raven Poet
08-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Very interesting conversation. I've been growing my hair too - and people have said I should cut it - they think it makes me look older. But the thing is ... I AM older! ha ha. In fact, some day soon I am going to give up on this hair dye business and let the grey come, and braid my hair so I look like my beautiful brown, round Ojibwe grannies! I already see their faces when I look in the mirror.

I recently listened to an Elder talk about his granddaughter putting her hair in braids. She says that when she braids her hair, she does better in school, feels more at ease and confident, and she thinks more clearly. Another Elder says braids represent body, mind, and spirit.

So it would seem our hair is an extension of our ourselves; and by keeping it tidy and wrapped in braids, it's as if doing so unites body, mind, and spirit, and we become more focussed and grounded.

I've also heard about the "hair as antennae" thing ... that makes sense. As far as the theory about others getting ahold of our hair and clippings to do
"black medicine", I am not so sure about that - I like to think my helpers and guardians have a better watch over me than that! But really, what do I know about the vast mysteries of this universe? Not so much at all ...:dontknow:

That's what I understand at this time in my earth walk.

elisi
08-06-2014, 02:48 PM
raven poet

i too wear my hair in braids. mainly because it's very long and i do it to keep it cool and from getting tangled. (it's pretty think)

alot of my friend have short hair. they call me 'the hippie' of the group. i don't care. i like it this way.

Raven Poet
08-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Hey, elisi! Right on - way to go for knowing who you are and what you like! All these tired old ideas about women and appearance get on my nerves - ever since I recently turned 50, I've noticed there is a wonderful power that comes with this age (as well as more aches and pains, but hey - that's the way life goes! You take the good with the not so good.)

Hair is such a personal thing; it says so much about our identity, doesn't it? Mine isn't long enough for "real" braids yet - it tends to grow thick instead of length. But I will get there.

elisi
08-06-2014, 03:06 PM
power does come with age.

did you see the movie 'fried green tomatoes'?

i live the scene when kathy bates rams her car into a carload of young women.

priceless.

as i age, i could care less what others think of me, i don't worry about the small stuff, i do and say whatever i want.

loving being me!

Faith33
08-06-2014, 03:14 PM
This is an interesting topic.
Though I'm not Native American, the women in my village (and especially the older generations) have always worn their hair long, in braids and wrapped in black bandanas.

Women like my grandmothers have never had a blade to their hair, nor color.

For them, the braids symbolized maturity, wisdom and "ethics" .

A woman who cut her hair in those days was considered "tainted". :O

Raven Poet
08-06-2014, 03:17 PM
I LOVED that scene! Kathy Bates killed it! She's so good.

Hollywood is finally starting to wake up that we all don't have to be young twenty-something hot bodies to exist - and dare I say thrive? - in NA society. I am seeing more movies (one of my fave hobbies) depict older woman as sexual, sassy, and powerful.

Just caught a newer movie on the tv last night: "RED" (2010). Helen Mirren played a retired assassin - and she was sassy and beautiful, with her own love story in the film! Loved that part. Of course, Bruce Willis was with the much younger Mary-Louise Parker, so that was still status quo (older guy younger woman). But still, it was lovely to see Helen Mirren play such an empowered role!

I am so glad that you love being you!

elisi
08-06-2014, 03:53 PM
could be ancestral memory also. i'm twister clan. they were known for their elaborate hairstyles and braids. i had a vision of my grandmother (who died before i could meet her). she had her back to me. she had her hair in 3 braids pulled together at the bottom and tied off with raven feathers.

i've worn that style to many a ceremony. made me feel connected to her.

Raven Poet
09-06-2014, 02:52 AM
This is an interesting topic.
Though I'm not Native American, the women in my village (and especially the older generations) have always worn their hair long, in braids and wrapped in black bandanas.

Women like my grandmothers have never had a blade to their hair, nor color.

For them, the braids symbolized maturity, wisdom and "ethics" .

A woman who cut her hair in those days was considered "tainted". :O
Ooooh, Hope33 - I like your culture's ideas about braids!

And "tainted"? Wow - I wonder how that connection got conceived???

Raven Poet
09-06-2014, 02:53 AM
could be ancestral memory also. i'm twister clan. they were known for their elaborate hairstyles and braids. i had a vision of my grandmother (who died before i could meet her). she had her back to me. she had her hair in 3 braids pulled together at the bottom and tied off with raven feathers.

i've worn that style to many a ceremony. made me feel connected to her.
Oh that is BEE YEW TI FUL! I can almost see her! Post a picture if you are comfortable doing that - it sounds stunning! And that your choice to wear your hair "her" way connects you to her ... that is so beautiful.

Wow - who knew hair was so freakin' powerful? Love it!

elisi
09-06-2014, 03:29 AM
a picture of her? or me?

either way i'd have to get a friend to do it for me. i'm a computer illiterate.

the only photo of my grandmother is an old sepia photo of her sitting on a large grey horse. she has on a long skirt and a man's white shirt with the sleeves rolled up. unfortunately, you can't see her hair well, she has it pulled back in a loose bun.

Raven Poet
09-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Either or both! Don't worry about it, Elisi. Your words put such a lovely picture in my mind I was curious to see if it looked similar to reality, so I got impulsive and asked.

I love that you have a picture of your grandmother! I wish I had! So I have to rely on the pictures I make in my mind of them.

elisi
09-06-2014, 02:48 PM
someday i'll get around to taking some basic computer classes. :)