PDA

View Full Version : Digital VS Traditional

Aria_Jadewing
15-03-2012, 11:47 PM
I mostly draw on a digital canvas, and while I do a lot of traditional as well, I don't have the supplies (or the money to buy said supplies) To buy canvas and pain to try and to do spiritual paintings. I asked around, and I heard that it's nearly impossible to do a truly spiritual painting digitally. I disagree, but what do you guys think?

psychoslice
15-03-2012, 11:53 PM
To me as an artist its all the same, we just express ourselves through whatever medium, but for me personally I still love the traditional oil painting.

Squatchit
16-03-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm with Mr Slice on this. Use what you can. Biro & post-it note, if that's all you have. Creativity is creativity. :smile:

What is a spiritual painting anyway? Is it a painting of spiritual beings? Or a painting coming from your spirit? Or a painting by a spirit through you? Or something else? Whatever it is, I fail to see why it would be deemed impossible digitally. :confused:

Rin
16-03-2012, 01:53 PM
I mostly draw on a digital canvas, and while I do a lot of traditional as well, I don't have the supplies (or the money to buy said supplies) To buy canvas and pain to try and to do spiritual paintings. I asked around, and I heard that it's nearly impossible to do a truly spiritual painting digitally. I disagree, but what do you guys think?
I think that technology has built-in barriers, certainly at this time of using it, which are much higher than when one uses natural materials and a more direct interaction. Taking a painting for example, there is the texture of the canvas, manipulating it before one even begins, possibly the smell of the paint, the actions required to get the right color and maybe consistency, etc, etc.

Evaah
16-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I do "spiritual" artwork primarily through digital canvas, as well, for the same reason you do - because I'm an art student and I need to save money for supplies I need for school. It also prevents me from having to worry about mailing out artwork (since my work is generally made for others).

I feel "spiritual" artwork comes from within, and yes, creativity is creativity... I still do some traditional "spiritual" work and I definitely plan on completing traditional paintings, but in the meantime, digital is my preferred method.

Plus, it's hard to resist all those fab glowy effects.